1 5.26%

4 21.05%
  • The Road Virus Heads North

3 15.79%
  • All That You Love Will Be Carried Away

1 5.26%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FINAL: Best Short Story Award

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default FINAL: Best Short Story Award

As nominated by our membership in the nomination round, please vote now for the short story you feel should win the award for Best Short Story.

The 2009 finalists:
    All That You Love Will Be Carried Away
    Dolan's Cadillac
    Here There Be Tygers
    Jerusalem's Lot
    Lunch at the Gotham Café
    Nona
    Strawberry Spring
    The Boogeyman
    The Man in the Black Suit

2009 winner: 1408

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Will there be a second tiebreaker? I missed it completely.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not yet, now only if there's a tie in this round

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Come on, peeps, only eight votes in this huge award, really?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, not even the top 3 short stories are on this list. So I refuse to vote.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Which are what?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Me, I just can't make up m'mind.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Which are what?
    Top 5
    IMO:

In no particular order...

Survivor Type
    Suffer the Little Children
    Gramma
    The Raft
    Children of the Corn

There are several on this Final List that, frankly, I can't imagine why they are even an option.

That said.
    My favorite from this list is Lunch at the Gothic Cafe. But, I don't feel compelled to vote for it, because it would be much further down on my personal list. And there are a couple on here that I felt were the absolute worst from their respective collections.

Also is Dolan's Cadillac not a novella? If not, then I definitely would expect to see the Mist here.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Dolan's Cadillac is a novella. You can vote for it at the separate novella/novelette award poll.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Same here. How did the stories get chosen?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post

By nomination, and seconding, thirding, etc. Best possible method for producing good results, but I disagree with the results none the less.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post

By nomination, and seconding, thirding, etc. Best possible method for producing good results, but I disagree with the results none the less.
    Thanks. I wish I could've been around to pick the ones I liked best
    I'm sorry everyone but I can't vote for any of these. I really didn't find these near good enough to be considered "Best short story".

Country
    Country Flag

bears are surprised that Lunch at the Gotham Café hasn't gotten any votes so far...

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My fav from the list is Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, but for reasons above, I havent voted. I may vote at the end to break the tie if necessary.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Strawberry Spring.
    I read this story when I was pretty young, and it's what made me really appreciate the magic of literature.

Country
    Country Flag

1408 is winning, but not very convincingly

more votes! more votes!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah, but the stories that are right behind it are very worthy ones. The Man in the Black Suit is my favorite among King's short stories.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The votes are really scattered in this category.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    The votes are really scattered in this category.
    I'm hoping we can revise the appended categories voting procedures for the future, so that we don't end up with a 10-choice final.

Country
    Country Flag

I entirely rely on your guidance here, pablo. I don't have experience enough to know which way is more likely to yield a satisfactory result, so I hope to have worked out the procedure together with you before the next season starts!

+ Reply to Thread