Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
Interesting concept, using character development from different novels, written by different authors, to "flesh out" other characters.
I know it sounds a bit off, but if you look at the characters themselves, then you'll see that there are some important similarities. Some of the plot elements that change Winston and Marcus into their subversive characters happen on a similar level to Montag. The three of them go through a similar level of growth (the same type of growth, for the most part), and two of them even go through it with literature (Winston has The Book, Montag has the Bible, if I remember right)! Marcus, on the other hand, uses the internet since it's set in modern time. I think the references to other subversive novels is fairly obvious, the heaviest of which being 1984, and, like all good authors, I believe Bradbury used Winston as a character model for Montag. And I know for a fact that Doctorow got the idea for Marcus from Winston, so therefore Montag can be seen as a variation of Marcus.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing