Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blockade Billy

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Blockade Billy

Thought we could start a thread on Blockade Billy.
    I started it last night and finished it. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Sadly it was so short. King's description of baseball was great and I could see that if you do not know much about baseball you may have a harder time understanding some of the words/situations. Good short story for sure!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't received the book yet but I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon, together with UR (I don't own a Kindle but my iPod Touch has a free Kindle application).

I have to say I liked the story a lot (and I know next to nothing about baseball!).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the story quite a bit. The illustrations did nothing for me and, honestly, I didn't like them at all. The price of the book ($25) is pretty high for relatively little reading time.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I liked the story quite a bit. The illustrations did nothing for me and, honestly, I didn't like them at all. The price of the book ($25) is pretty high for relatively little reading time.
    Agreed and agreed. The eBook also cost me something like $12 which I normally wouldn't pay for the experience of reading off a small screen... but I felt the urge to read the story ASAP so I succumbed...

(never used that word before! I love the English language!)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    but I felt the urge to read the story ASAP so I succumbed...
    As a long time, and frequent, succumber I can relate to that.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

It was an enjoyable story. Love Sai King's descriptions as always...and being told as someone talking to Steve was a nice way to tell the tale
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Along the Path of the Beam giggler5 is on a distinguished road giggler5's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i thought it came out later this month. either way, can't wait to read it. books on baseball are almost more enjoyable the watching the game itself, for me anyway.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Scribner Edition does come out later this month. The Cemetery Dance First Edition came out last month.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

On a scale of 5:
    Story-3
    Cover Illustration-4
    Interior illustrations-2
    Baseball card-2
    Price-1
    Design and binding-4
    Overall-2+

It was generous of SK to give this to CD and the overall result is fine. It was a nice surprise so I have no complaints but the reality is BB is an overpriced, over-hyped short story.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with it being overpriced for such a quick read. Has anyone seen the prices some people are asking for BB on Ebay or Abebooks? $75 obo & $160 obo on Ebay.
    One seller on ABEbooks is asking $242!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo56 View Post
    I have to agree with it being overpriced for such a quick read. Has anyone seen the prices some people are asking for BB on Ebay or Abebooks? $75 obo & $160 obo on Ebay.
    What do you mean? This is a limited edition of just 10K copies! Wait until you see what the second printing with the cream colored end papers sell for!

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

ha! i love it!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    What do you mean? This is a limited edition of just 10K copies! Wait until you see what the second printing with the cream colored end papers sell for!
    I wouldn't be surprised if the second printing sells for a bit more than the first, given that most of the second printing is NOT going to collectors.

John

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the second printing sells for a bit more than the first, given that most of the second printing is NOT going to collectors.

John
    Can't say I really agree with that statement John. CD made it pretty clear in the email that people buying the 2nd printing from them get priority and that whatever is left will be sent to libraries.

I'm fully expecting an email to this effect...

"We had such a massive show in interest in the 2nd printing from collectors, we've nearly sold 95% of the 2nd printing to private collectors, with it's uniquely unique and rare cream colored end pages of awesomeness that we have obtained permission for a 3rd printing to accommodate libraries with uniquely unique and rare green end pages which are available for purchase at our website with whatever remains unsold after 2 weeks to be distributed to libraries"

Repeat this bi-weekly with a new color end pages until people say FU CD.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm holding out for turqoise

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Asking and getting are 2 different things. Lots of sellers on ebay have King books at prices that will never be realised.

In a few months it will be on ebay for half the list price.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    It was an enjoyable story. Love Sai King's descriptions as always...and being told as someone talking to Steve was a nice way to tell the tale
    Baseball book with no Yankee's in it? Preposterous!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Asking and getting are 2 different things. Lots of sellers on ebay have King books at prices that will never be realised.

In a few months it will be on ebay for half the list price.
    Not just Ebay, but Amazon will be selling used copies....this book will be cheap for a looooong time.

I'll get the Amazon cheap trade edition eventually, I suppose.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What did you guys do with the baseball card?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe this should be moved to Cara Laughs?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Put it the spokes on my bike.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I traded mine for a Mickey Mantle rookie card.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I traded mine for a Mickey Mantle rookie card.
    Nice trade up!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I was wondering what the hell to do with it myself. Provided you put a brodart plastic jacket cover on it, the card fits nicely tucked between that and the jacket flap (front or back). Oh, I'm sure there are acidity issues with the card laying right on the jacket flap that way, but I don't really care. It's all not that interesting anymore, and I'm not really worried about this book ever commanding serious prices in my lifetime- or my kids'.

Ron

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Using it as a bookmark while reading the book?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast