Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 254 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    With the news that HBO is now also delving into Asimov's Foundation series (http://electricliterature.com/isaac-...onathan-nolan/), in addition to working on Atwood's MaddAddam series, plus of course that Game of whatever thing, it's becoming quite clear The Dark Tower is almost certainly not going to be shown on the big screen. Serial television is just too good nowadays. The world moving on will be televised (sort of). Netflix has come up before in this discussion, and they themselves are dipping into more epic productions with the upcoming Marco Polo series. So HBO is probably definitely out, but Netflix might be a good destination for a proper multi-season series. It could be a limited series, all shot at the same time, shown in several seasons. I think they could easily do three or four seasons of several 60-90 minute episodes and do the books justice. Other than HBO and Netflix, Showtime may be a destination, but I don't see The Dark Tower as their type of show. There's also Starz but they've already got a time-traveling fantasy series going in Outlander. I just don't think the idea of theatrical movies alternating with television seasons (a great idea on paper) is really ever gonna work.

So, Netflix?

Quick and dirty series overview with nineteen 90-minute (or more) episodes:
    • Season 1: The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three (Episodes 1 through 4)
    • Season 2: The Waste Lands and The Wizard and Glass (Episodes 5 though 8)
    • Season 3: The Wizard and Glass and The Wind Through the Keyhole (Episodes 9 through 11)
    • Season 4: Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah (Episodes 12 through 14)
    • Season 5: Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower (Episodes 15 through 19)
    What you suggest seems very plausible however, I don't think they will incorporate more than a slight nod at TWTTKH. It's not essential to the overall story. Besides, if the series proved to be successful it would give them follow-up material to work with.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

What you suggest seems very plausible however, I don't think they will incorporate more than a slight nod at TWTTKH. It's not essential to the overall story. Besides, if the series proved to be successful it would give them follow-up material to work with.
    I agree with Bill on this one. Although I'm not sure we would even get a sniff of TWTTKH.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    With the news that HBO is now also delving into Asimov's Foundation series (http://electricliterature.com/isaac-...onathan-nolan/), in addition to working on Atwood's MaddAddam series, plus of course that Game of whatever thing, it's becoming quite clear The Dark Tower is almost certainly not going to be shown on the big screen. Serial television is just too good nowadays. The world moving on will be televised (sort of). Netflix has come up before in this discussion, and they themselves are dipping into more epic productions with the upcoming Marco Polo series. So HBO is probably definitely out, but Netflix might be a good destination for a proper multi-season series. It could be a limited series, all shot at the same time, shown in several seasons. I think they could easily do three or four seasons of several 60-90 minute episodes and do the books justice. Other than HBO and Netflix, Showtime may be a destination, but I don't see The Dark Tower as their type of show. There's also Starz but they've already got a time-traveling fantasy series going in Outlander. I just don't think the idea of theatrical movies alternating with television seasons (a great idea on paper) is really ever gonna work.

So, Netflix?

Quick and dirty series overview with nineteen 90-minute (or more) episodes:
    • Season 1: The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three (Episodes 1 through 4)
    • Season 2: The Waste Lands and The Wizard and Glass (Episodes 5 though 8)
    • Season 3: The Wizard and Glass and The Wind Through the Keyhole (Episodes 9 through 11)
    • Season 4: Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah (Episodes 12 through 14)
    • Season 5: Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower (Episodes 15 through 19)
    IMO that would be too short IMO for the later books at least. Even if you manage to fit all the essential story material it would be like how King compared abridging The Stand to a Cadillac with all the chrome ripped off.

10 hours isn't long enough for George RR Martin's books and combining the DT books you'd run into the problems they're facing.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Late to the party on this, but I'd be completely fine with both a Susannah with legs, and Roland with 10 fingers. For the purists, perhaps we could have the lobstrosities pierce Roland's arm or hand, an injury which he heals from soon after.

Hell, Roland having all 10 digits might even help underscore the strength of the ka-tet's bond in a way; even though Roland has full use of both gun slinging hands, he still entrusts one of his revolvers to Eddie. A symbol of the confidence he has in him/them and their death dealing abilities.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could deal without the missing fingers but Susannah's legs are a big part of who she is.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW Upon my first reading of the novels I was in shock when, Roland the lead character lost his fingers and was like, this ain't good. Then the whole Odetta with no legs and I was like this really is a fucked up way for him to go. However, in the end it all worked for the best and I wouldn't change a thing. The screenwriters should do the same. Those maladies became a part of who they were. JMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler stephenkingcast will become famous soon enough

I would have no issues if any adaptation made significant changes to the story. As long as the key aspects to the characters are intact, then I'll be happy.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    FWIW Upon my first reading of the novels I was in shock when, Roland the lead character lost his fingers and was like, this ain't good. Then the whole Odetta with no legs and I was like this really is a fucked up way for him to go. However, in the end it all worked for the best and I wouldn't change a thing. The screenwriters should do the same. Those maladies became a part of who they were. JMHO
    I can see where you're coming from, but ultimately I would chalk those up to cosmetic changes. These purported modifications wouldn't be detrimental to the story in any way.

A good example is Tyrion from Game of Thrones. He pretty much gets his nose cut off in the books, but in the show they chose to give him a deep scar across the length of his face. Slight change, same concept.

It also makes sense from a financial stand point in that they'd have to CGI the four missing fingers, money and time that would be better allocated elsewhere.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with regard to the missing fingers. No sense in CGI-ing that for an entire movie or series. However, the legless female protagonist seems to me an essential part of the story. Same with her being a black chick. Personally, I wouldn't care if the script changed her into a leggy, white, pistol-packin' mama, but that's because I didn't care for the character hardly at all in the novels. But I could see where a fan of her would not want to see her disability (such a fundamental part of who she is) glossed over or disregarded.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I agree with regard to the missing fingers. No sense in CGI-ing that for an entire movie or series. However, the legless female protagonist seems to me an essential part of the story. Same with her being a black chick. Personally, I wouldn't care if the script changed her into a leggy, white, pistol-packin' mama, but that's because I didn't care for the character hardly at all in the novels. But I could see where a fan of her would not want to see her disability (such a fundamental part of who she is) glossed over or disregarded.
    If we are going to disregard key elements of the characters, perhaps Pauly Shore should play Roland, and beacuse she is the asctress Du jour, Jennifer Lawrence can be Detta (of course she will be white, have legs, and instead of guns/plates, she have a bow and arrow). Neil Patrick Harris can be Jake, and the only appropriate casting would be Robert Downey JR. as Eddie.

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Grumpy cat as OY???

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Grumpy cat as OY???
    Garfield, or a better tie-in would be the Racoon from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Grumpy cat as OY???
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Traveler horrorfan2647 will become famous soon enough

totally agree!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BREAKING:

http://deadline.com/2015/04/dark-tow...rc-1201407880/
    Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman has found a franchise to sink his teeth into. Sony Pictures has teamed with MRC to co-finance The Dark Tower, Stephen King’s novel series set in a world woven with magic and revolving around the gunslinger Roland Deschains. Sony will distribute what is planned to be the first in a series of movies. A complementary TV series is also being developed by MRC.

The new script is primarily based on the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, and the relationship between Roland and Jake. The film is a blend of horror and fantasy. The latest draft of the script is co-written by Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. It was totally reconceived by Goldsman and Pinkner from the version that had been previously developed and which took root first at Universal and later at Warner Bros. Goldsman is producing through his Weed Road with Imagine Entertainment’s Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins, and I believe the author is also in a producing capacity. Pinkner will be exec producer.

Sony and MRC will go right out after filmmakers with this script, and put this on the fast track that hard-core fans of King’s book have long desired. Numerous stars including Javier Bardem and Russell Crowe have eyed the role of the gunslinger, but that role won’t be filled until after the director is set.

King, who options his works for $1 and likes to see progress, has been incredibly patient as this mammoth project — it’s his answer to Tolkien’s Middle Earth novels — has taken its time and its twists and turns. He’s sparked about where the project is now.

“I’m excited that The Dark Tower is finally going to appear on the screen,” he said in a statement. “Those who have traveled with Roland and his friends in their search for the Dark Tower are going to have their long-held hopes fully realized. This is a brilliant and creative approach to my books.”

Said Rothman: “There are few projects out there that compare with the scope, vision, complex characters and fully drawn world that Stephen King has created with The Dark Tower. I am a giant fan. And, as Stephen himself does, we love the direction that Akiva and Jeff have taken. This is a great opportunity for a director to put his or her stamp on a cool global franchise.”

When Rothman was set to rise from his perch running TriStar to replace Amy Pascal as chairman, his biggest challenge was to create franchises. All around Hollywood, from Disney’s franchising of Marvel and Star Wars properties, Fox’s 3-sequel Avatar plans and Paramount hiring Goldsman to supervise Transformers sequels and spinoffs for his college pal Michael Bay, the studio business is all about the care and feeding of global franchises, and it is getting harder to find fresh intellectual properties. Rothman has found one with a wide built-in fan base.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, this is really good news!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't hold my breath until we have concrete casting news.

I got my hopes up when Warner announced how "excited" they were to adapt the series and that everything was being "fast tracked" and in the end they ended up giving it a pass.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I won't hold my breath until we have concrete casting news.

I got my hopes up when Warner announced how "excited" they were to adapt the series and that everything was being "fast tracked" and in the end they ended up giving it a pass.

Debbie Downer...

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Lol. I like to think of myself as a realist.

I've seen this movie before, no pun intended.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so excited I need a tissue!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Traveler CaptHowdy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

So much that can go wrong with this. And I really don't like the Goldsman & Pinkner part. (Watched the amazing spider-man 2 yesterday and was far from impressed with the writing...)
    But I still hope that this gets done. If it's done right it has the potential to be amazing.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so excited that this could really happen but yeah, I hope it's done right and doesn't ruin the most epic story of all time. There is a lot of potential for disappointment but there's also a lot of potential for something totally awesome!! Now if they'd just get on with it already!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

After some thought I think a Netflix series would be the best bet for something like this to be successful. Just because A.) 7+ movies for a relatively niche series is a big commitment and B.) as a series 'binge-watching' would be the best way to get over the hump with The Gunslinger and then go straight to The Drawing of the Three.

Let's say each season has at maximum 13 hour-long episodes:

Season 1: The Gunslinger + Drawing of the Three
    Season 2: The Waste Lands
    Season 3: Wizard and Glass
    Season 4: Wolves of the Calla
    Season 5: Song of Susannah + The Dark Tower

And if it's successful 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' could be a spinoff season.

I also think the idea of a 'shared universe' again is a huge risk and an example of biting off more than you can chew but I figure you could A.) make a stand-alone 'Salem's Lot movie with the same actor for Callahan and B.) have the same actor for Flagg from the upcoming Stand films reprise his role as well.

My Collection

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I really can't keep getting my hopes up for this movie until it's announced that the cast is set and filming has started. As much as I want to see it happen SO BAD, it's like they just keep crying wolf.

To quote the great Micheal Scott...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I really can't keep getting my hopes up for this movie until it's announced that the cast is set and filming has started. it's like they just keep crying wolf.
    This.

Also, I'd be totally fine if they didn't even include Wizard & Glass.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 254 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 ... LastLast