Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 254 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Walking Dude.......while The Stand is my favorite SK story I was somewhat dissappointed in the way they adapted it for the big screen.
    If they made a DT movie with real actors and live movie special effects they would have to chop the crap out if it too.
    If any outfit could pull it off it would be Dreamworks and Spielberg.
    I agree that due to the lenght and all the characters in the complete series making a movie or movies that do it justice would be well nigh impossible.
    We can but dream.

Along the Path of the Beam fivethirtytwo is on a distinguished road fivethirtytwo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKM View Post
    Okay, first time post (just registered to post here), and don't want to make a total idiot of myself if I'm repeating something that someone may have said (I read the first couple of pages, and the last couple of pages, and I feel safe enough).

Whilst I'm not overly thrilled at Ron Howard tackling this rather than JJ Abrams (I really got excited back when he bought the rights), I was sat here yesterday suddenly thinking of a way that a cut-down trilogy could work in my opinion (and this is where I hope I'm not just repeating someone else's sentiment).

I thought it could be really interesting if they decided to set the films as a sequel to the books. Where the seventh book ends (we all know that particular twist), the film series starts on from there, showing how things, this time, would be different now that Roland has the horn. It'd give the film makers a bit more license to actually deviate from the books (especially with Stephen King's involvement), give us fans of the series a story where we won't know what's coming based on the fact that we've read that narrative, whilst at the same time still sticking to some of the plot threads in memory (and I still want Oy. Dammit I want to see Oy!).

Hell, if they really wanted to mess with our minds, they could even try to approach the whole cyclical (is that even the proper adjective there?) nature of Roland's journey, although I'm not too sure on how happy I'd be with that.
    Tony,

I think that's a really cool idea. A bit like how they treated the new Star Trek movie - dispense with all the baggage so it's a wholly new story/interpretation and you aren't disappointing anyone.

I think I'm one of those few who feel that a movie should NOT be a completely faithful adaptation of a novel it is based on. The film makers should bring something new to the story. All they really owe us is that they capture the feel of the book.

The best example that comes to mind is 'The Bourne Ultimatum' (the movie), which probably felt most like the original novel 'The Bourne Identity'. Tell me if I'm wrong, Bourne fans?

In fact - and don't shout 'Blasphemy!' - but one of my leading contenders for the role of Roland is Denzel Washington. I bet he could capture the essence of Roland, even if he is black.

Am I hereby banned from this website?
    "If a God watches over it all, does He actually mete out justice for a race of gnats among an infinitude of races of gnats?
    ...what must the nature of such a God be?"

The Gunslinger

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Cannot get behind random and pointless changes. Roland is described in great detail over 7 books and one story. Is there a shortage of actors who look the part and are capable of quality acting?
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah! I wouldn't be against Denzel anymore then any other great actor, black or otherwise. The problem isn't that Denzel is black. The problem is Roland is not.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam fivethirtytwo is on a distinguished road fivethirtytwo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The problem is that people like us (i.e. fans) burden any prospective DT project with so many expectations (mostly - of accuracy), that it's bound to disappoint us and also limit the film makers.

A distinctive & unique interpretation of the Dark Tower would jettison the baggage and allow the project to be judged on it's own merits and not against the books. Also, as a Dark Tower fan, the prospect of a fresh mid-world story is an exciting one for me.

An actor like Denzel would be able to get the fundamentals of Roland's character right, while still giving us a new interpretation of him. In my humble opinion, Roland having blue eyes is not a fundamental characteristic. Roland being a badass, however, is.

Not to ramble on, but once more I'm compelled to use the Bourne films as an analogy. When they announced that Matt Damon, an actor in his late 20's (at the time), would play Bourne, most die-hard fans were mortified. Jason Bourne was in his late 30's at the time of the first novel with the added back story of his time in Vietnam. But this fact is precisely what made him a slightly different Bourne. I could now keep my love for the character in the books alive and at the same time enjoy this new character portrayed in the film. In this way the movie didn't spoil the books for me.

You guys are a tough crowd, hear me, I beg.
    "If a God watches over it all, does He actually mete out justice for a race of gnats among an infinitude of races of gnats?

The Gunslinger

Traveler The Walking Dude is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Walking Dude.......while The Stand is my favorite SK story I was somewhat dissappointed in the way they adapted it for the big screen.
    If they made a DT movie with real actors and live movie special effects they would have to chop the crap out if it too.
    If any outfit could pull it off it would be Dreamworks and Spielberg.
    I agree that due to the lenght and all the characters in the complete series making a movie or movies that do it justice would be well nigh impossible.
    We can but dream.
    Haha ok I see your point, that series was a disappointment to the book and it's fans... I only said what I said because if/when they make the DT film I would love it to be an occasion, something to be proud of, mainly because I have bored my friends to death about this series and if all they were to see is a poor film it would be sad all round eh?!

Still as for the Dreamworks and Spielberg combo it's a good idea, were anyone able to pull it off it could be them however, personally to make it an occasion I would like to see it done as whole as humanly possible.

So I'm looking forward to the impossible made possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by fivethirtytwo View Post
    The problem is that people like us (i.e. fans) burden any prospective DT project with so many expectations (mostly - of accuracy), that it's bound to disappoint us and also limit the film makers.

A distinctive & unique interpretation of the Dark Tower would jettison the baggage and allow the project to be judged on it's own merits and not against the books. Also, as a Dark Tower fan, the prospect of a fresh mid-world story is an exciting one for me.

An actor like Denzel would be able to get the fundamentals of Roland's character right, while still giving us a new interpretation of him. In my humble opinion, Roland having blue eyes is not a fundamental characteristic. Roland being a badass, however, is.

Not to ramble on, but once more I'm compelled to use the Bourne films as an analogy. When they announced that Matt Damon, an actor in his late 20's (at the time), would play Bourne, most die-hard fans were mortified. Jason Bourne was in his late 30's at the time of the first novel with the added back story of his time in Vietnam. But this fact is precisely what made him a slightly different Bourne. I could now keep my love for the character in the books alive and at the same time enjoy this new character portrayed in the film. In this way the movie didn't spoil the books for me.

It's an interesting idea as thats what they have done with the graphic novels to see something new and different would be great and i also guess that's what King is trying to do with the proposed book. However, to have spent all that time reading the series to then not have it on the big screen would be a great shame to us fans.

As for Denzel for me it wouldn't be my first choice! I see what you mean by him being able to put over the badass in Roland but I just don't see it... It's a good point that anyone could surprise us I just wonder who could really pull it off?

The best list for a cast I've seen is this... Most of you have probably seen this and I know some of these aren't exactly the best choice however it's the best start I've seen.

Spoiler:
    Just in case anyone's having trouble reading the small font, the cast list is...

Javier Bardem............Roland Deschain
    Nathan Gamble............Jake Chambers
    Norman Reedus............Eddie Dean
    Zoe Saldana..............Susannah Dean
    James Cromwell...........Pere Callahan
    Bill Moseley.............Randall Flagg
    Anthony Hopkins..........Ted Brautidan
    Adrien Brody.............Sheemie Ruiz
    Simon Woods..............Dinky Earnshaw
    Thomas Dekker............Mordred Deschain
    Tom Wilkinson............Enrico Balazar
    Benicio Del Toro.........Jack Andolini
    Donald Sutherland........Eldred Jonas
    Jack Coleman.............Roy Depape
    Tom Hollander............Clay Reynolds
    Anjelica Huston..........Rhea of the Coos
    Meaghan Jette Martin.....Susan Delgado
    Santiago Cabrera.........Patrick Danville
    Alan Blumenfeld..........Calvin Tower
    Bill Nighy...............Aaron Deepneau
    Monica Bellucci..........Mia
    Logan Lerman.............Roland (Age 14)
    Dylan Patton.............Cuthbert Allgood
    Spencer Breslin..........Alain Johns
    DJ Qualls................Sheemie (Young)
    Paul Levesque............Tick-Tock Man
    Andy Serkis..............Gasher
    Philip Seymour Hoffman...Jack Mort
    Stephen Dorff............Henry Dean
    David Warner.............Mayor Hart Thorin
    Helena Bonham Carter.....Coral Thorin
    Joel Grey................Joe Collins
    Peter MacNicol...........Dandelo
    Craig Parker.............Richard Patrick Sayre
    Kathy Bates..............Sylvia Pittson
    Richard Roundtree........Moses Carver
    Clint Eastwood...........Steven Deschain
    Helen Mirren.............Gabrielle Deschain
    Brain Cox................The Crimson King
    Stephen King.............Himself

I know that J.J. Abrams said that he wasn't going to do it but it's still a fairly great line-up!! I just wonder whether I'm wishing the impossible again?!

Traveler tipp-ed off is on a distinguished road

I was thinking Daniel Day Lewis as Roland. In There Will Be Blood he had a weird mix of humanity and bitter coldness that would translate well to the Gunslinger. Also If you change up their clothes a bit this picture could be Jake and Roland walking through the desert
    http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_...l_be_blood.jpg

Country
    Country Flag

If any of the faithful here are Philip Jose Farmer fans I present as evidence the "Riverworld" movie (or series or whatever it was). I loved the books but the adaptation to the screen omitted a lot of sub plots and information that left holes in the storyline. If you are not a fan the first book in the series was "To Your Scattered Bodies Go". It is worth a read..if you are a DT fan you will prob like Farmer's work.
    That is not to say that the movie was not good or entertaining...just that since I had read the series of books I knew that there was a lot of stuff left out or changed.
    To beat an dead horse again my feeling is that an animated series of films would have a better chance of capturing the essence of Roland's adventures.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Denzel Washington is a fantastic actor who would, no doubt, be able to do Roland justice. However, I am not interested in any reimagining of this series anymore than I am interested in hearing TOOL reimagining Dark Side of the Moon. I adore TOOL but no. If a writer/singer/director/Hollywood can't come up with a story on his own, he damn well has no business attempting to reimagine another perfectly capable writer's already damn fine imagining. {/rant}

Yes. I hate covers.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

Yes. I hate covers.
    What, even Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt?

(Which should be used in the soundtrack at some point, most likely the final film, since the lyrics were referenced in the final volume. And, of course, since it's a kickarse song!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Worried

I can appreciate some covers, yes, but I still hate the concept. I don't think I'd be able to say the same of a reimagining of TDT.

Country
    Country Flag

One thing to keep in mind is that in Roland's world there was music from our time.....as in "Hey Jude" being played in the tavern in one of the books.
    The music that played over and over in Lud was a snippet of a rock song (can't remember the group) too.

Apparently music evolved along the same lines in both universes.

That would mean the background score of the movie(s) could be music from several eras in our world. Opens all kinds of possibilities.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that in Roland's world there was music from our time.....as in "Hey Jude" being played in the tavern in one of the books.
    The music that played over and over in Lud was a snippet of a rock song (can't remember the group) too.

Apparently music evolved along the same lines in both universes.

That would mean the background score of the movie(s) could be music from several eras in our world. Opens all kinds of possibilities.
    Wasn't it Led Zeppelin? In Lud, I mean? (How do you like that, I remember that! )

Country
    Country Flag

Hummmmmm......after thinking it over......maybe Sam Elliott as Roland.

In his younger days Clint Eastwood would have been "DA MAN" for Roland....think "Outlaw Jose Wales"'.

John F. Kennedy C~Dog is on a distinguished road C~Dog's Avatar

It was Z.Z. Top "Velcro Fly" iirc. Just the drums from it though.
    All hail the King;
    He of the Crimson Eye,
    The Lord of Spiders.
    Hail Discordia.

I think it would be best to get a relatively new/unknown actor for any of the ka-tet, as previous performances would no doubt tint out view of them in a Dark Tower movie imo.
    All hail the King;
    He of the Crimson Eye,
    The Lord of Spiders.
    Hail Discordia.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by C~Dog View Post
    It was Z.Z. Top "Velcro Fly" iirc. Just the drums from it though.

I was THINKING ZZ Top and I said "Led Zeppelin"....

I can't keep track of all these groups I don't listen to!

I actually just went and listened to Velcro Fly.

It is sooo bad. No wonder the Pubes decided to kill people when the drums came on.
    All hail the King;
    He of the Crimson Eye,
    The Lord of Spiders.
    Hail Discordia.

My Mood
    Worried

Oh, I'm quite aware of the music in TDT. I've no trouble with that as it is part of the mythology King created. Moreover, a careful reflection of the songs and their placement in the series reveals deeper social commentary than an initial reading - or even cursory study - indicates. None of that supports radically altering characters (whether in physical appearance or character essence) just because it can be done.

Look at Faramir and Ford Prefect.

Why?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dang, man, this thread's still going, and me completely out of tomatoes!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hear ya very well, say thankee, but I'm sorry, this example was far from encouraging to me --
    ...I think that's a really cool idea. A bit like how they treated the new Star Trek movie...
    >groan<

Country
    Country Flag

Just to be clear, I didn't like the new Star Trek movie. I just like the idea of giving a fresh start to a fiction franchise that is laden with immense expectations.

The Gunslinger

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to be clear, I didn't like the new Star Trek movie. I just like the idea of giving a fresh start to a fiction franchise that is laden with immense expectations.
    Then after all you and I are in total agreement.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear you.

...but, no we are not a tough crowd. I am a tough crowd. I am immutable in that I don't want a Dark Tower movie at all. I had my distinctive unique interpretation of this tale...back when King wrote it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 254 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast