Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 254 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

If they made them based on Michael Whelan's art, then I'd be down with action figures. Just not some that look like Keanu Reeves or something.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I'm against action figures.

No, not really, although I personally don't have any real use for them.

But I wouldn't want them to make action figures of The Dark Tower series (unless MAYBE they also did sort of dioramas or whatever of the various settings throughout the series, so that you could "play out" the entire story--I imagine that would be very expensive if it got made at all, probably wouldn't, and if it did it'd be sold in separate parts....).

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I just want Roland and Oy on my desk. That would be awesome.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    If they made them based on Michael Whelan's art, then I'd be down with action figures. Just not some that look like Keanu Reeves or something.
    Yes, the Twilight fella (Robert something..?) would be a much better Roland action figure.

Spoiler:

Roland would have understood.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just want Roland and Oy on my desk. That would be awesome.
    Have you ever seen this before?

I think it would be perfect with legs.

My Mood
    Worried

Yes, I think it's cool. But the face is too much like this guy:

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the face should have been Clint Eastwood-ish.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Yes, the Twilight fella (Robert something..?) would be a much better Roland action figure.

Spoiler:

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    I wonder how they're going to manage the ending. What'd be interesting would be if

Dark Tower ending spoilers

I don't know that they'll do either, but it'd certainly reflect the nature of the ending....

i love that idea

My Mood
    Worried

Default Eat Roland's Dust

I was just making a fifth thread for the overflow of discussion about a Dark Tower movie.

Actually, I hate even numbers and Brice said there were four threads, so I had to quickly make amends.

Soooo, who should we cast?

*wolf snicker, sniffs the air, runs out of the thread ducking many tomatoes from fellow Palaverites*

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My one hope is that they don't screw it up too bad. Cause we all know they will mess it up to an extent just because of the well known fact that movies are never as good as novels they are based off of. I will still go see them/it no matter what though.

Just saying... you know?

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Milk, semi, or dark chocolate?
    And would his response sway your opinion at all?
    Only if he said that he preferred white chocolate.* Then I would know we are good and royally screwed. Otherwise, it's just a bit of fun trivia.

*The candy known as white chocolate is good, but it is NOT chocolate.

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*The candy known as white chocolate is good, but it is NOT chocolate.
    True

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Oh great, now I've fallen into the trap of speculation....

Anyway, been thinking about this, and it occurs to me that there are a LOT of elements and events to the series that (to a filmmaker anyway) would probably be fair game for cutting this down to three (albeit perhaps 3-hour epic) movies.... I primarily refer to the flashbacks (the ones that aren't necessarily AS crucial) and the detours (again, those that aren't entirely crucial). If we're being honest with ourselves, there are a lot.

I do not, of course, advocate or desire that they ALL be cut out, but it would considerably streamline the story to get rid of much of the following:

Dark Tower spoilers that might not make it into the films

Again, I don't want all of those cut out, but some of them I could see cutting out, like Mordred, references to non-DT books (with the possible exception of Patrick Danville), and smaller stuff that isn't as important to the plot (like Feemalo, Fimalo, and Fumalo). I just hope that they could still do it justice if they cut down some of that. I imagine the first movie would end with the ka-tet coming together and/or starting along the Path of the Beam, and the second would end before they come to Calla Bryn Sturgis, or else before the battle with the Wolves of Thunderclap.

On a lighter note, what would be nice would be to have the end credits having as its soundtrack a recitation of "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came," perhaps even set to music (maybe it could even have a chorus of the lines from King Lear, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came/His word was still 'fie, fo, and fum,/I smell the blood of a British man!'").

Traveler TonyKM is on a distinguished road TonyKM's Avatar

Okay, first time post (just registered to post here), and don't want to make a total idiot of myself if I'm repeating something that someone may have said (I read the first couple of pages, and the last couple of pages, and I feel safe enough).

Whilst I'm not overly thrilled at Ron Howard tackling this rather than JJ Abrams (I really got excited back when he bought the rights), I was sat here yesterday suddenly thinking of a way that a cut-down trilogy could work in my opinion (and this is where I hope I'm not just repeating someone else's sentiment).

I thought it could be really interesting if they decided to set the films as a sequel to the books. Where the seventh book ends (we all know that particular twist), the film series starts on from there, showing how things, this time, would be different now that Roland has the horn. It'd give the film makers a bit more license to actually deviate from the books (especially with Stephen King's involvement), give us fans of the series a story where we won't know what's coming based on the fact that we've read that narrative, whilst at the same time still sticking to some of the plot threads in memory (and I still want Oy. Dammit I want to see Oy!).

Hell, if they really wanted to mess with our minds, they could even try to approach the whole cyclical (is that even the proper adjective there?) nature of Roland's journey, although I'm not too sure on how happy I'd be with that.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears like this idea

more than that of mangling the existing text, anyway

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler marcrocket is on a distinguished road marcrocket's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think this series could only be done if it were a T.V. show. It would be like the Sopranos and go for many seasons. The challenge would be to keep the actors on the payroll & committed for so long. They could take some time and let it go for years.
    Perhaps an animated series so there would be no actor troubles. Heck it could go on fore ever like the Simpsons.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*glares as punishment for your naughtiness*

Spoiler:

I will have to kill it though, Woofer.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

I know. Thanks for sharing the laugh.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Russel Crowe as Roland.....have to be.

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What would be interesting (in my mind) would be a series of animated movies around 90 minutes long made like Polar Express. You could still tell the Conductor character was Tom Hanks. Since it was animated there were special effects that would not have been possible in a real movie (thinK the train sliding over the frozen lake).
    By cutting it into several movies (each following one or two books) it might be possible to keep in scenes that would be cut out of a real movie.
    An animated feature would prob cost less to produce yet still attract big name actors.
    Just my rambling thoughts.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Russel Crowe as Roland.....have to be.

Traveler The Walking Dude is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    What would be interesting (in my mind) would be a series of animated movies around 90 minutes long made like Polar Express. You could still tell the Conductor character was Tom Hanks. Since it was animated there were special effects that would not have been possible in a real movie (thinK the train sliding over the frozen lake).
    By cutting it into several movies (each following one or two books) it might be possible to keep in scenes that would be cut out of a real movie.
    An animated feature would prob cost less to produce yet still attract big name actors.
    Just my rambling thoughts.
    It's a good idea but would animated films/TV series/(possibly even a live action film...) really do justice to such an utterly amazing series? There would be cuts in any of the cases and were that to happen could any one who has read the books actually watch them and remark that they were any good? I know that I couldn't!

It's a damn shame but I think it's the truth, could anyone pull it off?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 254 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast