Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    I'd rather have no movie than an Abrams movie.

Adam19

Smart man. I think its for the best

Quote Originally Posted by JaGerber View Post
    from comicbookresources.com:

a project he has since decided that he won't do as not to screw up a property he truly loves

Traveler oy1986 is on a distinguished road

IT wouldnt be hard to make the story into a movie...i'm sure several people have said this now but its the special effects that would be damn near impossible to make look real. ..have you SEEN the lord of the rings? i know it was a huge step in CGI but seriously it looked absolutely ridiculous. somethings *excuse me here cuz i never made it through the movie or read the book but...* somethings like that lil creepy thing looked amazing but you could stilll tell were stuck into the middle of the scene. that would happen with WAY too many characters in DT. oy and the can-toi to name just two.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some sequences would need extensive affects (
    Spoiler:
    Ludd and the nuclear wastelands for example and certain creatures and doorway sequences
    ) but it's well doable. More difficult affects have been done elsewhere.

Much of the other Mid-world stuff is no more difficult that filming a western. As for New York... it would mainly be a matter of keeping things period authentic.

John F. Kennedy craig85br is on a distinguished road

Born and raised in Essex, England but currently living in Lille, France
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont think having effects will make it a bad film. Avatar has havd rave reviews and is now one of the highest grossing movies of all time! Im not saying it should be mostly CGI like Avatar but if you can get a good mix it can work.

Like someone mentioned before, I would like to see it one the big screen and if whoever made it did a bad job in my opinion then I have the piece of mind that I can go back to re-read the books and make the story exactly how I see it in my head.

The Jake age thing could be problematic but maybe instead of making a movie for each book they could combine it in to maybe 3 movies released over 3 years or 4 movies over 4 years?? That way the actor playing Jake would not look a great deal older and it could easily be covered up by make up. Also in my opinion Jake would begin to look slightly older throughot the book, not because of time but because of stress and the experiences he endures. Maybe being a little older looking towards the end will add to the effect of being weathered and aged etc by the quest for the Tower.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If I were doing it I'd use no CGI. It is not effects themselves that determine whether something looks real or not, but how they are used.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Brice, if you ever make your version I have decided I want to play Oy while wearing a weird furry bumbler suit. There will be no explanation for why he's walking around like a person either.

I finally found a DT role I could cast myself in!

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craig85br View Post
    I am firmly in the camp of JJ Abrams though. If the bring it to the screen for TV or for a series of movies I think he needs to be involved. I am a big fan of Lost and Fringe and did enjoy the Star Trek movie so maybe I am biased but I think he has the imagination and pedigree to doing something great with TDT. He has experience of successful TV shows and also Box Office movies so knows what he is doing IMO.
    I cannot disagree with you any more, I'm sorry. J.J. Abrams certainly has a vivid imagination, and he certainly did a fantastic job with Lost, Fringe, and Star Trek. However, I would argue that he does not have the capacity to do a Dark Tower series of films.

What Abrams has going for him is his ability to work with science fiction settings and plots. Lost, Star Trek, Cloverfield, and his other works are all science fiction, not action. Even Star Trek, which was, in many aspects, an action movie was still a "geek" movie. No one argues his abilities with science fiction.

The Dark Tower, however, is by no means a science fiction. Just because there is science in it does not mean that it is science fiction; quite the contrary, it is simply fiction. I do not think Abrams has shown that he has sufficient maturity to handle a film as mature as The Dark Tower.

Abram's characters are shallow, at best, and portray no emotion other than the stock and anticipated. Sawyer and Jack from Lost, for instance, are very one-dimensional characters, even though Abrams spends the majority of the first season on all the characters' backstories. Their actions are predictable as is their speech. Roland, on the other hand, is one of the most sophisticated and layered characters I've ever had the pleasure to read about. If you take into consider Roland as well as the rest of the Tet (not to mention deep supporting characters whose motives are not always clear such as Flagg) then it becomes apparent that Abrams does not have the capacity to handle their personalities.

His stories, albeit interesting, are always concrete. Now, before all of the Lost fanatics start getting angry, hear me out. Lost started out as a simple plane crash and became exceedingly more paranormal. Now, however, the story is looking like the last season will be definitive and scientific (it is already beginning to explain everything, even with all of the "problems" they have been having). I am certain that the last season will explain everything.
    Spoiler:
    For those who have finished The Dark Tower, I'm sure you will understand why that would become a problem. The story does not end concretely; in fact, it becomes anything you want it to be. It is completely open-ended.

I think Abrams would be a bad choice.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

John F. Kennedy echoRacer is on a distinguished road echoRacer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe any director would be a bad choice, personally, i despie the idea of Dark Tower movies.
    No director could ever truly do the Dark Tower the justice it deserves.

DOWN WITH MOVIE ADAPTATIONS OF GOOD BOOKS!!

a rose, a key, a door

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    Brice, if you ever make your version I have decided I want to play Oy while wearing a weird furry bumbler suit. There will be no explanation for why he's walking around like a person either.

I finally found a DT role I could cast myself in!

Okay, then you are Oy. And I don't really do explanations of anything. IF I do, those explanations only serve to furthur confound.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

John F. Kennedy echoRacer is on a distinguished road echoRacer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The best explanations are the ones that confound!
    Makes life interesting.

a rose, a key, a door

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

precisely

M ideal DT film (as if I wanted one at all) would be black and white and silent.

If you rescue me

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craig85br View Post
    I am firmly in the camp of JJ Abrams though. If the bring it to the screen for TV or for a series of movies I think he needs to be involved. I am a big fan of Lost and Fringe and did enjoy the Star Trek movie so maybe I am biased but I think he has the imagination and pedigree to doing something great with TDT. He has experience of successful TV shows and also Box Office movies so knows what he is doing IMO.
    I cannot disagree with you any more, I'm sorry. J.J. Abrams certainly has a vivid imagination, and he certainly did a fantastic job with Lost, Fringe, and Star Trek. However, I would argue that he does not have the capacity to do a Dark Tower series of films.

What Abrams has going for him is his ability to work with science fiction settings and plots. Lost, Star Trek, Cloverfield, and his other works are all science fiction, not action. Even Star Trek, which was, in many aspects, an action movie was still a "geek" movie. No one argues his abilities with science fiction.

The Dark Tower, however, is by no means a science fiction. Just because there is science in it does not mean that it is science fiction; quite the contrary, it is simply fiction. I do not think Abrams has shown that he has sufficient maturity to handle a film as mature as The Dark Tower.

Abram's characters are shallow, at best, and portray no emotion other than the stock and anticipated. Sawyer and Jack from Lost, for instance, are very one-dimensional characters, even though Abrams spends the majority of the first season on all the characters' backstories. Their actions are predictable as is their speech. Roland, on the other hand, is one of the most sophisticated and layered characters I've ever had the pleasure to read about. If you take into consider Roland as well as the rest of the Tet (not to mention deep supporting characters whose motives are not always clear such as Flagg) then it becomes apparent that Abrams does not have the capacity to handle their personalities.

His stories, albeit interesting, are always concrete. Now, before all of the Lost fanatics start getting angry, hear me out. Lost started out as a simple plane crash and became exceedingly more paranormal. Now, however, the story is looking like the last season will be definitive and scientific (it is already beginning to explain everything, even with all of the "problems" they have been having). I am certain that the last season will explain everything.
    Spoiler:
    For those who have finished The Dark Tower, I'm sure you will understand why that would become a problem. The story does not end concretely; in fact, it becomes anything you want it to be. It is completely open-ended.

I think Abrams would be a bad choice.
    I love lost but I dont think abrams should do a DT film/ tv series
    No
    The REAL geniuses behind Lost should do it not JJ
    Damon and Carlton should try their hands at the dark tower
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-g...-thrones-.html

HBO has greenlighted highly anticipated fantasy series "Game of Thrones."

The premium network has picked up the project for a first season debut next spring. Nine episodes plus the pilot have been ordered. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

From the moment the project was first announced in development, the series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has generated enormous, perhaps unprecedented, online interest for a series at such an early stage.

The sprawling tale set in the mythical land of Westeros tells the story of the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man. The four-and-counting books in the series would each be used as one season of the series.

Unlike many fantasy novels, the "Thrones" series largely avoids relying on magical elements and instead goes for brutal realism -- think "Sopranos" with swords. Martin, a former TV writer ("Beauty and the Beast"), writes each chapter as a cliffhanger, which should lend itself well to series translation. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are the series creators.
    Why is this Dark Tower news? It isn't really, but I think if this series does well it could bode very well for a possible DT series, perhaps even on HBO.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gosh, I hope not.

If you rescue me

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do think George R R Martins Thrones books are very suitable for a series, particularly due to their style and subject matter. Which happens to be rather different to that of the Dark Tower series (although a great read!) and one's success in the filed shouldn't suggest the others.

And I hope it doesn't too. Well, I say that.... if a Dark Tower series or films were to be created, I'd probably still watch out of curiosity and the hope that it would be good.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I might watch to make it easier to identify my targets.

If you rescue me

Along the Path of the Beam giggler5 is on a distinguished road giggler5's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i could see the gunslinger made into a movie, but definitely not the rest of the books. maybe turning each book into a tv miniseries, yeah. although i know if that were ever to happen, the shows wouldn't do the books justice, but still...it'd be pretty sweet to see the books come to life on the screen.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Gosh, I hope not.
    Why? Premium cable has always made the most sense to me. If there ever WILL be an adaptation, a series on a channel such as HBO would be ideal, since it won't be restricted for time, content or budget.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There was talk of a 10- or 12-episode Under the Dome miniseries on HBO, by the way. Also, HBO will show Game of Thorns next year, based on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of...28TV_series%29 Hopefully all this will pave a way for a complete Dark Tower multi-season series on HBO. Only they could do it justice, with essentially limitless budgets and big-time stars (is everyone watching The Pacific right now on HBO?).

Traveler raysfan is on a distinguished road

First of all what a great place this is. I just found this gem of a web site today. DT should be made into 3-5 movies if on the big screen, or a long running mini series if on TV. As in any long tale, some story lines need to be removed as they are not crutcial to the main plot, what to remove would be a tough call but it can be done. Peter Jackson if schedule permits would be a great call for director and likewise Viggo Mortinson would be perfect for Roland. Solid character actors like Alfre Woodard and Callum Keith Rennie could round out the main three actors while keeping the cost down. Jake (if filmed properly) aka over 2 years could age as needed and be replaced as needed. Hopefully soon this project will come together. The story should be character driven not special effects driven, in fact keep SE down as much as possible.
    As in LOTR narration should be used to explain important historcial concepts/characters at selected spots.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Really hope this idea is dead for now. No need to tarnish the series.

raysfan, check out the Dark Tower casting thread for a discussion on who is best for what. Though Viggo has many votes, Hugh Laurie is the front runner.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Gosh, I hope not.
    Why? Premium cable has always made the most sense to me. If there ever WILL be an adaptation, a series on a channel such as HBO would be ideal, since it won't be restricted for time, content or budget.
    You would think so, right? Then again you would be dead wrong. I won't pretend to understand the world of PayTV economics, but great shows like "Carnivale", "Deadwood" and even the "Soprano's" (the constant "will it be back and when anxiety, season's before the finale) have soured me on HBO series. They axed Carnivale and Deadwood for ratings, how did they figure that? Its a pay channel!!!! If any recall, there was an unprecedented outcry for Carnivale on the Net and they ignored it. Plus, the upfront costs for King's magnus Opus would seem to be prohibitive, not to mention the production costs for such a sweeping epic (which is exactly what ultimately killed Carnivale). All I know is that several times HBO viewers have been left hanging in the storyline.

Sadly, it seems evident to me that most King books do not translate well onto the silver screen. For every one that does, there seems to be 3 that fall woefully short. Darabont seems to be the only one who can get him right and then he is very choosey (wisely so) as to what he will tackle. Seems King's short stories generally have the best chance of making the transition. And this scenario does make a certain amount of sense when you consider how much of the fabric of King stories take place in the mind of the characters and the narrative. That's why "The Stand", "The Shining" and even "Christine" fall short, for example. Sure, those who have read the book can fill in the missing pieces (Don't get me started on Kubrick's Shining), but its not the same somehow. The only ones that make the transition, successfully IMO, are the stories that are not as deep in character development and theme, namely the short stories. Green Mile was an exception that sort of proves my theory in that it was a serialized novel told in a different fashion than his other novels. Salem's Lot, The Stand and The Shining fell woefully short because the cerebral parts of the plot could not be or were not attempted to be included in the story-line. Not for lack of trying though, which you kinda have to give the TPTB an "A" for effort. Heck, King himself tried admiralaby to rescue "The Shining" and while it was much better it still fell a little short.

All of the above being taken into consideration, Dark Tower would not stand a chance of being made properly. As said before, the best chance would be J.J./Damon in a HBO series, but if "Lost" took six years and over 100 episodes imagine what Dark Tower would encompass. Not to mention the bucks involved and sadly, The Dark Tower is not even his most widely read novel regardless of it being his "Magnum Opus". I just don't see it happening IMHO.

On the other hand, you would think that the success of "Lost" might contribute to Dark Tower's chances at HBO. The two stories bearing similar theme's. The problem, I think, is that cable measures their shows in increased subscriber's rather than advertising rate's, and probably rightly so. They can't defray costs to advertiser's rates as network TV can. So it comes down to bucks in the end. My bet would be that they would experience a immediate surge in subscriber's for a DT series, that would not sustain itself throughout the time needed to complete the story. What we would end up with is a series that gets cancelled after 3 seasons (probably in the middle of "Wastelands" or the end of DOTT) due to unsustained increase in subscriber's. It's a kind of built in "FU" to HBO customers that has been experienced in the past. Although, maybe if that got going on it right on the heels of "Lost" and utilized it in the marketing it might sustain itself, but that's probably a very big "might". I wonder how many "Lost" fans are already HBO customer's (and were into "Carnivale")? LOL

Funny story. I got invloved in the internet campaign to resurrect "Carnivale" at the time. Website's, petitions and e-mails to TPTB. You know what they told fans? Buy the Season CD's (for an abruptly unfinished series, probably not coming back) to bolster chances of a return!!!! Pretty much "Give us your money and we'll think about it" !!! Ahhhh, you gotta love HBO!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy Crap is right. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast