Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrysaxon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I think John Hamm (Mad Men) would be Roland. He has that stolid, stalwart demeanor down to an art.
    He's got the right demeanour, but he's way too good-looking for Roland. I always thought Viggo Mortensen would be terrific. Right age, tall, lean frame, not very good-looking but compelling-looking, light blue eyes. And he's a first-rate actor (cf. A History of Violence, The Road).

(loved the book!)
    Actually, I think Hamm wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Despite Eddie's labeling him as long tall and ugly I don't think Roland is actually ugly. I always took this jibe as Eddie just being Eddie. In fact, amongst men, its one of those things that can be slung around without any fear of repercussion. And Hamm can be "roughed" up a little to make him look more weathered. Hamm isn't my first choice but he could work well.

Traveler LBD 3 is on a distinguished road

Can't see DT ever going to the big screen. I've said it before on other sites if an adaption is going to be made then a mini series of about 14 1 hour episodes would be the way to go, and even then how would the events of insomnia/ talisman/ black house/ hearts in atlantis and it be properly explained in the story? Sorry but for me if you can't be botherd to read all the sub stories aswell as the 7 main books you don't deserve to enjoy this masterpeice! for the same reason i can't really see the attraction of the marvel comics i've read the first season and over time i'm sure i'll read them all but they just don't get me excited the way a new DT novel did! for example after hearing today about the wind through the keyhole i've already got tower fever all over again, something i thought i'd never experience again!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    sounds like good news to me. we're now that much further from seeing it bastardized. any time i want to "see" the series, i need only re-read it. my imagination and king's descriptive powers work just fine without needing a jj abrams or peter jackson to make up their own story.
    In fairness to Mr. Abrams he shouldn't be put into the same sentence as Peter Jackson. He at least had the wisdom not to try to do it and really I think of the people I've heard suggested over the years he'd have done the best of them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A french magazine have reported that an adaptation is now planned by the Paramount studios...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    A french magazine have reported that an adaptation is now planned by the Paramount studios...
    Would you write a liitle bit more? Which magazine? Did they write anything more? Thanks.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

This article mentions that it would still get made by Paramount, but I think it's more like speculation than actual news (?):

http://www.fantasy.fr/articles/view/...la-tour-sombre

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    This article mentions that it would still get made by Paramount, but I think it's more like speculation than actual news (?):

http://www.fantasy.fr/articles/view/...la-tour-sombre
    "Le réalisateur-producteur a expliqué que La Tour Sombre était une de ses séries préférées et qu’il était terrifié à l’idée de rater complètement l’adaptation." - That is, the reason why the director changes his mind is that he was afraid to totally blow it.
    (That's exactly what we all were arfaid of, too.)

Then, they say:

"La transposition à l’écran de la saga devait se faire sous la bannière de Paramount. Cela sera sans doute le cas… mais avec quelqu’un d’autre." - the adaptation was supposed to be made at Paramount, and so it surely will be, but by someone else.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

voila

Otherwise the magazine is "L'Ecran Fantastique"
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ugg I just saw this like somewhere else:
    http://www.newsinfilm.com/2009/11/12...ng-dark-tower/

and came looking for this thread! how upsetting! but if King does decide to write another book...then I guess it could make sense to halt the production. I just wonder when/who would make it in the future.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Random thought: If only Chris Cunningham was a rabid Dark Tower fan....and could make a whole movie. Something similar happened with him and Neuromancer - he was basically the only person I could imagine making an awesome, weird, and surreal-enough William Gibson movie, then he dropped it. Now it has Hayden Christensen in it and some other guy directing it. Barf.

Maybe Brice should guard the film rights after all.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, he should. I'm willing to pay King $19 for them

If you rescue me

John F. Kennedy Blaine Is A Pain is on a distinguished road

Well I am kind of disappointed but at the same time not surprised at all. I kind of raised my eyebrows when I heard Abrams would even touch this project after the success of Star Trek. I knew he would be deep into making at least 2 more of those. Then he has to wrap up Lost. Then he was going to dedicate himself to a 7 movie Dark Tower series? It all sounded a bit too good to be true and sure enough it is.

I would have liked to have seen their attempt at this though. The only other person I think could do a decent job with this would be Frank Darabont or even Peter Jackson. I even think Frank would have trouble with this one. Peter Jackson simply because he made LOTR come alive when most thought that story could never be made into a decent series of films. I doubt he has any interest whatsoever but he came to mind.

I really don't care to see a made for TV series. At least not on the major networks like ABC. Maybe if HBO would take it? Oh well at least we get another DT book in the next few years and the comics.

Traveler Fred1 is on a distinguished road Fred1's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It might sound stupid. But why not just put any random director in the lead. And, then let Stephen help him. If anyone should know how to make this movie as unbelivingly good as the books it should be Stephen. You could use the guy who directed "Juno"! Just let Stephen help him!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I say lets get ralph bakshi out of retirement and let him have a stab at it
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Umm....Stephen King wrote the teleplay for The Stand ('94 miniseries) and that was awful. And he directed Maximum Overdrive, arguably one of the worst movies of all time. I think he should stay far, far away from the DT films if they ever get made!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Maximum Overdrive was my favorite SK movie. I know, not a popular vote. But I dug the cheesiness of it. It it had a cool soundtrack. I watched that movie so many times.....there are definitely SK films that are prettier to look at. But, I thought that movie was excellent.

However, I would not like to see the DT series done in the same manner, obviously.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

To me, Maximum Overdrive was so bad it was good. Whenever it shows up on cable, I try to watch it.

John

John F. Kennedy craig85br is on a distinguished road

Born and raised in Essex, England but currently living in Lille, France
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that a movie could never do the books justice but in a way I would have liked to see what other peoples interpretations of the books were and also they way they saw the characters.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also would have liked to see it - in a way - but I am not sure it's a way that does me credit... more like a malicious anticipation of epic fail...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think if it had been Abrams, it had a good chance. Not so sure of the results in anyone else's hands.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam bartonthegreat is on a distinguished road bartonthegreat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hate to break the news to u guys.......All SK movies suck! if u have read any of his books u should know that! Great Book=Shitty movie. Its not your fault Mr. King

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess if Maximum Overdrive sucked then it would be his fault.

SK movies that did not suck (in order....mine that is)
    1. Maximum Overdrive
    2. Stand By Me
    3. Pet Semetary
    4. Misery
    5. The Shawshank Redemption
    6. The Green Mile

I am afraid you are right about the rest
    Sloth Love Chunk

John F. Kennedy craig85br is on a distinguished road

Born and raised in Essex, England but currently living in Lille, France
    Country
    Country Flag

i thought The Mist was pretty true to the short story, apart from the ending anyway!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast