Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 254 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 237 238 239 240 241 249 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    sit down with us SK nuts and fucking asked US what to do...
    Based on the commentary of those nuts, that might not always be the best idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i think all of us will agree with you on that one but since that won't ever happen i can if i am forced to settle for the longer cut of the film that we should have gotten
    I do wonder if the filmmakers neglected to compose a proper extended cut of the film (for whatever reason...apathy, maybe?) and instead just dumped the cut scenes as the "Deleted Scenes" feature on the home video release.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

From what I've understood from interviews with the director, there wasn't a whole lot cut out of the film. Sure, some new stuff was shot, but that was to replace scenes test audiences and producers deemed confusing. So there's likely no material and no reason to invest in an extended cut.

It, in comparison, was slowly reworked from a 3 hour cut to 135 minutes. They cut out some legitimate moments of character development and storytelling.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i really fucking hate test audiences i really do cause they don't always know jack fucking shit when it comes to movies. ya know i know a LOT of people hate the (1990) version of IT i love it and no i don't think it's a perfect adaptation at all.

but at least Tommy Lee Wallace has admitted he hadn't read the book before he made the film and i kind of get the impression he wishes he had read it 1st. with The dark tower they claim they read it but i wonder if that's even the truth?

the thing is if they wanted to make it a sequel to the series that's fine but to make it so fucking different from the novels that is not making it a sequel at all. it's a decent film and i can see why people hate it but it's one of those films that didn't piss me off like many other films based off books did.

they should have been more faithful to the fucking source and if i was forced to accept some changes like i forget who said it where they said the dark tower turned Roland Black cause of his dealings with it that would have been a really funny thing to put in. when they said it was going to be a sequel of sorts i had assumed it was going to be faithful to a certain point than they would have changed some shit.

cause from his last trip through the tower some things had changed even if it was little things. such as Roland coming to our world when he didn't come to it before. in his body i mean,

on IMDB and yes that can be wrong they had listed Eddie and Susannah for a long time and i forget who was going to play them i wonder if anything with them was even filmed? and i like the fact that the leads i'm to lazy to type his name are honest to us when they say they have no idea if there will be a sequel or not.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Couldn't make things any worse at this point.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Disappointing film aside* it looks like they've put together a good Blu-Ray release. Very promising extras there.

*And I did like it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Oh, they could, and you needn't even self-select the more extreme opinions among them. Simply suggesting that the books receive a fully faithful translation is one way to go too far in the other direction.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The more I think about this the more convinced I am that they truly felt that they were going to pull an audience from the comic book crowd. They catered this movie (IMO) to this group.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, they could, and you needn't even self-select the more extreme opinions among them. Simply suggesting that the books receive a fully faithful translation is one way to go too far in the other direction.
    The DT film as it is was effectively a flop that was shunned by most critics and fans alike.

A more faithful DT film could only be a step up. Provided they were modestly budgeted (and the new It film was only $35 million which is cheap) and had realistic expectations I see no reason why 90% faithful versions of the first three books wouldn't do well.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

honestly if they were to do a more faithful version do they really need a budget that big? let's say they follow the book the only parts they really need to have a big budget that i can think of at the top of my head are the underground caverns.

and if it works for the film i could live with a couple changes as long as it's written well and makes fucking sense. i'm also going by if they want to go by the this is a sequel to the books thinking. but what they need is someone who's actually read

the fucking material and cares about it. not someone who's only read up to a point and hasn't even read the whole series by the time filming starts. i doubt i'm the 1st person who to say this but i doubt i'll be the last one either

Country
    Country Flag

The DT film as it is was effectively a flop that was shunned by most critics and fans alike.

A more faithful DT film could only be a step up. Provided they were modestly budgeted (and the new It film was only $35 million which is cheap) and had realistic expectations I see no reason why 90% faithful versions of the first three books wouldn't do well.
    I'd contest that bolded part, but i've constantly noticed by this point that there's a tendency to downplay the success of the film despite figures to the contrary. As a result, the futility of such an action has finally managed to inch past my passion on the subject.

Anyhow, just what are we discussing here: a full-fledged television series, a mini-series, or a septology of films? We can throw out the lattermost proposal, because a seven-film stretch isn't going to happen. That right there is going to irk some fans. Even if we pare down the installments to a total of three or perhaps four (five seems a bit much for a work of fiction not nearly as culturally entrenched or simply popular as Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings, but I don't think this is necessarily an impossibility), inserting the titantic flashback that is Wizard and Glass smack down the center is going to be a tricky proposition and one hell of a sell when said installments are going to be released yearly at the least (bi-annually is more likely). Certain aspects of the story either won't make the cut because of copyright issues or instead will be translated into a form markedly different from the source material...such as the triple-offender known as the Wolves. We can be fairly confident that Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower are going to receive the lion's share of alterations. Then, there's the little issue of having a main protagonist "hero" who - as has been previously noted - is significantly less heroic than will be expected (performing an unwanted abortion with a gun's barrel, sticking around to get laid despite knowing his presence will almost surely ensure bloodshed and then straight up massacring children as a one-man army).

There are plenty of other considerations. What I typed above are the ideas which are held fast to my grey matter.

Now, if we're receiving a television series, then there is much more freedom afforded to arrange the live-action adaptation of the story. Hell, we may even see some comic material if The Dark Tower hits the small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    the only parts they really need to have a big budget that i can think of at the top of my head are the underground caverns.
    Faithfully reproducing the region surrounding Lud and Lud itself will also be sizeable monetary investment.

Country
    Country Flag

Well yes I think the television show would be the best approach. I don't think making a mostly faithful film series would be impossible, though. I imagine halfway through there would need to be some serious condensing regardless of the format -- lots of the Sombra stuff, Stephen King writing himself into the series, Callahan and Ted's backstories, Roland and Suz traveling in the snow, etc.

I think the first three books could work as films fine enough. Book 4 can be the tie-in tv series. And you could probably fit 5-7 into two films.

Content-wise, well I agree that Roland performing the gun abortion should be cut out. Otherwise I don't think his character would have to be changed that much. Morally gray characters are pretty popular now.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Maybe someday. Were finally getting a good Punisher after 3 failed films. Maybe the same will happen for DT. I enjoyed Idris as Roland. But I would not mind somebody else play him in a rebooted DT. A Dark reboot that shares the tone of the books. Thats all I want.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...ailure-reason/
    With IT storming it at the box office, it's easy to forget there was another Stephen King adaptation this year that didn't do anywhere near as well.

The Dark Tower was savaged by critics and didn't exactly draw in the audiences either, so far grossing only $120 million (£89 million) worldwide. But King seems to know the reason why it didn't click.

"The major challenge was to do a film based on a series of books that's really long, about 3,000 pages. The other part of it was the decision to do a PG-13 feature adaptation of books that are extremely violent and deal with violent behaviour in a fairly graphic way," he told Vulture.

"That was something that had to be overcome, although I've gotta say, I thought [screenwriter] Akiva Goldsman did a terrific job in taking a central part of the book and turning it into what I thought was a pretty good movie."

Last month, director Nikolaj Arcel revealed that the planned TV series continuation of The Dark Tower was still in the works and would be "totally canon" with the movie, but King reckons it'll be more of a do-over.

"The TV series they're developing now… we'll see what happens with that. It would be like a complete reboot, so we'll just have to see," he explained.

We'll have to wait and see if The Dark Tower does get a TV series after the movie's failure, but there's no denying that a TV series is certainly more fitted to King's epic books than a 90-minute movie.

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully they replace the creative team and ask Darabont to take over. Or Mike Flanagan who managed to make what appears to be a very good film out of one of King's lesser efforts and has said DT was his dream project.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Darabont taking over is my dream scenario

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The reboot terms means all and everything.

I mean, since the series is PLANNED to be based on the 4th book, it will already be a reboot in the way that it wont be a syfy teenager movie anymore.

So, what is the meaning between that term : commercially a failure so changing the entire team, or just a different universe so that would be LIKE a reboot? which if i remember correctly, thats what the said.

Btw, the movie was a critic disaster, we all know that.
    But was it REALLY a financially disaster?

I mean, sure, it wasnt a success like IT, but IMDB lists : $337,430,352 (Worldwide) (24 September 2017)
    But weirdly enough, it's a MAJOR growth from a week before : $110,222,920 (Worldwide) (17 September 2017)

So up to the 17th it was quite a financial disaster, and all of sudden not so much?
    Any idea of what happened in between? I dont see any new territorial releases. The success of IT brought new people to go watch TDT?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perfect scenario, like I said before, would be a few of seasons of Wizard and Glass, Wind/Keyhole, and heck, Eluria, gradually leading into DT1 and so forth.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Perfect scenario, like I said before, would be a few of seasons of Wizard and Glass, Wind/Keyhole, and heck, Eluria, gradually leading into DT1 and so forth.
    That sounds perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

I mean, since the series is PLANNED to be based on the 4th book, it will already be a reboot in the way that it wont be a syfy teenager movie anymore.

So, what is the meaning between that term : commercially a failure so changing the entire team, or just a different universe so that would be LIKE a reboot? which if i remember correctly, thats what the said.

I mean, sure, it wasnt a success like IT, but IMDB lists : $337,430,352 (Worldwide) (24 September 2017)
    But weirdly enough, it's a MAJOR growth from a week before : $110,222,920 (Worldwide) (17 September 2017)

So up to the 17th it was quite a financial disaster, and all of sudden not so much?
    Any idea of what happened in between? I dont see any new territorial releases. The success of IT brought new people to go watch TDT?
    Well it didn't even break even. To break even, depending on who you ask, it needs to make two or three times the budget. DT would need another ten million double its budget. And I'm not even sure if that's accounting for advertising or foreign sales.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

No matter what, The Dark Tower will at least break even once home video sales are factored in.

Country
    Country Flag

One consideration for any live-action adaptation will be the steady march of Jake's age. He's definitely going to be an older teenager or even full-fledged adult near the end. Well...perhaps not if a series of films are shot back-to-back a la The Lord of the Rings.

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Well it didn't even break even. To break even, depending on who you ask, it needs to make two or three times the budget. DT would need another ten million double its budget. And I'm not even sure if that's accounting for advertising or foreign sales.
    And if the movie was more faithful to the books it would of made even less money. Just look at Mother! it floped. Original films just do go well with General audiences anymore. DT is just too weird an IP for adaptation. Sadly. But still hoping for a niche TV show reboot. And yes with someone like Darabount or JJ Abrams.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No matter what, The Dark Tower will at least break even once home video sales are factored in.
    EVEN if it does... which I still doubt as most will just download it and steal cause no one wants to pay for a shitty movie now a days... it will not be enough to warrant more. I hope... but I feel the ship has sailed for the time being. Just archive this thread already.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The thread will self-archive when people stop commenting in it. We may consider unstickying the thread.

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

Any idea of what happened in between?
    IMDb can be updated by anyone, maybe it was a jokester Gotta check a site like boxofficemojo

Highly doubtful. If we take a look at how much money the movie made:

Domestic: $50.4 million x 0.5 (what actually goes back to the studio): $25.2 million
    Foreign: $60.4 million x 0.4: $24.16 million
    Total amount Sony made: $49.36 million

The movie's production budget was $60 million, plus they added another $6 million worth of reshoots. That means they already made a loss of $66-$49.36 = $16.64 million.

But we have yet to add in the marketing budget. Usually that's about the same amount as the production budget. If true for this movie, Sony is looking at a loss of about $77 million total. That's a lot of money to make in home video sales in a market where DVD and Blu Ray are dying, for a movie that few people care to seek out or rewatch.

Maybe the merchandise is selling, though. Everyone here bought their Dark Tower Vinimates?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 254 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 237 238 239 240 241 249 ... LastLast