Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 254 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

No one can claim the director isn't a massive fan of the books. The man is so dedicated to the source material, he went for a 19% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ROTTEN TOMATO SCORE.... settles in at a cool... WOW... 19%. You just gotta love it.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    A reasonable and good explanation by a massive fan of the books on why he doesn't feel this works as a true and faithful The Dark Tower adaptation:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78298
    This is a very informative and (apparently; I haven't seen the movie) fair analysis.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I am getting a general sense of blah about the actual film experience. Does that about sound right? The film was just okay...Or is that elevated because fans are exposed to the film version of Roland? Is is better than this?

NSFW (Language)

Spoiler:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Blah seems to be the word.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

20% now, kinda wanted it to stay at 19.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    20% now, kinda wanted it to stay at 19.
    It did all morning and last night. lol JUST changed 20 mins ago
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

RottenTomatoes' Critics Consensus is pretty funny too: "Go then, there are other Stephen King adaptations than these."

Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty scary when it's competing with Children of the Corn II.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It seems to be a common misconception with the reviewers who don't realize that this movie wasn't supposed to be all 8 books combined into one. That this was only supposed to be the start of a multiple movie series.

It also doesn't sound like they don't realize that the TV series is also going to be mostly based on one single book.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In the midst of all the negative feedback I'm finding my disappointment turning to optimism, as I think "surely it can't be all that bad." I'm not going to worry about anything that doesn't appear in this film; they can always add elements later. I've got two actors I really like, good source material, stuff getting blown up - I'm going to enjoy this whether I want to or not!
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Seeing it tonight. Mildly Excited. Some people say the Jake/Roland relationship is pretty decent. So im looking forward to that at least. Sigh.. I would love to take the cast of the movie and put them all in a true adaptation of The Gunslinger. Katherine Winniek could play Alile. And Jackie Earl Haily could play Nort hahaha.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    It seems to be a common misconception with the reviewers who don't realize that this movie wasn't supposed to be all 8 books combined into one.
    I think most realize that, but it seems to feel like that.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

It also sounds like they not only got caught between trying to please the die-hard fans as well as the newcomers, they also got caught between making this the first movie in a series and giving it a satisfying ending/conclusion that can stand alone if it doesn't do well. This was a mistake IMHO.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Along the Path of the Beam brethren will become famous soon enough

The ending was a big let down, I mean the very end ending. There's no mention of The Drawing or any future purpose or goal at all. We just get Roland asking Jake to come with him, but not for any particular reason. I thought for sure they'd at least make an attempt to set up the next movie (which I'm sure we'll never see now).

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    We just get Roland asking Jake to come with him...
    That sounds like an opening for more, no?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Akiva Goldsman is a fucking hack. He has been associated with some of the biggest pop culture abominations in film history

Batman & Robin... Jonah Hex... and now, THE DARK TOWER

without Ron Howard to hold his hand, he sucks.

This film was ruined by the greedy Studio and Producers who wanted to make a mint of money but still didn't want to risk a big budget on a "risky investment"

Too many fucking cooks in the kitchen and all of those mothafuggas cant even cook a pan of Hamburger Helper!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Traveler MarkHB is on a distinguished road MarkHB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    The ending was a big let down, I mean the very end ending. There's no mention of The Drawing or any future purpose or goal at all. We just get Roland asking Jake to come with him, but not for any particular reason. I thought for sure they'd at least make an attempt to set up the next movie (which I'm sure we'll never see now).
    I agree; it would not have taken much to establish that Roland's quest for revenge had masked his original goal: to reach the Tower. But I will say that I found Walter's ending to be far more satisfying than his ending in the books.

Country
    Country Flag

Ok oK... if you have not seen it... stop all. GO SEE IT. I JUST got back to the office. And you know what? I quite liked it! In fact there was times I got goosebumps. I will try to keep it spoiler free.

PROS:
    -I really liked Iris as Roland... A LOT.
    -I really liked Jake.... totally how I thought of him.
    -I though there was so many little nods to King that I lost track of them all. It was very cool though.
    -The gun scene in the Dixie Pig made me wanna stand up it was so fucking bad ass.
    -The end fight with Man in Black and Roland... awesome!
    -Loved how they showed the tower... very Whelan'esq
    -There was some bad ass bad guys... liked them more than I thought I would.
    -I am with Bev... I am 99% I caught the Horn of Eld... It was cool... cannot say more about it though.
    -Those guys... FUCKIN A. They rocked.... loved it.
    -There was a couple brilliant lines. LOVED all the famous lines from the book being used. LOTS of them...
    -Loved the hospital scene. I laughed a few time.

CONS:
    -I REALLY wish they had taken a more Whelan approach to the Man in Black. Perhaps hid his face partially?
    -They totally re-arrange the story... I still wish they had done the first book.. the way it was shown.
    -There is no after the credits scene.. I stayed. I wanted a tease for more... The Marvel kid in me maybe?
    -I wanted more... good sign? Perhaps 90 mins was too short.. I would have liked another 30+ mins.
    -I didn't like how the Man of Black was "involved" with something. He isn't in the books. All I can say.
    -Didn't like that Rolands quest had changed to revenge and not the tower....

As you can see more PROS for me than CONS. I am sure I will think of more as I am just writing this up quick. Go see it guys. Spend your money... support it. I think it will be much like the seires with the first entry being the least liked as it finds it's footings. I give it a SOLID 7/10. I really liked it and maybe because I was going in expecting total shit. It was not that at all. The theater here in town for the FIRST showing and I live in boontown.. was packed. People laughed a few times and cheered a couple as well. All fans? I don't know. Go see it... if you like King... you will most likely like this.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure most of us here will see it either this weekend or soon after. I'm going tonight after work. It's extra special because one of my closer AMC theaters was recently upgraded with Dolby Cinema (also known as AMC Prime) and they're using it for The Dark Tower. Before there was only one other one in the state and it was far far away.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    -I am with Bev... I am 99% I caught the Horn of Eld... It was cool... cannot say more about it though.
    I saw it again last night, and now that I knew to look for it, I saw it several times.

Concerning the change to the quest:
    Spoiler:
    as I think about it now, in order to have this film have a resolution, the Tower can't have been his goal. His goal was to kill Walter. Mission accomplished.

And there was something of an after-credits appearance:
    Spoiler:
    Walter's distinctive whistle, at the very last second

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I saw it again last night, and now that I knew to look for it, I saw it several times.

Spoiler:
    as I think about it now, in order to have this film have a resolution, the Tower can't have been his goal. His goal was to kill Walter. Mission accomplished.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Did you see the Horn in his pack at the end? I sure did... and I missed the whissle. I gotta say I liked when he did it though... just wish he was more "cloaked" so to speak. BUT I loved it... a lot and will see it agian!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    REALLY??? HOW COOL! I missed that!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 254 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 ... LastLast