Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

After the mess that was the Star Trek movie, I don't really want Abrams doing this...

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say that since abrams has done one bad movie (cloverfield) one semi decent/some people dont like it movie (the new star trek) and two spectacular tv programs (lost and alias), he has about broken even when it comes to artistic credit
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I would say that since abrams has done one bad movie (cloverfield) one semi decent/some people dont like it movie (the new star trek) and two spectacular tv programs (lost and alias), he has about broken even when it comes to artistic credit
    He has done more than break even. Star Trek was a very successful movie that a lot of non-trekkies liked. As for the Trekkies that hated it, I am not sure any director would have been able to please them and bring in new fans. Plus, his new show Fringe is pretty good and his first movie MI-3 was better than the others in the franchise.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it would be interesting if he used a sort of Flashback formula for the it, if it's done in a mini series or a show which I think would be best for the dark tower. If HBO or Showtime they could do 5, 12 episode seasons or they could do 5, 18 episode seasons on regular TV. It would be a way to tell a lot of Roland's backstory with the show. There are plenty of parts where the characters revisit parts of their lives. They wouldn't have to be constant like Lost, but it would be nice.

I think the hardest thing about the Dark Tower for a series or movie is finding a way to tell say Mejis, Jericho Hill, Gilead, that sort of thing. They could break it up along the way.

I'm a lot more inclined for this be to a series over a movie series. 7 movies won't be enough. Some books are too much content for a movie, some not enough. Not to mention, a TV show would have a better chance for garnering audience, if you ask me. People will watch something that is free over paying 13 dollars on something they don't really know much about.

Even though I know the story, I'm sure Abrahms will work closely with Stephen King and add some new things to it. Or tell it in a different way. Say:

They could start the show with Roland on the beach, battling with the lobstrosity and while doing the plotline of the Drawing of the Three, they could reveal the gunslinger in flashbacks along the way, concluding the season with drawing Jake.

Season two the build up to Lud and end with them coming across the Callas, revealing Roland Backstory with Susan in Mejis.

Sesaon Three could be The Calla. There are plenty of backstorys told in Wolves of the Calla they could turn the whole book into a season and that book has so a slow burn it would work really well.

Season Four could do Song of Susannah and probably parts of book seven, having Mordred and such out.

Season Five could be the rest of book seven. They could even throw in a Special episode or mini-series with Insomnia to explain Patrick Danville
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Traveler Cinder2007 is on a distinguished road

Default Is this true?

http://geektyrant.com/2009/05/5409/

Because a dark tower movies or series would be great.

Sorry if there's already a topic about this, i didn't see one.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Yup. may not happen now, but eventually Hollywood will shove the boot of fail up the ass of another good piece of literature.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Yup. may not happen now, but eventually Hollywood will shove the boot of fail up the ass of another good piece of literature.
    I agree there is no way fans could be 100% satisfied with a DT movie or series.

BUT when I first learned that JJ Abrams and co are the ones have the rights to it...I almost peed my pants. If anyone could do a half decent (not-canceled) adaptation, it would be those guys.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. And I am also of the mind that even when it comes out I'll see it and take it for what it is.

Molly Ringwald will never be Frannie to me...not ever!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Wish I could agree. I do love LOST, and I loved The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., but I don't think he can or will do it justice unless King forces him to do so. And King has missed the mark (IMO, of course) translating his own works, so... there you go.

<---Thinks it will be too Hollywoodized
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That is why I have resisted temptation and refused to watch the movie of The Stand. It's too good of a book to be ruined by a movie in my opinion.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That is why I have resisted temptation and refused to watch the movie of The Stand. It's too good of a book to be ruined by a movie in my opinion.
    Parts of The Stand were spot on and just awesome; parts blew chunks. Bill Fagerbakke was the former; Molly Ringwald was the latter.

We made the mistake of watching the Stand miniseries while my BF was finishing up Wizard and Glass (because I'd mentioned the connection between the books). You made the right choice, believe me.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I agree with you.... I've always been against making movies out of good books - they have never made something that is even nearly as good as the book is

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Green Mile.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    You made the right choice, believe me.
    Good to know! At first when I finished the book I was intrigued, then I just figured it wasn't worth it to spoil the magic of the book. Though, there are a couple good King adaptations that I'm quite fond of.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

on the Stand...I watched the movie first and wasn't that impressed with all of the hype surrounding the story. So eventually I will be giving in and reading the book, I think it's probably a good thing you haven't!

And I agree Green Mile was a good movie (but a good adaptation, I don't know because I haven't read it yet, my bf just bought a version with a nice case that had never been opened at Half Price Books for $2!)
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can totally separate the two so I don't mind a movie. I saw The Stand miniseries and it hasn't spoiled my favorite book in any way.

Even though I hated it for the most part.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

my bf just bought a version with a nice case that had never been opened at Half Price Books for $2!
    Thank you for reminding me that 1/2 Price exists. I used to go to the U-District one allll the time (to buy and to dumpster dive), then more to the Redmond one since it's down the bike trail from where I live.

My Mood
    Worried

I can totally separate the two so I don't mind a movie. I saw The Stand miniseries and it hasn't spoiled my favorite book in any way.

Even though I hated it for the most part.
    Likewise, Matt. Parts of it I love, but so much fell short. Still, I'll watch those parts over and over (much to Mr. Woofer's dismay).

I love...
    The opening
    Tom Cullen
    Nick Andros (yeah, surprised me, too)
    Larry Underwood
    Trashy
    The Judge
    Lloyd Henreid

I hate...
    The end
    Frannie Goldsmith
    Nadine Cross
    Ratman
    Changes to certain characters and how they meet up and interact

I dislike...
    Randall Flagg

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a long standing DT movie thread in Gem Theater. I'm merging this with that thread. Hope to see you there.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Parts of The Stand were spot on and just awesome; parts blew chunks. Bill Fagerbakke was the former; Molly Ringwald was the latter.
    I will watch any movie with molly ringwald in it
    provided it was made over ten years ago
    I turned on the tv the other day n she was on it n shes like 40 years old now!
    really freaked me out i was like "NOOOO molly ringwald cant b old"
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's probably nothing new, but:

http://www.c21media.net/

Lost showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have told C21 they are weighing up adapting Stephen King's magnum opus The Dark Tower, but are wary about committing themselves to such an ambitious project.
    The article itself is subscription-only: http://www.c21media.net/news/detail....&article=50624

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's great. We really need those two to be on top of things, cuz J.J. keeps signing onto project after project . . . I was so excited when these guys got the rights to TDT. Now . . . not so much.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post

I agree with you.... I've always been against making movies out of good books - they have never made something that is even nearly as good as the book is
    princess bride.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post

princess bride.
    Fight Club was way better than the book in my opinion. Not that the book was bad, but I was moved by the movie a lot more. David Fincher just knew how to capture the tone completely and then take it to another level with the cast and the few plot discrepancies. Jack's budding insanity is conveyed far superior in the film and the ending is miles beyond the book's anticlimactic one. Buildings falling down to the Pixies in the background is unbeatable. Even Chuck P. thought it was better if you listen to the commentary which features him.

I think a DT movie might prove superior to books 2-7. I don't think the Gunslinger could be done justice because of its emphasis on themes and abstractions with a couple notable exceptions like Tull and the slow mutants in the cave. The other books are much more plot driven and King's descriptions of the settings are so evocative that a talented director could make places like Lud look pretty damn cool. And I'd love to get that fucking image of the Dark Tower as a lighthouse out of my head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast