Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 202 of 254 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 252 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree and don't think we are in the minority! But it should still be a good film (hopefully) so let's keep are fingers crossed

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    Man, I thought after the trailer was finally released, there'd be a lot of discussion about it here.

Maybe it's somewhat telling that no one is saying much.
    Not just here but in general. It really felt like EVERYONE was talking about It when the trailer for that came out. With DT, not so much.

Admittedly DT has more of an uphill battle given the relatively simple premise for It (evil clown) and the recognition with the miniseries but still.
    Like I Said DT is just a hard sell in general. Even the books. Once the trailer is in theaters it will get noticed more. And Hey, the Trailer has more views then The Defenders trailer. So ha! At least last I checked. DT is doing well with views. DT could pull the upset and do pretty decent.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BuctherOfTull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Man, I thought after the trailer was finally released, there'd be a lot of discussion about it here.

Maybe it's somewhat telling that no one is saying much.
    Not just here but in general. It really felt like EVERYONE was talking about It when the trailer for that came out. With DT, not so much.

Admittedly DT has more of an uphill battle given the relatively simple premise for It (evil clown) and the recognition with the miniseries but still.
    Like I Said DT is just a hard sell in general. Even the books. Once the trailer is in theaters it will get noticed more. And Hey, the Trailer has more views then The Defenders trailer. So ha! At least last I checked. DT is doing well with views. DT could pull the upset and do pretty decent.
    Im willing to bet it will do well. IF it has positive reviews and I mean glowing... it will be a major hit as more flock to see what the fuss is about. This movie needs to make a $125+++ million domestically to see any sequel...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if it needs to make that much if the reported budget is something like 60M.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I don't know if it needs to make that much if the reported budget is something like 60M.
    To make it. Add millions more for marketing. It needs to MAKE AT LEAST that... to make it worth while to pursue another.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Along the Path of the Beam brethren will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    For me I'm always a pessimist so I'm just trying to keep my mouth closed as not to ruin the fun for others. I am in the minority here that was wishing for a closer adaption to the books. A new story was unexpected and is still disappointing to me.
    Agreed. And I was just recently thinking about this too - anyone who is new to DT, and sees the movie first, the books are somewhat ruined for them. I mean, the story is still great, but they're going to know right from the start that Roland will eventually
    Spoiler:
    get to the Tower and just be reset back into the Mohaine Desert.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

For me I'm always a pessimist so I'm just trying to keep my mouth closed as not to ruin the fun for others. I am in the minority here that was wishing for a closer adaption to the books. A new story was unexpected and is still disappointing to me.
    Agreed. And I was just recently thinking about this too - anyone who is new to DT, and sees the movie first, the books are somewhat ruined for them. I mean, the story is still great, but they're going to know right from the start that Roland will eventually
    Spoiler:
    get to the Tower and just be reset back into the Mohaine Desert.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ending is altered for the film(s).

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I would be surprised if the story's "end" ends up on film, in any form (I don't believe the cycle of films and TV will make it that far). But if it does, since the film is supposed to be the "next time around," I imagine they would create some kind of triumphant thing that lines up well with every other movie ever made.

If they get there, and if I can still see, hear and breathe at that point, I'll let you know what I think.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    To make it. Add millions more for marketing. It needs to MAKE AT LEAST that... to make it worth while to pursue another.

Well, they made "Dumb & Dumber II" didn't they? lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

@GirlySteveDave - Not following you there. The ending can't be "altered" because it hasn't been written yet. The movie happens
    Spoiler:
    after the books.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

@GirlySteveDave - Not following you there. The ending can't be "altered" because it hasn't been written yet. The movie happens
    Spoiler:
    after the books.
    Yeah, I get that, but I also think that, to a degree, the whole "movie taking place after the books" was also a way for the film-makers to keep a bit of freedom with what stayed true to the books and what was altered. It's obvious that there are changes and this is a "new loop", but we also see that a lot of stuff is going to play out just like in the book(s). I'm just saying that, should the film(s) get to the end of the story, I don't expect us to see
    Spoiler:
    Roland start the journey all over.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly what is. They get to have their cake and eat it too.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

A movie typically needs to make twice it's production budget AND marketing budget for the studio to break even. Marketing budget tends to be as much as the production budget, though that's probably not the case here seeing how little marketing there has been. Still, Sony has been dealing with a lot of flops lately and have shown little confidence in this film's performance. They probably want to see somewhat of a profit before greenlighting a sequel. We're likely looking at an amount between $150-200 million domestically for that to happen.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a pessimist by nature, but I agree with you. I don't post much in the thread b/c I don't want to be seen as a Debbie Downer throwing cold water on everybody's fun and anticipation. I wanted a (somewhat) faithful adaptation of the Dark Tower series as written, and can't get too excited over a movie which is basically a "further adventures in Mid-World" movie "based on the character Roland created by Stephen King."

I just can't see this movie making anywhere close to $100 million. I hope I'm wrong. I sincerely would LOVE to be proven wrong. Because if I am right, we'll never get to meet any of the other characters (ka-tet or other), and we'll certainly never get a good TV series. Oh, someone like SyFy might scoop up the rights on the cheap to produce something along the lines of Xena: Warrior Princess. But for those of you expecting something along the lines of Game of Thrones--don't hold your breath.

Ok; I've said my piece for this month. Carry on.

DT does seem far more suited to an ongoing TV series, there's so much detail that will inevitably be skipped over when converting it to movie form. I wouldn't think a DT series would need a huge budget, there aren't that many characters and not a lot of need for heaps of special effects.

I guess at this point I'm more looking forward to the TV show than the movie, but I'm wondering if they're necessarily dependent upon each other. Didn't they say they wanted to start shooting the TV show in 2017? It would be tough to do that if they're waiting out box office numbers on the movie release in August.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    A movie typically needs to make twice it's production budget AND marketing budget for the studio to break even. Marketing budget tends to be as much as the production budget, though that's probably not the case here seeing how little marketing there has been. Still, Sony has been dealing with a lot of flops lately and have shown little confidence in this film's performance. They probably want to see somewhat of a profit before greenlighting a sequel. We're likely looking at an amount between $150-200 million domestically for that to happen.
    I'd say that's a fairly accurate assessment. I'm pegging the break-even point at $175 mil domestic, and then whatever money it makes overseas is what will go toward its profit fund.

If the film is decent to great, and has a strong word of mouth - which has become an absolutely critical component in this age of ballooned budgets and social media - then I can easily see a sequel being green lit.

The risk for a franchise like this is always front loaded. If the first film is a success comparable to the investment, studios know that the next films will come with a) an installed fan base, and b) additional fans whose curiosity gets piqued over time through the constant bombardment of online mentions and (hopefully) critical praise.

Everything is riding on this film.

These numbers seem a bit off. The DT budget seems relatively small, and there have only been four movies this year that have grossed 175 million or more. Are we saying most movies out there are losing money? Even powerhouse movies like Logan and Fate of the Furious (with much higher budgets, I'm sure) are only around the $200 million mark.

Edit: here are some interesting numbers. I assume most movies make the majority of they sales in the first month or so after release.

(all numbers in millions)

Logan: Budget $97, Box Office $225
    Fate of the Furious: Budget $250 (!), Box Office $207
    Lego Batman: Budget $80, Box Office $174
    Kong Skull Island: Budget $185, Box Office $166
    John Wick 2: Budget $40, Box Office $92

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My estimation is on the very high end. The advantage that movies like Fast and the Furious and other well known blockbusters have is they make bank overseas. They also all have a pedigree of some kind.

The idea in this day in age is; make back your budget domestically, and gain profit overseas. The DT is an unknown quantity in that we have no idea how it will perform away from the U.S given that it's a tricky film to market, so it will have to play strongly here stateside. This is one of the studio's biggest cause for concern.

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    My estimation is on the very high end. The advantage that movies like Fast and the Furious and other well known blockbusters have is they make bank overseas. They also all have a pedigree of some kind.

The idea in this day in age is; make back your budget domestically, and gain profit overseas. The DT is an unknown quantity in that we have no idea how it will perform away from the U.S given that it's a tricky film to market, so it will have to play strongly here stateside. This is one of the studio's biggest cause for concern.
    Well if thats the case. Then this movie may be already dead in the water. Sigh.. I really wanted to see some incarnation of Drawing of the three.

But the budget is low - I would think this movie could do similar to John Wick 2 here, maybe $100 million. Remember there is some star power with McConaughey and to a lesser extent Elba.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Elba will likely be a bigger draw to overseas markets than the US market.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just read an interesting interpretation of the the end of book 7 that I haven't heard before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDarkTowe...1Y&sh=f4ab86ba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmm.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Just read an interesting interpretation of the the end of book 7 that I haven't heard before.
    This theory reminds me of Back to the Future. When Marty comes back to 1985 he sees himself escaping into the past. This changed Lone Pine Mall future has Doc survive with a bullet proof vest and when he gets home he finds his whole family has changed. So, Marty2 left his cool family. If he does everything the same then there would be no difference for him. This Marty grew up with the changes made by the first Marty. Every iteration of this cycle will be slightly different based on whatever alterations are made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 202 of 254 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 252 ... LastLast