Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 182 of 254 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast
Results 4,526 to 4,550 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fingers crossed the US and EU market can help make it a hit!!! I just keep telling everyone i meet they have to watch... every little helps!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It will all hinge on a trailer or trailers that blow audiences away.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Behind Blue Eyes (From The Dark Tower Movie Trailer)
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01NATY83M/...ty_trk%3C/a%3E

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    But will international audiences eat up a dark fantasy Western? John Wick, I understand. Superheroes, I understand. Bruce Willis, I understand. But I don't see audiences in China and India and Indonesia, and Korea flocking to Roland's story. I'm thinking it will be "Oh, that black cowboy movie. No thanks."
    I don't think the western cultures will be surprised. For example, in South America the western is a welcomed genre.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

John F. Kennedy Argie is on a distinguished road Argie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    But will international audiences eat up a dark fantasy Western? John Wick, I understand. Superheroes, I understand. Bruce Willis, I understand. But I don't see audiences in China and India and Indonesia, and Korea flocking to Roland's story. I'm thinking it will be "Oh, that black cowboy movie. No thanks."
    I don't think the western cultures will be surprised. For example, in South America the western is a welcomed genre.

I agree. I think the story has a universal appeal. And international stars like Elba and Mccounaghey to draw people to the theatres. Also, dont forget SK is a bestseller worldwide. Constant Readers like yours trully all around the globe.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But is Idris Elba truly an "international star"? I had never heard of him before he was announced as Roland. I've seen The Wire and didn't even make the connection to Stringer Bell until someone mentioned it was the same guy. I do think there are Hollywood stars who, you mention their name internationally, and people not only will know who you are talking about, but will flock to the movie theater to see them regardless of the movie. I don't see Elba as one of those people. (Matthew McConaughey either, for that matter, though a better case can be made for him).

Look, I love the Dark Tower and Stephen King. And if this was a spooky or graphic horror movie, I could see it having some international appeal. But, cripes, how many Stephen King movies have torn it up world-wide? Shawshank? The Shining? Carrie? and... and... ??

How much did Hearts in Atlantis clear internationally? I honestly don't know, but I'm thinking not that much. And that starred Hannibal Lechter, a true international star!

We can speculate and predict all we want (and it is sortof fun), but the numbers will be what the numbers will be. We'll see how it shakes out. I could be totally wrong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

But is Idris Elba truly an "international star"? I had never heard of him before he was announced as Roland.
    You might be the first person I've ever heard say that. Even friends and co workers of mine who stick mainly to mainstream television and films know who Idris Elba is.

I'm not saying Elba is going to light up a marquee, but his name does bring a fair amount of recognition with it, sure.

Look, I love the Dark Tower and Stephen King. And if this was a spooky or graphic horror movie, I could see it having some international appeal. But, cripes, how many Stephen King movies have torn it up world-wide? Shawshank? The Shining? Carrie? and... and... ??

How much did Hearts in Atlantis clear internationally? I honestly don't know, but I'm thinking not that much. And that starred Hannibal Lechter, a true international star!
    There is a critical element here that you're missing; those films you mentioned above were catered to a very specific audience. The Shawshank Redemption is a Serious Emotional Oscar Contended Drama, and Carrie is a Friday Night Date Horror Film. Those films typically do not bring in big numbers beyond the first weekend.

Even in the world of today's cinema, the most high profile Horror film you name cannot compete with high octane, sci fi heavy blockbusters. The Dark Tower won't be branded a horror film, it will be sold as a sci fi blockbuster with horror elements.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My own preference in regards to casting for this cinematic franchise is for it to feature mostly unknown (or comparatively unknown) actors. Luckily, Elba has the skills as an actor but is not as overexposed as, say, Denzel Washington.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    My own preference in regards to casting for this cinematic franchise is for it to feature mostly unknown (or comparatively unknown) actors. Luckily, Elba has the skills as an actor but is not as overexposed as, say, Denzel Washington.
    Yes! Then it becomes just another (in this example) "Denzel movie" instead of what it is (and nothing against DW, who I quite like). I think Elba is a good choice according to any criteria: talent, lack of overexposure yet somewhat well-known, ability to disappear into the role etc. Imagine a Ben Affleck Roland...and then rejoice in the fact that we have Elba (and nothing against Affleck, but man, he wouldn't work in this).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Yes! Then it becomes just another (in this example) "Denzel movie" instead of what it is (and nothing against DW, who I quite like). I think Elba is a good choice according to any criteria: talent, lack of overexposure yet somewhat well-known, ability to disappear into the role etc. Imagine a Ben Affleck Roland...and then rejoice in the fact that we have Elba (and nothing against Affleck, but man, he wouldn't work in this).
    On that note, age aside, I would have been sour about a Clint Eastwood Roland for the same reason. Yes, I know Mr. Deschain is oft described as looking like him to some degree. I don't care.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I'm beyond ecstatic we got Elba for the same reasons you both mentioned above.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...I would have been sour about a Clint Eastwood Roland for the same reason. Yes, I know Mr. Deschain is oft described as looking like him to some degree. I don't care.
    Agreed. I think many viewers, upon seeing a trailer, would've thought why are there monsters and odd technology in Eastwood's new western? The hell with this.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen what is coming as some have. Cannot really say much more as I promised.... but I think this will be FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. Cannot wait....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish they would give us a real taste of what is coming. I'm over my disappointment about this not being an adaption and ready to see what this group of people imagine this story to be.

Country
    Country Flag

I like the "last time around " approach. Let s be honest. The seven-book saga was something of an impossibilty to translate to the screen unless you where going with something like the harry potter franchise which was a sure success before ir started filming. Not the case with TDT.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Argie View Post
    I like the "last time around " approach. Let s be honest. The seven-book saga was something of an impossibilty to translate to the screen unless you where going with something like the harry potter franchise which was a sure success before ir started filming. Not the case with TDT.
    Agreed. And the thing is, with Harry Potter (which had to get a lot of stuff cut out for the films anyway), you never had anything as fucking batshit insane like Harry needing to save Rowling from Voldlemort. That's not criticizing that particular element of the later Tower volumes (in truth, I didn't mind it), but I certainly couldn't see it adapted to film, at least not remotely adapted well. I think there are a lot of books that work so well because there are ideas there that could only work in a novel. The Dark Tower is, I think, one of those series. I'm mainly hoping that the film captures the spirit and the atmosphere of what I enjoyed about the books, at least.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    But is Idris Elba truly an "international star"? I had never heard of him before he was announced as Roland.
    You might be the first person I've ever heard say that. Even friends and co workers of mine who stick mainly to mainstream television and films know who Idris Elba is.
    I've didn't know who he was. I've never seen him act in anything. Until he was announced as Roland, I had never heard of him.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I've didn't know who he was. I've never seen him act in anything. Until he was announced as Roland, I had never heard of him.
    Watch The Wire (probably one of the best tv shows ever) and Luther.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Watch The Wire (probably one of the best tv shows ever) and Luther.

"Omar's Coming"................................LOL he was GREAT in the Wire. Also "Promethesus", "Thor" and "The Take" off the top of my head.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Elba is an excellent actor. In Luther he shows pretty much the same moral duality tipical of Roland (a guy who would do anything to get justice). I dont mind the change of race, specially in an Universe like this, full of twinners and such.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Elba is an excellent actor. In Luther he shows pretty much the same moral duality tipical of Roland (a guy who would do anything to get justice). I dont mind the change of race, specially in an Universe like this, full of twinners and such.
    He'll always be "Stringer".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a film saga sure but a television show could have done it and you wouldn't even need that many seasons.

Season 1 - Books 1/2
    Season 2 - Book 3
    Season 3 - Book 5
    Season 4 - Books 6/7

W&G could be, depending on the success of the series, a spinoff miniseries.

If you want to get down to it you could maybe even reduce it to three seasons depending if they decide to hack away at Callahan's story.

King writing himself into the story is something that was brought up. It would be fairly easy to excise it entirely (especially if Callahan is gone). The fate of a certain Ka-tet member would be the biggest change but you could do something along the same lines.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    As a film saga sure but a television show could have done it and you wouldn't even need that many seasons.

Season 1 - Books 1/2
    Season 2 - Book 3
    Season 3 - Book 5
    Season 4 - Books 6/7

W&G could be, depending on the success of the series, a spinoff miniseries.

If you want to get down to it you could maybe even reduce it to three seasons depending if they decide to hack away at Callahan's story.

King writing himself into the story is something that was brought up. It would be fairly easy to excise it entirely (especially if Callahan is gone). The fate of a certain Ka-tet member would be the biggest change but you could do something along the same lines.
    Agreed. A TV approach would have probablly been the best scenario.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hard not to love that show, right?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hard not to love that show, right?
    Top 3 favorite show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 182 of 254 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 192 232 ... LastLast