Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 163 of 254 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 161 162 163 164 165 173 213 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That soon! Sweet
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Does anyone know the expected release date or is it still "sometime in 2017" ?
    The release date is still the seventeenth of Feburary 2017, last I heard.
    15th in France
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Isamu Dyson;1019801]
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Idris Elba has completed all filming

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-mov...-filming-done/
    He acted AND filmed? Golly...talk about a one-man cinematographic army.

I bet that he just meant that he's done acting and the filming being done
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Does anyone know the expected release date or is it still "sometime in 2017" ?
    The release date is still the seventeenth of Feburary 2017, last I heard.
    15th in France
    Why do you folks get the first slice ?

Country
    Country Flag

The movie releases are on wednesdays.
    And premieres are also taking places on mondays/tuesdays before that.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

2/17/2017 = 19/19
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gasherman View Post
    I'm not quite sure how any Dark Tower fan wouldn't want to see those changes. It gives closure to the story.
    Even if there is a definite 'ending' anything not written by King himself will always glorified fan fiction to me.

And even if he doesn't say it, King himself probably agrees. It's clear for example that for all the talk of the comics being canon he couldn't care less about them and ended up ignoring everything Furth introduced when he wrote the eighth book.
    I think he will write it. Otherwise I agree.

Edit: Damn I should have done something better for my 19th post.
    He's not writing it. Nikolaj Arcel, Anders Thomas Jensen, Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner are.
    I'm talking about the new ending which obviously won't be addressed in the first film. I seriously doubt he's going to allow something that crucial to his entire catalog be changed by someone else. You have your mind made up though obviously.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even if there is a definite 'ending' anything not written by King himself will always glorified fan fiction to me.

And even if he doesn't say it, King himself probably agrees. It's clear for example that for all the talk of the comics being canon he couldn't care less about them and ended up ignoring everything Furth introduced when he wrote the eighth book.
    More and more that's how I've come to see this. It's seemingly a one-off fan-fiction interpretation of "characters inspired by Stephen King." Like the comics, which I've never read and didn't even know existed until recently. "Further adventure" comic books not written by King don't interest me. And if I'm right about this movie, it doesn't really interest me either.

I get that I am in the minority here (and truth be told, I'll probably go see it unless the reviews really trash it), but look at the poll question for this thread--Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptation?. Of course I voted yes! But that's not what we are getting. At least the movie has a release date. This just screams "straight to video."

Tell you what, if a second movie gets made, with a theatrical release, I'll contribute an extra $100 to my normal annual donation to the Haven Fund. I'm sure my detractors in this thread will keep track and remind me--that's 100% fair.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do. It would be worth eating crow here and shelling out another C-Note to sit back and enjoy this fantastic epic brought to the big screen. But I have serious doubts.

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

The latest reports are saying this will be an adaptation. Not sure how accurate they are, but the claim was made.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

If they follow the script from 2014, don't expect and adaptation.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm talking about the new ending which obviously won't be addressed in the first film. I seriously doubt he's going to allow something that crucial to his entire catalog be changed by someone else. You have your mind made up though obviously.
    If the comics are any indication, I don't think he cares what they do. Robin Furth basically reimagined the entire backstory to the novels with the comics and he didn't even bother to give them a glance when he wrote 'Wind Through the Keyhole' because he didn't want them to 'junk up his head'.

I imagine he will have more involvement with the movies but at the end of the day he'll probably say something along the lines of "the books are the books and the movies are the movies" and if he chooses to write another one someday the film probably won't have any bearing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Tell you what, if a second movie gets made, with a theatrical release, I'll contribute an extra $100 to my normal annual donation to the Haven Fund. I'm sure my detractors in this thread will keep track and remind me--that's 100% fair.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do. It would be worth eating crow here and shelling out another C-Note to sit back and enjoy this fantastic epic brought to the big screen. But I have serious doubts.
    Yeah, everything indicates that the studios don't have a whole lot of faith in this being a blockbuster given how they were tossing it around and cutting away at the original budget. But who knows, 60 mil is small enough that the reaction could surprise us.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, everything indicates that the studios don't have a whole lot of faith in this being a blockbuster given how they were tossing it around and cutting away at the original budget. But who knows, 60 mil is small enough that the reaction could surprise us.
    Their trepidation was understandable though. A play by play translation of the novels is practically impossible.

And to be frank I don't blame them for approaching this conservatively. Adapting this series was always going to be a massive gamble.

Besides, people are always clamoring for original material.. but then new IPs are released, and people ignore them in favor of Fast & Furious 17 and Grown Ups 3 starring Adam Fucking Sandler and fart smelling homies.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Besides, people are always clamoring for original material.. but then new IPs are released, and people ignore them in favor of Fast & Furious 17 and Grown Ups 3 starring Adam Fucking Sandler and fart smelling homies.
    Good point.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Their trepidation was understandable though. A play by play translation of the novels is practically impossible.
    I think the first three books at least you could make very faithful adaptations with modest budgets (maybe the third one would be bigger).

Book 4 would really be the only one that I could see causing issues given that it's almost entirely one big flashback. 5-7 could be reasonably trimmed if you remove a lot of the stuff about telling stories in DT5 (as much as I like Callahan's arc that could easily be removed) and trekking through the snow in DT7.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This is why a multiyear cable TV commitment would've been best - time for all the stuff the casual moviegoing audience has no time for: 50-60 hours of desert, gunfire, tragedy, immorality, good, evil, love, madness, and everything else under the sun. What that could have been...
    In the village all the children running home

- they sing hymns that haunt them when they're all alone.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    What that could have been...
    What could still be. If this film and those which follow it draw in enough warm bodies, there will be a rekindled interest in a more direct adaptation. It may not occur for a while, granted, but at least the idea survives in the meantime.

Country
    Country Flag

What sort of HUMOUR can we expect from this film?

Obviously there is going to be at least one scene where Roland gets a taste of the mundane luxuries of Jake's world and drops (again, at least) one malapropism...but what else? Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ron Howard & Brian Grazer On The Beatles, ‘Dark Tower’ And 30 Years Together

and at the end:
    HOWARD:(...) We’re developing the television part, now. We don’t know what platform it will be on at this point, but we’re developing the content in hopes for more movies that will cover the epic and the characters involved.
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Country
    Country Flag

Your worst nightmare: The Dark Tower on ABC.

Scratch that...The Dark Tower on PBS.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps some black comedy from Walter as he interacts with his minions?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by burial View Post

and at the end:
    HOWARD:(...) We’re developing the television part, now. We don’t know what platform it will be on at this point, but we’re developing the content in hopes for more movies that will cover the epic and the characters involved.
    Interesting interview. This particular comment caught my eye...

One of the things we did was put together a team of Dark Tower researchers, devotees of the books. We wanted to restructure the novels to be most cinematic and Stephen King agreed completely and understood the journey we were on immediately and supported it. We used this group to inspire our thinking and stay in the universe of Dark Tower.

I wonder who this team was... Anybody here want to raise a hand (Bev/David/Ari?) or is there a silence contract till the film is released?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Your worst nightmare: The Dark Tower on ABC.

Scratch that...The Dark Tower on PBS.
    CW could give it a run for its money.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

and at the end:
    I had no idea Howard was still connected with this; this is good news indeed.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and at the end:
    Interesting interview. This particular comment caught my eye...

One of the things we did was put together a team of Dark Tower researchers, devotees of the books. We wanted to restructure the novels to be most cinematic and Stephen King agreed completely and understood the journey we were on immediately and supported it. We used this group to inspire our thinking and stay in the universe of Dark Tower.

I wonder who this team was... Anybody here want to raise a hand (Bev/David/Ari?) or is there a silence contract till the film is released?
    I know of someone involved in this.. This IS FACT.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the Sombra websites has a countdown up on their banner.

Counting down to the trailer, perhaps?

http://www.asimovrobots.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 163 of 254 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 161 162 163 164 165 173 213 ... LastLast