Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 254 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 238 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just because alternate universes exist doesn't mean I'm interested in seeing them over what King wrote. It's just an excuse for the writers to pull changes out of their ass. That's just my opinion.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Just because alternate universes exist doesn't mean I'm interested in seeing them over what King wrote. It's just an excuse for the writers to pull changes out of their ass. That's just my opinion.
    All movies based on King's work have changes in the script, it doesn't mean that a film will automatically fail just because the production studio have changed a few details from the original source. Stephen King is not a visual thinker, he loves to tell, rather than show. What is written on a page may not necessarily translate well to the big screen.

Case in point: Stanley Kubrick's The Shining vs the more literal adaptation - the TV mini series of The Shining. There is a clear winner between the two and it's not the TV mini series....

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Choosing between those versions of 'The Shining' to me is like choosing between getting your fingernails pulled off with a plier or getting burned with a hot poker.

I don't expect a completely literate adaptation -- I mentioned 'It' as something that took numerous liberties but was still faithful to King's characters and story.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I really like the idea of this being more like a sequel to the novels. I've said this before several times; it's just another turn of the wheel. As Ka is a wheel. Besides, would we ever really be satisfied if they truly tried to turn the novels into film. I think not. It'd be picked apart like road kill on the highway. I'm sure it will still get picked part from here to eternity by fans. I was full of dread when this was first announced. But now, it's just a theory of what might have happened after we closed the cover on the last book. I'm totally pumped for it and hope it's a well made film. As I've stated before as well. If you are unable to separate the two mediums; you'll forever be disappointed. The world has moved on and The Dark Tower with it.
    I believe I have to agree with this statement. Starting "in the middle" and with the Horn kind of preserves the story from the books and yet gives us some visual insight to Mid World. I'm kinda cool with it and look forward to what they put out. I think you have to keep an open mind. JMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I really like the idea of this being more like a sequel to the novels. I've said this before several times; it's just another turn of the wheel. As Ka is a wheel. Besides, would we ever really be satisfied if they truly tried to turn the novels into film. I think not. It'd be picked apart like road kill on the highway. I'm sure it will still get picked part from here to eternity by fans. I was full of dread when this was first announced. But now, it's just a theory of what might have happened after we closed the cover on the last book. I'm totally pumped for it and hope it's a well made film. As I've stated before as well. If you are unable to separate the two mediums; you'll forever be disappointed. The world has moved on and The Dark Tower with it.
    I believe I have to agree with this statement. Starting "in the middle" and with the Horn kind of preserves the story from the books and yet gives us some visual insight to Mid World. I'm kinda cool with it and look forward to what they put out. I think you have to keep an open mind. JMHO
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's what I did. Initially, I was bummed that we weren't getting a straight adaptation of the source material, but now i'm excited at the prospect of seeing a cosmic continuation.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Case in point: Stanley Kubrick's The Shining vs the more literal adaptation - the TV mini series of The Shining. There is a clear winner between the two and it's not the TV mini series....
    The TV miniseries was, like some of King's work itself, imperfect, but with an actual story with actual characters, and I was thrilled that it was made.

Kubrick's film wasn't a tweaked adaptation etc.; it was a symmetrically-lacquered, geometrically perfect dodecahedron intended for permanent museum display which succeeded in getting all the ooohs and aaahs. As an admirer of Kubrick, I hail his Shining, but as a King reader, I think what was the point? It was a great film, but as an adaptation of King's novel, it didn't even rise to the level of good.

If you want a capital-F Film that will impress the French or inspire conspiracy-theory documentaries, you go with Kubrick, but if you want a story, you go with the miniseries - and since most of us are here because we have a taste for King's stories, I shouldn't be alone in this, but I recognize that I just might be.

Also, I will take Weber's performance over Nicholson's any day of the week. I don't blame Nicholson for Kubrick's removal of all humanity from the character of Jack Torrance, but in addition to bringing a genuinely sympathetic character to life, Weber was actually more frightening when Jack went bad, coming across as positively demonic (the scenes with the bloody teeth, for example). Nicholson's "bad Jack" was merely murderous and crazy; Weber's was actually scary, creepy and haunted (that was the point!).

I found the substitution of an ax for the mallet to be a cheap way of amping up the horror and found the "here's Johnny!" moment pretty hokey, and the decision to kill Hallorann immediately upon his return to The Overlook is a summary of Kubrick's thoughts on King's story ("I won't be needing this!"). I know I'm alone in most of these thoughts and don't expect to win any converts (but sure, I will pat myself on the back by picturing King reading my comments here and saying "he got it!" - me and Steve, on the same page (crappy pun not intended)).

But back to DT: if T-Dogz' point is that a very liberal adaptation can make a successful film, he's/she's completely correct - it can, it just won't be the one that many King fans seek. I'm sure the Cohen brothers, for example, could get one hell of a black comedy out of TDT, but for me (and I quite like the Cohen brothers), again, I'd have to wonder, what is the point?

Sorry for the long post; sometimes I empty every thought on a topic at once...just the ramblings of a King reader who likes to see King's stories on the screen.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I agree regarding adaptations... and to be honest a lot of King's comments on this come off as damage control.

Not to mention he (I think; this was a long time ago when Kingdom Hospital was on) told Bev Vincent for his DT book that it would probably take Roland several more 'loops' before he could enter the top room and that subsequent ones would in effect have small, incremental changes as he made progress. So the whole idea of everything going topsy turvy now seems a bit of a contradiction.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    The TV miniseries was, like some of King's work itself, imperfect, but with an actual story with actual characters, and I was thrilled that it was made.

Kubrick's film wasn't a tweaked adaptation etc.; it was a symmetrically-lacquered, geometrically perfect dodecahedron intended for permanent museum display which succeeded in getting all the ooohs and aaahs. As an admirer of Kubrick, I hail his Shining, but as a King reader, I think what was the point? It was a great film, but as an adaptation of King's novel, it didn't even rise to the level of good.

If you want a capital-F Film that will impress the French or inspire conspiracy-theory documentaries, you go with Kubrick, but if you want a story, you go with the miniseries - and since most of us are here because we have a taste for King's stories, I shouldn't be alone in this, but I recognize that I just might be.

Also, I will take Weber's performance over Nicholson's any day of the week. I don't blame Nicholson for Kubrick's removal of all humanity from the character of Jack Torrance, but in addition to bringing a genuinely sympathetic character to life, Weber was actually more frightening when Jack went bad, coming across as positively demonic (the scenes with the bloody teeth, for example). Nicholson's "bad Jack" was merely murderous and crazy; Weber's was actually scary, creepy and haunted (that was the point!).

I found the substitution of an ax for the mallet to be a cheap way of amping up the horror and found the "here's Johnny!" moment pretty hokey, and the decision to kill Hallorann immediately upon his return to The Overlook is a summary of Kubrick's thoughts on King's story ("I won't be needing this!"). I know I'm alone in most of these thoughts and don't expect to win any converts (but sure, I will pat myself on the back by picturing King reading my comments here and saying "he got it!" - me and Steve, on the same page (crappy pun not intended)).

But back to DT: if T-Dogz' point is that a very liberal adaptation can make a successful film, he's/she's completely correct - it can, it just won't be the one that many King fans seek. I'm sure the Cohen brothers, for example, could get one hell of a black comedy out of TDT, but for me (and I quite like the Cohen brothers), again, I'd have to wonder, what is the point?

Sorry for the long post; sometimes I empty every thought on a topic at once...just the ramblings of a King reader who likes to see King's stories on the screen.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I do find irony in that so many fans are bent out of shape about changes to a story where the key concept is "there are other worlds than these."

We can accept parallel universes, multiple versions of America and earth, and that he has the horn in the books. But we change his skin color, and maybe over-emphasize a couple minor characters (Tirana, Pimli etc) and everyone loses their minds.

The universe Roland lives in is malleable. That's a basic tenant of the original books. If it's bad when it comes out, then we can all scream bloody murder, but to say here and now they are straying too far from the books is reaching.

+1.

I understand that people enjoy the original material, but why the heck being so pissed at changing some things knowing that the author seem to have given his approval?

Why not wait and see what is being offered to us, and stop being pissed off at everything?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

King's approval nowadays means next to nothing given what he's given his thumbs up to lately from Robin Furth's writing to the 'Under the Dome' show to whatever Mick Garris is doing.

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not to be morbid, but I wonder if SK thinks "if this current group of producers doesn't do this version of it now, I won't live to see it at all, therefore: full speed ahead."

He may yet live another 30 years (long life to him), but hey, I'm not yet 50 and I think this way about many things (time running out, won't live to see certain things).

FWIW, I love the Elba casting, and while I like McConaughey, I worry that his status (big star) will tempt them to overuse him and fail to leave the character in the shadows enough of the time. Not that I would refuse to see the film in a huff; hell, I watched over a full season of UTD, and if I can stick that out, I can do this.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE,]
    hell, I watched over a full season of UTD, and if I can stick that out, I can do this.[/QUOTE] that explains so much about your comments...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    King's approval nowadays means next to nothing given what he's given his thumbs up to lately from Robin Furth's writing to the 'Under the Dome' show to whatever Mick Garris is doing.
    It means that the project they presented him seemed OK with him and he then gives them a leap of faith for them to do the best they can.
    I'd rather wait and see what is being offered, and try to enjoy it instead of criticized it and complains without having the big picture of the project.

I personally think that, in general, people need to learn to chill and not getting pissed off because things are not 100% the way they imagined.
    NB : this comment is not targetting any person in particular.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    hell, I watched over a full season of UTD, and if I can stick that out, I can do this.
    that explains so much about your comments...
    Ha ha, that could be good or bad...in this case, I didn't much like the UTD series, not so much because of changes as that it just (to me) seemed to add up to bad TV (had it struck me as at least being decent, I suppose I would have cared more about the changes). But when I say "if I can stick that out," it's all relative - many enjoyed UTD (hence it lasted), and I know my viewing tastes are just that - mine. My comment just meant I'm game - I will give TDT a try no matter what.

As for people being angry etc., I doubt if anyone is really "pissed," but it's normal for fans of anything, prior to something's release, to analyze and discuss what little info they do have (cast, crew, changes to narrative, timeline, etc. - the online conversation surrounding Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit is pretty extreme, for example - and don't forget, there are those who take issue with King's revisions to later editions of DT books) as much as they can. This isn't just a TV/film thing; some music forums I peruse go pretty bananas based on tentative song lengths announced before a note of music is heard ("too many long songs" or "long songs - great"). When it's out, we'll all take a look.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely, we are all fans of SK's work and we'll all watch and decide then wether it was any good...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

@McConaughey: Want to come walk the red carpet at the premiere of #TheDarkTower? Find out how here: http://bit.ly/1TWp47X

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Loving all the discussion on here.

@Bev - your link didn't lead to anything.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The link worked for me. You should get a web page then scroll down to the picture of McConaughey and click that. If I had the funds I'd bid on it. Can't even imagine the kind of night you could have at that event, and the after party.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

If I had that kind of money ($20,000) I'd probably still not go, cos if I didn't like it it would end in an argument....

Country
    Country Flag

It's estimated at 20K, but that doesnt mean that the auction will go that high.
    It's currently at about 3K

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's become a bit tedious. A bit like back a TV station in the 60's ~2am after the National anthem, and even after the test pattern...

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine has music playing backwards and says "system reset hello world freedom is a lie she sold her soul for a dream long dead

+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 254 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 238 ... LastLast