Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 254 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Sorry, I had to stop listening after the guy said that. He seriously couldn't be farther from the truth with that statement. Has he seen some of the crap turned out from Hollywood based on his books?
    And he was directly involved with 'Under the Dome' as an executive producer. King's approval with film means next to nothing at this point.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Default How should the movie start? SPOILER for the books.

So with the news of Stephen Kings post of a picture of a horn with the saying "Last Time Around" people seem to be going nuts for the movies.

What I want to know is how do you think the movie will start aside from the opening line in the book? I have a theory that I was telling a friend that I would love to see. It's a subtle nod to the people that read the books and know how it ends. So here is how I would like it to start.

Screen starts out all white and there is a loud ringing noise like ringing in the ears and barely audible you can hear Roland screaming "Oh, no! Please, not again!" Then the scene slowly comes into focus and we see Roland standing in the desert and either written on screen or as a voice over we have the famous opening line. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." So what do people think? I think it would be a cool little nod to readers of the books without spoiling the end of the series.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post

Yes, the presence of the horn makes a world
    (worlds)
    of difference.

Anything can happen.
    Yup. At this point it's virtually a sequel to the novels.

The more you think about it, the more brilliant the decision to approach it this way seems.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

(worlds)
    of difference.

Anything can happen.

The more you think about it, the more brilliant the decision to approach it this way seems.
    Said that the VERY 1st time I seen the photo... this is PURE BRILLIANCE... It really gives us more to chew on as lovers of the DT series!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

But doesn't that make you feel more like it's fan fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

(worlds)
    of difference.

Anything can happen.

Said that the VERY 1st time I seen the photo... this is PURE BRILLIANCE... It really gives us more to chew on as lovers of the DT series!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

(worlds)
    of difference.

Anything can happen.

No not really man...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well it's not written by King but an alternate/parallel story created by others based off of King. Like I said I hope it does well and I hope it's enjoyable. It is however not what I had in mind.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Was searching for a way to describe my thoughts on this and you nailed it...fan fiction it is.

My general thoughts on the adaptation:

I love Elba (I also think Bardem would have worked well).

McConaughey is quite good, but the presence of a name/presence such as his makes me fear the temptation to pad out what we see of the man in black (well, that and the comments in the interview saying as much). I would have preferred an uncredited unknown get the role and not have his face seen for the entire series, but that's just me.

TDT is such a weird product that any adaptation was going to struggle and I have no expectations for this (I will watch with an open mind and try to enjoy, but won't be enraged if the results aren't great).

Having said that, however, bad decision-making is always frustrating, and the idea that they are starting in the middle of the story is pretty poor and smacks of a "greatest hits LP" approach - I do NOT need to see Roland in NY during the opening credits, and if I do, I may walk (or at least make a mental note to come here and howl).

If I were emperor of the world, I would have liked to have had this made into a 20 or 30-hour HBO/Showtime miniseries, where large portions of some episodes were entirely free of dialogue - just throw it all up there and let the viewers catch up. This would not be regular TV, and that would be the point.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well it's not written by King but an alternate/parallel story created by others based off of King. Like I said I hope it does well and I hope it's enjoyable. It is however not what I had in mind.
    In that case every film that's ever been adapted from a novel in the history of cinema is fan fiction because nothing translates 100%. As has been said before, the needs of film and the needs of novels are very different.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Having said that, however, bad decision-making is always frustrating, and the idea that they are starting in the middle of the story is pretty poor and smacks of a "greatest hits LP" approach - I do NOT need to see Roland in NY during the opening credits, and if I do, I may walk (or at least make a mental note to come here and howl).
    How do you know it was a bad decision if you haven't seen the end results yet?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with that. I'm just curious as to what story we will actually get.

In that case every film that's ever been adapted from a novel in the history of cinema is fan fiction because nothing translates 100%. As has been said before, the needs of film and the needs of novels are very different.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

How do you know it was a bad decision if you haven't seen the end results yet?
    Because I've read the books!

To give a genuine answer: such a change would represent a significant distortion of the story, less an adaptation then reinterpretation. And if this reinterpretation looked fantastic on screen (best case scenario)? Then you have a situation like Kubrick's The Shining, which is thought a masterpiece by many, but it ain't King's tale, and given that this forum is called The Dark Tower, I know I'm not alone in saying I'm here to begin with because of King's stories, not for some auteur's ambitious take - for me, anything that isn't King's tale has missed the point, even if it turns out to be a great film on its own. [Side note about The Shining: I do think Kubrick's film is a masterwork, but when I think Shining, I prefer the miniseries, which, while it isn't going to win any awards, at least told the story in which I was interested - and Steven Weber was great in that, by the way.]

Obviously, these are my thoughts on what I want an adaptation to be - no one need agree.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That's cool, I can respect your point.

I just wish that we would get away from this idea that films are "supposed" to be something. The only thing they are really supposed to be is good.

Imperfect example I'm sure, but take comic book films for instance. Some of them are amazing films in their own right, and only borrow minimally from the works which they were inspired from.

Stuff like The Dark Knight, Civil War are able to tell compelling tales while only using the skeletal structure of their graphic novel counterpart.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really like the idea of this being more like a sequel to the novels. I've said this before several times; it's just another turn of the wheel. As Ka is a wheel. Besides, would we ever really be satisfied if they truly tried to turn the novels into film. I think not. It'd be picked apart like road kill on the highway. I'm sure it will still get picked part from here to eternity by fans. I was full of dread when this was first announced. But now, it's just a theory of what might have happened after we closed the cover on the last book. I'm totally pumped for it and hope it's a well made film. As I've stated before as well. If you are unable to separate the two mediums; you'll forever be disappointed. The world has moved on and The Dark Tower with it.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I think the whole "starting in the middle" things is a poor way for them to say what it going on. Clearly we are going to deal with stuff pre-Drawing because there is no Eddie and Susannah cast at this point. In addition the writer and King have both said that the trip through the mountain is happening and that this is a story of Jake and Roland bonding. If this is truly the "last time through" as King's image said than something important needs to happen differently under the mountain. And if that event changes than Jake is only going to be drawn once not twice. From a storytelling view the second drawing is much more interesting so they are likely going to use that story to bring Jake in. Because of that and the introduction of the later villains earlier (keeping in mind they were always around doing stuff in the books we just didn't know it) they are saying we are starting mid-story. But if I had to take a wild guess I would say that starting with the next film the time line would start to get more book-like.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Spoiler:
    I think the whole "starting in the middle" things is a poor way for them to say what it going on. Clearly we are going to deal with stuff pre-Drawing because there is no Eddie and Susannah cast at this point. In addition the writer and King have both said that the trip through the mountain is happening and that this is a story of Jake and Roland bonding. If this is truly the "last time through" as King's image said than something important needs to happen differently under the mountain. And if that event changes than Jake is only going to be drawn once not twice. From a storytelling view the second drawing is much more interesting so they are likely going to use that story to bring Jake in. Because of that and the introduction of the later villains earlier (keeping in mind they were always around doing stuff in the books we just didn't know it) they are saying we are starting mid-story. But if I had to take a wild guess I would say that starting with the next film the time line would start to get more book-like.
    Pretty good assessment I'd say .
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

King will endorse damn near anything where the rights have been paid. He so much as said so on a TMZ street interview when asked which of his books would he like to see adapted.
    All the newer (last 20+ years) books make him a huge advance for the rights, and of course once/if the movie is made, a % of the gross.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What Earth-equivalent accent did you imagine Roland emulating in the books?

What accent should Idris Elba put on for Roland Deschain?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    What Earth-equivalent accent did you imagine Roland emulating in the books?

What accent should Idris Elba put on for Roland Deschain?
    Preferably something understandable in English, USA (West Coast-closest to actual dictionary pronunciation-perhaps with an occasional lilt) would be my choice.
    I doubt they are shooting for Stephen King's actual voice. I've heard King's voice on the first few audio books, but since the movie is not a reading of the books; it would be best if they went another way.

Along the Path of the Beam twice is on a distinguished road twice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Did Tom Taylor just post a picture of Oy?

from the caves outside devar toi? https://twitter.com/TomTaylor1607/st...48401466765313

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd like him to have a Yorkshire accent...

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twice View Post
    Holy buck-toothed beavers Batman, I sure hope thats not supposed to be our friend Oy!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I would think Oy would be CGI but they would probably have a small animal there as a placeholder.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know why but I always saw oy as a badger like dog cross....

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These renditions come a hair's breadth away from how I envisioned Oy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 254 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast