Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 254 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Traveler kymkyhgq is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I still say the best route to go is an HBO miniseries... I can see The Dark Tower miniseries being about nineteen episodes long... Since it's all shot in advance, there would be none of the cancelling.
    That's how I envisioned it would work the best. The novels are set up with great breaking points that could easily fill an hour.

Ep 1: The Gunslinger (Tull)
    Ep 2: The Way Station
    Ep 3: The Oracle/Slow Mutants/M.I.B.
    Ep 4:The Prisoner
    Ep 5: The Lady of Shadows
    Ep 6: The Pusher
    Ep 7: Jake
    Ep 8: Lud
    Ep 9: Riddles
    Ep 10: Susan
    Ep 11: Come Reap
    Ep 12: All God's Chillun Got Shoes
    Ep 13: Roont/Todash
    Ep 14: Telling Tales
    Ep 15: The Wolves
    Ep 16: Song of Susannah pt 1
    Ep 17: Song of Susannah pt 2
    Ep 18: The Little Red King
    Ep 19: Blue Heaven
    Ep 20: In This Haze of Green and Gold
    Ep 21: The White Lands of Empathica
    Ep 22: The Scarlet Fields of Can'-Ka No Rey

Though I'm sure there's some way they can smush that into 19 eps. Because that would be great.
    22 eps makes a standard TV season (though maybe not an HBO season)

Traveler Mr. Clean is on a distinguished road Mr. Clean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even though the books themselves are laden with flashbacks, I believe that this would be a tiresome gimmick after a while in the movie/tv series. I believe that it would be much more likely that J.J. Abrahms would take on the earlier years of Roland Deschain and his time in Gilead. This would be an interesting aspect not yet fully realized by Mr. King in which he could contribute new material or ideas as well (as he is already doing with the comic books). There are many gaps in which we do not know the full details of his life in Gilead. Only chosen moments which fit into the telling of the novels.

A television mini-series could tell the events of Wizard and Glass (and more) and the movies could continue from there with the novels after a wider audience was gained. The popularity of the comic books as an independant story line from the books themselves points to this being the most likely course of action. Think of the comics as a test pilot for interest among fans. Many younger (teenage) readers are picking up on the Gunslinger series and going back to read the novels that started it all as well.

The love story and action in Wizard and Glass and other short stories points to the fact that the series is ripe for an amazingly done television mini-series. Something that J.J. Abrahms could take the helm on easily. He has already proven that he is more than capable of doing so. If Abrahms doesn't direct, he could very likely produce the series with someone else guided by him as director in the movies.

As far as Jake and his age throughout the books, much of that can be interpreted or adjusted in the scripts to fit. Things won't fit perfectly as they do in the books. That is why books are the perfect medium, you can do anything! But, they will find a way to make it work. Wether it's writing Jake's age difference into the script, or filming him all at once (a less likely scenario).

Either way, I believe that this is the one story of King's that will be done right.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The biggest obstacle I see is if the movie WERE done faithfully to the book I don't believe the masses would be too receptive to a film that
    Spoiler:
    really never has true resolution. What I'd really like to see (if they must do a film at all) is another of Roland's loops...possibly one where he doesn't have to loop again and again.
    I think really all the logistical problems of doing a seven movie series wouldn't really be a problem. I can think of ways around them. I have confidence a director such as Abrahms would have little problem doing so.
    Last edited by alinda; 09-20-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spoiler tag added
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice, mark your spoilers!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry! Thanks for fixing it.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

welcome

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Traveler RandoofGilead is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Agreed

All of you make very valid points and a good discussion. I would love to see it adapted to a film (now that I've read the story first). I think with Marvel plotting out the comics, it starts as a good source to start from.

Who knows. Maybe with how The Long Road and the new series is shaping up, it could be phased into the story as part of a long mini-series. It may or may not work but I think starting how the comics did may work better for a "flow".

Just my 2 cents.

Okay...1 1/2 cents.

Traveler D-Bo is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I would rather see MacFarlane ala Spawn than Taratovsky ala Clone Wars if the DT were ever animated.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm DT cartoon, I'm not to sure about this.....I'd have to wait to see it before i really pass judgment on it. Either way i hope they don't screw it up like WB [now kids13 or some bullshit] did with spiderman [screwed up the whole story of spiderman and everything!!!!

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Traveler Mr. Clean is on a distinguished road Mr. Clean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RandoofGilead View Post
    Who knows. Maybe with how The Long Road and the new series is shaping up, it could be phased into the story as part of a long mini-series. It may or may not work but I think starting how the comics did may work better for a "flow".
    If some of you haven't noticed, you'd be blind not to, Hollywood has run out of ideas for the most part. They're recycling a lot of stuff made in comic books, partially because the plotting, storyboards, etc. are almost already done for them! All they have to do is sort of cut and paste and bingo! The sales pitch to the studios is half way over and they have already started a fan base to justify getting the money to do the film. Unfortunately, this technique is also how a lot of people get money for poorly done films as well. The studios are simply looking at the format: comic book+fanbase+new ideas=$$$! Or so they hope.

The same goes for the Dark Tower comics. Think of them as story boards for the TV show/movie. That combined with Stephen King behind the project and J. J. Abrahms in talks... this will see the light of day eventually.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I agree with Lindelof that seven films is the way to go. A television series wouldnt have the budget to do it right. It would look cheesy and the effects would be terrible. And if it did get the budget, it would probably still get canned early, the way that Carnivale did due its huge costs. Like he said in his quote, the key is to make the first film so awesome that it draws people in and makes them want to see six more movies. Harry Potter is going the seven film route, and I am positive that DT can do the same. These are great stories, great volumes. With good writing, directing, and acting I could see The Gunslinger being an Oscar-worthy film. The shit with Jake and Roland--their dynamic--is dramatic movie gold.

The only problem is aging of characters, but even that can be dealt with. You just need creative producers.
    I agree with every single word of this post.
    What about the kid who played Anakin Skywalker? Is he too old by now?

Traveler kymkyhgq is on a distinguished road

Way too old... too bad, a few years ago he'd have fit in with my ideal "Jake" look.

This is taken from 2005... http://albums.mouseplanet.com/WDWMGM...ett_050625.jpg

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One problem that I think viewers would have is that W&G is such an abrupt and prolonged departure from the main story--which everyone is very invested in at the end of Waste Lands. An idea that I had would be to do the flashback sequence of W&G as a stand alone movie to start things off. Start with Roland's test and go from there. Essentially, follow the path drawn by The Gunslinger Born. This would introduce the reader to the foundations of King's mythology and would endear readers to the character of Roland. Call it volume four, if you want to go the Star Wars route.

Then have The Gunslinger be the second film released and proceed through The Waste Lands. Then the studio could do a rerelease of W&G, with all of the original story there, as well as the additions of the Blaine storyline's resolution at the beginning, and the face off with Flagg at the Emerald palace at the end. This would make it commercially beneficial, and the rerelease could precede WotC's release by just a few months, to stir interest again.

Another reason that I think this method would be beneficial is that W&G is a story that could stand alone if it had to. It has all of the elements of a hit film, and could create the fan fare needed to propel the series into enough of a pop status to make a seven film series financially feasible.
    Heng Dai

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd actually prefer an animated DT. I think it would be the best way to depict it and, as was pointed out above, it won't burn any particular actor's onto a characters face. This point is close to me because this happened to me with Dune. I saw David Lynch's movie before I read the books and I had a very hard time shaking those images. In fact, the actors that played Paul and Jessica, Mohiam, and Yueh were all so well cast that I can't think of the characters looking any other way when I'm reading Dune. I don't think this is a good thing.

As far as who should direct it? Dunno. But as far as animation goes, I do like what Peter Chung did for Aeon Flux. That style of animation would work well for this, at least as far as how the people themselves look.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't agree, per se. I think that cartoons (especially when well-done) burn an image as easily as a live actor might...

My reasons for perferring live action of cartoon is simple and selfish--I never got into those more adult action oriented cartoons. It's just not a medium that appeals to me. And for that reason, I'd like to see it done live if at all. Also, I think the movie/mini-series/whatever it may turn out to be would probably reach a wider audience if it were live action.

I think any one of us would wath it regardless, because of our (obvious) adoration for the series, but a cartoon movie/series may keep some people from being introduced to it.

Just my 2 cents.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post

I think any one of us would wath it regardless, because of our (obvious) adoration for the series,
    I probably wouldn't watch it at all, whether it's live or a cartoon...because of my adoration for the series.

If you rescue me

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay Mr. Exception-to-the-Rule.

I guess I should have said *many* of us would watch it...and some of us would be purists and not care for it regardlessof how it was done.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just fear I'd have to hunt down and kill whoever made it it they got one single thing wrong.

If you rescue me

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    I'd actually prefer an animated DT. I think it would be the best way to depict it and, as was pointed out above, it won't burn any particular actor's onto a characters face.
    I know exactly what you're saying Coz. I have similar issues with The Stand miniseries. It was not until the comic book came out this month that I have finally been able to shake the images of Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald as Stu & Frannie. The whole thing was poorly cast and burned itself into my brain. An animated version of DT would work far better for me than a live-action one.

Then again, after my experience with LotR, I may just not watch it at all if it were to happen. I have a vivid enough imagination and have seen DT in my head for years. I prefer that version.

I'll just hangout with Brice and make fun of it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't agree, per se.
    How dare you!?

I think that cartoons (especially when well-done) burn an image as easily as a live actor might...
    Obviously, you're mistaken.

My reasons for perferring live action of cartoon...
    Don't matter because you're wrong and I'm right.

I think any one of us would wath it regardless.
    I've never wathed anything in my life I deeply resent the accusation.

I suggest you go sit in the corner and rethink your perspective and how bad of a person you are. Shame on you.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with your general ideas, Aaron, in terms of a viable order in which to tell the stories. If you are talking about an initial movie and then a TV series, it works fine and is a great idea. (If you are talking about a series of movies, I don't think you could get away with a movie having a cliffhanger like at the end of The Wastelands. I think that you would need to wrap up that particular storyline within the movie in which it starts.)
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Traveler Reverend Brimmstone is on a distinguished road Reverend Brimmstone's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As for who would play Roland,Gary Cole seems beyond perfect to me.
    He resembles Sai King quite a bit,I think,which is important for the character.

Yes,I realise he was Mike Brady and Ricky Bobby's Dad,I don't think i have to mention Bill Lumberg.Yeah,Um,I'm going to go ahead and ask you to agree to look past that.But Hey,He was Birdman!

I started reading The Dark Tower Series around the time Wanted(the TV show) came about and was subsequently cancelled a few eps. later.I never got to see a single episode,by the way.

Anyway,that's how i became aware of Gary Cole,as a Gun-slinging bad-ass in the advertisements,so my brain assimilated him into the role and it stuck from then on ,every time i read The Series.

Also,the Character's name was Lt. Conrad ROSE.
    Yeah,kind of seemed like a sign or sigul(do ya) to me.
    (Gary Cole has 19 pics on his IMDB page,also*squeak*)
    As for the end of the universe..I say let it come as it will, in ice, fire, or darkness. What did the universe ever do for me that I should mind its welfare?
    -Randall Flagg

Do I look like a reasonable man,or a Peppermint Nightmare?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It took me a minute to realize that you were not talking about Gary Coleman.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It took me a minute to realize that you were not talking about Gary Coleman.

LOL The actor gets that a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 254 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast