Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I've always been under the impression that Mejis was the Mid-world version on Mexico. I could be mistaken. I'm rereading the books and I'm not at that point yet. I do remember that the folks there had a different accent. I don't see why they'd have a second thought about a black gunslinger. Folks throughout that entire world seem accepting of a lot of weird shit actually (mutants, Andy, talking trains, magic etc.) So we're going to have to strongly disagree on this one.
    I seem to remember the people of River Crossing being a little surprised about Susannah for some reason. I just don't remember if it was the color of her skin or the fact that she's female.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I still disagree that all we have to do to accept a black Roland is tell ourselves it's a fictional character in a fictional world and that gives us (or the story adapters) the obligation to accept it without pause. Robin Hood was a fictional character. Could you imagine a movie where he was Chinese? What about a black Paul Bunyan? If a movie had a Chinese Robin Hood walking up to a peasant cottage in Nottingham Forest with a bag of coins, don't you think there would be a reaction of WTF? These people would never have seen a Chinese fellow and it would have rocked their world.

I don't get from my reading of the DT books that folks in the Baronies, or Mejis, or Mid-World, would nonchalantly accept a black gunslinger, given the mythology King created around the character of Roland and the guild of the gunslingers. Sure, it would work fine in the scenes in the modern world, where no one would bat an eye, but not in the World of the Dark Tower.

That's why I see this as completely different from changing the character of "Red" in Shawshank from Irish to black. That's easy. In the world created for the story, the internal logic still holds. A black prisoner. Ho-hum. No big deal. I do not see this holding in the DT world King created.

Now, having said all that, I can see the writers changing the DT world to accommodate a black Roland. How? I don't know. But given the wholesale changes hinted at above regarding all the other characters and storylines (which I am NOT a fan of at this point), I guess they could create a world where there are black folks living amongst the various Mid-World/Barony communities and that they would be just as likely to come from a heraldic line than anyone else. A world where a black gunslinger could show up and no one would bat an eye. Sure, such a world could be created. But King did not create that world.

But once you change the DT world to such an extent, change the characters (again, to a major extent), substantially change the plot, well, you pretty much lose my interest. The movie might indeed be great, but at some point it ceases to be a "Dark Tower" movie and becomes a random fantasy action/adventure movie.
    So would it be a fair assumption then that TDT films will be 'based' on the novel series, not necessarily adapted from it? Now that I think about it, maybe that could be said of The Shining film also.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Based on that article I am seeing the vision. They are going to bring Jake in via the method in the Wastelands because they don't intend to drop him in the mountains and have him die.
    Spoiler:
    Roland has the horn so this is the next path and King has pointed out that the most crucial choice Roland makes is letting Jake die. So he is going to save Jake in the mountain thus making this a fundamentally different loop with a potentially very different ending. So if he doesn't die there than bringing in him in the way he does in the Wastelands makes some sense because it's more interesting
    Great write up. Lots of good points here.

Yes..

Spoiler:
    Roland having the horn this time around certainly shakes the structure of the story up quite a bit. I would imagine that not letting Jake die this time will see a cosmic tip in Roland's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I still disagree that all we have to do to accept a black Roland is tell ourselves it's a fictional character in a fictional world and that gives us (or the story adapters) the obligation to accept it without pause. Robin Hood was a fictional character. Could you imagine a movie where he was Chinese? What about a black Paul Bunyan? If a movie had a Chinese Robin Hood walking up to a peasant cottage in Nottingham Forest with a bag of coins, don't you think there would be a reaction of WTF? These people would never have seen a Chinese fellow and it would have rocked their world.
    Yeah but Robin Hood is an English folklore hero, China is an actual place. These are actual places with established physiological traits.

I've always been under the impression that Mejis was the Mid-world version on Mexico. I could be mistaken..
    No I definitely remember reading that. Where was that? Perhaps in Bev's book?

Susan's last name is Delgado, a common surname in Mexico.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Attention users whom have completed The Dark Tower..

Spoiler:

As a courtesy to those whom have yet to complete the series, can we please spoiler tag any talks regarding the 'loop'?

Now that the film series has been made official, we are going to be greeted with an influx of new members and many of them will not be aware of how the story ends. We have to assume that many will begin their journey based on discussions on this site.

Johnny Alien - I went back to your original post and put Spoiler tags around it. Just a precaution.

Thanks everyone.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I've always been under the impression that Mejis was the Mid-world version on Mexico. I could be mistaken..
    No I definitely remember reading that. Where was that? Perhaps in Bev's book?

Susan's last name is Delgado, a common surname in Mexico.
    It's stated so in Bev's book for sure. I read through that section earlier this morning.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I've changed my mind and can't wait to see this.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

As a courtesy to those whom have yet to complete the series, can we please spoiler tag any talks regarding the 'loop'?

Now that the film series has been made official, we are going to be greeted with an influx of new members and many of them will not be aware of how the story ends. We have to assume that many will begin their journey based on discussions on this site.

Johnny Alien - I went back to your original post and put Spoiler tags around it. Just a precaution.

Thanks everyone.
    Thanks! I should have thought of that myself!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    It's stated so in Bev's book for sure. I read through that section earlier this morning.
    King identifies it as an analog of Mexico in the coda of Song of Susannah.

I want to write about Susan, Roland's first love, and I want to set their "cowboy romance" in a fictional part of Mid-World called Mejis (i.e., Mexico).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Getting there myself.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember King describing different ethnicities or races of most characters the ka-tet encounters. Why assume they're Caucasian? Is that a default race people have in their mind's eye? That reminds me when white folks freaked out when a black girl played Hermoine in a play. Rowling herself said she never wrote her as a white girl, people assumed she was. Skin colour was never specified. Ditto for Mid-World's inhabitants. They're not in medivial England.
    I wonder why people thought Rowling intended her to be white...

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Take it up with Rowling. She said skin colour was never mentioned.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't care about the casting but if she said that Hermione's race was ambiguous and that people only assumed that she was white then she's being disengenious.

Also both King and Rowling are writers who specify when a character isn't white. The one time King didn't was when Mike Hanlon was introduced in It which was deliberate on his part.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Getting there myself.
    Same here. Although I'm starting to realize that really wanting to see it and thinking it's going to be bad are two mutually exclusive feelings.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember King describing different ethnicities or races of most characters the ka-tet encounters. Why assume they're Caucasian? Is that a default race people have in their mind's eye? That reminds me when white folks freaked out when a black girl played Hermoine in a play. Rowling herself said she never wrote her as a white girl, people assumed she was. Skin colour was never specified. Ditto for Mid-World's inhabitants. They're not in medivial England.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

I wonder why people thought Rowling intended her to be white...
    Take it up with Rowling. She said skin colour was never mentioned.
    From J K Rowling herself....

"Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione."

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/678888094339366914?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I don't care about the casting but if she said that Hermione's race was ambiguous and that people only assumed that she was white then she's being disengenious.

Also both King and Rowling are writers who specify when a character isn't white. The one time King didn't was when Mike Hanlon was introduced in It which was deliberate on his part.
    There is nothing disingenuous in not specifying skin colour. It just means that race is not an issue to the story being told. If it's not a concern for the author, then it should not be a concern for the reader.

J K Rowling publically endorsed a black Hermione. Stephen King publically endorsed a black Roland. The characters in question are the intellectual property of those who created them. Whom is anyone to question the veracity of their endorsements?

Black or white. It matters not.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    There is nothing disingenuous in not specifying skin colour.
    I never suggested otherwise.

What I said was disingenuous was the idea that people only assumed Hermione was white due to subconscious racism even though Rowling herself had depicted her as such in her own personal illustrations and not once in the close to two decades since the first book ever clarified or corrected authorized depictions of her as such.

It just means that race is not an issue to the story being told.
    Perhaps but Rowling went out of her way to specify when other characters were black even when they had no relevance to the plot. (I.E. Angelina Johnson and Dean Thomas) So she thought it was more relevant to say that a character with no significance to the plot was black but didn't specify once in seven books that Hermione was.

My Collection

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Thanks everyone.
    ...great...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps but Rowling went out of her way to specify when other characters were black even when they had no relevance to the plot. (I.E. Angelina Johnson and Dean Thomas) So she thought it was more relevant to say that a character with no significance to the plot was black but didn't specify once in seven books that Hermione was.
    Or wasn't! It doesn't matter either way. The colour of Hermione's skin (or any character in Harry Potter) is irrelevant.

Country
    Country Flag

The colour of Hermione's skin (or any character in Harry Potter) is irrelevant.
    I'm not arguing otherwise.

My Collection

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Getting there myself.
    Same here. Although I'm starting to realize that really wanting to see it and thinking it's going to be bad are two mutually exclusive feelings.
    I've been on the "can't wait to see this" camp ever since the possibility of a film even came up.

I just wish I could fully embrace it and not be wary of so many of the decisions they're taking.

I'm slowly coming around though..

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just make and release a movie. I'll be ecstatic to provide my opinion/review then.
    It's easy to see why making any movie is damn near impossible.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

If the film(s) are flops, would that affect the value of the limited editions? I would assume that if the adaptation were a huge hit that the values would increase. It's just a question and I'm sorry if I upset anyone with it.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

"White privilege" would apply in any case where your default assumption is the character looks like "you," with "you" being a white reader.

THAT is privilege - as in you are privileged to go through life assuming that the heroes will look like you unless you are specifically told otherwise. You're "privileged" to be the default position.

It's like Jesus Christ - he's not white, by any stretch of the imagination. He would look - at best - like a dark-skinned Israeli, and probably more like a Palestinian Arab. And yet, western culture has appropriated his image to fit our cultural expectations.

In Hermoine's case there is actually a brief reference to her skin color in the first book - and I'm pretty sure we had the discussion that Roland's color is mentioned as far as 'bronzed in the sun' or whatever.

The fact that SK especially draws attention to BLACK characters is privilige - not in a racist way, but just in the way "white skin" is the default of America. He doesn't say "this character is white," but DOES say "this character is black." So he's dividing the characters along one category, not the other category.

It's not racist, but when you live in a culture where the cultural assumption goes toward one skin color/religion/ethnicity/gender, THAT is what privilege is - so if you're a white male with a Christian/Protestant background you can expect American culture to generally look like, and skew toward you and your perspective. If you are not in that category, then you will often be the "other."

As in: "Oh, he's my Jewish friend so he has to wear that funny hat." or "It's so great that's she going to law school - great for women to get ahead!" or "I don't understand why black people complain about getting pulled over - I just hand them my license and they don't bother me!"

So privilege is not racism or bigotry or sexism, but simply drawing attention to how the "other" is not part of what is considered the mainstream (considered by who? White male Christians of course!)...when we say "Roland is white and should always will be white," what you're really saying is "Why does my cultural history have to change? Why can't it the stay the same as it always did? Why do I have to adapt?"

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    If the film(s) are flops, would that affect the value of the limited editions? I would assume that if the adaptation were a huge hit that the values would increase. It's just a question and I'm sorry if I upset anyone with it.
    I used to think so, but I don't think the two audiences -movie viewers and collectors - really overlap. There was a slight skew for comic books, for example, but it wasn't dramatic. So I don't think it will hurt, but I don't think it's going to matter that much.

The problem is the books are finished - so a new collector has no way to start NOW. It's not like you can say "okay, well let me try to get 'Book 10.'" It's already at the finish line.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait to see Jack team up with Draven.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

[QUOTE=Rahfa;986200...when we say "Roland is white and should always will be white," what you're really saying is "Why does my cultural history have to change? Why can't it the stay the same as it always did? Why do I have to adapt?"[/QUOTE]

In my humble opinion:
    Roland=Honk Mufah
    therefore, he's a white guy. The white guys are the honky motherfuckers, after all.

I dont think this opinion has any bearing on my opinions of real, living people of color, or on my opinions of their various cultures.
    Im sure some of you disagree, but that's simply my perspective on the situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast