Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "The Shining" however, was a different story altogether. I thought a lot of the changes were just for the sake of changes and did nothing to convey or enhance the original novel or the film. JMHO
    You are off base Bill! CrayCray!

Kubrick's adaptation of the Shining is a masterpiece. I dunno if I would call the Shining one of King's masterpieces, but perhaps, I guess it goes with how much you like it.

King got mad because Kubrick created somethign better out of his story, BUT he did scrap some of the story, so the author's ego was bruised.

If Nikolaj Arcel creates a Kubrickian Masterpiece out of the Dark Tower adaptation, I will eat all of my pessimistic words AND my hat.

But that is not going to happen. The Producers SMELL MONEY. The Dark Tower is a property that the beancounters are ready to whore out.

I just hope shit is not deposited in the bed.

I'd LOVE to see Arcel make an Oscar contending arthouse film, but I'm not holding my breath.

People want to get rich, so the story (and those who are loyal to the story) will most probably suffer.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

here you go Bill.

Check out "overlooked details in the Shining" perhaps you missed some of them.

http://pchm.co/the-shining/

I can understand "personally preferring" the Book version, but saying Kubrick borked up the adaptation is ridiculous. Kubrick was a genius...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    King got mad because Kubrick created somethign better out of his story, BUT he did scrap some of the story, so the author's ego was bruised.
    This is a ridiculous assertion. King has been not only incredibly self-effacing of his own work (he admitted in an interview that Halloran and Mother Abigail were both "magical Negroes" and that writing black people was not a strong point for him at the time) but has also straight up said that he prefers many films over the source materials. For example he thought the ending to Darabont's The Mist was superior to his own and regrets not coming up with it first.

The idea that King dislikes Kubrick's film because it bruised his ego because Kubrick 'bested' him is an insult to the man. If King truly believed that he would have said as much, just as he said that the film version of Carrie improved on his novel only a few years earlier.

here you go Bill.

Check out "overlooked details in the Shining" perhaps you missed some of them.

http://pchm.co/the-shining/

I can understand "personally preferring" the Book version, but saying Kubrick borked up the adaptation is rediculous. Kubrick was a genius...
    Articles like this remind me of how Room 237 looked for symbolism where Kubrick did not intend it; the German typewriter representing the Holocaust when Kubrick just liked how it looked, the elaborate symbolism surrounding a painting of a Minotaur when said painting was in fact of a skiier, etc.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

The Shining as a novel is a masterpiece - I would never calll Kubrick's film version a masterpiece, and certainly not better than the novel in any shape or form! It's true that King has endorsed some not-so-good adaptations lately: A Good Marriage and Under the Dome. So maybe he has somehow lost it in that department, or maybe don't care so much anymore. Except his endorsement and praise of the show, 11.22.63, is spot on. That one is really good. I have come to terms with Idris as Roland, but I still have big problems with the rest - seems almost like they just want to ruin it and piss off the fanbase! And King, eager to please, for whatever reasons, just goes along and says "That sounds fantastic, go for it!" I will watch it, and may even end up liking/loving it, it remains to be seen, but oh boy, most of the recent news about The Dark Tower movie franchise has been scarier than any novel by King, and a head-shaking experience. The only thing, so far, that they have managed to do perfectly is casting Matthew as Flagg!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is way off topic, I really don't like it when King fans and King himself crap on Kubrick's movie. It is a masterpiece. It's one of the scariest movies ever made, and it's also just plain one of the best movies ever made. Period.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me it was as scary as Mr. Rogers on Valium.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This is way off topic, I really don't like it when King fans and King himself crap on Kubrick's movie. It is a masterpiece. It's one of the scariest movies ever made, and it's also just plain one of the best movies ever made. Period.
    I sincerely respect your opinion and your point of view as a fellow forum member, pablo regarding The Shining but I just strongly disagree with you is all. In fact, if we are ever in the same neck of the woods, I'd be willing to watch the film with you, pausing it to argue both of our point of views. I seriously doubt either of us would change the others mind but at the end of day; I'd say we go grab a beer, eat some really unhealthy bar food, and call it a draw. Never to discuss the topic amongst ourselves again . You know, kinda like people used to do before "the world moved on" with the internet and such. To get back on topic, as far as TDT film, to the film makers; amaze me and you'll have a fan for the duration of the film series. But you're going to have to come out guns blazing so to speak and get me early; before that narrow strip of space (known as my mind) locks up tight.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In and of itself it was (is) a pretty good film. Fidelity to source material...that's another matter altogether.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love it, hate it, or indifferent; would you guys agree that the film is going to open up all sorts new collectable memorabilia? Because at the end of the day, that's what we are, right? Collectors......

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My biggest concern....?

All the people that over the years I have been telling them just how great this set of books is are going to see this movie and think, "what the hell was he talking about? this is crap. I'm glad I never bothered to read them."
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Or they'll go OMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD This is so awesome! Must! Read! All!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Why Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a masterpiece of film making

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    The Shining as a novel is a masterpiece - I would never calll Kubrick's film version a masterpiece, and certainly not better than the novel in any shape or form! It's true that King has endorsed some not-so-good adaptations lately: A Good Marriage and Under the Dome. So maybe he has somehow lost it in that department, or maybe don't care so much anymore. Except his endorsement and praise of the show, 11.22.63, is spot on. That one is really good. I have come to terms with Idris as Roland, but I still have big problems with the rest - seems almost like they just want to ruin it and piss off the fanbase! And King, eager to please, for whatever reasons, just goes along and says "That sounds fantastic, go for it!" I will watch it, and may even end up liking/loving it, it remains to be seen, but oh boy, most of the recent news about The Dark Tower movie franchise has been scarier than any novel by King, and a head-shaking experience. The only thing, so far, that they have managed to do perfectly is casting Matthew as Flagg!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    To me it was as scary as Mr. Rogers on Valium.
    I don't wish to steer this thread back off topic, but I feel I must weigh in on the discussion concerning Stanley Kubrick's The Shining....

Personally, I am not surprised that many fans of the book hate Stanley Kubrick's movie - especially if they have read the book first, as Stephen King's version plays on completely different themes. Stephen King tells the story a man being possessed by a haunted hotel, whilst Stanley Kubrick's movie is essentially about a man slowly sinking into psychotic madness.

However, whether people prefer the book or the movie is an existential choice between preferring supernatural or psychological horror. Stephen King’s stories are all about emotion: his characters feel their way in and out of horrifying situations. However, Stephen King is not a visual thinker, he loves to tell, rather than show.

For Stanley Kubrick, if it can’t be seen, it doesn’t exist. His storytelling thrives on visual symbolism and artistic imagery. Where Stephen King likes to emotionally manipulate the reader, Stanley Kubrick likes to mess with his audience’s spatial awareness. For instance, Stanley Kubrick's use of steadicam and wide lenses has the audience moving through corridors that are too wide and at the wrong height, as Danny's tricycle rattles over wooden floors and silent rugs.

Together with some of the most memorable and iconic images of the film: The blood pouring out of the elevators, the twin girls, the claustrophobic hedge maze, the vast eerie ballroom, the woman in Room 237. Stanley Kubrick's vision unsettles the mind. Technically, there is no better film in this genre.

For myself, I love both the book and the movie equally, as they are in essence, completely different entities - One supernatural the other psychological. One thing is certain though, The TV mini series with it's laughable CGI leaf monsters is an utter joke in comparison.

Like it or loathe it, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining remains a modern masterpiece of film making.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Love it, hate it, or indifferent; would you guys agree that the film is going to open up all sorts new collectable memorabilia? Because at the end of the day, that's what we are, right? Collectors......
    I would relish the opportunity to secure a bottle of promotional "Nozz-A-La".

--- --- ---
    --- --- ---
    --- --- ---

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74563

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

For myself, I love both the book and the movie equally, as they are in essence, completely different entities - One supernatural the other psychological. One thing is certain though, The TV mini series with it's laughable CGI leaf monsters is an utter joke in comparison.

Like it or loathe it, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining remains a modern masterpiece of film making.
    Agree

Believe me, If the Dark Tower adaptation is even close to the quality of Kubrick's the Shining, I will shut the f up about Nikolaj Arcel right now!

(thankfully, I have never watched the tv mini-series)

What this really boils down to is how protective people really are of the source material and their love for it. I mean I, of all people, do not want this adaptation to fail...

I am just taking the pessimistic attitude based upon little information. (and also my love for the source material and not wanting to see it changed much)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

To get back on topic, as far as TDT film, to the film makers; amaze me and you'll have a fan for the duration of the film series. But you're going to have to come out guns blazing so to speak and get me early; before that narrow strip of space (known as my mind) locks up tight.
    But the fact of that matter is, we know already they are NOT trying to amaze the ardent fan. If they were they, would stay true to the beloved source material and make the adaptation as close as possible!

Instead they are trying to lure in folks who are NOT fans and milk the cash cow. Let's make Roland Black! We can cover many demographics and get more asses in the seats! (story be damned...)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Articles like this remind me of how Room 237 looked for symbolism where Kubrick did not intend it; the German typewriter representing the Holocaust when Kubrick just liked how it looked, the elaborate symbolism surrounding a painting of a Minotaur when said painting was in fact of a skiier, etc.
    As it says in the article. Kubrick does not connect the dots for you. He leaves it up to you, or your subconscious to do so. If you choose not to do so, then that is up to you. Many others have chosen to do so or have been psychologically unsettled by the work.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post

--- --- ---
    --- --- ---
    --- --- ---

That was a great read. I'm still not sure that I'm going to like what they do with it though. This paragraph really disturbs me:

Spoiler:
    Jake's not a confused child who doesn't know why he's there. He's the one on a mission, convinced he's meant to help Roland find the Dark Tower, which is something Roland has no interest in. He's only after revenge. He has given up protecting the tower in order to focus on killing the Man in Black.

I don't like that at all.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Not necessarily any new information, but an interesting column

Stephen King’s ‘Dark Tower’ gets a movie adaptation — and a second chance

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post

--- --- ---
    --- --- ---
    --- --- ---

That was a great read. I'm still not sure that I'm going to like what they do with it though. This paragraph really disturbs me:

Spoiler:
    Jake's not a confused child who doesn't know why he's there. He's the one on a mission, convinced he's meant to help Roland find the Dark Tower, which is something Roland has no interest in. He's only after revenge. He has given up protecting the tower in order to focus on killing the Man in Black.

I don't like that at all.
    I'd have to agree with you on that. Sounds scary, LOL

I sure love reading the comments of aintitcool...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

To get back on topic, as far as TDT film, to the film makers; amaze me and you'll have a fan for the duration of the film series. But you're going to have to come out guns blazing so to speak and get me early; before that narrow strip of space (known as my mind) locks up tight.
    But the fact of that matter is, we know already they are NOT trying to amaze the ardent fan. If they were they, would stay true to the beloved source material and make the adaptation as close as possible!
    The ardent fan base represents a very small percentage of the movie-going public, so it would not be fiscally prudent for them to focus on satisfying just that audience. They have to create a movie that will appeal to people who've never even read a King novel, let alone a Dark Tower book.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The ardent fan base represents a very small percentage of the movie-going public, so it would not be fiscally prudent for them to focus on satisfying just that audience. They have to create a movie that will appeal to people who've never even read a King novel, let alone a Dark Tower book.
    Great point, Bev. I saw many King adaptations before I discovered King the writer in high school; strangely enough as Richard Bachman via [B]Thinner[B]. I really liked all the movies I'd seen based on his work (except The Shining, to each his own on that old tired beat horse) but the reading of the stories was like, WOW!!. The movies I'd seen made me appreciate the writing so much more if that makes sense. Maybe TDT film/s will actually get a lot of folks to crack open the books like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc, I'm sure did. I guess thinking with the glass half full rather than empty. It might usher in a whole other generation of King fans .

P.S. Since it's Dark Tower related ; really digging your latest book, Bev! Good stuff.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

100% Correct.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

As it says in the article. Kubrick does not connect the dots for you. He leaves it up to you, or your subconscious to do so. If you choose not to do so, then that is up to you. Many others have chosen to do so or have been psychologically unsettled by the work.
    Perhaps but people who have worked with Kubrick have said that a lot of the symbolism was A.) not intended or B.) flat-out wrong (the minotaur just being a picture of a skier for example). Kubrick's personal assistant that 80% of the stuff for example in Room 237 was flat-out gibberish.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 254 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast