Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Maybe but changing a character who is fueled by hatred for white people to "she hates everyone because she's crazy" just cheapens her arc.
    That's a good point...Detta becomes a lot less interesting. Though Eddie woudl still be there. But there is a negative effect on her arc.

On another note, Deadpool, which is R-rated, just crushed it with $135 million opening weekend...so maybe there is a legit market for R-rated, GoT-style fantasy violence. Deadpool's success def. changes the game.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Deadpool is not anything close to GOT fantasy. He is one of the most popular Marvel characters at the moment and this movie is riding that hype. Essentially this movie is a comedy action film in what might be the most popular movie genre at the moment (comic movies). The Dark Tower is not close to the same thing.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Deadpool is not anything close to GOT fantasy. He is one of the most popular Marvel characters at the moment and this movie is riding that hype. Essentially this movie is a comedy action film in what might be the most popular movie genre at the moment (comic movies). The Dark Tower is not close to the same thing.
    I don't care about any of that. It's not about Deadpool the character.

It's an R-Rated movie in a normally PG-13 genre...and it made $135 million, which proves that a movie like Dark Tower could also be R-rated and possibly be a success. I had figured that they needed to stay in PG-13, but now I don't think so.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Again...Deadpool has a HUGE built in audience. It is based on a notoriously adult themed comic book. It could never be a PG-13 film just like you could never have a PG-13 South Park. TDT does not have that same huge audience and it's a weird fantasy western that is not a super easy sale. They need to get a LOT of non-readers into it and having it R just won't make it happen as easily. The source material does not need to be R.

Now if it was a series on HBO then go crazy...people will watch whatever on HBO. They put even more sex and violence into GOT that wasn't even in the book. I think all of that would be ideal but sadly that is not the format they are going with.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think Deadpoool has that huge a following... I'm going to see it but mostly due to the fantastic marketing... I think the DT movies could work well as R. I can tell you this... Deadpool has paved the way for movies that are afraid to be R to give it a shot. This is great news....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Before this movie just look at how often deadpool was used as avatars on the internet. It is only second to Batman. That comic has a very strong fanbase. Here is a great article from Forbes that basically is saying what I was trying to say...Deadpool is source material that actually would be hurt by going to PG-13. If a movie can be done PG-13 and be done well you can bet the studio will want to do it. The choice to go R will only happen if it kills the source material to not go R.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco.../#24f7c7c96650

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I don't think Deadpoool has that huge a following... I'm going to see it but mostly due to the fantastic marketing... I think the DT movies could work well as R. I can tell you this... Deadpool has paved the way for movies that are afraid to be R to give it a shot. This is great news....

Incorrect. Deadpool is the favorite character of the younger generation. Deadpool is a phenomenon. He is the current ages Wolverine.

You are just too old, LOL
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

You think Kris is old? I don't even know who he is.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Incorrect. Deadpool is the favorite character of the younger generation. Deadpool is a phenomenon. He is the current ages Wolverine.

You are just too old, LOL
    He's popular with comic fans but the majority of people who saw the film probably didn't know who he was. That it would do as well as it did was far from a given, that's why the budget was "only" 50 million dollars (for comparison Ant Man was 130 million). It probably wouldn't have even been made if it weren't for Ryan Reynolds' persistence.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

I have no idea who Deadpool is - none. Not an inkling other than a movie came out with him as the character.

What I CAN do is count - and $135 million opening weekend for an R-rated movie is a big deal. It means they can have an adult GoT-style bloodbath, swearing, nudity movie AND there's an audience that wants a hard edge.

Now - Expendables tried the exact same thing and bombed. Because making it R-rated froze out teen audiences, and left their audience nostaligic old people from the 1980s....I'm not saying teen audiences were that interested in Sly Stallone, but they didn't even try for that market, and it didn't work. Would PG-13 have saved them? I dunno - but the first two Expendables did okay.

I don't care about Deadpool the character, and yes I get that he has a built-in audience and that's a big help - but the additional market might be there for an R-rated sci-fi/fantasy movie in a way that I didn't think was true. The people who are like "Good! Deadpool's an adult action movie!" will also be likely to think about Dark Tower as an R-rated film too.

That's all my point is - I have no opinion about Deadpool. Obviously, he's popular - it made $135 million...if DT made $100 million opening weekend, everyone would be happy.

Country
    Country Flag

He's popular with comic fans but the majority of people who saw the film probably didn't know who he was.
    Why would you assume that?

The facts are the facts...Deadpool is massively popular in a way that DT is not. Not even close. And Deadpool is not close to the same genre as GOT or DT. Just because a comic film does well as an R does not mean all of them will. Avengers would have been a huge disappointment with a limited market. Deadpool is R rated material.

He's popular with comic fans but the majority of people who saw the film probably didn't know who he was.

The facts are the facts...Deadpool is massively popular in a way that DT is not. Not even close. And Deadpool is not close to the same genre as GOT or DT. Just because a comic film does well as an R does not mean all of them will. Avengers would have been a huge disappointment with a limited market. Deadpool is R rated material.
    The point about popularity is true - and you're right that a specific comic book movie can do R, but others can't (Avengers couldn't be R, right).

But I think a hard-R DT could work...but, does it have the market of 20-somethings that drove Deadpool? Dunno...probably not.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ehhhh... I don't know if I'd consider Deadpool's fanbase "massive". I can't remember the last time he had a top 10 selling comic. I mean sure, he's had a lot of exposure (heh heh) in recent times but he is still nowhere near the gravitational pull of a Spiderman, Batman or Superman etc.

I think Deadpool the movie's success is due in large part to the fact that Superhero films have reached saturation levels, and the masses were for hungry for something different. A subversion. Deadpool was the perfect vehicle for that.

It was also riding the updraft of Marvel's brand recognition. Do you think Guardians of the Galaxy was a well known IP prior to the film? Hell no. But you slap Marvel on it and all of a sudden it gets people talking. They have the magic touch at the moment.

The Dark Tower might not have the benefit of Marvel's backing, but if marketed right it could draw in a sizable crowd... The mission here is to get enough butts in seats so that the studio at least turns some kind of profit and to help establish a foundation and baseline of recognition for the future films.

Might not be a good example, but Batman Begins was only a modest success, The Dark Knight is what blew the doors wide open. It was an important victory for Nolan to gain back the trust of the audience after the dismal Batman & Robin.

It will be important for TDT to gain that same kind of trust.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well for starters Deadpool's comic had less than 100,000 estimated sales for the month of January. Compare that to the millions of dollars it made on opening weekend. Comics make up a very niche audience.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd never heard of Deadpool until the movie came out.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I think Deadpool the movie's success is due in large part to the fact that Superhero films have reached saturation levels, and the masses were for hungry for something different. A subversion. Deadpool was the perfect vehicle for that.
    I actually think it's the opposite. The success is because people like superhero movies so much, they want more, and this year we will have, I believe, a record amount of superhero movies. To most moviegoers who like the genre, this is just another superhero movie (especially with Colossus prominently featured in the trailers and such) and most can't get enough.

Country
    Country Flag

Look.....if TDT was nothing but boob and dick jokes and the entire story hinged around it I would say it would fail as a PG-13 movie. But since the only thing we are talking about is taming down some of the violence (and it's really doubtful much of that would even need tamed because it's not gory) I think it would make a successful PG-13 film. Unless it will harm the series in some way (as it would for Deadpool and as was pointed out it did for the Expendables movie) then they will 100% shoot for PG-13. Beyond the Eddie naked fight scene I can't think of anything that wouldn't work well in PG-13. Dead pool's success might rock the boat a bit but it will not change the fact that there is almost always more money in PG-13. Deadpool is an instance of the reverse....the source material is adult enough that it would have been awful to see it not done that way.

Perhaps since Marvel does the comic line they can tag it with both Stephen King and Marvel and rule the world.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps since Marvel does the comic line they can tag it with both Stephen King and Marvel and rule the world.
    I was thinking about that too actually. If they could find any way to tag Marvel on there it would give the franchise a ridiculous boost.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I had to search two different websites to figure out who the hell she even was.

http://www.pathofthebeam.com/people/...he-dark-tower/
    A low woman in the Dixie Pig. Partner of Andrew. She struck the sköldpadda from Callahan’s hands
    I remember the scene but never in a million years would I have come up with her name. Why are they casting a character from book 7?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The name was familiar, but I honestly had to look it up to remember where in the books I read the name. I'm stumped too.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I remember the scene but never in a million years would I have come up with her name. Why are they casting a character from book 7?
    Because they are fucking the whole thing up, continuing the theme started when they hired Idris Elba.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree with all of this...

Deadpool was successful because it was FUNNY. Folks that didnt know who he was went to see it because the film really is WHAT ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOING and because it was pretty certain to make them laugh. Producers would sell their souls to be able to mass market the HIP "IT" property, but this film was like catching lightning in a bottle. I wonder of its success can be replicated again. It CERTAINLY will not be by a "hard R" Dark Tower.

Deadpool is a property that has legs to be Iconic, because it is the FAVORITE of the new generation. Look at how much money the Spiderman franchise has made. Look at how popular Wolverine was with my generation. Deadpool is the heir apparant.

Folks who think the popularity of the Dark Tower series has even a snowballs chance of coming close to the popularity of a really beloved character/property are just fooling themselves. The Dark Tower is not Tolkien. It is not Marvel's biggest character. We will be lucky if it even gets made at all and even luckier if it is completed.

I shudder to think of Idris Elba being cast as Gunslinger and the first feature underperforming and subsequent chapters being shelved.

I hope we get ANY adaptation and even if it is Elba in a European art-film director helmed trainwreck.

I hope I am wrong and we get a true to the source material adaptation a la Game of Thrones.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Because they are fucking the whole thing up, continuing the theme started when they hired Idris Elba.
    concur
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Country
    Country Flag

If I had to guess the character she is playing is not the one with the same name in book 7. So there is one of two things happening...

1. They got her name wrong and she is playing a major female character that we all know which leaves Susan or Susannah and why would the be casting for Wizard and Glass already?
    2. They are fabricating a new character of some kind.

I guess she could also be an Allie replacement and only a leading character in the first film.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 ... LastLast