Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 254 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

John F. Kennedy BlainetheMono is on a distinguished road BlainetheMono's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Gendy Tartakovsky. Are none of you guys fans of Samurai Jack? I think his artwork would look good in depicting the DT series.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

interesting news...
    Which wikipedia article is that from?

Is there any source related?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

John F. Kennedy streetbudz is on a distinguished road streetbudz's Avatar

Like it was said in an earlier post this is really old news. Nothing came out of this. HBO did do a good job with with the Spawn animated series. But this is not going to happen. At least in the form mentioned.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the Dark Tower cycle could work in an animation (not sure about the
    Spoiler:
    author stuff
    though.) I've also seen some Samurai Jack and Clone Wars (the earlier non 3D version) and liked the style, but I don't think it would fit with the DT story. You need a more realistic style for that, I think. Not necessarily 3-D mind, in fact, preferably not.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    You need a more realistic style for that, I think.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Not necessarily 3-D mind, in fact, preferably not.
    Don't agree.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Animation is a medium that has a lot of freedom, and that also would solve a lot of the logistical problems that would arise in adapting the story to film, but it is also a fine line to walk if you want to bring in viewers, which means it would have to be executed brilliantly in order to stay on the air. But I doubt this is the direction things are going to go. As Val mentioned, this is very old news, and JJ Abrams has already obtained the rights. So it really comes down to what he wants to do with it at this point.
    Heng Dai

John F. Kennedy BlainetheMono is on a distinguished road BlainetheMono's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you guys had a choice woiuld you prefer to see a DT adaptation as animation or live action? On the same note, would you rather see a Lord of the Rings style succession of feature films or a The Stand style television mini-series? (assuming it would be on HBO or something for the violence and blood-shed)

John F. Kennedy Sorox the Gunslinger is on a distinguished road Sorox the Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just found this, but it says it was created in march, 2007 so im not getting my hopes up

Spoiler:
    I know J.J. Abrams’ work and Damon Lindelof, who is his collaborator on Lost. Damon is just a total comic-book freak, and he loves the Dark Tower books. I trust those guys, and they have a lot on the ball. When they said they wanted to talk about doing this, I said, ‘You know what? Why don’t you buy the option on this and see what you can come up with.’ They asked, ‘How much do you want for an option?’ I said, ‘$19.’ (A key amount that comes up frequently in the books) And that’s what they paid me, and that’s where it is.”

“I said no to everybody until recently, because I didn’t think much of the chances of it being a good movie,” King told the crowd. “I mean, this is my life’s work, since the time I was 22 years old. It’s very important to me. Usually, with the other [books], I don’t give much of a shit. My attitude is, ‘Go make a movie, and if it’s good, that’s terrific, and if it’s bad, then it will go to the video stores and back shelves of Blockbuster, and I still get royalties on the book.’”

He's talking about the chance of making a dark tower movie.
    The scource is here.
    Im currently working on school, and a very funny youtube video so yeah.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlainetheMono View Post
    If you guys had a choice woiuld you prefer to see a DT adaptation as animation or live action? On the same note, would you rather see a Lord of the Rings style succession of feature films or a The Stand style television mini-series? (assuming it would be on HBO or something for the violence and blood-shed)
    I'm unsure I'd want it adapted to screen, but if it was, I'd certainly prefer the live action, but I'd accept a decent animation.

As for whether it should be a succession of films or a Stand style mini-series....

Kind of torn. The feature films have the budget, and that's no bad thing, particularly where effects are concerned. But I like the idea of tuning in each week for the next episode rather than waiting over a year or two for the next feature to come out.

I actually think decent effects are probably doable for much of the series. There are large swathes of time where very little in way of effects is required at all... but then you get sequences like the
    Spoiler:
    doorway monster and Mordred shape-shifting
    , where a big budget would be handy. Mini series, with a movieish budget? Hee hee.

Have to admit though, Roland strolling across the desert on a panoramic cinema screen would look awesome (to borrow an over-used American term.)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

a DECENT animation? if they put The Dark Tower on any screen, it better be fucking FANTASTIC!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sorox the Gunslinger View Post
    I just found this, but it says it was created in march, 2007 so im not getting my hopes up

Spoiler:
    I know J.J. Abrams’ work and Damon Lindelof, who is his collaborator on Lost. Damon is just a total comic-book freak, and he loves the Dark Tower books. I trust those guys, and they have a lot on the ball. When they said they wanted to talk about doing this, I said, ‘You know what? Why don’t you buy the option on this and see what you can come up with.’ They asked, ‘How much do you want for an option?’ I said, ‘$19.’ (A key amount that comes up frequently in the books) And that’s what they paid me, and that’s where it is.”

“I said no to everybody until recently, because I didn’t think much of the chances of it being a good movie,” King told the crowd. “I mean, this is my life’s work, since the time I was 22 years old. It’s very important to me. Usually, with the other [books], I don’t give much of a shit. My attitude is, ‘Go make a movie, and if it’s good, that’s terrific, and if it’s bad, then it will go to the video stores and back shelves of Blockbuster, and I still get royalties on the book.’”

He's talking about the chance of making a dark tower movie.
    The scource is here.
    The walk-in phenomenon would make some great viral marketing for the last few movies. As for a cartoon, HBO adapted Spawn back in '98 I believe. And it wasn't like the Smurfs. Unless there's an episode of the Smurfs in a vault somewhere filled with gratuitous amounts of blood, dismembered body parts, and demons. I'd very much prefer a big screen adaption over a live action television series just so things like the Doorman and the other entities in the series would have more realistic effects. We just need someone with a Peter Jackson-like love of this series, and it sounds like JJ is the man.

Plus studios love putting out Director's Cuts after the original DVD release. Ans many of King's works seem well-suited to Director's Cuts.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This was posted about the movie recently, kind of interesting.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/02/...he-dark-tower/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think this needs seven feature films. I am almost done with The Wolves of the Calla, and all the preceding action could very well fit into three films. I would prefer a miniseries on HBO.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

There's no way that the 7 movie idea could work out, for all the reasons discussed countless times before.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Lindelof that seven films is the way to go. A television series wouldnt have the budget to do it right. It would look cheesy and the effects would be terrible. And if it did get the budget, it would probably still get canned early, the way that Carnivale did due its huge costs. Like he said in his quote, the key is to make the first film so awesome that it draws people in and makes them want to see six more movies. Harry Potter is going the seven film route, and I am positive that DT can do the same. These are great stories, great volumes. With good writing, directing, and acting I could see The Gunslinger being an Oscar-worthy film. The shit with Jake and Roland--their dynamic--is dramatic movie gold.

The only problem is aging of characters, but even that can be dealt with. You just need creative producers.
    Heng Dai

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Harry Potter got that 7 movie treatment because of the global craze that comes attached to the name, the DT is not as well known as the HP series. The novels were already well known before the movies came out, and that's why they did so good at the box office. Not only that, I don't think that the Gunslinger and DotT have enough content to warrant one movie each.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Aaron.

Personally, I don't see how it could be done adequately in less than six films.

The Gunslinger, Drawing, Waste Lands, W&G and Wolves would all have to be their own individual films. There is simply too much story in each of those to condense them into anything other than five films. Anyone who may disagree, please tell me what specifically you would cut out of any of these to make less films. I don't see what could be cut without doing serious damage to the overall story and/or the character development, and if this thing isn't character-driven, it's not being done correctly. There's a LOT more than action at play in these books.

I could see where S.o.S. wouldn't have to be it's own feature film, but only if you combined it with The Dark Tower as one super long finale, which is not really feasible as it would be about 6 hours long, so we are back to seven films.

As far as the question of "will people go see seven films"? I have two answers... First, if each one is intriguing, people will want to see the next one. Secondly, the general film-going public constantly shells out money to go see endless sequels that never should have even been made in the first place, so why on Earth wouldn't they see the next installment of a REAL story?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I highly doubt any studio or production company would agree to go forward with 7 or 6 films, it's too much of a risk, and heres why : The DT isn't as commercially marketable as the Harry Potter films; the reason that the latter got the seven film treatment is because people of all ages can go to the theatres and enjoy the movies. You can take your kids, your spouse, hell, even your grandparents. The nature of the story lends itself to mass appeal. The DT series, on the other hand, is gritty, dark in tone, violent. What will adults think when they see that trailer of the first movie? Since the first trailer reel needs to be powerful and enticing, they need to show some of the actions scenes, agreed? "Let's take little Alex to see that next week!"... obviously not. What would the rating for a DT movie be? Rated PG-13? Rated R? If the latter, then you already lose a large portion of your audience (People under 18 who want to get into the movie but can't because of adult supervision) , whicih is something that the studios take into consideration before hand. Not to mention that movies based on King novels have a less than favorable reputation. Even though I want there to be seven films (if they make them at all), I just don't it's commercially or artistically possible for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    ...I just don't it's commercially or artistically possible for that to happen.
    I can see where it may not be commercially appealing to a studio from the points you made in your post, which I pretty much agree with.

As for artistically possible, I still don't see why not. I don't see how it's artistically possible to do it as less than seven and still do it acceptably.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only doubt in my mind is the first two films, I still think those two can be squeezed into one movie. You do have a point though, the rest of the novels have too much content to be able to combine with the other novels.

All this discussion makes me want to re read the series.

I think the first one could be long enough to be a short feature film. Remember, with a good enough story and properly-shot action, a film doesn't have to be long to be good. How long was Il Mariachi, something like 81 minutes I believe.

Drawing of the Three I see as being among the easiest to adapt into a full length movie. It's already perfectly laid out in a three-act structure complete with the stuff on the beach as interstitial scenes between each act. If you showed enough Eddie & Henry stuff and enough of when Odetta was Detta surely there is enough for a full-length feature.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Letti i agree with you some what. Movies/Mini series do usually have a way of ruing good books/book series. But i still think it would be interesting. I just hope that they would take the time to make everything perfect, because we all know that Sai Kings movies aren't always the best [and he had said that himself] I think it would be a good mini series since it was so long, but i also could see it being a great movie series. And for the larger books [WaG, WotC, TDT] they could divide into two movies. It would keep the DT magic going a little bit longer I would also love to see a DT Minni series/Movie[s] because as we all know Sai King is known for making camio appearances and I'm curious to see what part he would put himself as.

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

^^

Agreed on TDotT.

I think the hardest one to adapt would be Wizard & Glass. As others have mentioned, if they simply revert back to what happened (i.e Roland's telling of the events) it would slow down the pace of the movie considerably and might even lose/disinterest members of the audience who have yet to read the books...but it can't be shown in flashbacks, as others have suggested, because there is just way too much information and it is such an important part of the overall story to treat it in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I think the hardest one to adapt would be Wizard & Glass. As others have mentioned, if they simply revert back to what happened (i.e Roland's telling of the events) it would slow down the pace of the movie considerably and might even lose/disinterest members of the audience who have yet to read the books...but it can't be shown in flashbacks, as others have suggested, because there is just way too much information and it is such an important part of the overall story to treat it in such a way.
    I think if the so-called "flashback" (which to me is actually the main story of W&G) were handled as the main story it would work just fine. The key is to work the beginning (the end of the Blaine ride) and the end (the Green Palace) in smoothly. If they bracket the main story of Mejis, they are on the right track. If they constantly go back and forth, I agree, they will lose people's interest. The key is telling the Mejis story uninterrupted.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still say the best route to go is an HBO miniseries (although it wouldn't really be very mini). Have you guys seen any of their more recent miniseries, like John Adams or Generation Kill? They're like long long long theatrical feature films. Nothing cheesy about them. I can see The Dark Tower miniseries being about nineteen episodes long, with each episode being about 1:15-1:30 in length. Since it's all shot in advance, there would be none of the cancelling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 254 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast