Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 254 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Ah - so you couldn't come up with one, so you'll just try to change the debate.
    At what point did I agree to come up with one?
    Where am I "changing" the debate?
    I mentioned from the very beginning that my reasoning was selfish.

Do I even care if Elba is the actor? Not especially - but I think it's funny that a skin-deep interpretation of the character is SO important - it's shallow and absurd.
    See post above.

Just because some comic book artists interpreted a character one way does not mean that every other artist in perpetuity must use that same interpretation...that's ridiculous.
    No, not some comic artist. Every. Every single one of them.

Did Alan Alda have the same mannerisms as Donald Sutherland to play the same character in MASH? I don't think so, but it worked out okay, so there are always subtle differences.
    Don't know. Don't care about Mash. We're talking about Dark Tower.

People get wrapped up in something as meaningless as skin color (at least in a role like this one), and then calls anybody who calls them out on the shallowness a "race-baiter." Hilarious.
    Funny. You're the one that keeps going on about race. Every post of yours is a wall of text about race. Strange.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by _PCC_ View Post
    Yeah, I just want to see the books on the screen. Everything matters, every detail. If I give you an example where his skin color "matters" (something that has been discussed here extensively) then I could be attacked for saying it matters. I want to see the Dark Tower not the Dark-skinned Tower in Universe A-Prime, Multiverse B or any other Dark Tower. If they're gonna do it they have to treat the books as the script.
    Save your breath, this guy just doesn't get it.

Gunslinger Apprentice _PCC_ has a spectacular aura about _PCC_ has a spectacular aura about

Would it make you feel any better if I said Odetta should be played by an actress of color? I want the books on the screen, that's all. Everything matters.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yeah, I just want to see the books on the screen. Everything matters, every detail. If I give you an example where his skin color "matters" (something that has been discussed here extensively) then I could be attacked for saying it matters. I want to see the Dark Tower not the Dark-skinned Tower in Universe A-Prime, Multiverse B or any other Dark Tower. If they're gonna do it they have to treat the books as the script.
    Save your breath, this guy just doesn't get it.
    Nice - when you can't actually defend your position, you tell everyone to take their ball and go home.

Not a good look, fireball.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

This was honest at least:

I mentioned from the very beginning that my reasoning was selfish.
    I snipped everything else in your post because it was irrelevant spinning like a top. You couldn't defend your position, so you tried to misdirect and deflect.

Nice try.

As for this:

Funny. You're the one that keeps going on about race. Every post of yours is a wall of text about race. Strange.
    I'm going on about race? I didn't start this - but it's funny how defensive and uncomfortable people get when it comes up, especially when they can't find a way to defend a position. Funny, that's all.

Would it make you feel any better if I said Odetta should be played by an actress of color? I want the books on the screen, that's all. Everything matters.
    Well, she obviously should be - and Eddie should be a white guy - because their color actually matters to the story. Their relationship is informed by their color/race, so it's relevant.

Roland isn't American - he's from GILEAD. He could be green and it would be just as realistic as anything else.

You saying it doesn't make me "feel" anything - I won't be profit sharing in any of these movies or books. I'm just arguing with people whose perception of the world is based on comic book artists and a few words like "white" written in a book 32 years ago - and aren't letting even the IDEA of another direction be worth thinking about.

And I hate to break it to you - the books WON'T be on screen. You know why? Cuz books aren't movies.

If I give you an example where his skin color "matters" (something that has been discussed here extensively) then I could be attacked for saying it matters.
    I missed this - what was it? I'm not going to attack you - and so what if I did? - we're typing on keyboards, does it matter?

So what was it, that was discussed extensively? (but if it was being in the royal line, I'l say you're not showing any imagination about parents and children - obviously there could be a black knight)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It's likely the movie won't even be made and then it's much ado about nothing.
    Yeah I'd be surprised if this gets made any time soon given all the back and forth going on behind the scenes.

I still say that a Netflix series would be the best for something like this because I just can't see something as niche and tonally inconsistent as DT becoming a major film franchise.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's interesting that people care - I think it's funny that people made the skin color the hill they wanted to die on.
    You've been holding that high ground this entire conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa
    You don't WANT it to be about race, but people MADE it about race. If you didn't want it to be about race you would see human beings as human beings and that would be the end of it.
    I can't help what "people" said. I believe I made my position clear. I'm not arguing or defending other people's positions.

I hope that is a generalization and not specifically directed toward me. I'm one of the most egalitarian people on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa
    It's not a strawman argument - it's a real argument. People complained about the mere possibility of a black actor playing a "white" character, and they thought they could have their little circle jerk and people would agree what a terrible choice it was to the "honor" of the story - but everybody doesn't agree and I think getting wrapped up in skin color of a fictional movie character is disgusting.
    I'm not claiming that your main argument is a strawman. Many of your supporting arguments are certainly fallacious. For instance you said that ethnic role reversal wouldn't matter in Lethal Weapon. Of course the role reversal wouldn't matter. It was a movie not a thirty year book series. There is no analogy to The Dark Tower.

See comment about "people" above. I do agree that "getting wrapped up in skin color of a fictional movie character is disgusting." So why don't you stop it?
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

I'll give you another example that shows how shallow skin color really is - the character Magneto in the X-Men is ethnically Jewish, which is a vital aspect of his character biography. He behaves why he does because he was in a Nazi death camp - his Jewish ethnic identity can NOT be separated from his character.

Who played him in the movies? Michael Fassbender - an Irish Catholic - and Ian McKellen an English Protestant. Those are not ethnically the same as German Jews. They aren't the same ethnic background.

Does it matter? Did everybody get up in arms and say "This is outrageous! How can Magneto not be played by a Jewish actor!" Of course not - because they are ACTING. Because I am certain nobody here feels that Michael Fassbender/Ian McKellen were unacceptable actors for a Jewish character - even though that Jewish aspect is a specific, distinct, unique, ethnic background and identity that is vital to the character.

(and certainly in Germany in 1930s-40s, the German authorities obviously drew a distinction between those of Jewish identity and everybody else...so you can say "well, it doesn't matter!" Really? Because in 1943, it really, really did matter)

So - if you can accept those actors playing that role, BUT if skin color is where you draw the line, basically what you're saying is "my perception is so shallow that I can't suspend disbelief if I'm looking at dark skin vs. light skin. My brain is so simple and one-dimensional that I can't imagine that version of the world."

(like was said before, if you view Roland as more slightly built, and someone like Elba as a big guy - then yeah, that's totally valid...that's a matter of opinion and personal choice for the tone/personality of the character...but if it's a matter of ONLY skin color that's purely shallow. Because in the universe of Gilead the character COULD have dark skin, could have light skin, could have brown skin, could have yellow skin, or whatever. And just to repeat myself, I don't care if Elba's cast...I just don't want Russell Crowe/Hugh Jackman because they're sooooo boring.)

Put another way, just to defend the idea of different creative choices more than Idris Elba or anybody else - you can want everything spoon-fed to you exactly like it appeared in a book written in 1982, inspired by a movie from 1965, inspired by a poem from 1840 - if that's what you want, then you can certainly get your fix of comfortable nostalgia, like hearing your favorite song for the 1000th time - but it's living in somebody else's past, not our own present. You already read the books, you already have your memories, and your memories are the past - by hanging onto that, you are not opening your mind and imagination up to something new, that you didn't even know you wanted, until you see it for the first time and think "THIS is something exciting."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying they hope Roland has the horn with him at the beginning of the movie and that it's the next iteration. To me, that's a more significant change than anything else, because i means anything at all could happen. Anything.
    Hopefully not the Under The Dome kind of anything could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    See comment about "people" above. I do agree that "getting wrapped up in skin color of a fictional movie character is disgusting." So why don't you stop it?
    Why doesn't everybody stop everything? Why ever bring it up? Why ever be confronted? Why ever think about anything? Why ever face anything challenging about ourselves?

Because people thought they could say things that they didn't think through and thought everybody would agree with them. Nope. I'm posting on-topic, it's a relevant subject, people keep responding with often weak attempts at a lot of misdirection. So no, I'm not going to stop.

I'm not claiming that your main argument is a strawman. Many of your supporting arguments are certainly fallacious. For instance you said that ethnic role reversal wouldn't matter in Lethal Weapon. Of course the role reversal wouldn't matter. It was a movie not a thirty year book series. There is no analogy to The Dark Tower.
    It was four movies spaced over 11 years that grossed $955 million dollars, so actually it's a great analogy.

But the point (which you missed or ignored) is that the race of the character is not vital to the characters themselves (now, could Danny Glover have effectively played the Mel Gibson character as written? I doubt it, because Glover the actor doesn't bring Gibson's crazy edge - but maybe Samuel Jackson paired with Bruce Willis could have worked). In Roland's case, why does it matter if he's light or dark-skinned? Why? Give me a reason that is SOMETHING, ANYTHING more insightful than "cuz King wrote that in 1982."

And - just saying "your supporting arguments are certainly fallacious" does not impress me - you want to debate it, debate it, otherwise you're just spinning and misdirecting. If you want to offer a different perspective than me, fine, but you can tell from my posts that I'm putting thought into this (though I'm being very strident), and I'm not going to respect anybody who thinks they can toss off a few poorly considered opinions and think they've proven some sort of case.

Country
    Country Flag

Why doesn't everybody stop everything? Why ever bring it up? Why ever be confronted? Why ever think about anything? Why ever face anything challenging about ourselves?

Because people thought they could say things that they didn't think through and thought everybody would agree with them.

It was four movies spaced over 11 years that grossed $955 million dollars, so actually it's a great analogy.

And - just saying "your supporting arguments are certainly fallacious" does not impress me - you want to debate it, debate it, otherwise you're just spinning and misdirecting.
    There was no literature to compare it to. Nobody would ever know if the roles were reversed. Unless you are advocating a role reversal for the next movie?

There was no literature to compare it to. Nobody would ever know if the roles were reversed. Unless you are advocating a role reversal for the next movie?
    That's very true - and obviously if in Lethal Weapon III they had switched the roles, it would not have worked. But I would argue that movies have it tougher because we've "SEEN" the characters, in a way we've never "SEEN" Roland. Yeah - comic books - but that's still just an artist's intepretation. Really, it's ALL an artist's interpretation.

And no - if Lethal Weapon 5 ever happened, then they aren't switching the roles...those are established characters in a specific cinematic universe. Roland currently exists in a literary universe - but film is now a different medium.

But my MAIN point was Lethal Weapon was an example where the race of the characters wasn't vital to the storyline. So when they made Perry White from Superman played by Lawrence Fishburne, people barely noticed.

And to take the opposing view - there was talk of having a black actor playing the new SpiderMan...I was intrigued, but kind of not a fan because Peter Parker/Spiderman is such an iconic character over 50 years of history, and his specific archetype has been established, and changing his racial identity did seem 'change for change's sake'...so it's not like I don't see the other side of this argument. I'm NOT arguing change for change's sake...I'm not even arguing that I want Elba cast - I'm arguing for opening ourselves up to the possibility.

And to take that Spiderman example another step - an 18-year-old kid TODAY in 2016, has no idea about Spiderman comics in 1963...so WHY should Peter Parker be stuck in the past? In an entirely different time of 1963, of course we had all white heroes - but 2016 is NOT that time...so if you think of the NEXT 50 years, why shouldn't Spiderman be a black character? Why not? Why does OUR "old man" perception and nostaligia trump everything else? This isn't our time anymore - it's time for a new generation to have their own heroes.

But you saw my example about Magneto above - what do you say to that? Why is skin color a dividing line, when it's simply another version of ethnic identity?

Country
    Country Flag

But you saw my example about Magneto above - what do you say to that? Why is skin color a dividing line, when it's simply another version of ethnic identity?
    I'm not invested in the X-Men franchise in any way, so I can only go by what you wrote.

Race and ethnicity are not the same thing. I can convert to Judaism. I can't change my race.

It is far easier to believe that a Brit is a German Jew than a non-white person playing a German Jew. There is less of a physical difference to overcome with imagination. Race has more obvious differences than most ethnicities. Of course some ethnicities are very distinct,

Society has taught "us" to view things superficially and racially our whole lives. It isn't a puzzle to me when people do so.

I'm not invested in the X-Men franchise in any way, so I can only go by what you wrote.

Race and ethnicity are not the same thing. I can convert to Judaism. I can't change my race.

It is far easier to believe that a Brit is a German Jew than a non-white person playing a German Jew. There is less of a physical difference to overcome with imagination. Race has more obvious differences than most ethnicities. Of course some ethnicities are very distinct,

Society has taught "us" to view things superficially and racially our whole lives. It isn't a puzzle to me when people do so.
    You cannot convert to the ethnic background of Jewish people. I'm not talking about the religion - I'm talking about the actual ethnic background of that branch of humanity.

Ethnic Germans looked different than many ethnic Jews, especially in Poland and the Ukraine, where the worst atrocities occured - that's biology, not religion.

Are you arguing that Israelis, Ukranians, Poles, Russians, Prussians, Slovakians, Albanians, Assyrians, Syrians, Palestinians and Greeks and Italians are all equally 'white?" Because I bet I could find 100 pictures that would quickly show the different appearances and skin colors across the spectrum.

It's not about "belief," it's about accepting an intepretation of a character - Michael Fassbender - an ethnic Irish Catholic - INTERPRETED the story of a Jewish death camp survivor in a way that no audience would argue failed because of that difference...you could say Fassbender did or didn't do a good job as an actor, but that's another debate.

So again, you're saying that people (not you, maybe) can't get past the shade of skin color of a character and so it shouldn't even be gambled. An audience simply "can't believe" that Roland can be black? So THAT audience is who a movie should be made for? The rubes and unimaginative people?

Moreover - are you saying that Roland MUST equal a "white, European" character? Why? Are you saying he could be played by a Greek, Italian, Pole, Russian, German, Irishman, Brit, Frenchman, Spaniard (because I don't remember people complaining about Javier Bardem's ethnicity), Dutch....but NOT anybody of African descent with too dark a shade of skin color? Because all we're talking about it is different shades of the same human organ - skin.

Because Gilead is - as we know - not real. So regardless of what historical mythology inspired it, WHY does an actor of white, European descent have to play him? Other than our wish for our nostalgic memories of a book from our youth, WHY?

Yes - if Idris Elba played Roland it is a DIFFERENT interpretation of the character, and no, it's not the "same" character we all grew up reading - but the actions, words, decisions, and fate of the character can be more or less the same in a movie. Nothing in the narrative demands a "white" Roland anymore than the X-Men narrative demanded a "Jewish" actor playing Magneto. It's all about the story - not skin color of a character or ethnic background of an actor. It doesn't matter about what you can/can't "believe." The STORY won't need to change because Roland is dark-skinned. (if they decide to then make Roland come out of the Detroit ghetto and amped up his "blackness" - well, then yeah, they DID change the story and that would be stupid).

If Martin Lawrence played Roland, I think we'd all be horrified. If Daniel Radcliffe played Roland, we'd also be horrified. If Chris Hemsworth played him, I'd be pretty meh, but somebody else might like him. If you don't think Elba has the personality or tone to play Roland, that's totally legitimate. But, if first and foremost, someone is all wrapped up in something as shallow as skin color when it has no other impact on the story other than a few lines of description, I don't think they are a very good audience for fantasy movies or literature.

People love to say "I don't see color! I'm not racist!" (and I'm not saying that's true of anybody here - we all know are own hearts) But it's pretty funny whenever skin color comes up, it's like the first, last and only thing people see, and boy do they not want to talk about it!

You are very right about how society has "taught us." Society "taught" people in 1920 that blacks and whites couldn't use the same drinking fountain. I'd like to think we've outgrown that sort of "education." But in many ways we haven't, have we? Why are you willing to settle?

I also notice that you cherry-picked a very narrow aspect of all my arguments.

Country
    Country Flag

We are most definitely not living in a post-racial society.

I am a realist. If you want to call that settling it doesn't bother me.

Tomorrow I will still be a realist and you will still be tilting at windmills.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread has become extremely boring. Idris, is a fine actor, but black or white he is not, Roland as I perceive him. Too much muscle, not enough lank. I do see him as, Eddie though, adjusting for more modern times I suppose. I'll move along, Rahfa has successfully "co-opted" the thread. IMHO

As was previously mentioned, it probably will never get made in any case.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

That's so pathetically cynical you should be ashamed you wrote it. Or embarrassed. Or something.

But if you're that cynical, then clearly you don't feel a thing. Sad.

Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    This thread has become extremely boring. Idris, is a fine actor, but black or white he is not, Roland as I perceive him. Too much muscle, not enough lank. I do see him as, Eddie though, adjusting for more modern times I suppose. I'll move along, Rahfa has successfully "co-opted" the thread. IMHO

I didn't "co-opt" anything - people posted, I responded with plenty of things to talk about and people ran and hid and clucked behind curtains.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

"...hid and clucked behind curtains."

What the hell does that mean?
    Its an interesing visual to contemplate...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't "co-opt" anything - people posted, I responded with plenty of things to talk about and people ran and hid and clucked behind curtains.
    So now my opinion does not count? Apparently, you are the only one who has an opinion and therefore authority over the discussion. Can't we just move on to other topics or, are you not done as yet? Just out of curiousity is all. I think we all know what your thoughts are and they are registered and valid. Now, where do we go from here?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

That's so pathetically cynical you should be ashamed you wrote it. Or embarrassed. Or something.

But if you're that cynical, then clearly you don't feel a thing. Sad.

Happy New Year.
    There is a distinct difference between realistic and cynical. At least for those of us capable of rational discernment.

You seem to take puerile pleasure in the fact that others have discontinued their conversations with you on this subject.

Perhaps this conversation would have been more rewarding to us all if you spent more time listening to what others actually said and less time projecting your biases and judgments onto them

Happy New Year and Happy Tilting.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This thread has become extremely boring. Idris, is a fine actor, but black or white he is not, Roland as I perceive him. Too much muscle, not enough lank.
    I can get behind this. If it's going to be a black Roland then even Jamie Foxx would be a better pick. I think Django had some very Roland moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    This thread has become extremely boring. Idris, is a fine actor, but black or white he is not, Roland as I perceive him. Too much muscle, not enough lank.
    I can get behind this. If it's going to be a black Roland then even Jamie Foxx would be a better pick. I think Django had some very Roland moments.
    Haha - that would be amazing. I'd have to re-read the books to see if that worked for me - but based on Django, he could play the type.

Like I've said, I could care less about Elba - he's not the point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 254 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 ... LastLast