Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 254 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oddly enough, i'm now imagining Blaine in one of his insane moods doing a bad imitation of Scotty and saying "I'm giving her all she's got, Cap'n!"

I know, I know: I have a very random mind.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The voice of Nigel the Robot?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One thing's for sure: I can't really imagine Pegg getting the role of Walter.

"You will fail in your quest, gunslinger. The tower will fall, and the Crimson King shall rule. Of this much, I am sure. As sure as night follows day, sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd numbered Star Trek movie is shit."
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    since its going to be put together by abrams, do any of u guys think it might be possible that he would use some of the fantastic actors from Lost?
    I think that Josh Holloway would make an excellent Roland, especially if it takes a couple of years to get started on this project.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    since its going to be put together by abrams, do any of u guys think it might be possible that he would use some of the fantastic actors from Lost?
    I think that Josh Holloway would make an excellent Roland, especially if it takes a couple of years to get started on this project.
    i could not disagree more.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem, I could not disagree with your disagreeing more.
    haha
    Sloth Love Chunk

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE
    Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i could not disagree more.
    I agree with sj's disagreement. He looks too young and pretty to play Roland. I know they can ugly him up with make up and effects but I just don't see him as Roland. I can't comment on his acting skills. I don't watch Lost and have never seen him in anything.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

To me, Josh Holloway is too much of a pretty-boy to be Roland. He looks like he's been lying on a beach, not trudging across a desert.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Traveler dj_taboo is on a distinguished road

i can't wait for a Dark Tower movie series. A TV series would be nice if it was like HBO or something. A network series would probably be too watered down.

Traveler Aleister Crowley is on a distinguished road Aleister Crowley's Avatar

networks kill King's madness. the coke addicted crazed characters. all lost . . . . even some movies like the Shining lacked the coke. it was part of King's life and part of his books, you cant leave it out man!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Right now i'm wondering about only one thing...if the Dark Tower was a movie series, then what role would be ideal for Simon Pegg?

Can't think of one myself, but considering he's been in two films that Abrams has been involved in, it's not really that much of a stretch for us Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz fans to want to see him in one of the coolest stories ever!
    grrrrr..... better bloody not be in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Blaine the Mono with a Scottish accent?
    dont even joke, he ruined scotty for me

no more of this jesting.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

Damon Lindelof Compares Challenge of Adapting ‘Dark Tower’ To Zack Snyder’s ‘Watchmen’

As “Star Trek” makes its case for the new J.J. Abrams age of the franchise this weekend, he and fellow “Lost” creator Damon Lindelof continue to have early discussions about Stephen King’s cult series of books “The Dark Tower.” Lindelof confirmed Abrams’ assertion that “Lost” is priority number one at the moments, but said the project would require at least as much care as Zack Snyder’s adaptation of “Watchmen.”

“Having seen Zack go through what he went through on ‘Watchmen’ in terms of saying of where can I digress from the material I just get headaches thinking about changing anything,” Lindelof told MTV News. “It was the defining literary tale of my young adulthood into adulthood.”

Lindelof is keenly aware of how that level of attachment can affect his approach to the project. “My reverence for Stephen King is now getting in the way of what any good writer would do first when they’re adapting a book, which is take creative license in changing stuff,” he explained.

If the Hollywood power duo indeed moves on to King’s fantasy/Western tale when they finish with “Lost” it may be an extended commitment in addition to being a demanding one, given the scope of the seven-book series.

“Paramount is certainly looking at it as a franchise movie and thinking about sequels but we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Lindelof said. “Ideas have been thrown around that are very informal at this point.”

And more formal conversations very well may not be in the cards until the fates of Oceanic Flight 815’s passengers are firmly on the ground for the the “Lost” finale.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Paramount is certainly looking at it as a franchise movie and thinking about sequels
    Wow, that's a pretty bold statement right there. They obviously can't start anything before Lost is in the can, but it seems like everyone is ready to jump in as soon as they can.

John F. Kennedy idoless is on a distinguished road idoless's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default New DT movie info from ign.com

http://movies.ign.com/articles/982/982305p1.html

I am absolutely TERRIFIED about this..but extremely excited at the same time!

I mean they both seem really into it..and I'm glad the comparison to the Watchmen movie was made. Watchmen has a HUGE following and they did amazing with that movie..so if they give the Dark Tower the same respect they gave Watchmen..I suppose thats a step in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Idoless - thanks for posting this. I'm going to merge this into the General DT movie thread which includes the rest of the updates.

John F. Kennedy idoless is on a distinguished road idoless's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh! Im sorry, I didn't realize there was a movie thread ::smacks forehead::! Sorry for taking up space lol.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem at all, that's what we have staff for.

Some great information there, and I agree with you, it bodes well that they are taking it so seriously.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Question to our fearless mods: is it really correct to have this thread here, with general movie discussions, instead of in the Oracle where all the King news is? I mean this is pretty big fucking news we're discussing here...

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Question to our fearless mods: is it really correct to have this thread here, with general movie discussions, instead of in the Oracle where all the King news is? I mean this is pretty big fucking news we're discussing here...
    Just my opinion, but it's not really "news" yet. The article just says Abrams is giving more thought to how he's going to make it. There's no actual news on exactly when or how many films or anything else. It amounts to "Abrams Thinks Out Loud About DT Movie." Not saying that isn't exciting in and of itself to people who want to see a DT movie, but I don't think it's news until there is new information. That said, the Oracle isn't my area, so maybe they have different ideas.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I'd say that's pretty much the case, Jayson. When and if (god, I hope not) this thing ever gets off the ground then it would be moved. I'd say not before production begins though, personally.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I did get a kick out of the fact that the first thing he wants to mention is how he's thinking of the changes he's going to make. I see where his priorities are.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    When I was reading the books I all ways pictured Roland looking like Josh Holloway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshh4490 View Post
    I'd really imagine the first movie, if it turns out to be "movies" will have to be, either Wizard and Glass focused,,, mostly the Roland's youth part...

or something with jericho hill...

let's face it,, if it's gonna be a series of movies.. it can't all be the gunslinger...
    because it's so little action, and i think to really make mainstream audiences, understand some things in the right order,, I would start the movies With the Ball, being found outside the Wizard of Oz place, with 4 sets of hands on it.. a black set, a small set, a white set, and a set missing some fingers...

and instead flash back to mejis, at which point you can have Will Dearborn tell Susan about his trial with cort,, then you get to show that...then you have the big battle there,, bing bang boom ,, right to the point roland gets punched by alain to break him away from the ball, it fades like roland's knocked out.. then goes straight to The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed, end first movie...

Speaking as a Movie, I'd completely re imagine the lay of events as pertaining to how they unfold to a movie audience... I think the meji story is probably the most endearing to mainstream , it'll be part tragic love story, mixed with a braveheart like battle and loss... i think if you introduce to much metaphysical to early you'll lose some... think the matrix series backwards
    For people that never read the series that would make a lot of sense to make the series like that. But I don't think that hardcore DT fans would like if they started out with the fourth book in the series.
    Last edited by lux interior; 05-18-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: sj said so

Country
    Country Flag

What if Wizard and Glass was omitted altogether? Bear with me. I realize the book has its many fans, but it's also one of the more divisive books, I think. Some feel it to be one of the best in the series, while others tend to imagine it never existed. Maybe the entire story could be told in a trilogy (it would take three 3-hour films, very likely), and then, if successful enough, release W&G separately. Sort of taking a cue from the way Lord of the Rings was done, with a trilogy and then the prequel (The Hobbit).

It's just that I doubt, if filmed as written, the moviegoing public would really enjoy a feature-length flashback in the middle of the story just as the quest is getting good. I say save it for last.

Traveler Joshh4490 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    What if Wizard and Glass was omitted altogether? Bear with me. I realize the book has its many fans, but it's also one of the more divisive books, I think. Some feel it to be one of the best in the series, while others tend to imagine it never existed. Maybe the entire story could be told in a trilogy (it would take three 3-hour films, very likely), and then, if successful enough, release W&G separately. Sort of taking a cue from the way Lord of the Rings was done, with a trilogy and then the prequel (The Hobbit).

It's just that I doubt, if filmed as written, the moviegoing public would really enjoy a feature-length flashback in the middle of the story just as the quest is getting good. I say save it for last.
    Fair point. and your probably right...i don't really know the best way to go about it but to me personally it was the most powerful part of the series..so i feel it would be almost an injustice to leave it out .

Perhaps the best way to start it, the movie that is truly would be the way it was written. I try to envision what it's like for me with other movies that i haven't read a book for..

One other idea i had was to have the movie start in with the part where jake and eddie see eachother in the real world that time ,, what was it, at the basketball court? have jake get killed,, then go to roland, wake up just before from that night mare , or something...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

Given the Marvel series' popularity, it might make very good sense to start with Roland as a young man and to chronicle the events of W&G + Marvel as a launching point. In fact, if anyone were to ask me for advice, that's what I'd suggest. The Gunslinger isn't material for the first movie in a series, in my opinion. It's too spare and uneventful. However, if you started with Gilead/Jericho Hill for the first film and then jumped up to The Gunslinger plus all or part of The Drawing of the Three as the second, that might work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 254 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast