Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 254 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

John F. Kennedy Quicksilver is on a distinguished road Quicksilver's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dang, man, this thread's still going, and me completely out of tomatoes!
    And yet you keep coming back.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

After much debate over who should play Roland, with many decent suggestions made, mulled over, and ultimately shot down, I have finally made an executive decision on the matter. I have determined who should play Roland, and there should be no further discussion.

Spoiler:
    Sloth Love Chunk

John F. Kennedy C~Dog is on a distinguished road C~Dog's Avatar

Yes! Yes! Oh god, a billion times yes!!!

Chuck Norris, holy shit, make it happen!
    All hail the King;
    He of the Crimson Eye,
    The Lord of Spiders.
    Hail Discordia.

Gunslinger Apprentice klio is on a distinguished road klio's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

lol

A'Zaria

I don't know... they might do well to go with a computer generated movie. I don't know of too many actor that can capture the essence of his characters. Or even ... I know... I know... It may sound cheesy... but an Avatar-esk movie might be good. I have been waiting and waiting for this .... and now I think I will be afraid to see what they come up with. I hope the writers and directors are as much a fan of this series as we are and not someone that just heard of the books and that haven't read and fell in love with the characters like we have. All I know is they better not mess this up... there will be a lot of very angry SK fans! We have been waiting for this one for a VERY long time! I ... for one... am cautiously optimistic! Good luck SK!!
    Last edited by A'Zaria; 05-23-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typos suck and I left something out

A'Zaria

Clint Eastwood can play Callahan...

[/quote]

Clint needs to play Cort[/QUOTE]

I can see him as Cort. Either Eastwood or Brendan Gleeson, the actor that played Mad Eye Moody in the Harry Potter series. I know some of you might not be fans of Potter... but his character is close to what I pictured Cort to look and act like and I think he could play the part well.

Brendan Gleeson in Troy

Brendan Gleeson in Harry Potter

Brendan Gleeson in Harry Potter

Brendan Gleeson

BTW.... James Cromwell played the TV version of Father Callahan in Salem's lot, maybe he should reprise the role?! The original actor James Gallery,that played the character in the movie version, died in Feb 2001. (no pics)

James Cromwell in Salem's Lot (TV)

Another, great actor that could play the part of Eddie is NATHAN FILLION of Firefly/Serenity, Buffy, and Castle fame.

NATHAN FILLION

NATHAN FILLION in Firefly:Serenity

I would say Viggo Mortensen as Roland... But there is something about the eyes that turn me off... they aren't pained enough! Clint has the eyes but he is way too old for the part!

Viggo Mortensen in The Lord of the Rings

Viggo Mortensen
    Last edited by A'Zaria; 05-23-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: edited and added pics and rearranged some things.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If a movie must be done they should get that guy who owns Bettsbooks to play Callahan.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. That guy would probably make a good one...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by The Walking Dude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Walking Dude.......while The Stand is my favorite SK story I was somewhat dissappointed in the way they adapted it for the big screen.
    If they made a DT movie with real actors and live movie special effects they would have to chop the crap out if it too.
    If any outfit could pull it off it would be Dreamworks and Spielberg.
    I agree that due to the lenght and all the characters in the complete series making a movie or movies that do it justice would be well nigh impossible.
    We can but dream.
    Haha ok I see your point, that series was a disappointment to the book and it's fans... I only said what I said because if/when they make the DT film I would love it to be an occasion, something to be proud of, mainly because I have bored my friends to death about this series and if all they were to see is a poor film it would be sad all round eh?!

Still as for the Dreamworks and Spielberg combo it's a good idea, were anyone able to pull it off it could be them however, personally to make it an occasion I would like to see it done as whole as humanly possible.

So I'm looking forward to the impossible made possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by fivethirtytwo View Post
    The problem is that people like us (i.e. fans) burden any prospective DT project with so many expectations (mostly - of accuracy), that it's bound to disappoint us and also limit the film makers.

A distinctive & unique interpretation of the Dark Tower would jettison the baggage and allow the project to be judged on it's own merits and not against the books. Also, as a Dark Tower fan, the prospect of a fresh mid-world story is an exciting one for me.

An actor like Denzel would be able to get the fundamentals of Roland's character right, while still giving us a new interpretation of him. In my humble opinion, Roland having blue eyes is not a fundamental characteristic. Roland being a badass, however, is.

Not to ramble on, but once more I'm compelled to use the Bourne films as an analogy. When they announced that Matt Damon, an actor in his late 20's (at the time), would play Bourne, most die-hard fans were mortified. Jason Bourne was in his late 30's at the time of the first novel with the added back story of his time in Vietnam. But this fact is precisely what made him a slightly different Bourne. I could now keep my love for the character in the books alive and at the same time enjoy this new character portrayed in the film. In this way the movie didn't spoil the books for me.

You guys are a tough crowd, hear me, I beg.
    It's an interesting idea as thats what they have done with the graphic novels to see something new and different would be great and i also guess that's what King is trying to do with the proposed book. However, to have spent all that time reading the series to then not have it on the big screen would be a great shame to us fans.

As for Denzel for me it wouldn't be my first choice! I see what you mean by him being able to put over the badass in Roland but I just don't see it... It's a good point that anyone could surprise us I just wonder who could really pull it off?

The best list for a cast I've seen is this... Most of you have probably seen this and I know some of these aren't exactly the best choice however it's the best start I've seen.

Spoiler:
    Just in case anyone's having trouble reading the small font, the cast list is...

Javier Bardem............Roland Deschain
    Nathan Gamble............Jake Chambers
    Norman Reedus............Eddie Dean
    Zoe Saldana..............Susannah Dean
    James Cromwell...........Pere Callahan
    Bill Moseley.............Randall Flagg
    Anthony Hopkins..........Ted Brautidan
    Adrien Brody.............Sheemie Ruiz
    Simon Woods..............Dinky Earnshaw
    Thomas Dekker............Mordred Deschain
    Tom Wilkinson............Enrico Balazar
    Benicio Del Toro.........Jack Andolini
    Donald Sutherland........Eldred Jonas
    Jack Coleman.............Roy Depape
    Tom Hollander............Clay Reynolds
    Anjelica Huston..........Rhea of the Coos
    Meaghan Jette Martin.....Susan Delgado
    Santiago Cabrera.........Patrick Danville
    Alan Blumenfeld..........Calvin Tower
    Bill Nighy...............Aaron Deepneau
    Monica Bellucci..........Mia
    Logan Lerman.............Roland (Age 14)
    Dylan Patton.............Cuthbert Allgood
    Spencer Breslin..........Alain Johns
    DJ Qualls................Sheemie (Young)
    Paul Levesque............Tick-Tock Man
    Andy Serkis..............Gasher
    Philip Seymour Hoffman...Jack Mort
    Stephen Dorff............Henry Dean
    David Warner.............Mayor Hart Thorin
    Helena Bonham Carter.....Coral Thorin
    Joel Grey................Joe Collins
    Peter MacNicol...........Dandelo
    Craig Parker.............Richard Patrick Sayre
    Kathy Bates..............Sylvia Pittson
    Richard Roundtree........Moses Carver
    Clint Eastwood...........Steven Deschain
    Helen Mirren.............Gabrielle Deschain
    Brain Cox................The Crimson King
    Stephen King.............Himself

I know that J.J. Abrams said that he wasn't going to do it but it's still a fairly great line-up!! I just wonder whether I'm wishing the impossible again?!
    Whoever came up with that deserves an award because that cast is unbelievable, it's nearly perfect. And I'd watch that no fewer than 3 times. In theaters.

I never do that. Ever.
    Last edited by BillyxRansom; 05-24-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: just had to, can't explain it

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dunno about Stephen King playing himself...

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I dunno about Stephen King playing himself...
    He could possibly play himself in 1999 (though he'd probably need a stunt double for when he gets hit by the minivan--that or some special effect), but in 1977 would be harder....

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yea thats a damn good list...cool

they could find somebody for KING
    i have never seen his son do they look the same?....just maybe he could do it

just googled ...his son joe could pass

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by A'Zaria View Post
    I don't know... they might do well to go with a computer generated movie. I don't know of too many actor that can capture the essence of his characters. Or even ... I know... I know... It may sound cheesy... but an Avatar-esk movie might be good. ...
    Yeah, to me, it does kinda. You think that the essence of the TDT characters could be better captured by CGI than by human actors? I rather feel that the essence of it is closer to old fashion drama...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Dang, man, this thread's still going, and me completely out of tomatoes!
    And yet you keep coming back.
    Well, sure. What you think, I'm gonna turn my back while Jeremy is stealing my jokes?

I mean, I am interested in the subject of a TDT film, but it's hard enough to try to keep straight all of these:
    The Dark Tower film....ALIVE!
    A Dark Tower movie- *Abrams and Lindelof give an update*
    Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptation?
    Don't understand the debate: should there be a movie or no?
    DT Casting Chat - who would you cast / who would YOU be in the movie?
    Cast the WORST DT Movie Of All Time...
    How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

Oh, and look, lol...
    Movie!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

CGI, IMO would ruin the slim chance of there being a good movie.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Joe Hill, yes. Owen, not so much.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I guess the joke was good enough to be independently generated two times.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Right, a likely story.
    Spoiler:

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

daniel day lewis. that guy can fucking have the role of a cardboard box and be oscar worthy
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Traveler omgzzwtf is on a distinguished road

Default New old news!

You all probably are already well aware of this...but I can't over it, I'm so excited. Check out this link and tell me what you think about it!

http://www.filmofilia.com/2010/05/02...ie-adaptation/

Frankly, I don't know how they are going to do it... The series is so large, and not even one 2-hour movie per book could do it proper justice, but still, I'm pretty psyched!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I fear for this movie in the hands of Avika Goldsman. I can only hope for the best.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower Gets Massive Movie and TV Adaptation
    The Stephen King story gets an unprecedented treatment.
    September 8, 2010
    by Eric Goldman

The Dark Tower is a huge and epic series of books – so perhaps it's appropriate that it is getting a huge and epic adaptation.

Deadline is reporting that Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed the deal to adapt the famous Stephen King series – as both a movie trilogy and a TV series, which will be developed and produced together.

As reported back in April, the team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code -- Ron Howard, Akiva Goldsman and Brian Grazer -- are behind the adaptation, but it is only now being 100% confirmed that the rumored TV series is part of the deal.

The feature films will begin first, with the first TV season being used to bridge the first and second movies. Deadline notes this means that the cast of the film trilogy – including a yet to be cast big name star as the main character, Roland Deschain – will be committing to appear in the TV series as well, which is, obviously, a very unusual scenario. After the second film is released, the second season of the TV series would then focus on the younger Deschain, before the third and final film picks up with the older Deschain and finishes his story. The storylines will also be influenced the Dark Tower prequel comic book series that King helped plot.

As Deadline notes, the same sets, cast and crew could be used for the films and TV series, which will help contain costs – though this is obviously going to be a very expensive undertaking.

Goldsman has committed to writing the film and the first season of the TV series. Goldsman has recently been working in TV on Fringe, where he has been a consulting producer and written and directed several episodes. Deadline says Howard will direct the first Dark Tower film and also the first season of the series – it's unclear if that means he will direct every single episode (a rare feat in TV, especially dramas) or direct the majority of episodes.

Howard spoke to Deadline and when asked to compare what he's hoping to accomplish with Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings series, said, "What Peter did was a feat, cinematic history. The approach we're taking also stands on its own, but it's driven by the material. I love both, and like what's going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there's the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you'd deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We've put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It's fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker."

No schedule has been announced yet for The Dark Tower but based on the plan the producers have, it seems likely it will be released over three consecutive summers, with the TV series seasons airing in-between.

Also not made 100% clear is the network the TV show will air on. NBC Universal Television Entertainment is producing, but besides the NBC network, they also have USA and Syfy as sister companies.

Source.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy shit.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Traveler QuixoteUgly is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

http://tv.ign.com/articles/111/1119037p1.html

"Deadline is reporting that Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed the deal to adapt the famous Stephen King series – as both a movie trilogy and a TV series, which will be developed and produced together."

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ditto, Tempus. Ditto.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 254 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast