Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 244 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Hybrid View

Traveler Jake Chambers is on a distinguished road Jake Chambers's Avatar

Default The Dark Tower Movie Thread

I got this from IGN. I figured you peeps would be interested...

IGN has exclusively learned that J.J. Abrams is poised to direct The Dark Tower, based on the Stephen King literary series. Abrams' production company Bad Robot had "no comment" on the matter.

Sources advised us that an official announcement is forthcoming. We have been unable to determine whether Dark Tower will be a film project or a TV miniseries, although the latter is a more likely prospect given the complex nature of King's seven-book series. Given Abrams' success on the small screen -- and King's well known love for the Abrams-produced TV series Lost -- the tube seems a better fit for The Dark Tower. That said, IGN now has reason to believe the project will be for the big-screen.

Sources also added that Abrams is indeed only producing Star Trek XI. It was recently reported that Abrams would not direct Trek XI, as many had assumed, but would instead turn his attention to a secret Paramount project titled Cloverfield. Might Cloverfield be a codename for The Dark Tower? Or a completely separate project?
    Last edited by Jake Chambers; 07-08-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Making it clearer
    "Go then there are other worlds than these..."

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah its another pipeline idea - it could be something we could see in 2 years or in 5 or 10, depending on what other projects are in the works. But its encouraging to know that an established director of a show like Lost is keen to tackle it, I can't wait for an official announcement though!
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    I can't wait for an official announcement though!

[Sorry Josh, I couldn't help it ]

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site Jake Chambers and thanks for the info
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Nando:

Thats me not smiling. Ever. Good one.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

shut up bitch, you know that shit was funny.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Just thinking about a Dark Tower movie has me engorged. I'm gonna pass out from lack of blood to the brain!!!

I just hope that if and when the movie is done, it isn't some piece of shit.
    Hope it is given the production it deserves much like Lord Of The Rings!!

FYI.....Compared to Roland, Frodo ain't sh*t!!

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

The thought of a DT movie/miniseries thrills me and terrifies me at the same time.

Such potential to be done badly....
    lol
    I lurk, therefore I am.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The idea that they will really do a movie frightens me. I'm so scared they'll fuck it up and I'll be heart broken. Plus, they will never be able to get Jake right as they can't make 7 movies fast enough before the actor gets too old. I fear many jakes with the same Roland, Susannah, and Eddie will freak me out too much. I'm in a panic just typing this post.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Along the Path of the Beam Aki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    The idea that they will really do a movie frightens me. I'm so scared they'll fuck it up and I'll be heart broken. Plus, they will never be able to get Jake right as they can't make 7 movies fast enough before the actor gets too old. I fear many jakes with the same Roland, Susannah, and Eddie will freak me out too much. I'm in a panic just typing this post.
    I'm two years late for this post but I don't care.

I think they could make five or six films (for example the first book doesn't need to have its own film, it can be drawn together with the second), shoot them in a period of one or two years - two more likely - and then release them over maybe three years. Then Jake wouldn't get too old in the process. Plus if they hurry, Clint Eastwood can play Callahan...

I would really like to see a film series, but not a miniseries, simply because miniseries has a lower budget, and the whole series performed in less than five hours? Don't think so. Five two-hour films, minimum, and in the same damn budget as Lord of the Rings.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=Aki;438874]

Clint Eastwood can play Callahan...
    Clint needs to play Cort
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Along the Path of the Beam Aki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

[quote=flaggwalkstheline;438890]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aki View Post

Clint needs to play Cort
    At least I think that's more possible; having him do more of a cameo (as Cort) rather than a fulltime character in two of the parts (as Callahan)

A'Zaria

[/quote]

Clint needs to play Cort[/QUOTE]

I can see him as Cort. Either Eastwood or Brendan Gleeson, the actor that played Mad Eye Moody in the Harry Potter series. I know some of you might not be fans of Potter... but his character is close to what I pictured Cort to look and act like and I think he could play the part well.

Brendan Gleeson in Troy

Brendan Gleeson in Harry Potter

Brendan Gleeson in Harry Potter

Brendan Gleeson

BTW.... James Cromwell played the TV version of Father Callahan in Salem's lot, maybe he should reprise the role?! The original actor James Gallery,that played the character in the movie version, died in Feb 2001. (no pics)

James Cromwell in Salem's Lot (TV)

Another, great actor that could play the part of Eddie is NATHAN FILLION of Firefly/Serenity, Buffy, and Castle fame.

NATHAN FILLION

NATHAN FILLION in Firefly:Serenity

I would say Viggo Mortensen as Roland... But there is something about the eyes that turn me off... they aren't pained enough! Clint has the eyes but he is way too old for the part!

Viggo Mortensen in The Lord of the Rings

Viggo Mortensen
    Last edited by A'Zaria; 05-23-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: edited and added pics and rearranged some things.

Country
    Country Flag

It would be a very expensive series but I think could only be done accurately AS a tv series.

Im just praying that it wont be another carinvale and have its finances ripped out 1/3 of the way in. I dont think I could survive that happening again.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It would be a very expensive series but I think could only be done accurately AS a tv series.

Im just praying that it wont be another carinvale and have its finances ripped out 1/3 of the way in. I dont think I could survive that happening again.
    if that happened at least we already know how the series ends, totally not like carnivale at all (die hbo). and people who don't know would be able to read and find out. i'd almost rather have it happen that way, i'd be thrilled if they'd just do then gunslinger then make everyone who wants to know more read the series.

i'm a little worried i'll get all pissed off and throw bricks at the screen, but i'm looking forward to seeing a dark tower movie and i'll probably be able to enjoy it even if eddie is a drunk and detta walker doesn't exist. i haven't found a stephen king movie i don't like so far, when they totally fuck up my favorites i end up laughing about how wrong everything was. i really hope that doesn't happen this time but if it does i'll live, it ain't like they can change my books.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Or like Firefly.Good script, good acting, killed before its time.

I'm torn on this one. I'd love to see a miniseries or maybe 2 or 3 movies, but damn, they could really fuck it up. *crosses fingers* Maybe it will all work out.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Off topic I know. FIREFLY rules!

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

I'm torn on this one. I'd love to see a miniseries or maybe 2 or 3 movies, but damn, they could really fuck it up. *crosses fingers* Maybe it will all work out.
    Several movies would be nice. After all, it's working for Harry Potter. Don't know how fans would feel about waiting 3 years for each part to be shown in theatres. At that rate, i'd be 65 years old by the time book 7 comes out on film.

I get nervous when i think of a tv mini-series. After all, look at Kingdom Hospital or Golden Years. They sucked. Plus just the scope of the story is soooo large it was made for the big screen.

I'm sure that much of the books would have to be slimed down for a film but i hope that whoever writes it, they'll keep it tight and seamless.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Would you like to see this series as a movie at all?
    For my part I wouldn't.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Would you like to see this series as a movie at all?
    For my part I wouldn't.
    I also prefer the movie not be made, but they will make it anyway.

I can only see one director pulling off the feel and tone of the story well enough that I won't want to hunt him down and kill him for ruining it. Although, as has already been said; they can't ruin the books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Ron Howard spotting at th U.S. Open tonight.No time for tennis Ronnie,you have a movie to be working on and it ain't no walk in the park!....but seriously get to work....

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it could be done well in like a "300" type format so the magic and fantasy would translate.

Nothing takes away from the books for me so I am all for it
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nothing takes away from the books for me so I am all for it
    Oh yes, good point.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it could be done well in like a "300" type format
    If The Dark Tower was done in a "300" type format, Roland would be the Gay Cowboy from the Village People with a heavy chinese accent, Susannah would randomly break out into some erotic pole dancing and the entire film would be shot in some dark grey-light-grey-brown-nondescript environment, and after 4 long hours of slow motioned (and fake) violence, Roland would have just left Tull.

Nando: Oh Diem gave me some wonderful news yesterday - 300 is apparently the new gay icon movie. Congratulations

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it could be done well in like a "300" type format
    If The Dark Tower was done in a "300" type format, Roland would be the Gay Cowboy from the Village People with a heavy chinese accent, Susannah would randomly break out into some erotic pole dancing and the entire film would be shot in some dark grey-light-grey-brown-nondescript environment, and after 4 long hours of slow motioned (and fake) violence, Roland would have just left Tull.

Nando: Oh Diem gave me some wonderful news yesterday - 300 is apparently the new gay icon movie. Congratulations

Oh shut up. If you tell me that the idea of Roland going through the Tull scene a la' 300 doesn't give you wood then you're a damn filthy liar!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 244 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast