Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 254 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

John Stewart of The Daily Show interviewed Ron Howard today, and The Dark Tower series was touched upon.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=27933

Director Ron Howard (or as Eddie Murphy used to call him on SNL, "Opie Cunningham") was a guest on The Howard Stern Show, and despite Ron Howard's best efforts he found himself revealing things about his adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower that in other circumstances he wouldn't. Such is the power of Stern!

For fans it might be a little disheartening to learn that at this point the project is only in development, which means that it's probably a long way from filming. In fact, Howard wasn't even guaranteeing that the project would reach screens at all. If it does, however, in addressing the innovative notion of creating a trilogy of films supplemented by a television series between film entries, he pointed out that the plan calls for a single six-hour miniseries that would air between the release of the first two films. So anyone envisioning a couple of seasons of 22-episodes each should put that out of their mind.

One caller suggested that The Dark Tower would be more suitable for a cable network like HBO or Showtime than one of the networks, Howard, after some initial reluctance, noted that the show would likely air on Syfy or USA -- one of NBC/Universal's cable networks which would allow more freedom than the network itself.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

On Howard Stern, Ron Howard revealed that the "TV series" will probably be a six-hour miniseries and will likely air on an NBC/Universal affiliate (e.g. USA or SyFy)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Been reading several blogs lately, and very high up on the readers' wish-list is that Roland should begin the films with the Horn of Eld already in his possession, that way Howard/King have free reign to modify the ending and giving the latter an opportunity to present an ending with a certain amount of closure. Thoughts ?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm. I don't know. I actually think I would prefer the book coda ending. I think it would be pretty shocking to a lot of movie-goers.

Are there specific Dark Tower movie blogs springing up (along the lines of Winter-is-Coming?) If so, would you care to post links to them?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a bit more information on that Howard Stern appearance:

http://www.slashfilm.com/ron-howards...rs-considered/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Been reading several blogs lately, and very high up on the readers' wish-list is that Roland should begin the films with the Horn of Eld already in his possession, that way Howard/King have free reign to modify the ending and giving the latter an opportunity to present an ending with a certain amount of closure. Thoughts ?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    On Howard Stern, Ron Howard revealed that the "TV series" will probably be a six-hour miniseries and will likely air on an NBC/Universal affiliate (e.g. USA or SyFy)

I hope the "TV" series will be on SyFy. SyFy is the perfect network for the Dark Tower Series. Plus SyFy is always playing Stephen King movies.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, if handled properly, that could be a real good way to go. It could also be a very valid piece of info as in a couple of interviews Howard talks about King really loving the way Howard and team are approaching the project. That would allow them some free reign over the story while still keeping the core elements. Sort of similar to Abrams approach to the Trek re-boot. Could be a very interesting and successful approach. Especially since interviews have suggsted that not only did King like their proposed take on the project, but may be invloved as a sort of consultant.

At the very least, the movie adaption would not quite compare to the books, but pay it more of an homage. Very interesting in my mind. A very novel (no pun) aaproach. Of course the screenplay would have to be top-notch.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Here's a bit more information on that Howard Stern appearance:

http://www.slashfilm.com/ron-howards...rs-considered/
    I find it interesting how a six part series is considered a 'mini-series' in the states. This side of the pond, that would constitute a full series! Six is common, sometimes as much as eight if the show is popular. Doctor Who is a major exception with 13 episodes. And of course soap operas go on forever. (To be fair I don't think that was always the case. I have seen older programmes like Blake 7 that went on much longer.)

One thing I thought particularly good was that the statement that character driven stuff would be covered in the series, action stuff in the films. That seems a logical choice as series are particularly good for the slower paced stuff. It does make me wonder how they'll spread everything though as it's spread out quite a bit in the books. There's a lot of great exciting action and visual stuff in The Waste Lands, so I could see a large chunk of that being on film. (Probably the second).

On the other hand The Gunslinger is quite slow moving and character driven, but that would be a film being first. There's plenty of action to go with though
    Spoiler:
    including Tull and the stuff with the slow mutants under the mountains.

Since there are 7 books and five parts in the screen adaptation (3 films with a series in between) it obviously won't match up book=part*. I'm curious where the splits will be made or how different it will be.

I'm certainly interested to see what they come up with. I actually quite like the idea that this is
    Spoiler:
    another cycle
    . While I'd like it to be largely faithful to the books series, I wouldn't mind seeing some new stuff.
    Spoiler:
    The cycle
    allows them to do both.

*Part being a film or series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I find it interesting how a six part series is considered a 'mini-series' in the states. This side of the pond, that would constitute a full series! Six is common, sometimes as much as eight if the show is popular. Doctor Who is a major exception with 13 episodes. And of course soap operas go on forever. (To be fair I don't think that was always the case. I have seen older programmes like Blake 7 that went on much longer.)
    I'm sure you know this, but most network American series have seasons that last around 22 episodes in general. For cable series a season is usually around 12 episodes.

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked this quote:

“In a way it’s Stephen King’s life work. He’s woven those characters in and around so many stories… Hey look, there is always a risk when you adapt something and books are challenges. But I think a movie idea is there. And if I have my way, and if everything goes according to plan, which is of course a big if — we’ll be doing movies, we’ll be doing television, and all of that isn’t just [to make money] but all of that is to be as comprehensive as possible. The idea of doing part of it on the big screen and part of it on television is to try to include absolutely as much of the books, and even the graphic novels, as possible.”

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

my brother who has read the series LONG before i started reading them loves really everything about it. & even loves the ending of it as well. & he can't see anyone make the series a film franchise. at all. he prefers not to have it EVER touched upon. I however have always LOVED

the series & would LOVE if they did a series of films for it. & honestly i think that 10 years ago when "Peter Jackson" did his series of films. i don't think i need to say which films do I? he he. anyways. that series came pretty damn close to how someone

SHOULD do a series of films based off it's books. while i've never read that series. i've heard that it stuck pretty close to it's material & i think since it's 10 years later or so. going by when they were filming that series. he he. i think today if done right & the right people & script. etc.. are there It CAN be done.

i can't see Tom Hanks as "Roland" though & thanxs for the link. honestly i was thinking that it would be only 22 episodes. & it's great to hear that it won't be that. but a 6 hr. min-series. i dunno where the film would stop to be honest. my only guess would be if they combined the 1st two books

into a film say the length of a "Lord Of The Rings" films like 178 minutes or so. or a little bit longer like 190 minutes maybe? than that would make some sense. i have thought throught the years who i'd love to see play "Roland' & i honestly have no idea who i'd want to see him being played by?

ya know? i can understand it still being in development though. is the script even done yet? does anyone know? or are they out scouting locations perhaps for filming at some point? i realize that with a series like this it CAN take a long ass time to find the right locations.

i think "Ron Howard" is an interesting Choice to do this series. i never in a million years thought he could do it though. or rather a project like this. but than i also have never really thought much about either to be honest. i am curious though if they will put anything from the Comics & "The little sisters..." in the films?

or what i'm curious about as well is if "King" does do this next novel i forget the name of it at the moment my apologies on that. will that also be added to this as well?

& will "Ron Howard" make the series & mini-Series even longer after the next book comes out? or just ignore it?

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I love that idea! That way we can get the story we all love, and if any details are change they have a reason for it.

The concept seems to have worked for JJ Abrams and the Star Trek movie.
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Traveler CaptHowdy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I think that's a nice way to do it. As people has said earlier, nobody can complain if the movies doesn't follow the books by word and the ending (and other parts) can be adapted to fit TV/movies better.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh people will complain no matter how they make each film. look at the "Harry Potter" films a good series of books & films. each film that comes out people expect them to 100% follow the book. i on the other hand never have expected that. on that series i enjoy both the books & the films.

just like the books the films have ones that are better than others. & as for "DT" people will complain if they go that route with the "Horn Of Eld" ?

they will say that they wish they had stayed true to the book. people still complain about the tv mini-series of the film 'The Stand' which i love it followed the book a LOT better than i thought it would when i 1st saw it to be honest. anyways on IMDB board i was on yesterday they said that

"Ron Howard" was on "Howard Stern" & he talked about "DT" & said the project is still in development. i forgot what i read to be honest. but that's the main thing i DO remember him saying. thank god for howard to get him to talk about it! nobody i don't think would have the power to do that! he he.

the next 2 films i can't wait to see honestly. is 1st the film version of "Dark Shadows" that comes out next year i think. & than there's the "DT" series. they announced who they were looking at for 'Roland" have they said anything about any other character? & as for "Oy" my guess on that is that he'll be "CGI" since he talks.

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

wow, i really hope not. above all, even if all of the story is not included, it certainly should not be changed. especially the "ending" as it is originally intended. it essentially changes everything about the story.

and i liked what i heard from ron howard on the stern show, it was encouraging to hear he really was giving it a lot of thought. the fact that he admitted that actually filming the project is not for certain leads me to believe he is giving serious consideration to the damage that can be done by NOT following the correct adaptation path.
    Time is a face on the water.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it's never really possible to adapt a story from one medium to another with no changes. In this case, they'll be making a statement about the philosophy of the work either way.

DT 7

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, it's never really possible to adapt a story from one medium to another with no changes. In this case, they'll be making a statement about the philosophy of the work either way.

DT 7
    Not sure, but to me if they are approaching the story in that fashion it quiets my nerves a bit that they will "ruin" the books and frankly, gets me more interested in seeing what they come up with. I mean I am sure they will remain more or less faithful to the story, but any errors or omissions are a little more easy to forgive. IMHO Technically, they could still remain faithful to the original ending and do something just like Steve did if they want. Very interesting!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i was thinking about something i think it was today at work when i was listening to the audio book on my Ipod of "The Waste Lands" which i'm almost done listening to. the gang well the Ka-Tet i mean are saying they know this & that. i think that's pretty much clues on how the ending would eventually turn out.

sorry i got off topic a bit. i was just thinking aloud i guess. he he. anyways, i also agree it is Nice that "Ron Howard" is his words obessing about it.
    though i think his way of doing it is far to damn short. but who knows maybe he will change his mind on that? they said for many years that "The Lord of the rings" was unfilmable & "Peter Jackson" came along & proved them ALL WRONG! now i think it' s"Ron Howard's" turn.

i wonder who's going to direct the rest of the series? to be honest i think it'd be interesting if "Steven Spielberg" did at least one film that'd be interesting for him to do a "SK" film for a change of pace.

Traveler holzy1139 is on a distinguished road

Roland to be revealed this week!! Has this been posted?? Sorry if it has.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/01/18...d-brian-grazer

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower Casting Announcement Coming This Week
    "...when we asked if he'd talked to the two actors about the part, he simply laughed and responded, 'Sure.' Grazer did say, however, that a casting announcement is imminent. How imminent? 'Within a week,' he said. Seriously? 'Seriously. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Seriously,' he assured us before asking, 'Who do you want?' Honestly, we'll take either of them. 'OK, great,' Grazer concluded."
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=28279

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Torrance is on a distinguished road Jack Torrance's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Man now I have to care if the world will end in 2012 cause then I wont see the movie!
    "You've had your whole F***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes minutes more gonna do you now?"

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

DT 7
    i completely agree that things will have to be changed, we all know that.

but in my opinion, you cant change some very important details. smaller details that affect HOW the plot unfolds, yes. but changing certain things alters the whole interpretation of the story, and that should not be done. King made a very big deal of that Horn, and to present it at any other time is just poor understanding of its importance.

an example where we see plenty of discrepancy between book and movie is LOTR. There were many liberties taken with the telling of the story, but the fundamental elements remained intact, and that's why it worked so well. For instance, they couldn't separate The Two Towers into half a movie about Merry and Pippin then half a movie about the rest. It just would not have fit the flow of a movie, and we understand that. There were even many omissions (ie, Tom Bombadil) and character alterations. Specifically, Frodo is by and large a much more cowardly character in the movies than in the books. Escaping the Nazgul after fighting them at Weathertop are scenes in the book that portray him as very brave and courageous, yet both incidents were altered drastically in the movie. But such changes did not formulate a re-telling of the story. while the characters are slightly different, the end result is the same.

Roland already holding the Horn of Eld would completely change the story in a fundamental way. It automatically will set Roland up as a more heroic and nostalgic character in the viewer's eyes. The books however, tell the story of a man who constantly battles between his need to save the Tower and his haunted memories of what he has done to meet that end. It is in this character struggle that we come to understand his complexity. The horn is a symbol of Roland's humanity, and if presented at the beginning of his quest it loses all meaning. Unless,
    DT 7

also, in regards to this:
    DT 7
    i feel that this must be addressed because we start seeing the theme as early as DT5. so it cannot be omitted, though the second half of that with the movie asserting itself is very interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I would still maintain that it is different than the Horn though. Specifically that detail needs to remain in the story as it is.
    Time is a face on the water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 254 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 156 ... LastLast