Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 254 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 248 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know. Both are fruits and both can be great when treated properly. One of these things was not treated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    As of Sep. 4th, the Dark Tower has crossed the 100mil international mark...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darktower.htm
    Meanwhile It looks it's going to break that domestically on opening weekend.

And that movie is R and over two hours long. Whodathunk a lengthy R-rated film based on a Stephen King novel could do well?

(And yes I know It has inherent advantages over DT but still.)
    Kind of like comparing apples and zucchini here.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And that movie is R and over two hours long. Whodathunk a lengthy R-rated film based on a Stephen King novel could do well?

or: shit & art
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    or: shit & art
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I finally saw the film yesterday. While it would have e been nice if they had made it closer to the novels (and I'm not sure I accept this is the
    Spoiler:
    final loop
    ) I enjoyed it.

So, it could have been so much more, but I thought it was okay, for what it was.
    If the cinematic/televised series continues to build on what we saw in the film, let us hope that the creative minds helming the project considerably expand plus improve upon the foundation.
    I'd be up for that. I thought the characters were pretty much spot on although I thought this version of Walter was closer akin to his hardcase RF persona from The Stand rather the somewhat ambiguous trickster we got in the DT novels.
    Spoiler:
    If his memories carried over from the novels cycle, that might explain his ramping things up this time around

I agree with some criticisms that it was rather too fast paced. It would have benefitted from a bit more running time. They certainly crammed a lot into the relatively short film we got.

As an action oriented take on the Dark Tower stories it was enjoyable enough,
    Spoiler:
    and it even included a battle between The Gunslinger and the Man in black, which I think many would prefer to Walt's fate in the novels!
    *, and as a launching pad for good sequels, it works. I have doubts they will occur, but we'll see.

Spoiler:
    While I liked it, I wasn't keen on Walter being taken out so soon (although I doubt there will be sequels). I wouldn't be surprised if a way was found to bring him back however. He isn't entirely human, and there are other worlds than these.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

True, one movie received 88% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 90% approval rating from fans, the other received 16% from critics with a 54% fan rating.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

John F. Kennedy Argie is on a distinguished road Argie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finally saw the film yesterday. While it would have e been nice if they had made it closer to the novels (and I'm not sure I accept this is the
    Spoiler:
    final loop
    ) I enjoyed it.

So, it could have been so much more, but I thought it was okay, for what it was.
    If the cinematic/televised series continues to build on what we saw in the film, let us hope that the creative minds helming the project considerably expand plus improve upon the foundation.
    I'd be up for that. I thought the characters were pretty much spot on although I thought this version of Walter was closer akin to his hardcase RF persona from The Stand rather the somewhat ambiguous trickster we got in the DT novels.
    Spoiler:
    If his memories carried over from the novels cycle, that might explain his ramping things up this time around

I agree with some criticisms that it was rather too fast paced. It would have benefitted from a bit more running time. They certainly crammed a lot into the relatively short film we got.

As an action oriented take on the Dark Tower stories it was enjoyable enough,
    Spoiler:
    and it even included a battle between The Gunslinger and the Man in black, which I think many would prefer to Walt's fate in the novels!
    *, and as a launching pad for good sequels, it works. I have doubts they will occur, but we'll see.

Spoiler:
    While I liked it, I wasn't keen on Walter being taken out so soon (although I doubt there will be sequels). I wouldn't be surprised if a way was found to bring him back however. He isn't entirely human, and there are other worlds than these.
    I do believe in the movie Walter knows about the cycles. If im not wrong he mentions Roland is a dog "fetching the same bone over and over again ". Or something like that right? And "one more time around the old wheel my friend"

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoilers for film and novels:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Argie View Post
    I do believe in the movie Walter knows about the cycles. If im not wrong he mentions Roland is a dog "fetching the same bone over and over again ". Or something like that right? And "one more time around the old wheel my friend"
    Yes, I noticed that. I wonder if that means he remembers his life in those cycles though? (Not necessarily the same thing.) If he does it would explain his more brutal active persona, rather than the novel version who turns up, creates a scenario to cause a bit of mischief, then skedaddles for ages. Of course we're seeing more from Walter's POV in the film so this is also a factor, but there were times, like the palaver at the end of The Gunslinger, when Walt seemed to help out a bit. He even packed them lunch in Wizard and Glass, although he was likely just messing with them.

I can see why they took the route they did from a motion picture perspective, just thinking of an in-world explanation.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 09-15-2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: To sort out my messed up quotes!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

This is why im so glad the Last Of Us movie fell through. Sony would of done the same thing to it that it did to Dark Tower.(I didn't hate the DT movie. It just had a good cast but a mediocre and sterilzed plot. Elba was a great Roland) Anyway Sony really would of dumbed down the plot and tone of Last of Us.
    All of the heart and tragedy of the game would of been gone. Sony should just stick to gaming. I love them on that front.

Traveler Keith1974 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Keith1974 View Post
    And I still honestly believe that one of the motives for casting Elba was that they feared being hit with the racism tag for having eliminated Susannah from the story.
    They said from the beginning Suz and Eddie would have shown up in a future film.
    So shuffling a crucial character off to some never-to-be-made sequel makes up for her absence? DARK TOWER would have played better as a ensemble piece instead of focusing on Jake, who they couldn't have made less interesting.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

At the end of the day they didn't bring it. The quality wasn't there in any aspects of the film. Casting, script, acting, special effects, etc, etc were all not good enough.

Look at movies like Book of Eli or The Road which in my opinion brought a much better Dark Tower feel than The Dark Tower did. Both of these films are very different from one another (and DT) on budget however both brought it in terms of look, story, and acting. BOE spent 20 million more and TR 35 million less than DT. The Dark Tower just flat out missed.

At the end of the day the creative team butchered a great story, the director did not have the vision or skills, and the financiers demanded nothing but budget.

Country
    Country Flag

So shuffling a crucial character off to some never-to-be-made sequel makes up for her absence?
    Yes?

It's not like they cut her out of the story and had Roland draw Eddie but leave Suz out.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And I still honestly believe that one of the motives for casting Elba was that they feared being hit with the racism tag for having eliminated Susannah from the story.
    They said from the beginning Suz and Eddie would have shown up in a future film.
    So shuffling a crucial character off to some never-to-be-made sequel makes up for her absence? DARK TOWER would have played better as a ensemble piece instead of focusing on Jake, who they couldn't have made less interesting.
    There's no winning with some folks.

If the film had a longer runtime, sure. Maybe. As is, having both Odetta and Eddie in the same runtime would have made the film feel even more constrained.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm honestly surprised that this thread hasn't been closed yet.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why would it be closed? There's still the TV series to look forward to and the potential reboot on the big screen in ten year's time. This thread has been around for a decade before this film finally came out.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why would it be closed? There's still the TV series to look forward to and the potential reboot on the big screen in ten year's time. This thread has been around for a decade before this film finally came out.
    Ditto!!! We can still dream!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This thread has been around for a decade before this film finally came out.
    Exactly. Admittedly, I have yet to see the film but; it seems they (the folks who made it), took a big ol' dump in a brown paper bag, sat it on the porch of the Constant Readers, and lit it afire. Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Ditto!!! We can still dream!! lol
    A cable TV series done correctly would be the best case scenario down that road at some point.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i talked to my brother last nite cause he called me for my b-day that was Saturday i'm 39 now sadly i say it like that cause i'd rather be 29. having said that i asked him so how much did you hate the dark tower film? cause i saw it opening day and i knew right away he was going to hate it. his response was i refuse to see it as he hates the dude who wrote the screenplay so he refuses to watch it. honestly as much as i hate to admit it if you don't like a screen writer it's not going to be a sure sign you will enjoy it. i love David S Goyer but he's written a lot of shitty films too.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The Dark Tower debuts on digital October 17 and on 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD October 31 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Dark Tower Blu-ray is loaded with bonus material, including deleted scenes, a blooper reel and “A Look Through the Keyhole,” which features three vignettes narrated by Roland and The Man in Black. Also included are five behind-the-scenes featurettes that capture the imagination of fans. The filmmakers and Stephen King reveal the plot points that allowed the film to pay tribute to everything great about Stephen King’s novels while making it a whole new experience for fans in “Last Time Around.” Fans step inside the fully realized sets and locations that play host to the physical embodiment of Stephen King’s Mid-World in “The World Has Moved On …”. For “The Man in Black,” Matthew McConaughey takes the audience inside his perceptions and process for portraying the villain Walter, aka The Man in Black. Fans go behind the scenes and inside the stunt team’s process for creating the action-packed battles in “The Gunslinger in Action”. Stephen King discusses the journey from his book series to screen in “Stephen King Inspirations.”

>>> Source

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. I'll be sure to snag a copy!
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Guess they had a hard time finding a good review to cherry-pick the quotes from given the Forbes review is basically lukewarm at best. "As surface-level entertainment, The Dark Tower is halfway decent." probably wouldn't look as good on the back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#1cc34cdc3dee

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

what they SHOULD have fucking done is put out an extended cut of it much like there is suppose to be one of "IT" when it hits video. well i still call it video what can i say i'm old fashioned that way.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No,no, no. What they should have done is apologized for the movie, refunded our money then sit down with us SK nuts and fucking asked US what to do...
    By the way, happy birthday Mr King.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i think all of us will agree with you on that one but since that won't ever happen i can if i am forced to settle for the longer cut of the film that we should have gotten

+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 254 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 248 ... LastLast