Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Along the Path of the Beam zadok is on a distinguished road zadok's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenrot View Post
    Javier Bardem Closing 'Dark Tower' Deal
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/javi...rk-tower-deal/
    Looks like my dream casting of Hugh Laurie is almost dead...
    There are other worlds than these...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zadok View Post
    It's amusing, cos whenever I think of Hugh Laurie I think of his comedy stuff over here in the UK (Blackadder for example) where his roles are about as far away from Roland as you can get!

I know you're probably basing this on House though, which is fair enough. Just shows the diversity of a good actor.

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ies-31281.html

Heroes' Mark Verheiden Set to Co-Write NBC's Dark Tower Series

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BSG writer and producer. Awesome.

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen any of those shows...

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with his work, but hopefully the assistance of a 'geek' director such as Mark Verheiden will help to dilute the, well, mediocrity of Akiva Goldsman.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll hire a more talented co-director, too? Like Frank Darabont... well, I can dream, can't I?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen any of those shows...
    I've never seen anything.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zadok View Post
    Javier Bardem Closing 'Dark Tower' Deal
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/javi...rk-tower-deal/
    Yes, mine too. I AM hopeful though, Javier could be good.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears too wanted Laurie

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I am good with Javier Bardem but based on the movie No County for Old Men (which I adored) i'd have liked to see Josh Brolin as Roland. I am just glad they didn't give it to Christian Bale, he f**ked up the Terminator series for me and that sucks because before that I would have said he was great as a sort of dark hero (as in teh Batman series) ho hum I guess

Bernicio Del Toro would have worked for me as well

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

A skinny Josh Brolin would've been a good choice too. Jackman and Mortensen too. Hell, even Bale would've been good. He's quite cool and calculated in his murders in Equlibrium.

I read the comments on some of those links posted. It's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks Bardem is a bad choice for Roland.

Gunslinger Apprentice sullivan19 is on a distinguished road sullivan19's Avatar

My Mood
    Asleep
    Country
    Country Flag

My first choice for Roland was Thomas Jane, but I think Bardem will surprise a lot of people.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I heard a rumor . . . Not too sure on how true it is . . . All hollywood rumors should be taken with a grain of salt . . . But I heard Bardem has only read a couple of the novels and has little to no understanding of the story. My hopes for this adaptation wither by the day.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Country
    Country Flag

Viggo never read LotR when he was cast for his movie. He did fine.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Viggo is also a better actor, in my opinion.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

Did it occur to you that he might, you know, read the other books between now and filming? (Not that reading the books is at all essential; many actors who star in adaptations do not read the source material, but in no way does this impede their performance. The only ones who need to know the books inside-out are the writer and the director.)

Country
    Country Flag

Actually yes, Slender. Id figure that woul be a pretty obvious thing to happen. My concern wasn't on how many books he's read so far, but him NOT UNDERSTANDING the source material for which he will be playing the main character.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

What do you mean by 'understanding'? Are you saying Bardem is unable to grasp the fundamental narrative of the books? If so, a quick trip to Wikipedia and a run through the story synopsis should do the trick.

Where did you hear this rumour, anyway?

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty harsh to think someone you've never met is unable to grasp the part/story. Also, being "a better actor" has nothing to do with being able to understand the story and role. I repeat: I am still hopeful.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    Well I am good with Javier Bardem but based on the movie No County for Old Men (which I adored) i'd have liked to see Josh Brolin as Roland. I am just glad they didn't give it to Christian Bale, he f**ked up the Terminator series for me and that sucks because before that I would have said he was great as a sort of dark hero (as in teh Batman series) ho hum I guess

Bernicio Del Toro would have worked for me as well
    benicio del toro as roland?

methink's he'd make a better flag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NCKu8kJIMM
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty harsh because I heard a rumor and posted it in this thread? And then voiced an opinion on an actor? Yeah, that's pretty harsh.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Back to the subject of the Calla material being condensed or skipped over... does anyone think it's possible that the filmmakers might combine Wolves of the Calla with The Waste Lands?

Think about it. The ka-tet come across a similar town – River Crossing – shortly before they reach Lud. Perhaps they could run into Callahan and Andy there, and end up defending the locals at River Crossing from the Wolves? (River Crossing could be renamed 'the Calla' if deemed suitable). This would mean that the filmmakers would have much more space in the final film – they'd only have to condense books 6 and 7 into a single film, rather than 5, 6 and 7. If necessary, some of book 3's earlier material (like the drawing of Jake) could be pushed back into the Drawing of the Three TV miniseries, which would free up more space in the Waste Lands film for the Calla material.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?
    Last edited by Slender; 04-18-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: tyop

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Slender View Post
    Back to the subject of the Calla material being condensed or skipped over... does anyone think it's possible that the filmmakers might combine Wolves of the Calla with The Waste Lands?

Think about it. The ka-tet come across a similar town – River Crossing – shortly before they reach Lud. Perhaps they could run into Callahan and Andy there, and end up defending the locals at River Crossing from the Wolves? (River Crossing could be renamed 'the Calla' is deemed suitable). This would mean that the filmmakers would have much more space in the final film – they'd only have to condense books 6 and 7 into a single film, rather than 5, 6 and 7. If necessary, some of book 3's earlier material (like the drawing of Jake) could be pushed back into the Drawing of the Three TV miniseries, which would free up more space in the Waste Lands film for the Calla material.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?
    Well, anything can happen with this adaptation - at least, it will not surprise me if the story get jumbled beyond recognition.
    Personally, I'd rather they stick to the narrative as it is in the books - no "Calla Crossing" for me, thankyouverymuch.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

We'll be very lucky if some narrative jumbling is the worst transgression made by the filmmakers. I try to maintain optimism, but deep down I think they're very likely to remove or heavily modify huge swaths of material.

Traveler CaptHowdy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

This is how I think they will/should do it:
    1st movie: Books 1, 2 and 3 until the drawing of Jake.
    1st TV-series: The rest of book 3, 4 without prequel and book 4,5 (wind through the keyhole).
    2nd movie: Books 5 and 6.
    2nd TV-series: Prequel stuff.
    3rd movie: Book 7.
    1st movie will contain a lot material but I think it's important that all main characters are introduced in the first movie in case people come to the second movie who haven't seen the TV-series. Also the first two book are the shortest once.
    In the second movie I am with previous comments that much in book 5 can be left out and also some in book 6.
    The last movie will only have to cover book 7 which means they don't need to cut so much (a lot of things going on in that one ).
    I'm not sure at which point the second movie should end, maybe the at the beginning of book 7 after dixie pig when the ka-tet is reunited?
    Comments?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 254 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast