Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 221 of 254 FirstFirst ... 121 171 211 219 220 221 222 223 231 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    LOL. I like the review that notes that MM appears to be filming an extended cut of his car commercial.
    Haha. I kinda like this line from Joblo too:

THE DARK TOWER is a muddled mess of an adaptation that plays like someone wrote a young adult novelization of a couple of the books, and that was turned into a movie.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Interesting how people that liked the books and know the story are the ones liking it..... I am not surprised. I cannot wait till tomorrow to see it.
    A number of the negative reviews are from people who've read the books and are criticizing it for not doing King's story justice (like the EW review for example).
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Along the Path of the Beam brethren will become famous soon enough

This review caption made me laugh and cry a little at the same time:

The Dark Tower Review - What The Hell Happened?

Although it's very misleading because the reviewer hasn't even read the books.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So we thinking rental here? I thought all along that it should have gotten the GoT treatment. It took 27 years for IT to recover from that awful miniseries and hit the big screen. Hopefully we don't have to wait as long for this to be done right.

Spoiler:
    Really should have taken RF up on that bet
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    A number of the negative reviews are from people who've read the books and are criticizing it for not doing King's story justice (like the EW review for example).
    Yeah, it seems to be mostly this. IGN's headline is literally "A thoroughly average adaptation of some truly incredible source material." Have only seen a couple of positive reviews from people who've read the books.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    So we thinking rental here? I thought all along that it should have gotten the GoT treatment. It took 27 years for IT to recover from that awful miniseries and hit the big screen. Hopefully we don't have to wait as long for this to be done right.

Spoiler:
    Really should have taken RF up on that bet
    That "awful miniseries" is one of the main reasons why IT is so iconic in pop culture today and probably why the remake exists in the first place. Can't imagine that Warner Bros would take the plunge on a R-rated 2 part horror film (the first of which is over two hours) about a clown that murders children if the Tim Curry version wasn't as beloved as it is.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's the "swag" the radio station was giving out at the Bangor premiere:

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I really hope whatever initial failure the film experiences doesn't kill the TV series; the DT world has plenty of slow-burn material that is absolutely perfect for TV (cable).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I really hope whatever initial failure the film experiences doesn't kill the TV series; the DT world has plenty of slow-burn material that is absolutely perfect for TV (cable).
    WELL SAID... It is a "slow burn". Very Game of Thrones but would have translated MUCH better to small screen. I hope they see ratings and keep it where it should be. I will reserve my judgement till tomorrow though
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Y'know even as someone who wished Walter had more of a role to play in the series they're really overstating the Roland/Walter conflict. Like after the initial pushing Roland to take his test I think he has one scene in W&G where he shows up with a box to one of Jonas's men. Not even sure what they mean of "how Walter became MIB" given he was fully formed and causing trouble hundreds of years before he encountered Roland.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

So in retrospect there's really no reason why they couldn't have given us a straight R-rated adaptation of the first book, is there?
    We just needed a Director and Studio with the balls to do it. JJ Abrams ran away like a coward. And like you said King would not let Frank do it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The guys on Consequence of Sound make it sound okay. It's not great, but there's enough there to make it good-ish. Certainly a seed for future growth.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

So in retrospect there's really no reason why they couldn't have given us a straight R-rated adaptation of the first book, is there?
    The book was difficult to get through. I can't imagine a straight-up adaptation would be all that great. Especially for a wider audience. Anytime I've tried to introduce someone to the DT books, I"ve always mentioned that the story gets better after book 1.

Not to mention the impossibility of finding an actor to play young Roland in the flashback scenes and then have that same actor play the part when they get around to making W&G.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Not to mention the impossibility of finding an actor to play young Roland in the flashback scenes and then have that same actor play the part when they get around to making W&G.
    That's one of my concerns with Tom Taylor -- in the press photos from earlier this week, he's almost as tall as Idris Elba. I think he's had a major growth spurt since principal photography!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm always surprised when I hear people say it gets better after book 1. I love the first book and still do to this day. I think it's magical.

Edit: I do think it gets better after book 1 but I truly think The Gunslinger is wonderful itself.

The book was difficult to get through. I can't imagine a straight-up adaptation would be all that great. Especially for a wider audience. Anytime I've tried to introduce someone to the DT books, I"ve always mentioned that the story gets better after book 1.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev, your review is excellent.

Bev Vincent's Review.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm sometimes guilty of thinking of The Gunslinger as the book where nothing happens, but the truth is that every page is heavy with significance. Give it your attention, and be rewarded. In a sense, it's the deep breath before jumping into the whitewater rapids that much of the series is.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm always surprised when I hear people say it gets better after book 1. I love the first book and still do to this day. I think it's magical.

Edit: I do think it gets better after book 1 but I truly think The Gunslinger is wonderful itself.

For me, it was a hard read the first time around. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't really understand exactly who Roland was or really what he was doing. The whole story within a story in Brown's hut confused me as well.

It wasn't until I read books 2 - 4 and then went back and read the first book again that it really made more sense and I started to like it a bit more.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Dialogue between a huge fan of the books and someone who hasn't read them, both of them have been anticipating the film on their youtube channel for months.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Bev, your review is excellent.

Bev Vincent's Review.
    Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

The book was difficult to get through. I can't imagine a straight-up adaptation would be all that great. Especially for a wider audience.
    Perhaps but if the reviews are telling the truth would the outcome have been any worse? Maybe the issue is trying to make DT appeal to a wide blockbuster audience in the first place.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 221 of 254 FirstFirst ... 121 171 211 219 220 221 222 223 231 ... LastLast