Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 170 of 254 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I agree with RF. It'll reach a limited fan base, and as a result will be lucky to finish in the top 5 for the weekend. I can't wait for the movie, but just don't think it's going to do that great at the box office.
    Don't forget...we have two of the hottest actors in Hollywood right now... IN IT
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to admit that I liked the trailer. It actually looks like a good movie. But alas, it is not "my" Dark Tower and it is not "the" Dark Tower. It is just "a" Dark Tower.

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was a rough cut with no sound that I saw. I could see past most of it and tell that there is some real goodness there but some things bothered me:

1) MIB - He didn't seem to have enough "eldritch"ness to him. I didn't get a sinister vibe about him. Maybe that'll change. I hope so.
    2) Guns of Eld - I can't find the trailer again but they seemed to be a break top or side out cylinder. Not too crazy here but the rounds looked really odd. Could have seen this wrong as I only watched it once. I didn't want the roughness to spoil the movie for me but it was kind of exciting to see something unexpected in that area. That's of course assuming they were Roland's.
    3) Elba - He really did seem to have a great brooding aurora coming off of him. I get that it's probably one of the things that they keyed in on during casting but it made me feel better. Scott Eastwood would have had me as giddy as a school girl but Idris is good. This picture of him (not from the movie) really drives it home: http://www.nme.com/images/2015IdrisE...91215.hero.jpg

The one comment: It's not MY tower. I feel that comment. I really do. I don't think any movie that someone else makes will ever compare to the film that rolled in our minds when we read the books. When I reread them, it's like the same film plays again but instead I notice other little details here and there. I guess this will be another tale from the Tower for all of us but never the one we are used to.

Either way, $20 is chump change to get my Tower fix. l've paid more and gotten less before!

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is important to keep in mind that the trailer is two minutes of a supposedly two-and-a-half hour long film.

Personally, I would be taken aback if the entirety of the cinematic experience is whiz-bang action.

--- --- ---

Quote Originally Posted by BrandoRex View Post
    2) Guns of Eld - I can't find the trailer again but they seemed to be a break top or side out cylinder. Not too crazy here but the rounds looked really odd. Could have seen this wrong as I only watched it once. I didn't want the roughness to spoil the movie for me but it was kind of exciting to see something unexpected in that area. That's of course assuming they were Roland's.
    They are based on the Remington 1858/New Model Army Revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

Quote Originally Posted by BrandoRex View Post
    Either way, $20 is chump change to get my Tower fix. l've paid more and gotten less before!
    For a REGULAR movie ticket? Christ...

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I sure hope it's not all whiz-bang-biff-boom. Far too many movies like that. I want some sweeping, epic cinematography, especially in the desert.

I never take in a regular movie! Nowadays, I have a nice enough TV and setup to wait until its available for rental if it's not something special. I'm lucky enough to have an IMAX theater in town (a new one) and typically when I go to the movies I'll watch it there.

Even if you're not at an IMAX (which is usually more than 20 for just the ticket), taking in an early bird movie with popcorn and a drink, you're in the $25 and above range. Take kids? You need a loan.

It's way easier to just wait it out, rent it in HD and be able to eat whatever popcorn food or whatever else. Don't get me wrong, a theater can be a grand experience or even close to a ride but for me, it's not really worth going unless its a real good movie.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My family and I skip the liquids and solids when we go out to see a movie (if we do eat, it's prior to the film itself at an establishment dedicated to serving sustenance). On top of that, there is a particular local theater where you can obtain a ticket with a measly 5 USD if you go during a specific day of the week. You can understand, then, why the act of paying over ten dollars for the price of admittance is tantamount to highway robbery in my mind.

Oh, and, as a bonus, half or fewer than half of the seats have been occupied each time we decided to make the trip and ambient noise isn't an issue.

I do agree with you in that it is often not a worthwhile expenditure of time and money. We see maybe three or four movies a year tops. The Dark Tower made the list way in advance because...how often does such an occasion happen ?

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to chime in with a comment.

There has been a fair amount of people pointing out (bordering on complaining) that this trailer is centered around Jake. I think its important to note what the trailer is "called". Its called "The Outsider." This particular trailer focuses heavily on Jake and his slow decent into Roland's world, just as 'they' the general audience are also being introduced to The Dark Tower/Roland/mid-world for the first time. I have a feeling the next trailer will have a title like "The Gunslinger" or "The Man in Black" and it will focus heavily on Roland or MIB, the 3rd trailer will do the same etc., so we get to know the 3 main players that will be in the movie.

The 2nd trailer will have very little to do with 'our world' at all and will introduce us more to Roland/MIB/Mid-World, and will have more of a tone we are familiar with, and will be the trailer the hardcore fans can sink their teeth into and SQUEEEEEEE about, although some of us already are.

It's will be almost like the doors on the beach this way, and I bet the trailers continue to be titled like the doors (The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows, The Pusher).

Its smart for them to start out with Jake because its easier to digest for the general public. Mid-World with all of its odds and ends would be a tough pill to swallow to try and attract an audience if that was the focus of the initial trailer. Its easier for them to start with a trailer that's 80% New York, and tease us a bit with the beast and a bit of shooting and tech-magicry so that people understand there's a little bit more going on, and draw them in.
    Last edited by Kevin; 10-12-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typos/clarification

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another comment, there is a voice in the trailer close to the end that says 'He destroys everything he touches.'

It's not Idris, Jake or MIB. It almost sounds like the guy that plays Luke Cage

Anyone have any insight who's voice/what character that is??

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    My family and I skip the liquids and solids when we go out to see a movie (if we do eat, it's prior to the film itself at an establishment dedicated to serving sustenance). On top of that, there is a particular local theater where you can obtain a ticket with a measly 5 USD if you go during a specific day of the week. You can understand, then, why the act of paying over ten dollars for the price of admittance is tantamount to highway robbery in my mind.

Oh, and, as a bonus, half or fewer than half of the seats have been occupied each time we decided to make the trip and ambient noise isn't an issue.

I do agree with you in that it is often not a worthwhile expenditure of time and money. We see maybe three or four movies a year tops. The Dark Tower made the list way in advance because...how often does such an occasion happen ?
    I HAVE NO issue paying for a movie that means something to me. I have no issue buying the popcorn and pop too... cause I want the theaters to survive and show movies for the rest of my days. Is it expensive, yes it is. But so is making that movie! If everyone did like you my man... we would not even have the chance to see the DT on the big screen. We have these chances cause they make money... they are a business... and by the sounds of most here.... OUR business is seeing them, so I will support them as much as I can. I see about 10-12 a year. I think we all should
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I HAVE NO issue paying for a movie that means something to me. I have no issue buying the popcorn and pop too... cause I want the theaters to survive and show movies for the rest of my days. Is it expensive, yes it is. But so is making that movie! If everyone did like you my man... we would not even have the chance to see the DT on the big screen. We have these chances cause they make money... they are a business... and by the sounds of most here.... OUR business is seeing them, so I will support them as much as I can. I see about 10-12 a year. I think we all should
    *shrugs* If you want to pay full price for a movie ticket in your neck of the woods, feel free to. On the flipside...there's nothing wrong with wanting to be frugal.

(As an aside, should The Dark Tower meet or exceed my expectations, I am also going to pick up the Blu-Ray home video release once that hits the market.)

--- --- ---

https://imgur.com/a/dNLnn#g5gal2s

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm just sad that I never got to see this leaked trailer before it vanished from the internet.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The last movie I saw in a theater was the original Xmen movie. We go to the drive-in a lot though - $7 per person to see 2 movies. Money is not the issue though. I detest movie theaters now. There is no such thing as common courtesy any more. Idiots constantly on their phones during the movie or just running their mouths. I don't plan on ever going to a theater, ever again.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

The last movie I saw in a theater was the original Xmen movie. We go to the drive-in a lot though - $7 per person to see 2 movies. Money is not the issue though. I detest movie theaters now. There is no such thing as common courtesy any more. Idiots constantly on their phones during the movie or just running their mouths. I don't plan on ever going to a theater, ever again.
    At least your still supporting the movies at the drive ins though. I go to one here locally ($10 a car load) and love it. Popcorn isn't as good though!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The trailer looks fucking great (still not sold on Elba) talking about the box office takings I've spoken to loads of people going to see it on the cinema who have only heard about the books but never read them!!! We should all support our local cinema unless they too will be condemned to the past like our local video stores....

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

I get theater rage. Movie theaters are the very last place people should be on their phones. I've nearly gotten into altercations before and I have never in my life been in a physical fight with anyone but something about the blatant disregard of others in the movie theater is unacceptable to me. Now, I try my best to get positioned where people cannot sit in front of me.

As for paying full price, I guess one great thing about SC is how cheap a lot of things are here. Most every movie I see now is at the local discount theater. $2 on the weekend and $1.50 during the week. What's really cool is they will get movies that the regular theaters around here pass on like foreign and independent films. The only thing is I have to wait until the films are out of regular rotation. For instance, I'm going to see Suicide Squad this weekend because they finally got it. For only 2 bucks, it's hard to get angry if the movie truly sucks.

I can see a movie every single weekend for a whole year and only spend about $100. Not too shabby!

I may or may not see TDT at regular price depending on how interested I am when it finally gets here. I hope it's great!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    (still not sold on Elba)
    Because...?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I missed the trailer while it was on the internet.

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

I agree with RF. It'll reach a limited fan base, and as a result will be lucky to finish in the top 5 for the weekend. I can't wait for the movie, but just don't think it's going to do that great at the box office.
    Yeah only DT fans and Flim buff will see it. But if it's good. The youtubers will get the word out.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuctherOfTull View Post
    Yeah only DT fans and Flim buff will see it. But if it's good. The youtubers will get the word out.
    I think both Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey (whose name I will some day learn to spell without looking it up) will draw their individual audiences to the feature, too. That's not to be underestimated.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There will be a big audience for this, regardless of name recognition.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    100%
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Gasherman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BuctherOfTull View Post
    How well do you guys think this will do at the Box Office? I predict 35 to 40 mil opening. #2 It wont beat Bojack Batman(Logo Batman)that movie will still be #1.
    That would be a huge win considering they claim the budget is only $60 million. They are really dragging their heels on the full promo though.
    A opening weekend of $20mil or more would indeed be a Towering (heh) triumph if the budget really is in the $60mil range.

Don't forget...we have two of the hottest actors in Hollywood right now... IN IT
    Yes, the draw power of the two leads cannot be underestimated.

"Great" is relative. An opening weekend of $25-$30 mil for a Marvel film would be branded a disaster, but for this film it would essentially guarantee a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'd like to chime in with a comment.

There has been a fair amount of people pointing out (bordering on complaining) that this trailer is centered around Jake. I think its important to note what the trailer is "called". Its called "The Outsider." This particular trailer focuses heavily on Jake and his slow decent into Roland's world, just as 'they' the general audience are also being introduced to The Dark Tower/Roland/mid-world for the first time. I have a feeling the next trailer will have a title like "The Gunslinger" or "The Man in Black" and it will focus heavily on Roland or MIB, the 3rd trailer will do the same etc., so we get to know the 3 main players that will be in the movie.

The 2nd trailer will have very little to do with 'our world' at all and will introduce us more to Roland/MIB/Mid-World, and will have more of a tone we are familiar with, and will be the trailer the hardcore fans can sink their teeth into and SQUEEEEEEE about, although some of us already are.

It's will be almost like the doors on the beach this way, and I bet the trailers continue to be titled like the doors (The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows, The Pusher).

Its smart for them to start out with Jake because its easier to digest for the general public. Mid-World with all of its odds and ends would be a tough pill to swallow to try and attract an audience if that was the focus of the initial trailer. Its easier for them to start with a trailer that's 80% New York, and tease us a bit with the beast and a bit of shooting and tech-magicry so that people understand there's a little bit more going on, and draw them in.
    Two additional trailers, each from the POV of Roland and MiB would be genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Another comment, there is a voice in the trailer close to the end that says 'He destroys everything he touches.'

It's not Idris, Jake or MIB. It almost sounds like the guy that plays Luke Cage

Anyone have any insight who's voice/what character that is??
    Are you sure it's not Roland? The audio quality is not the best but it sounded like Elba to me. I need to go back and listen to it tho.

Yup. I know I've harped on this before, but the realities of cinema are harsh. Some of us (including myself) wanted unknowns in the role, but in casting two recognizable, award nominated/winning actors you've ensured that the general audience will at least have a baseline interest in the series. Expect the last trailers to heavily feature McConaissance and Elba.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Plus you have a confluence of the currently-all-the-rage genres of YA-ish sci-fi/fantasy and superhero movies, which this fits into pretty well. And of course the names don't hurt. And because everyone loves a franchise and a series nowadays, if you say this is based on a series of novels, even for a non-reader that means "lots of mythology = awesome" (see: current hit television series).

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Plus you have a confluence of the currently-all-the-rage genres of YA-ish sci-fi/fantasy and superhero movies, which this fits into pretty well. And of course the names don't hurt. And because everyone loves a franchise and a series nowadays, if you say this is based on a series of novels, even for a non-reader that means "lots of mythology = awesome" (see: current hit television series).
    Yeah plus people will be surprised that it is from Stephan King who is mostly only known for horror.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 170 of 254 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 ... LastLast