Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 254 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My thoughts on how the movie's looking so far - I'm keeping an open mind about it. I like the direction it's taking and that it won't be a direct adaptation. There's a lot of stuff in the books that could only work in the books, anyway. I am hoping they release - officially, I mean - an actual trailer soon. Us junkies looking online is all well and good, but they definitely need to bring as much attention to this movie as possible. What I certainly don't want to happen is what happened with Dredd - wait until 3 months before the film's release, and then really fuck up the promotion to one trailer, a few TV spots and a couple of posters. I really hope Sony knows how to draw attention to this movie. It'd be great to see more Tower junkies as a result of this movie.

I've gotta say, I'm really excited about McConaughey as the Man in Black. Gut feeling says he's gonna be a really great fit in this role.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've come around to this story. Still wished for something different but I'm really getting stoked for this. Like Dodge stated above I hope they do this right so they can continue on.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sony will want to market this movie hard. I think that's why they delayed it, not just for effects, but to properly market it. They basically went from announcing it's casting, to filming it, to it being out, in less than a year. They gave people a chance to pick up the books if they were interested, they give WOM time to spread. The Dark Tower has been featured on MANY top upcoming films lists. Sony should see the potential in this...a sprawling epic which will spans years and movies and TV shows and has pretty much something for everyone with it's western, sci-fi, fantasy, adventure, horror, action, romance angles. They can latch the trailers to Life which get a lot of exposure and with Spider-man: Homecoming out three weeks before and will make a ton of money, and they can really hammer this movie home to audiences then.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Whilst we do know that the film is set after the end of Book 7, do we know if the film will cover Roland's entire journey back to the tower or just part of the journey?

Assuming this is indeed his "last time around", I wonder how the rumoured follow-up films and TV shows fit into the storyline?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Other films are planned, so it's very likely just part of the journey.

I think it's all rather promising. I think I'm actually glad it's not a straight adaptation, as it's nice to see a stuff I haven't seen before... alhough I'm a bit concerned it will be a bit TOO different if that makes sense.

I really like the idea that it's (ending spoiler ahead)
    Spoiler:
    a later cycle,
    but I'm not so keen that it's apparently
    Spoiler:
    the last cycle.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im looking forward to it, obviously, but still wish for a straight adaptation! It the marketing department don't start by mid March I fear the film is gonna flop and get cut short with this "turn if the wheel" never being completed on screen. I still don't think I'm viewing this as TDT because it's not, it's like ordering T bone and getting rump, rumors ok but it ain't no T bone.... that's my 2c

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was really hoping for a GOT type approach to this project. New talent that could have played the story out over 7 or 8 seasons. Jake's age would have been an issue I suppose but you can't have a mirror image of the novels anyway. Stuff simply has to be changed for the "real" world if you will. I really want this to succeed but have a bad gut feeling about it.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Sony will want to market this movie hard. I think that's why they delayed it, not just for effects, but to properly market it. They basically went from announcing it's casting, to filming it, to it being out, in less than a year. They gave people a chance to pick up the books if they were interested, they give WOM time to spread. The Dark Tower has been featured on MANY top upcoming films lists. Sony should see the potential in this...a sprawling epic which will spans years and movies and TV shows and has pretty much something for everyone...
    I think you are way too optimistic. I predict the movie will come out, underperform (I don't want to say "flop" b/c best I can tell they haven't sunk all that much money into it to realize a loss--I'm sure it will turn a profit). I certainly don't see "years of movies and TV shows" unless you are talking about Sy-Fy or USA or F/X picking up the options on the cheap and churning out cheesy sequels. Or perhaps straight-to-video.

But maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a cornerstone franchise like the Spider-mans or The Avengers or something.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

All it really takes is for the film to catch on AFTER it's run in the theatres. If the movie is good and people talk it up, those who missed it will check it out later. I think the fact many publications have been basically pimping it out, most notably with a readership of around 2M in publication, let alone it's internet reach. There are a lot of King fans who work in positions to make this movie known to people. And, unlike IT, which has a fanbase of detractors from their memories of the miniseries, The Dark Tower is brand spanking new, with some big names attached to it.

I'm not expecting it to be a cornerstone franchise like Spider-man or The Avengers (the fanbases for super hero stuff is totally different), but I think The Dark Tower can nicely fill the void for the fantasy/epic franchise, since LOTR, Harry Potter (though it's kind of back now), Hunger Games, and The Hobbit have left since they've all wrapped up. Granted, The Dark Tower skewed older so returns won't be as high as the more kid friendly brands I mentioned, but it's so diverse of a story, if they market it right, they can attract an extremely large fan base. Divide and conquer. They need to make it appeal to fans of Westerns, fans of fantasy, fans of horror, fans of adventure, fans of action, fan of science fiction through targeted ad campaigns. Maybe they'll see a horror themed ad for it featuring Low Men or Sayre and not get enticed, but one themed on a gunslinger bent on revenge might entice them. To me, that's the advantage The Dark Tower has. There is something in there for everyone, and not too much of one thing really dominates the overall story.

We also can't forget that studios these days put a lot of stock in foreign markets, and they'll keep making unsuccessful films domestically (hello Ice Age, which brings in RIDICULOUS foreign box office!). I have no doubt The Dark Tower is well known enough around the entire world that it will match, if it not double the domestic box office. If they make 80M domestic and 80M internationally, we're getting a sequel. If it makes 60M domestic and 60M international we're getting a sequel. And the sequels also tend to have greater returns due to Word of Mouth.

Sony is desperate right now for a stable, profitable franchise and look at the films they have coming out this year...nothing resembling such a thing outside Jumanji/Smurfs. Well, except spider-man, but it's not all the way Sony either since that deal with Disney. In 2018 and 2019 they have a few more pre-established franchises which could die out at any time. Most of their franchises are family movies. Nothing for an older audience.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt, I gotta say I'm surprised to see you so optimistic about the franchise's potential future. Pleasantly surprised though.

I do agree that one of the good things the film will have going for it is its thematic diversity. It really does have a little bit of everything. Western, horror, fantasy, shoot em up action. Whether Arcel was able to adequately balance and incorporate all of those things into a compelling whole is what remains to be seen.

We're just a few months away, man. Just a few months away...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    ...one of the good things the film will have going for it is its thematic diversity. It really does have a little bit of everything. Western, horror, fantasy, shoot em up action...
    Let's hope it isn't seen as the next Cowboys & Aliens.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too. I thought he'd be trolling people by now. My hopes are at a realistic level at the moment. Like others have mentioned, my fear is that the film is actually good and yet nobody goes to see it.

I'm looking at you Edge of Tomorrow.

Sent from the mind of Still Servant.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    my fear is that the film is actually good and yet nobody goes to see it.
    Quite possibly a worse fate than the film being an abject failure.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, but not performing well despite it being good is something I'm worried about. I have to disagree with Matt, to an extent, at least, on one particular point:

All it really takes is for the film to catch on AFTER it's run in the theatres.
    Take it from a massive Dredd fan, Matt - as much as I hate to say it, how well it does in the theaters is a major point on whether it gets a sequel or not. Dredd sold really well on blu-ray and has built up a considerable cult fanbase just for the film, and yet all of that won't change the fact that it bombed spectacularly at the theaters (only making half of its budget back in US domestic, if I recall), which has given us no sequel almost 5 years later as a result. Now I'm hoping that the Dark Tower will be much, much better marketed than Dredd was and will earn decent box office revenue. Time will tell, anyway.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If it bombs in the U.S, we'll have to look across the Pacific towards China for hope. Pacific Rim did relatively bad at the domestic box office, but it was saved and a sequel secured based off the strong numbers China put up. Pacific Rim 2 is out later next year.

It won't be an ideal situation to be in for a potential franchise starter, but at least we'll have one final safety net if all else fails.

Let's not think that way though. The film will be great, the numbers will be solid, some snobby Rotten Tomatoes critic will say "Finally, Stephen King films get another tally in the win column", and we'll be able to see our favorite franchise through to the end.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm not so sure about that,
    Of course I prefer that the film is actually good, whether it succeeds in an economic sense or not. What I meant by my comment is that, if this adaptation is legitimately a stinker*, it will fail and it will be obvious as to why it failed. However, if it manages to stand on its own two feet as a cinematic work which also properly respects the spirit of The Dark Tower yet fails to secure a sequel because it underperforms where it matters most to those bigwigs wearing suits...that will be the greater tragedy.

* There is the outcome where people may find the film atrocious or "dumb" yet it manages to turn out a tidy profit because enough folks went to see it. Unlikely but not impossible.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Most definitely. I'm completely with you on everything you said.

Sent from the mind of Still Servant.

Country
    Country Flag

There are five days until the date when this film was previously moved back to, and a week until the nineteenth of this month. Can we get a polished/finished trailer on one of those days...pretty please?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There are five days until the date when this film was previously moved back to, and a week until the nineteenth of this month. Can we get a polished/finished trailer on one of those days...pretty please?
    It would have been nice to see something for the Super Bowl.

Country
    Country Flag

--- --- ---

It would have been nice to see something for the Super Bowl.
    Perhaps. Though...i'm not certain how feasible slotting the trailer in would have been (given the film's modest budget).

Country
    Country Flag

I've heard elsewhere that the trailer IS forthcoming. Apparently, there's a song related to it. Here it is -> https://open.spotify.com/track/1jrUE0nMCjKKxy0uCCqor0

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

HOLY C#! I never thought that Roland would appear on the Harkins yearbook cup. Hahaha.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

All it really takes is for the film to catch on AFTER it's run in the theatres.
    Take it from a massive Dredd fan, Matt - as much as I hate to say it, how well it does in the theaters is a major point on whether it gets a sequel or not. Dredd sold really well on blu-ray and has built up a considerable cult fanbase just for the film, and yet all of that won't change the fact that it bombed spectacularly at the theaters (only making half of its budget back in US domestic, if I recall), which has given us no sequel almost 5 years later as a result. Now I'm hoping that the Dark Tower will be much, much better marketed than Dredd was and will earn decent box office revenue. Time will tell, anyway.
    It actually only made 13M of it's 50M back domestically, and only made 35M worldwide, falling 15M short of it's budget (not including money spent on Publicity and Advertising). If Dark Tower bombed that bad I would not be surprised if it didn't get a sequel. But I don't see it falling much short of it's Production budget domestically, and I think the international dollars will bail out any low domestic return.

They have to be expecting this to be a word of mouth type movie and if they greenlight a sequel, they will be counting on people watching the first one on home release and then wanting to see the sequel. Look what that kind of buzz did for John Wick with over a 100% Box office increase from the sequels opening weekend.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But will international audiences eat up a dark fantasy Western? John Wick, I understand. Superheroes, I understand. Bruce Willis, I understand. But I don't see audiences in China and India and Indonesia, and Korea flocking to Roland's story. I'm thinking it will be "Oh, that black cowboy movie. No thanks."

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    ...I'm thinking it will be "Oh, that black cowboy movie. No thanks."
    A part of me fears you're right, but we have to cling to the hope that this film can draw in vast numbers based off the novelty factor alone.

I'm hoping it's less what you said, and more "Monsters and wizards and robots and six shooters and inter dimensional travel? sign me up."

We're fortunate that Game of Thrones has paved the way for mature, dark fantasy sagas to come to the forefront of public consciousness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 254 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 ... LastLast