Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 441 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My boss lent me Avatar, it's kinda funny really because she thinks we have the same taste but we completely don't, it's not even a movie that I have any interest in watching. The kids watched it with my husband and they enjoyed it - they being the kids, Rob fell asleep

I've just finished watching a British film, Happy-Go_Lucky, which is by director Mike Leigh. It's typical Leigh in that it essentially doesn't have a plot - he tends to make observations about ordinary people and their lives. To be honest I'm not generally a fan, but I loved this one for some reason. The actress in the main part was either inspired casting, or she's really like that in real life. It was dark in places, but mostly honest and...well, lovely really

I reserve 8, 9 and 10 for something really special and mind blowing - so when I give Happy-Go-Lucky a 7, it's a good 7.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't judge a book by its cover. Just because a movie looks like something you might not like, doesn't mean that will be the case after viewing it.

My mom had zero interest in Watching Avatar, but she gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it. Sure, it's sci-fi, but it deals with really life issues and is basically a story about love.

Extract 6/10

Well, it's no Office Space, but there's enough there to at least be worth watching. I really like Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, J.K. Simmons, Mila Kunis, and Ben Affleck (yes, I realize I'm the only person in the world that likes him) so that's mainly why I rented the film.

Unfortunately, the movie doesn't really use these actors to the best of their ability. Especially Wiig who seems really wasted here.

Rent it for the people in the film and just enjoy it for what it is.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to come right out and say it - I loved Avatar. All of this 'story isn't original' irritates the hell out of me. In that case, Dances with Wolves is just another re-imagining of Pocahontas. A Fistful of Dollars has has no value because it's an exact replica of Yojimbo. The Magnificent Seven deserves a low score because it's a western remake of Seven Samurai.

No, the story is not original. Has it ever been presented in this way before ? No. Seeing Avatar in 3D Imax is a theatrical experience I will not soon forget. Yes, the film occasionally feels too long for it's own good - but the production values, the immersion, the almost photo realistic CGI segments never seen before (I swear I almost felt as if I was peering over the cliffs myself at times), the embedded love story - all of these things assure Avatar a special place in my heart.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Default Re: ...

Shizzie, this is the first time we totally disagree with each other.

I see your point on originality. But I can't see Avatar as a re-imagined Pocahontas (and/or Princess Mononoke). The movie takes its all power from technical success. Nothing else special. That is why I find it so insincere. Like writing ''smoking kills'' on packs of cigarettes.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

We will definitely have to agree to disagree. Not retreading the same ground with the technical aspects, I'll just say that I was genuinely moved by the very tender, sincere relationship (within the context of the movie) that slowly developed between Jake and his Na'vi counterpart. The part where

Spoiler:
    she holds him in her arms as a human for the first time, as the general is attacking them with his mecha

was one of the films highlights.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Gosh, I can't tell you the last time I saw a totally original story/movie.

I mean, my friends are I are always laughing about how Star Wars is Lord Of The Rings is Harry Potter, etc. and they're all based on Greek myths!

My issues with Avatar are just that ... honestly, I got very bored with it being too cartoony and, again, to me - it looked like a video game, too much like a video game. It was nothing special.

Insert warning here - I am not a James Cameron fan, so I completely own that I went in with an attitude. I hated ( hated!! ) Titanic and thought it was just one of the worst movies ever. And the thing is - I loved ( loved!! ) T2 and Aliens, so have felt let down by JC since then.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Feev, don't get too bent out of shape. When something is as popular as Avatar, there will always be a bunch of people that rebel against it. That's just the way it is. I'm not sure why that happens, but it just does.

See Titanic. Like Turtlex, there are so many people who hate that movie for little or no reason. My sister is one of them. She liked it when it first came out, but now she hates it. I just don't get that.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I have many reasons for hating Titanic. The editing ( is there any editing? ), the horrible acting, the overly simplistic ( historically inaccurate ) script, the over-long theatrical cut. I've never been so happy to see a boat go down in my life ( and sincerely, that was the coolest scene in the movie ). Oh, yeah, and the complete lack of chemistry between the leads.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jeeze Pam, did something traumatic happen in our childhood that prompted your complete hatred for a movie about a sinking ship and hundreds of people dying? Like...a boating accident?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Oh, I have many reasons for hating Titanic. The editing ( is there any editing? ), the horrible acting, the overly simplistic ( historically inaccurate ) script, the over-long theatrical cut. I've never been so happy to see a boat go down in my life ( and sincerely, that was the coolest scene in the movie ). Oh, yeah, and the complete lack of chemistry between the leads.
    You don't think Kate and Leo had chemistry?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I second that question. Your other reasons for hating Titanic are (for the most part) valid, but I thought the chemistry between Leo and Kate was spot on.

As far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, if I wanted a history lesson, I'll watch The History Channel. I'm not saying that a film should throw the history book out the window and do their own thing. I'm just saying, I can enjoy a film even if it's not totally accurate.

Gladiator and Braveheart are two of my favorite films and they both have a ton of historical inaccuracies.

I tip my cap to you though Turtle, at least you have valid reasons for disliking it.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Jeeze Pam, did something traumatic happen in our childhood that prompted your complete hatred for a movie about a sinking ship and hundreds of people dying? Like...a boating accident?
    This would explain so much .. but oddly, that is not the case.

Have I mentioned that Jaws is one of my favorite films?!?

Actually, no I didn't. They're both engaging actors usually, though I'm not a big fan of Leo's - I can admit that he is good actor at times ( sidenote, I think he's a director's actor, he needs a good script and a good director to bring out his ability ).

Kate and Leo : I found their interaction rather stilted and it felt like to me, Leo was acting to the camera and Kate was usually tossing meaningful looks around.

And though I know it was the script ( which , I thought was horrible ) - but Kate was quite the swashbuckling Renaissance woman in that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I second that question. Your other reasons for hating Titanic are (for the most part) valid, but I thought the chemistry between Leo and Kate was spot on.

As far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, if I wanted a history lesson, I'll watch The History Channel. I'm not saying that a film should throw the history book out the window and do their own thing. I'm just saying, I can enjoy a film even if it's not totally accurate.

Gladiator and Braveheart are two of my favorite films and they both have a ton of historical inaccuracies.

I tip my cap to you though Turtle, at least you have valid reasons for disliking it.
    I agree, somewhat about the History Channel thing ... but another part of me says "if we know the facts, either give us the facts, or don't call it Titanic." That's where I ended up with that movie with regards to accuracy.

I mean Gladiator and Braveheart - those movies are intereptations of their particular times. So, I guess, someone could argue that they're accurate or not, because how can we know for certain?!? However with Titanic - we have some hard facts and details. It's hard to overlook those - at least it was for me.

Thanks, SS, and I tip my hats to all of us. Agree or not, I respect all your opinions and love reading your thoughts.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I mean, my friends are I are always laughing about how Star Wars is based on Greek myths!
    I was under the impression it was based on Christian myth
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Actually, no I didn't. They're both engaging actors usually, though I'm not a big fan of Leo's - I can admit that he is good actor at times ( sidenote, I think he's a director's actor, he needs a good script and a good director to bring out his ability ).

Kate and Leo : I found their interaction rather stilted and it felt like to me, Leo was acting to the camera and Kate was usually tossing meaningful looks around.

And though I know it was the script ( which , I thought was horrible ) - but Kate was quite the swashbuckling Renaissance woman in that movie!
    Interesting. You're the first person that I've heard say that. I love the two of them together. I think they make a wonderful combo. Have you seen Revolutionary Road? I know you're not a fan of Leo, but I think that is some of the best acting I've ever seen from him.

My Mood
    Gay

Hey Heather - No, I've not seen Revolutionary Road, but it is on my list of movies to see.

I don't hate Leo in everything, not at all. I liked DeCaprio in Blood Diamond, I liked him in The Beach ( And I liked that movie until Danny Boyle abandoned the picture into a video game - I don't think that worked at all ). I thought he was excellent in Basketball Diaries.

However - one that he's had raves for - I didn't like him The Aviator. I thought that was a complete lesson in overacting.

I just didn't like him, or Kate, in Titantic. For me, it just didn't work. I didn't feel it at all.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't help what I feel.

I'll be quite curious to hear your thoughts on it. I thought it was a very powerful film. And I haven't seen The Aviator yet so I can't comment on that one, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.

My Mood
    Gay

The thing I did like about The Aviator - excellent supporting cast.

I'll try to bump up RR, so I see it sooner than later - but I have a ton of movies to watch. Which is never a bad thing, at least not for me.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam, I'm with you - I thought Titanic was dreadful for all the same reasons you've stated. I loved Leo in The Beach and Kate in things like Hideous Kinky, so it's not that they can't act - but Titanic was so hammy it was painful.

SS, it's not the sci-fi aspect of Avatar that puts me off it - I love sci-fi/fantasy - it's just a combination of massive special effects and a war plot combined with a love story that just has me yawning. I'm just not a blockbuster type of girl, most films in the last couple of years working on that same premise have failed to interest me long enough to sit through the whole movie.

My Mood
    Gay

Lisa

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    No, not really. I rarely dislike a movie. The world in Avatar is beautiful, but I think it is not original. Somehow my mind associates creatures, places, even the story with Princess Mononoke. I don't say this is a fact. But Avatar world irritates me.
    Avatar was Pocahontas, in and out.
    I Agree 100%
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

The Brave: 7/10
    I loved acting, even children were great. Story is touching, scenery is beautiful. I also loved soundtrack. I had never thought Depp would be successful as a director. Now I see he is good at it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Date Night yesterday. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are two of my favorite people in the world and I love almost everything they do in movies/TV, so I was really looking forward to seeing this movie. Because I'm so used to them doing alot of improv and their own screenwriting on 30 Rock and The Office, I went in thinking it would be the same for Date Night. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Neither Tina nor Steve was affiliated with the script, and many of the good improv moments were included in the post-movie blooper reel.

Aside from the fact that the script wasn't as good as it could've been if Fey or Carell wrote it, and that it had a bit too much action for a comedy film, I really enjoyed it as a whole.

I'm giving it a 5.5-6/10, not because it was bad, but because it wasn't as good as it could've been. I'm sure I'll be getting the DVD when it comes out.

Plus, a good 10 minutes of audio was cut off in my theater due to speaker problems, so they gave me a free pass for another movie. Woo!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. You're the first person that I've heard say that. I love the two of them together. I think they make a wonderful combo. Have you seen Revolutionary Road? I know you're not a fan of Leo, but I think that is some of the best acting I've ever seen from him.
    Heather, what did you think of Revolutionary Road? I put that film off for a long time because the subject matter is so heavy, but I really liked it.

Great performances by Leo, Kate and a movie stealing (Oscar nominated) performance by Michael Shannon.

The film is kind of sad and super stressful, but I still liked it.

As far as The Aviator, I really did not like that film. I'm not really sure why, but I just could not get into that movie.

My Mood
    Gay

Couple of quick hits from this weekends movie viewing :

Billy Elliot - 10/10 This is a gem of a film and I loved it completely. Honestly, this is one of those feel-good films that is one of my favorites. Awesome performances by Jamie Bell as Billy and Julie Walters as his dance teacher. Julie Walters is a gift, really. She's wonderful.

A Time To Kill - 8/10 Is it wrong that I think this is Sandra Bullock's best performance? Matthew McConaughey's, too. Excellent cast. The script is a bit preachy, which is why the 8/10.

Changeling - 8/10 Excellent lead performance by Angelina Jolie, and good storytelling by director Clint Eastwood. Truly an under-rated film.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Heather, what did you think of Revolutionary Road? I put that film off for a long time because the subject matter is so heavy, but I really liked it.

Great performances by Leo, Kate and a movie stealing (Oscar nominated) performance by Michael Shannon.

The film is kind of sad and super stressful, but I still liked it.

As far as The Aviator, I really did not like that film. I'm not really sure why, but I just could not get into that movie.
    I loved it. But I agree it was probably one of the most depressing films I have ever seen. I know a lot of people that won't watch it because of that, but the acting in that film is so strong. I really think Leo should have been up for an Oscar for that role. He was definitely passed by that year.

Pam, I loved Changeling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 441 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast