Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 441 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Are you looking for new or old suspense? I find Rope a great deal of fun suspense, different from the usual type of suspense.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, for suspense ... you can't go wrong with Gaslight from 1944.

Oscar winner for Ingrid Bergman.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, both Rope and Under Suspicion look really good! Thanks for the suggestions.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    I just watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I loved the style that the camera had throughout the film. I really loved the use of mirrors and reflections.

10/10
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The whole film is a masterpiece in my opinion.
    You should check out The Lady from Shanghai. It wasn't the greatest film, but the last scene in the funhouse is truly phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Rebel Without A Cause - 6/10

While the film deals with universal themes that most can relate to - the misunderstanding of youth, the sometimes exasperating relationship between teenagers and their parents, the wanting to be accepted by your peers - the overly melodramatic way in which it most of the dialogue is delivered was often off putting and ruined immersion in pivotal moments.
    NO! Only a 6 I thought for sure that you were going to love it.
    What did you think of James Dean? That's the first time you've seen him right? It wasn't his acting that bothered you was it?

And I agree Pam. I'm loving all the classics love around here lately
    I've really been wanting to see Gaslight. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've only seen the 1940 version.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    2 / 10
    But it is enjoyable. And Robert Downey Jr.is really successful.
    Preface: Please realize that my post, while being a bit forward, is not aimed at attacking you or trying to stir up trouble, I just really don't know what happened with your score and all I have to go on so far is your number.

I think I've given this comment plenty of time to simmer before I say this: How has no one questioned your rating yet? Please tell me why you gave it a 2 out of 10 because I honestly don't understand it. If you dislike the Holmes stories, then I can see why you would hate this movie, but if you like Sherlock Holmes then there is no reason I've heard to dislike it. Sherlock Holmes was the best interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works yet. It had an original plot, yet it stuck to the characters, story conventions, and overall aesthetic of a Holmes novel better than any other live adaptation. I must reiterate: the character portrayals were perfect, down to the last word and movement. It even had multiple lines that were from various Holmes short stories and novels (example: "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!"). Guy Ritchie's direction was also fantastic: witty and quick banter between Holmes and Watson fit the stories perfectly, the way he uses camera angles and lighting, even the inclusion of the homosexual tension between Holmes and Watson as well as Holmes drug addictions; all of it molds together beautifully.

My rating of Sherlock Holmes: 10/10. And I don't give that score lightly.
    If you had trouble understanding Melike's rating of 2 for Sherlock Holmes, then I have trouble understanding your rating of 10/10.

I know we all have different interpretations of the rating system, but to me 10/10 means a classic film. A timeless film that can hold its place among the best films of all time.

If that's your interpretation, I just don't get it. To me Holmes is not a 2 but it's certainly not a 10. You seem to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to assume that's why you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but that's hardly the reason why I would give the film about a 5 or 6. The main reason is style over substance. The great thing about a mystery film is being able to play along with the protagonist. In Holmes, the story is so convoluted it's almost impossible to follow. Then in the end, it's all explained to the viewer with no real basis.

Downey and Law are great together and the setting is picture perfect, but the story is a downright mess.

I know everybody has different taste in film, but 10/10 for Sherlock Holmes seems a little much.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    If you had trouble understanding Melike's rating of 2 for Sherlock Holmes, then I have trouble understanding your rating of 10/10.

I know we all have different interpretations of the rating system, but to me 10/10 means a classic film. A timeless film that can hold its place among the best films of all time.

If that's your interpretation, I just don't get it. To me Holmes is not a 2 but it's certainly not a 10. You seem to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to assume that's why you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but that's hardly the reason why I would give the film about a 5 or 6. The main reason is style over substance. The great thing about a mystery film is being able to play along with the protagonist. In Holmes, the story is so convoluted it's almost impossible to follow. Then in the end, it's all explained to the viewer with no real basis.

Downey and Law are great together and the setting is picture perfect, but the story is a downright mess.

I know everybody has different taste in film, but 10/10 for Sherlock Holmes seems a little much.
    I hold the same rating system as you do. The books of Sherlock Holmes are considered to be classics, correct? And I think I've proven that the movie follows the formula and the design of the books perfectly. So, therefore, the movie is on par with the books. If the books are labeled one way, then I believe the movie should be labeled as such, as well.

The story is a downright mess? The story follows the exact same formula as the books! Every Holmes story plays out as such:
    Spoiler:
    adversary introduced, all things explained using paranormal phenomena, Holmes finds leads, adversary is caught, everything explained with science.
    It seems to me that you don't have a problem with the story's plot but with the original Holmes plots. Like I said: Guy Ritchie did a fantastic job with this film. It should stand alongside the books as being classic mystery tales.

And if it's any consolation: my friend and I both went to see the film together and guessed pretty much all of the plot at the same time that Holmes did, but we're also avid Holmes fans. When I started watching Dr. Who, I couldn't guess any of the mystery-based plots. But after watching a lot of episodes, I can now guess anything that's going to happen. It's all about how familiar you are with the material.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm not sure if I'm putting words in your mouth or not, but it seems like you're telling me that in order to enjoy the film you have to be a fan of past Sherlock Holmes material.

If that's the case, then Guy Ritchie failed miserably. As a director, you can't just aim to satisfy fans of Sherlock Holmes. You have to entertain the people who have never read a Sherlock Holmes book, seen a movie or TV show.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek. Before last summer, I had never seen one second of a Star Trek movie or TV show. That being said, I loved the new Star Trek film and thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year.

J.J. Abrams for the win.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm not sure if I'm putting words in your mouth or not, but it seems like you're telling me that in order to enjoy the film you have to be a fan of past Sherlock Holmes material.

If that's the case, then Guy Ritchie failed miserably. As a director, you can't just aim to satisfy fans of Sherlock Holmes. You have to entertain the people who have never read a Sherlock Holmes book, seen a movie or TV show.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek. Before last summer, I had never seen one second of a Star Trek movie or TV show. That being said, I loved the new Star Trek film and thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year.

J.J. Abrams for the win.
    I'm not saying that you have to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but I'm saying that if you're going to be critical of a movie, then you need to be understanding of the source material it came from. I have friends that had never read a Holmes novel that loved it, but they loved it for different reasons than Ryan (my friend who had read Holmes) and I did.

Just throwing this out there: I hate J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield was pretty good, as was Star Trek, but I hate what he did with Lost. I cannot forgive him for killing it. J.J. Abrams is a one-trick pony.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

J.J. Abrams has had little to nothing to do with Lost since its first season. Cuse and Lindleoff have taken over day-to-day operation of the show.

Besides a hiccup here and there, Lost has been a consistently good show in each season.

I didn't really care for Cloverfield, but I've liked everything else Abrams has created.

By giving Holmes a 10/10 you're basically saying it's one of your favorite films. Without knowing you, I'm saying you might be overrating it even among your own standards. Since I don't know what other films you think deserve a 10/10, I can't really make an accurate assessment.

My hunch is that there are a bunch of other movies you feel deserve a 10/10 over Holmes.

Country
    Country Flag

By giving Holmes a 10/10 you're basically saying it's one of your favorite films. Without knowing you, I'm saying you might be overrating it even among your own standards. Since I don't know what other films you think deserve a 10/10, I can't really make an accurate assessment.

My hunch is that there are a bunch of other movies you feel deserve a 10/10 over Holmes.
    There are very few things I care about as much as Sherlock Holmes, be it the old stories or the new movie (none of the other movies, though).

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just throwing this out there: I hate J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield was pretty good, as was Star Trek, but I hate what he did with Lost. I cannot forgive him for killing it. J.J. Abrams is a one-trick pony.
    EYYYYY!!!! Watch your writing! Lost is a little behind in my country... So, don´t mess with me!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post
    EYYYYY!!!! Watch your writing! Lost is a little behind in my country... So, don´t mess with me!
    Don't worry, I'm not going to drop any spoilers. I haven't liked Lost since the second or third season. Saying "J.J. Abrams killed it" isn't a new thing for me.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, you know - no one is ever going to agree 100% on any kind of rating system, we're all individuals, who look at movies through our own eyes and react to them ( hopefully ) on a very emotional level.

I saw where Feev rated Rebel Without A Cause at a 6/10 and I completely respect his appraisal of it. I also disagree ( ) and would give it a solid 8.5/10 myself.

Even judging techincal aspects of things is a personal matter. I find a lot of special effects that other people think are so great look too "video-game-like" for me. ( Basically - all of Avatar ) This would really bring my rating of a movie everyone else thinks is amazing - way down.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Basically - all of Avatar
    Don't forget the sub-par acting, script, casting, and soundtrack!

My Mood
    Gay

SS - Oh, I'm not forgetting.

Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Please don't get angry at me again, but I would give Avatar ''0''.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Also, if a CGI effect is used where a different effect would work, then the rating drops a bit. Sometimes you need real explosions or monsters in rubber suits or an actual shot from a helicopter.

<---Another plug for The Philadelphia Story--->
    Where else can you watch a movie with people from all over the world? Well, probably another website, but we're not on that site, we're on this one. So don't forget: Sat, 2 May 2010, 2:00 P.M. CST. Be there or be... be... be without Apple Jacks.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A zero? Damn, you're a hard grader. There are very few films that I would ever give a zero to. It would have to have no redeeming qualities.

At the very least Avatar created a beautiful world. That has to count for something. Even people who disliked Avatar at least give it that.

Heck, I loathed Southland Tales but I still would give it 2 out of 10.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you all don't mind if I say a few words about a film that I just happened to watch for the first time; The English Patient. This has to be a new contender for my tip five movies ever. Besides the amazing plot, camera (wow, has a desert ever looked more realistic in a movie), and acting, this film had feel of a classic love story, rivaling even the likes of Casablanca (if not passing it). I immediately wanted to go back and give the film another viewing. It's so multi-layed, that I'm sure it would retain all of its beauty. I give this film a 10/10. Fo those that haven't seen it, I strony recommend it!

The Man Who Knew Too Much - 7/10. A very strong film with some overall good scenes (how could one not love the Royal Albert Hall moments). I watched the 50's version with Doris Day and Stewart. Phenominal acting, but a bit predictable, not to mention the story ends a bit abrubtly.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

A zero? Damn, you're a hard grader. There are very few films that I would ever give a zero to. It would have to have no redeeming qualities.

At the very least Avatar created a beautiful world. That has to count for something. Even people who disliked Avatar at least give it that.

Heck, I loathed Southland Tales but I still would give it 2 out of 10.
    No, not really. I rarely dislike a movie. The world in Avatar is beautiful, but I think it is not original. Somehow my mind associates creatures, places, even the story with Princess Mononoke. I don't say this is a fact. But Avatar world irritates me.

Country
    Country Flag

No, not really. I rarely dislike a movie. The world in Avatar is beautiful, but I think it is not original. Somehow my mind associates creatures, places, even the story with Princess Mononoke. I don't say this is a fact. But Avatar world irritates me.
    Avatar was Pocahontas, in and out.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    I give this film a 10/10. Fo those that haven't seen it, I strony recommend it!
    I never really liked The English Patient, I remember nearly falling asleep and wanting the movie to end.

I just watched "The Lovely Bones". Having not read the book, I didn't know what to expect, and let me just say, what a strange film. The acting was good, Stanley Tucci was fantastic, and creepy, the CGI was cool, but the story just seemed to be long and dull. 6/10
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Avatar was Pocahontas, in and out.
    Ah yes.

My Mood
    Gay

As if I needed another reason to Melike.

Hmmm... what movie would I give a 0/10? That's hard for me - usually there is one small flashing second of something I enjoy so at least to give a movie a 1/10.

For instance ... Palmetto. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. But, there's one shot of Gina Gershon in these cute little overalls that is just enough for me to give it a 1/10. ( oh, and the scene with the typewriter in the river ... funny, but probably not intended to be - I guess that might push it to a 1.5/10 ).

Ah, English Patient. That is one of those movies, I swear either you love it or you hated it. Me? I felt it was over-long and would give it, maybe, a 5/10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 441 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast