Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 441 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 359 399 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Midsommar

Bizarre. Surreal. Horrific. Fascinating. You can saddle Midsommar with a never ending stream of adjectives, but not a single one can truly capture the artistry of this sun drenched nightmare and the imminent sense of doom hidden behind devilish smiles.

As many of you know, Midsommar is Ari Aster's sophomore film, a follow up to his breakout horror hit Hereditary. Whereas Hereditary dealt with malevolent forces that crept at night, here he puts horrors on display in broad daylight. Don't go in expecting a jump-scare galore, this film takes its time uncoiling its tendrils and I suspect it will try the patience of some.

I don't want to say too much more as its probably best to know as little as possible going into it. Suffice to say that it is a superbly acted, psychedelic, deeply disturbing (some scenes are not for the faint of heart) twisted story which dares to toy with the notion that one person's nightmare might be another's fairy tale.

Ari Aster has now cemented himself as a directorial powerhouse. Can't wait to see what horrors he'll fill my nightmares with next.

8.5/10
    ITs funny... here the guys seem to like it. It only got a C+ Cinescore and the couple I know seen it said that they have seen it done before and it was just.. MEH
    That's because Cinescore mostly collects from mainstream moviegoers. We are not mainstream moviegoers. The film sits in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, which collects reviews from critics.

People who do Cinema score probably loved the remake of Child's Play. Guaranteed.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I know going into it that Midsommar is definitely one of those films that will be like 85+ on critic score on RottenTomatoes with like 30-45% Audience Score. I'm actually surprised to see it's more even...83-61. Hmm, I expected a bigger disparity like The Witch or It Comes At Night.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Midsommar

Bizarre. Surreal. Horrific. Fascinating. You can saddle Midsommar with a never ending stream of adjectives, but not a single one can truly capture the artistry of this sun drenched nightmare and the imminent sense of doom hidden behind devilish smiles.

As many of you know, Midsommar is Ari Aster's sophomore film, a follow up to his breakout horror hit Hereditary. Whereas Hereditary dealt with malevolent forces that crept at night, here he puts horrors on display in broad daylight. Don't go in expecting a jump-scare galore, this film takes its time uncoiling its tendrils and I suspect it will try the patience of some.

I don't want to say too much more as its probably best to know as little as possible going into it. Suffice to say that it is a superbly acted, psychedelic, deeply disturbing (some scenes are not for the faint of heart) twisted story which dares to toy with the notion that one person's nightmare might be another's fairy tale.

Ari Aster has now cemented himself as a directorial powerhouse. Can't wait to see what horrors he'll fill my nightmares with next.

8.5/10
    ITs funny... here the guys seem to like it. It only got a C+ Cinescore and the couple I know seen it said that they have seen it done before and it was just.. MEH
    That's because Cinescore mostly collects from mainstream moviegoers. We are not mainstream moviegoers. The film sits in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, which collects reviews from critics.

People who do Cinema score probably loved the remake of Child's Play. Guaranteed.
    No it’s not... look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I know going into it that Midsommar is definitely one of those films that will be like 85+ on critic score on RottenTomatoes with like 30-45% Audience Score. I'm actually surprised to see it's more even...83-61. Hmm, I expected a bigger disparity like The Witch or It Comes At Night.
    The reality is that the average moviegoer doesn't have the patience for films like these. I think we all know this.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Midsommar

8.5/10

What am I supposed to look up? Cinemascore asks people on the way out of the movie theater. Most of those people are what we call mainstream moviegoers. It's not a dirty word. It's just facts.

If you refer to Mark Ruffalo as the guy who plays Incredible Hulk, you're a mainstream moviegoer.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Midsommar

8.5/10

What am I supposed to look up? Cinemascore asks people on the way out of the movie theater. Most of those people are what we call mainstream moviegoers. It's not a dirty word. It's just facts.

If you refer to Mark Ruffalo as the guy who play Incredible Hulk, you're a mainstream moviegoer.
    Sigh... never mind
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

My point was they both have the exact same CinemaScore. So your point made no sense.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The new "Hellboy" was fun & entertaining, if you love monsters and such. Perlman, was sorely missed though. Even though the replacement gave it the old college try. 3 out of 6 beers IMHO

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My point was they both have the exact same CinemaScore. So your point made no sense.
    Either I'm not understanding you or you're not understanding me.

Midsommar has a C+ CinemaScore. I was off but Midsommar has 82% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is still quite high. I'm not following you when you say they have the same score. If you're referring to Hereditary, it has a D+, which is laughable.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Crawl:

Terrific "B" movie. What sounds like a laughable premise, (combine giant alligators and a category 5 hurricane) actually works. Though somewhat predictable, there are plenty of good jump scares, very good special effects, good direction, and competent acting. The filmmakers aren't afraid to kill off almost any character.
    The movie is played straight as a drama (no dark or quirky humor).

4/6 beers on the RFSRS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    The new "Hellboy" was fun & entertaining, if you love monsters and such. Perlman, was sorely missed though. Even though the replacement gave it the old college try. 3 out of 6 beers IMHO
    You know, I kinda regret not catching this in theaters. Yeah I know it was wrecked by critics but I love the character and the mythos. Oh well, guess I'll wait for Netflix to pick it up.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Crawl:

Terrific "B" movie. What sounds like a laughable premise, (combine giant alligators and a category 5 hurricane) actually works. Though somewhat predictable, there are plenty of good jump scares, very good special effects, good direction, and competent acting. The filmmakers aren't afraid to kill off almost any character.

4/6 beers on the RFSRS
    Very suprising on how good it actually was, very enjoyable and a fun summer movie.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Midsommar was quite amusing but I still think Hereditary is better. Not sure if I should post this here or in the general movie conversation thread but this is a long video essay about Hereditary and damn! It is superb....

I did have a question about Midsommar and it's kind of gross but it was part of the film so....
    spoiler

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I did have a question about Midsommar and it's kind of gross but it was part of the film so....
    spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Correct, she was saving the blood as part of the ritual. If you remember she also placed some kinda of token or w/e under his bed so he could fall further under her spell. All part of their batshit crazy rituals.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I finally got around to watching The Silence last night, and you guys were right. I was a bit disappointed with it. The book was so good, I was really looking forward to this one. I didn't hate it, but it was a bit forgettable. For those that have seen the movie and not read the book I would highly encourage you to go read the story, it's a million times better.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Crawl:

4/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I can't wait to see it. It looks like a lot of fun. Glad to hear it delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I finally got around to watching The Silence last night, and you guys were right. I was a bit disappointed with it. The book was so good, I was really looking forward to this one. I didn't hate it, but it was a bit forgettable. For those that have seen the movie and not read the book I would highly encourage you to go read the story, it's a million times better.
    I kind of figured you wouldn't love it, especially since you read the book first. Yeah, it wasn't great. The book is on my to-read list, though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Definitely read the book, it was so good. It also makes me wonder why writers and directors opt to change certain things from the book. I understand why it might be necessary on some occasions, but when it's not it baffles me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I don't get it either. People love books for a reason, then they change everything people loved about about the book for the movie. Like you said, I can understand when some things are changed because they wouldn't translate as well to screen, but some adaptations are just so wildly different from the source material that it's barely an adaptation.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Lion King
    We saw it in 3D IMAX. I liked it better than the original. Beautiful cinematography. Graphics were amazing.
    5/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Crawl:

4/6 beers on the RFSRS
    Very suprising on how good it actually was, very enjoyable and a fun summer movie.
    I agree with all this. I went to see it on RF's advice and was happy I did. I FAWKIN hate when movies put in silly humor... takes you out of the moment and this movie did not do that.. at all and I loved it for it. I was tense the whole time. They also didn't try and make an alligator the largest ever and it felt very real because of that. Well done.... 8/10
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Toy Story 4
    A fitting coda and great thematic closing of the loop for the entire franchise.
    8/10

Cold Souls
    An interesting premise on the nature of souls and uniqueness that unfortunately doesn't drill deep enough.
    6/10

Nocturnal Animals
    An engrossing revenge tale that favors style over substance and which could have benefited from a stronger payoff.
    7/10

Country
    Country Flag

Nocturnal Animals was a good one. I remember finishing and wanting a little more, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Lion King

Once you get past the technical wonder of the photo realism, you realize that it's a soulless venture outmatched by its predecessor in every single way. The voice actors phone it in, the musical numbers are devoid of the zest and vibrancy of the original, and the movie is just flat out boring. There is a significant advantage in animation as the characters are able to display emotional, enabling us to connect with them. There is no such connection to be found here as all the animals can manage is to move their lips.

Despite the probability that this film rakes in huge amounts of cash for Disney, it might be a pivotal moment in the way they approach future 'real life' adaptations. Hopefully for the better. In the words of Ian Malcolm "they were so busy preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

4/10

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Lion King

Once you get past the technical wonder of the photo realism, you realize that it's a soulless venture outmatched by its predecessor in every single way. The voice actors phone it in, the musical numbers are devoid of the zest and vibrancy of the original, and the movie is just flat out boring. There is a significant advantage in animation as the characters are able to display emotional, enabling us to connect with them. There is no such connection to be found here as all the animals can manage is to move their lips.

Despite the probability that this film rakes in huge amounts of cash for Disney, it might be a pivotal moment in the way they approach future 'real life' adaptations. Hopefully for the better. In the words of Ian Malcolm "they were so busy preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

4/10
    It's already made 700M worldwide. Disney isn't going change how they approach their live action remakes. This thing will probably reach 1.3-1.5B worldwide.

It's like the saying goes, you don't analyze wins.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know. And of course I'm also part of the problem. I knew that the film was a soulless cash grab well before I went into it, but the curiosity got the better of me. That, and the Lion King is my all time favorite Disney movie. Was curious to see the differences.

Disney doesn't care though, in the end they got my money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 441 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 359 399 ... LastLast