Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 337 of 441 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 335 336 337 338 339 347 387 437 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to seeing Fighting With My Family.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A Star is Born

Saw this with my daughter & wife and we all thought it to be a real disappointment. The acting was uninspired, Bradley Cooper was terrible and seemed to be impersonating, Sam Elliot. The musix was so-so and Lady Gaga was just "OK". It's been done before and much better in our opinion. We were all wishing for, Babs!!! lol lol

1.0 on the RFSRS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

'Todos los saben' (Everybody Knows). In Spanish with English subtitles:

A kidnapping mystery taking place outside Madrid Spain, the movie brings together an extended family for a wedding in a small village where the family patriarch once owned most all of the land, but sold (or gambled) most of the property away. Penelope Cruz travels from Argentina with her daughter and son to attend the wedding. Conspicuously absent is her husband. The large wedding is interrupted by a power failure (intentional?), and rain, but a great time is had by all...until the discovery that a family member has been kidnapped.

Secrets are revealed (Everybody Knows) in this beautifully shot, but languid mystery that reveals too much too soon, has too many red herrings (family members as suspects), and concludes with an answer that can be foreseen, but which provides no thrill.

Javier Bardem as Paco-Cruz's young lover who now is asked to provide the ransom money, shows a side of himself that is seldom seen.

3.5/6 Cervezas on the RFSRS.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Fighting With My Family: Being a wrestling fan, I've been following this movie through production for the past two years. I wasn't sure what to make of the decision to make a film on Paige, especially since how turbulent her personal life and her relationship with WWE was at the time, and the fact that she was never a massive superstar...it felt like an odd choice. But knowing that it was The Rock who wanted to make this film since he saw the documentary on the Knight Family and it reminded him of his own life growing up in a wrestling family. In terms of accuracy, it's pretty damn accurate. It kind of skips over her entire run in NXT (in real life, the portion of the film that was NXT was really Florida Championship Wrestling before WWE rebranded it, and the Performance Center where Paige trained didn't exist yet) including her run as the first NXT women's champion. She was earmarked for success for a couple years before she debuted in her first match on Raw after Wrestlemania 30, but I get why the film would want to keep that underdog narrative going up until the climax. You've got to take some creative liberties like that.

The performances were all good. I especially liked Jack Lowden, who played Paige's brother Zak. The scene where he spoke with Hutch (Vince Vaughn) was probably the strongest scene in the film. Vaughn by the way was very good. He easily could've been a cheesy inspirational figure, but he was tough and realistic. I think he had the toughest role to play in the movie just because if you dialed his character a little more in either direction, it wouldn't have worked. Frost and Headey were great as the father and mother. Pugh as Paige did a really good job, and she looks enough like her that you could buy into her as Paige.

All in all, an extremely enjoyable movie I'll probably watch numerous times. I thought it handled the dramatic aspects of the film really well, especially Zak's side of the story. I think you could watch this even if you're not a wrestling fan, but being one will allow you to appreciate the movie on a deeper level, especially if you've followed Paige's career for any length of time. They do a good job of explaining the business in small chunks that don't feel like they they're teaching you, for those who know next to nothing. I highly recommend it, but I can't guarantee non-wrestling fans will like it.

4/5

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

How to Train Your Dragon III. Loved it fun for the family. Good laughs and story. 4/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    A Star is Born

Saw this with my daughter & wife and we all thought it to be a real disappointment. The acting was uninspired, Bradley Cooper was terrible and seemed to be impersonating, Sam Elliot. The musix was so-so and Lady Gaga was just "OK". It's been done before and much better in our opinion. We were all wishing for, Babs!!! lol lol

1.0 on the RFSRS
    A 1!?!

I'm shocked anyone would dislike the film that much. Cooper was fantastic, as was Lady Gaga. Did your wife and daughter dislike it as much as you did? Yes, it's been done before, but it's been universally liked by both critics and audiences.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Can You Ever Forgive Me? Loved it. Melissa McCarthy was great and deserved her Oscar nomination. As a bibliophile and reader, it is almost a must watch. 4/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Can You Ever Forgive Me? Loved it. Melissa McCarthy was great and deserved her Oscar nomination. As a bibliophile and reader, it is almost a must watch. 4/6
    I loved this movie. The real life person was pretty damn smart. Melissa was great and I rooted for her character throughout. 4/6
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    I loved this movie. The real life person was pretty damn smart. Melissa was great and I rooted for her character throughout. 4/6
    She's miserable, but you can't help but root for her. I love how doing something morally wrong and illegal rekindled her love for writing. The money was nice, but she truly embraced the creative outlet of forgery.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw Uncle Drew, which is about 5 elderly (70s-ish) former street basketball players returning to the court for a last hurrah. It starred 1 current NBA player (Kyrie Irving, as Uncle Drew) and 4 former NBA players (Shaq as Big Fella, Reggie Miller as Lights, Chris Webber as Preacher, Nate Robinson as Boots).

I always enjoyed the Pepsi commercials on which this was based (yes, based on soda commercials), but the question was, could it hold up for a full movie? For me, it did; the other characters had just enough background to make things amusing, and the plot (reuniting for a game) was simple enough to allow funny things here and there (the somewhat blind Lights driving a car under emergency circumstances and miming tying a rope; Preacher's time-out joke; most things involving Big Fella). Was it great cinema? No, but I enjoyed myself.

Fun fact:
    Nick Kroll (who plays annoying enemy coach/player Mookie in Uncle Drew) has now appeared in two (of which I'm aware, anyway) things based on TV commercials: Uncle Drew, as well as the TV show Cavemen (which was based on the caveman-oriented Geico insurance commercials). I freakin' loved Cavemen, but I may have been the only one.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw Isle Of Dogs.

It was a typical Wes Anderson film: odd story, symmetrical and/or colorful shots, noted actors delivering flat dialogue.

I loved it. You'll probably feel about it how you feel about other Wes Anderson films (assuming you've seen some).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Old Man and the Gun: A nice and enjoyable film. Lowery's direction definitely helped elevate the material. Really it's a movie about Redford being really charming and charismatic, and since the film hinges on his performance, the film plays really well. The supporting cast all do what they must to support the film around Redford. Tom Waits was my favourite supporting performance. The story he told was the best laugh of the movie. The montage near the end of the film was a highlight. The ending was a nice little homage to The Silence of the Lambs. Seeing only the aftermath of a certain robbery was a great touch too. Not a fantastic movie, but I was glad I watched it. I might even watch it again one day.

4/5

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Old Man and the Gun: A nice and enjoyable film. Lowery's direction definitely helped elevate the material. Really it's a movie about Redford being really charming and charismatic, and since the film hinges on his performance, the film plays really well. The supporting cast all do what they must to support the film around Redford. Tom Waits was my favourite supporting performance. The story he told was the best laugh of the movie. The montage near the end of the film was a highlight. The ending was a nice little homage to The Silence of the Lambs. Seeing only the aftermath of a certain robbery was a great touch too. Not a fantastic movie, but I was glad I watched it. I might even watch it again one day.

4/5
    I enjoyed it as well, but it falls in the good not great category. I thought it was super short. I would have liked to have more scenes with Spacek and Redford. I thought their chemistry was great. I also thought Casey Affleck was wasted here. Kind of reminded me of Bradley Cooper's role in The Mule.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have that on my Netflix queue, it's number 2-3 up next. Maybe this weekend.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

4/5
    I enjoyed it as well, but it falls in the good not great category. I thought it was super short. I would have liked to have more scenes with Spacek and Redford. I thought their chemistry was great. I also thought Casey Affleck was wasted here. Kind of reminded me of Bradley Cooper's role in The Mule.

Yeah, they were similar, but I think Affleck came out of it looking better. I loved that scene as he was coming out of the bathroom. I kind of like that they set him up to be a typical lonely cop who has nothing more to give him purpose than catching the bad guy, but then we see right after that he has a wife and kids. He didn't have much to do, but he felt to have some realistic depth as an actual person.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Allow me to say I was wrong.
    So wrong.
    Into the Siderverse was the best animated/cartoon whatever you call it... I have ever seen. I cannot believe how good that was and I thank all you here that told me to see it. It was like watching a comic book movie as a comic book. 9.5/10 and maybe even a 10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    So wrong.
    Into the Siderverse was the best animated/cartoon whatever you call it... I have ever seen. I cannot believe how good that was and I thank all you here that told me to see it. It was like watching a comic book movie as a comic book. 9.5/10 and maybe even a 10!

Ladies and gentleman, this is how you do it. There's nothing wrong with saying you were wrong about something. Too often on the internet, we see people sticking to their guns just to be right about something.

So glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate that you gave the film a chance.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    So wrong.

Ladies and gentleman, this is how you do it. There's nothing wrong with saying you were wrong about something. Too often on the internet, we see people sticking to their guns just to be right about something.

So glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate that you gave the film a chance.
    I’m glad I did and I listened. Thanks

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Greta:

A stalker movie that starts out tense, and eventually becomes laughable. Hard to suspend disbelief when the bad person is all of 5' tall and 97 pounds. People in the theater were chuckling when a person escapes the room she's held in and proceeds to run down into the basement-not a great escape route.
    3/6 on the RFSRS.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So this is sorta rating, I guess. Inspired by Mike's use of Letteboxd I have been spending quite a lot of time there compiling lists of my favorite movies of each year and ranking them from 1 to 30. It's been a really fun experience thus far and I've done every year from 1980 to 2018: https://letterboxd.com/maemiddleton/lists/by/name/

Coming up with 30 films per year during the 1980s or even the 1990s is pretty easy, but it gets progressively more difficult, and by the time we're in the 2010s, and especially the last 5-6 years, there have been so many great movies released that it's super hard to leave off anything that's special in its own way. But I also feel 30 is a good number and I don't want to expand to 40 or 50 (or 100, for that mater) in these recent years, even though I technically could.

I'll take a break now from making these lists since it's been a lot of work, but I'll be back later and keep going back in time into past years.

Would love to debate these rankings with anyone here but keep in mind film is art and art is always highly subjective. Also, they're subject to change and never set in stone (I went back through the threads here where I'd posted my annual or decade lists in recent years and there have been some adjustments from then, having seen and re-watched more movies).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Letterboxd and I'm constantly telling people about it. Anyone who has even a passing interest in putting lists together should check it out.

Your lists are fantastic and very eclectic. You've put a lot of time and energy into compiling those lists, which is pretty awesome.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Letterboxd and I'm constantly telling people about it. Anyone who has even a passing interest in putting lists together should check it out.

Your lists are fantastic and very eclectic. You've put a lot of time and energy into compiling those lists, which is pretty awesome.
    The site is great and I have been spending a lot of time on it, looking at people's lists and reading reviews. I noticed reviews on Letterboxd tend to be very sarcastic and non-sequitur which is weird and often not helpful, but some great reviewers and critics are on here so it's all good.

Yeah I have a weird taste in movies and I like odd and strange movies most of all. I would imagine my most controversial pick is having Identity as my number one film of 2003. I completely stand by that choice, too. I wish I could eloquently and intelligently write about film, but that's a skill I sorely lack. All I can say is it's a unique film that I must have first seen at the right time and during the right circumstances, and it's seared itself into my brain. I like movies like that.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

The site is great and I have been spending a lot of time on it, looking at people's lists and reading reviews. I noticed reviews on Letterboxd tend to be very sarcastic and non-sequitur which is weird and often not helpful, but some great reviewers and critics are on here so it's all good.

Yeah I have a weird taste in movies and I like odd and strange movies most of all. I would imagine my most controversial pick is having Identity as my number one film of 2003. I completely stand by that choice, too. I wish I could eloquently and intelligently write about film, but that's a skill I sorely lack. All I can say is it's a unique film that I must have first seen at the right time and during the right circumstances, and it's seared itself into my brain. I like movies like that.
    I'm so glad you mentioned Identity. As I was looking at your lists, that one certainly stood out to me. I made a mental note to mention it to you, but forgot. It's one those films that has completely been forgotten over the years.

I have a very specific memory attached to that film. It was my final year in college and I was only taking a few classes while working on campus in the Video Production Studio. Often times, I would have classes in the morning and then would go across town to catch a movie, before heading back to campus to work at the studio at night.

I remember catching Identity one afternoon and one of the main reasons the film stands out to me is the fact that I was the only person in the theater. I think that was the first time that had ever happened to me. Ironically, I saw Happy Death Day 2U today and I was the only person in the theater. Now that I think about it, that might have been the first time that's happened to me since Identity.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never had a theater to myself. The closest I've come in me and three other people. One day, though. One day.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Identity is a solid genre pick. It's very well done and an interesting concept for a film. It definitely wouldn't be in my top 10 for 2003 though. There were too many good movies that year. Top 20, maybe. I don't really have the patience to make lists though. Even if I take a few hours to make it up and write them down and rank them, it's going to have to be changed in a few years anyways, as my tastes change, as I see new movies from that year or decade...My top ten for the 2000's that I made here years ago would be so very different now...save for the first two movies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 337 of 441 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 335 336 337 338 339 347 387 437 ... LastLast