Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 441 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 331 339 379 429 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,225 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:

I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.

3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).
    Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    That's a good one too. It kind of flew under the radar.

At first I was legit going to use that line without thinking, but now I'm going to say pun intended.
    Agreed. Crimson Tide is probably the best, but Black Sea is second for me. Really surprised with it because of the acting, drama, atmosphere, and how they persevere through it all.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Hunter Killer:

I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.

Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    Is it too hacky to mention Red October? Is one of my all time faves. Crimson Tide is so great too. Incredible cast.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I forgot about Red October. OK. Top 3 then
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Halloween ( 2018 )

Like many here, I adore the original Halloween. I haven't watched many of the others, but mostly because I haven't felt the urge to. I've seen 2, and that was ok. It was advertised as "More of the Night HE came home!", which basically translated as "More of the same, but with added gore following recent slashers." I've also seen 4, which was a respectable effort, and Rob Zombie's remake, which was less so. But I was super excited about this year's one, ever since Jamie Lee Curtis's tweet over a year ago.

My expectations were really high with this one. But honestly, this film didn't match them - it exceeded them. Frankly, I was incredibly impressed. Yes, it was inspired a lot by the original film, but it avoided being an easy copy of it. Laurie's character in particular was especially fantastic. One problem with two was because it was set on the same night, there was no room for development with Laurie's character, and when Michael came after her, we got a repeat of the incredibly tense final moments of the original film, but this time, at a hospital. The problem with trying to follow the success of the original film too closely is that there are inevitably going to be unfavorable comparisons as a result.

So I love that Laurie was a lot more badass in this one. Like Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, it's a very different portrayal, but it's also one that makes a lot of sense. Adjusting the mythology so that one key piece of Halloween mythology from 2 onwards has been thrown out was definitely an improvement.

I also love how scary Michael is once more. I like how a key theme with this movie is that so many are trying so hard to make Michael seem human, but he's anything but. You can't rationalize what he is. He might not be a supernatural monster (maybe), but he's nothing like the rest of us. I like that, once again, Michael is a force of nature.

Overall, Halloween was a great followup to the original film, and my favorite one of the many sequels and remakes out there. Nothing will ever beat the original, but this new take was definitely strong.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more people talk about Bad Times at the El Royale. I feel like this one is falling under the radar. I think it's one of the more fresh, stylish films of the year with a kickass cast and a breakout performance from Cynthia Erivo. The film is directed by Drew Goddard, who directed the fantastic Cabin in the Woods. If you didn't know any better you would think El Royale was directed by Tarantino or the Coen brothers.

Check it out in theaters if you can, if not, don't miss it when it comes out for rent.
    It received tepid reviews, and at 2 hours and 21 minutes, (3 hours with previews) I just haven't been compelled to see it.
    Hunter Killer:

I want to see both films, but I suppose I'll have to wait for the DVD. Not in a position to visit a theater these days!!!

Sure would like it if I had some really nice guy shipping great films right to my door that I could then just stick into the ol' DVD player and view away!!! Right, RF????? lol J/K lol

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

mid90s:

Certainly a movie made with personal love and passion. The soundtrack (mostly obscure but popular tracks from the time-guided and aided by some original stuff from Trent Reznor) is tres cool.

Plot: Skimpy early teen boy constantly having his ass kicked by older brother, ignored by his (possibly hooker) mom, finds identity hanging with a skateboard group. Being the youngest "apprentice" he succeeds in finding a small identity for himself. Sappy ending actually dropped .5 beers off of my rating, but movie was brief and thus never really dragged.

3.5 beers on the RFSRS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Halloween ( 2018 )

Like many here, I adore the original Halloween. I haven't watched many of the others, but mostly because I haven't felt the urge to. I've seen 2, and that was ok. It was advertised as "More of the Night HE came home!", which basically translated as "More of the same, but with added gore following recent slashers." I've also seen 4, which was a respectable effort, and Rob Zombie's remake, which was less so. But I was super excited about this year's one, ever since Jamie Lee Curtis's tweet over a year ago.

My expectations were really high with this one. But honestly, this film didn't match them - it exceeded them. Frankly, I was incredibly impressed. Yes, it was inspired a lot by the original film, but it avoided being an easy copy of it. Laurie's character in particular was especially fantastic. One problem with two was because it was set on the same night, there was no room for development with Laurie's character, and when Michael came after her, we got a repeat of the incredibly tense final moments of the original film, but this time, at a hospital. The problem with trying to follow the success of the original film too closely is that there are inevitably going to be unfavorable comparisons as a result.

So I love that Laurie was a lot more badass in this one. Like Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, it's a very different portrayal, but it's also one that makes a lot of sense. Adjusting the mythology so that one key piece of Halloween mythology from 2 onwards has been thrown out was definitely an improvement.

I also love how scary Michael is once more. I like how a key theme with this movie is that so many are trying so hard to make Michael seem human, but he's anything but. You can't rationalize what he is. He might not be a supernatural monster (maybe), but he's nothing like the rest of us. I like that, once again, Michael is a force of nature.

Overall, Halloween was a great followup to the original film, and my favorite one of the many sequels and remakes out there. Nothing will ever beat the original, but this new take was definitely strong.
    I didn't quite love it as much as you did, but I agree with you on some of the things they got right. Especially making Michael scary again by making him completely unpredictable was very important to me. The scene where he
    Spoiler:
    kills the kid in the car
    was one of those, "Oh shit, he's not fucking around!" moments.

I also agree with you, it's probably the best Halloween film since the original. Not necessarily hard to do, but still.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bohemian Rhapsody:

Viewed in IMAX with Dolby Atmos sound.

Enjoyable biopic that fudges with timelines and facts, but still is compelling. Sound is fantastic, and ending the movie with the full Queen performance (~20-24 minutes) at the Live Aid concert is a stroke of genius, as is using Mercury's voice for songs throughout the movie (Rami Malek lip synced).

4.5 beers on the RFSRS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally got around to seeing Halloween. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Green's direction was magnificent. Some gorgeous shots in there and some creative ones too. I would've preferred if the story were a little bit more Laurie centric. It wasn't that I minded it also focusing on her daughter and her grand-daughter, but there were scenes with other characters which kind of took me out of it, especially ones with short-lived people. I'll give more thoughts in my review that I'll have up in a day or two.

4/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Overload. WOW. Not at all what I expected from the previews! Loved every min of it and hope to see it become a franchise. The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. It’s the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan. Oh my was it ever Intense. 9/10 and maybe even a 9.5/10. Go see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Bohemian Rhapsody:

Viewed in IMAX with Dolby Atmos sound.

Enjoyable biopic that fudges with timelines and facts, but still is compelling. Sound is fantastic, and ending the movie with the full Queen performance (~20-24 minutes) at the Live Aid concert is a stroke of genius, as is using Mercury's voice for songs throughout the movie (Rami Malek lip synced).

4.5 beers on the RFSRS
    Seeing it tonight! Glad to hear they used Freddie’s voice.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

I thought Halloween was good. I think what I liked the most was how simple they kept it. Felt like an old horror movie, even a little grindhouse at times. Music and sound effects were great.

Spoiler:
    Favorite part was when Michael appeared from behind the gate after killing the granddaughter’s friend (who he hung on the gate by his lower jaw). The treatment to the original score there was awesome.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A Private War:

Tells the tale of famous war correspondent Marie Colvin (of eye patch fame), as portrayed by Rosamund Pike. Addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, but most of all addicted to telling the stories of of how war impacts civilians-primarily woman and children. This passion/addiction results in Colvin experiencing PTSD, and ultimately costs her her life. A very compelling biopic.

5/6 Beers on the RFSRS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I finally got around to seeing Halloween. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Green's direction was magnificent. Some gorgeous shots in there and some creative ones too. I would've preferred if the story were a little bit more Laurie centric. It wasn't that I minded it also focusing on her daughter and her grand-daughter, but there were scenes with other characters which kind of took me out of it, especially ones with short-lived people.
    Agree with everything you said, Matt. I would've preferred to just get rid of the "new group of teenagers being hunted by Michael" angle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Overload. WOW. Not at all what I expected from the previews! Loved every min of it and hope to see it become a franchise. The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. It’s the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan. Oh my was it ever Intense. 9/10 and maybe even a 9.5/10. Go see this
    That good, huh? The trailers haven't done anything for me. Maybe it'll be a DVD rental.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Overlord: Both more and less than what I was expecting. I was expecting there to be more of a 'zombie' feel to it, but there wasn't. There was a strong WWII feel to it though, and the characters were just developed enough and acted just well enough to really support the material. The opening sequence was really well done. The cast of relative newcomers impressed me quite a bit here. I'm mixed on what to give it. I appreciate the fact the film had a more deliberate pace than I was expecting and that it allowed time for the characters to make their mark, but I was also hoping for something more over-the-top than Overlord ended up being. A case of not quite getting what I wanted, but still enjoying what I got.

4/5

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yesterday was "Watch Movies All Day" Day

Christopher Robin - 4 out of 5
    Adam Sandler: 100 Percent Fresh - 3 out of 5
    Against The Night - 1 out of 5
    Blackkklansman - 4 out of 5
    Edge Of Fear - 2 out of 5
    Nun - 2 out of 5
    Searching - 5 out of 5

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Overlord: Both more and less than what I was expecting. I was expecting there to be more of a 'zombie' feel to it, but there wasn't. There was a strong WWII feel to it though, and the characters were just developed enough and acted just well enough to really support the material. The opening sequence was really well done. The cast of relative newcomers impressed me quite a bit here. I'm mixed on what to give it. I appreciate the fact the film had a more deliberate pace than I was expecting and that it allowed time for the characters to make their mark, but I was also hoping for something more over-the-top than Overlord ended up being. A case of not quite getting what I wanted, but still enjoying what I got.

4/5
    What about that plane scene in the start though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. It’s the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.
    That's some big talk right there.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. It’s the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.

Having seen Saving Private Ryan in theatres just last month, the opening of Overlord is solid, but definitely not the best I've seen.

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone watched Bird Box yet? Comes out today on Netflix no?

EDIT: I see that is fro the AFI release and December for us common folk!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The opening doesn't quite match Saving Private Ryan, but boy is it freaking close!

I absolutely had a blast with Overlord. Like Matt, I was expecting more of a "zombie" (horror) film after watching the trailer. I was actually happy Overlord was more of an actual WWII film than anything else.

I have a soft spot for films that take a tried-and-true genre and put a twist to it. Another great recent example of this is the film Bone Tomahawk. Ironically, Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell and Overlord stars his son Wyatt Russell. Anyway, this is the kind of film we need more of. Take a genre that has worked a million times, but shake it up a little bit.

It's unfortunate that Overlord did so poorly at the box office. I could have seen this turned into a franchise. I honestly can't figure out mainstream audiences. The studio served up a trailer that should have had them coming out to the theater in droves.

Country
    Country Flag

The opening doesn't quite match Saving Private Ryan, but boy is it freaking close!

I absolutely had a blast with Overlord. Like Matt, I was expecting more of a "zombie" (horror) film after watching the trailer. I was actually happy Overlord was more of an actual WWII film than anything else.

I have a soft spot for films that take a tried-and-true genre and put a twist to it. Another great recent example of this is the film Bone Tomahawk. Ironically, Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell and Overlord stars his son Wyatt Russell. Anyway, this is the kind of film we need more of. Take a genre that has worked a million times, but shake it up a little bit.

It's unfortunate that Overlord did so poorly at the box office. I could have seen this turned into a franchise. I honestly can't figure out mainstream audiences. The studio served up a trailer that should have had them coming out to the theater in droves.
    I had smoked a joint (which I NEVER do but since it is legal... you only live once right?) so for me that was one of the most intense war scenes I have ever seen. I LOVED IT. I also was really hoping for a franchise here. It could have been done so well. This and Upgrade are the best underrated movies most will not see all year...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of underperforming movies...what about Suspiria? That was gone from my theater in a week. I didn't expect it to be a huge box office draw, but only a week in theaters? That surprised me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

When did it come out? I forgot all about it. It's playing at one theater by me, but not sure it'll still be there this weekend.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

November 2nd, I think.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 441 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 331 339 379 429 ... LastLast