Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 289 of 441 FirstFirst ... 189 239 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 339 389 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm thinking the TV series could actually serve as a backdoor reboot. Start with Wizard and Glass for one or two seasons, then do The Wind Through the Keyhole, with maybe some of the Marvel comics flavor sprinkled in, and then go into The Gunslinger, and so forth.
    After Under the Dome, TV Series + Stephen King makes me nervous.

I did see a longer preview for IT in the theater. Psyched about that!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm thinking the TV series could actually serve as a backdoor reboot. Start with Wizard and Glass for one or two seasons, then do The Wind Through the Keyhole, with maybe some of the Marvel comics flavor sprinkled in, and then go into The Gunslinger, and so forth.
    After Under the Dome, TV Series + Stephen King makes me nervous.

I did see a longer preview for IT in the theater. Psyched about that!!!!
    Don't forget the disaster TV series of The Mist. IT the movie is looking like it could be something worth seeing.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Shot Caller.... one of my favourite prison movies of the last decade. It is brutal and brilliant. 8.5/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some of these GOT actors/actresses are showing they are not type cast to one role. I felt the movie was well written, well acted, and was a very good watch. I enjoyed it. Kind of a sad story when you look at everything the character had to go through. But yes, a very well done movie throughout. 7/10
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Overall, I enjoyed The Dark Tower. I found myself almost in a daze as the movie was about to start. I almost couldn't believe that something we've waited so long for was finally about to unfold before me. I remember many a night over a decade ago on the DT.net site debating who should play which characters. Just like that BOOM! It's here.

The funny thing is, the film kind of felt rushed. The whole production was rushed, to be honest. Remember, this was supposed to be released a few months ago. The film itself also felt too brief. An hour and 30 minutes is just too short. They could have easily expanded on a few things.

I thought the film couldn't make up its mind. Sometimes it simplified things to the point of being ridiculously obvious, yet they left so many things unexplained that would leave the average viewer completely befuddled.

I will say the film does capture the spirit of the books. On more than one occasion I found myself cracking a smile or getting chills when something like the Gunslinger's code was recited or Roland said or did something exactly how he would have done it in the books.

Unfortunately, the film was kind of like Chinese food. It was tasty while I was watching it, but a little while later, I was hungry for me. This morning I woke up kind of feeling cheated. I feel that as devoted fans we deserve something more than just okay. We deserve something awesome and The Dark Tower film is far from it. I also had this feeling that this is all we will ever get. That there will be no sequel and nobody is going to bank on a TV series. This would truly break my heart.

In short, The Dark Tower is no where near as bad as some critics were making it out to be. Far worse films have spawned multiple sequels. Any Tower Junkie should be able to pull just enough from the film to make it worth the price of admission, but will ultimately be left wanting much more.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Just watched The Lords of Dogtown and I'm giving it a 9/10.

I truly loved this movie. Anyone even remotely interested in the skateboard culture, and how it got started - you must see this film. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke, starring Emile Hirsh, Rebecca DeMornay, Nikki Reed and Heath Ledger.

Based on a true story. Written by Stacy Peralta.
    That sounds awesome!

... Shit, sorry, damn autocorrect.

That sounds not awesome!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Overall, I enjoyed The Dark Tower. I found myself almost in a daze as the movie was about to start. I almost couldn't believe that something we've waited so long for was finally about to unfold before me. I remember many a night over a decade ago on the DT.net site debating who should play which characters. Just like that BOOM! It's here.

The funny thing is, the film kind of felt rushed. The whole production was rushed, to be honest. Remember, this was supposed to be released a few months ago. The film itself also felt too brief. An hour and 30 minutes is just too short. They could have easily expanded on a few things.

I thought the film couldn't make up its mind. Sometimes it simplified things to the point of being ridiculously obvious, yet they left so many things unexplained that would leave the average viewer completely befuddled.

I will say the film does capture the spirit of the books. On more than one occasion I found myself cracking a smile or getting chills when something like the Gunslinger's code was recited or Roland said or did something exactly how he would have done it in the books.

Unfortunately, the film was kind of like Chinese food. It was tasty while I was watching it, but a little while later, I was hungry for me. This morning I woke up kind of feeling cheated. I feel that as devoted fans we deserve something more than just okay. We deserve something awesome and The Dark Tower film is far from it. I also had this feeling that this is all we will ever get. That there will be no sequel and nobody is going to bank on a TV series. This would truly break my heart.

In short, The Dark Tower is no where near as bad as some critics were making it out to be. Far worse films have spawned multiple sequels. Any Tower Junkie should be able to pull just enough from the film to make it worth the price of admission, but will ultimately be left wanting much more.
    I am in full agreement. Critics, and many on this site, are just being too critical for their own good. Sometimes I felt that the critics were reviewing the struggle to get it filmed more than the film itself.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

I am in full agreement. Critics, and many on this site, are just being too critical for their own good. Sometimes I felt that the critics were reviewing the struggle to get it filmed more than the film itself.
    I am with you guys....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Took the wife and kids to see Despicable Me 3. About what you would expect. Some good laughs, though the premise is losing it for me. Kids loved it. Loved this one bit with the minions ruining a Pixar moment
    Spoiler:

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

I truly loved this movie. Anyone even remotely interested in the skateboard culture, and how it got started - you must see this film. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke, starring Emile Hirsh, Rebecca DeMornay, Nikki Reed and Heath Ledger.

That sounds awesome!

That sounds not awesome!

Did you just reply to a post from 7 years ago?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Blair Witch

I really like found footage movies in general, and the Blair Witch mythos specifically (I even liked Book of Shadows), so I'm probably among the easiest to please for something like this. Despite this, Blair Witch didn't do much for me, although I wouldn't actually call it bad.

Although it did have some nice ideas, such as

Spoiler:
    Connecting the current characters to the original ones, thereby providing a more substantive rationale for returning to the woods than simply "let's do it again"

Having the short bit of video that kicked off the events of this film turn out to be video of events that hadn't happened yet

Illustrating the connection between the stick figures and the victims by showing that the snapping in half of the former did just that to the latter

One of the victims finding out that it might be possible to evade the witch by viewing her indirectly (not that it worked out for her).

...it just felt a little dull and repetitive.

Also, the bit with

Spoiler:
    the squirmy thing inside one character's foot

seemed pretty out of place because

Spoiler:
    BW is a paranormal movie, not a bug movie

Bottom line: if you were enough of a BW fiend to want to see this, don't let me stop you - you probably will enjoy it more than I did.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really didn't like the first one. Would you say it's similar?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Definitely - there's no reason for you to see this one.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

King Arthur - Not bad. Great imagery, light story content. I mean how do you have a King Arthur movie without, Merlin? Of course, I may be biased.!!

Dialogue and editing made it feel a little like a mideval "Rock n Rolla/Snatch". LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Needed to get my complete thoughts down on paper, so: My Dark Tower Review
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

That sounds awesome!

That sounds not awesome!

Did you just reply to a post from 7 years ago?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Definitely - there's no reason for you to see this one.
    I wouldn't say that. I'd say Blair Witch is to Blair Witch Project as the Evil Dead remake was to the original. Gorier, dirtier, less enjoyable, less likeable. Still not HORRIBLE, but not great.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Needed to get my complete thoughts down on paper, so: My Dark Tower Review
    Fantastic read as always, Ricky! You and I are on the same page for sure.

I mostly agree with you about the problem of making a faithful adaptation of The Gunslinger. That might have been just too odd for people to grasp and get behind. Especially since Westerns don't bring people to the box office anymore. That said, there's one aspect of The Gunslinger that I've been harping on for years since we heard about a movie version that should be included and that is:

(I shouldn't have to put a book spoiler on a website dedicated to The Dark Tower, but oh well)

Spoiler:
    Roland has to let Jake die. That's just the way it is. I know the movie is showing us a different version of the story, one in which Roland has the Horn of Eld, but that doesn't mean he still can't let Jake fall. To me, this is incredibly important to the story and Roland's character. It shows how bad he wants to catch The Man in Black and get to The Dark Tower. He's willing to sacrifice the life of his young companion to get there. That's huge. You could have had an early credits stinger showing Jake still alive. I just need to hear him say, "Go then, there are other worlds than these."

Also, it would have given the film it's Game of Thrones moment. If you've watched the pilot of GoT, you know there's something that happens that literally hooks every viewer that watches it.

The Dark Tower needed its moment to hook the audience, and that could have been it. A missed opportunity I think.

Traveler Susan will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

AGREE!

Gunslinger Apprentice kaufen is on a distinguished road

Cyrus -.Very funny film if you appreciate passive-aggressive dialogue as much as I do.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The Dark Tower-Incredible let-down. Prior to the movie they showed a trailer for "Flatliners". Flat-line is how the movie was. Dead on arrival.
    somehow I expected that. I'll probably try watching, but won't kill myself trying.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The last movie I saw? The Dark Tower. I give it a 19. Also, 19/10 will see it again.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Country
    Country Flag

That said, there's one aspect of The Gunslinger that I've been harping on for years since we heard about a movie version that should be included and that is:

Spoiler:
    Roland has to let Jake die. That's just the way it is. I know the movie is showing us a different version of the story, one in which Roland has the Horn of Eld, but that doesn't mean he still can't let Jake fall. To me, this is incredibly important to the story and Roland's character. It shows how bad he wants to catch The Man in Black and get to The Dark Tower. He's willing to sacrifice the life of his young companion to get there. That's huge. You could have had an early credits stinger showing Jake still alive. I just need to hear him say, "Go then, there are other worlds than these."

Thanks a lot, Mike!

And I agree with your spoiler (I know there's a few others on here who feel the same way). There were a lot of places in the film where it could've happened, so it's not like it would've felt out of place or weird tonally.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Glass Castle

Rarely has a movie been so touching, and so uncomfortable for me. Not having read the bestselling book, I went in with minimal awareness of the story. It's a movie that needs to be seen uninterrupted. I suggest in a theater. The ending (including credits) almost brought tears to my eyes.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

EDIT:

Woody Harrelson deserves nothing less than an Oscar nomination for Best Actor.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That said, there's one aspect of The Gunslinger that I've been harping on for years since we heard about a movie version that should be included and that is:

Spoiler:

Thanks a lot, Mike!

And I agree with your spoiler (I know there's a few others on here who feel the same way). There were a lot of places in the film where it could've happened, so it's not like it would've felt out of place or weird tonally.
    I believe that the old adage is that "you can't have your cake, and eat it too." I totally disagree with you guys. If Roland is to get to the place we all know that he will eventually get to, and the horn suggests that he is nearing that point, then he has to "change." One of his biggest "changes" no doubt has to eventually be this significant one. What better evidence can one have than the shift the filmmakers have created? Unfortunately, for the uninitiated who have never read the books, they will never be able to appreciate the nuance of this significant shift. That is not a jibe at you, only at those who have never read the books. I liked the choice that was made, given the direction they chose to go with.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Logan Lucky:

Quite a few great scenes, but the mockery of dumb southerners wears thin.
    Slightly pulled together at the end.

Overall it has no soul (a worse sin is that it wasn't funny).

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 289 of 441 FirstFirst ... 189 239 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 339 389 ... LastLast