Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 284 of 441 FirstFirst ... 184 234 274 282 283 284 285 286 294 334 384 ... LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I enjoyed Guardians 2. It doesn't come close to the original for me. I really loved that one, but I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with it either.

One complaint Webstar had was that there was too much banter. I wouldn't say there was too much, but much of it fell flat. Maybe that's where he's coming from in regards to that. I'm not sure.

As for the scene where Star Lord and his father play catch, I don't see where he's coming from on that front. It's so tongue-in-cheek that you can't possibly take it seriously. It's also like 15 seconds long.
    Flat is a great way to describe it. I will never be a fan of useless, non-funny banter that serves no purpose other than filler for a film. The catch scene was small however the cheese it radiated was what turned me off the film. It is my least favorite where the first is one of my favorites.
    For whatever reason the "cheese" doesn't really bother me. I think it's probably because the whole idea behind these Marvel / Superhero movies in general is just pure "cheese" in the first place. There are very few superhero movies that are transcend the cheese. The Dark Knight and Captain America: Winter Soldier are the only ones that stand out to me as being beyond "cheese".

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I enjoyed Guardians 2. It doesn't come close to the original for me. I really loved that one, but I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with it either.

One complaint Webstar had was that there was too much banter. I wouldn't say there was too much, but much of it fell flat. Maybe that's where he's coming from in regards to that. I'm not sure.

As for the scene where Star Lord and his father play catch, I don't see where he's coming from on that front. It's so tongue-in-cheek that you can't possibly take it seriously. It's also like 15 seconds long.
    Flat is a great way to describe it. I will never be a fan of useless, non-funny banter that serves no purpose other than filler for a film. The catch scene was small however the cheese it radiated was what turned me off the film. It is my least favorite where the first is one of my favorites.
    For whatever reason the "cheese" doesn't really bother me. I think it's probably because the whole idea behind these Marvel / Superhero movies in general is just pure "cheese" in the first place. There are very few superhero movies that are transcend the cheese. The Dark Knight and Captain America: Winter Soldier are the only ones that stand out to me as being beyond "cheese".
    And they were some of the best ever made...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched Guardians 2 yesterday and really just enjoyed my popcorn. Felt pretty much the same way about the first one. It was okay and there was so much silliness going on that I felt Leslie Nielson* should have been involved.

*R.I.P.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

"Alien Covenant." I am a "Prometheus" fan and had no problem there were no aliens in it, especially when it was a pre prequel with a back story of how things progressed to "Alien" itself. Yes some of the characters weren't very bright in "Prometheus," but the deleted scenes helped alleviate some of the idiotic things they did. The character development was very good and I enjoyed the characters, especially David and Shaw.

"Alien Covenant" takes place 10 years after "Prometheus." Early previews showed some great character development between the group and who was who, plus whom they were paired off with. The critics are right stating leaving all this last super footage was a bad idea. We lack character development in Covenant and we lack liking any of the characters. I felt filling in the gaps between David and Shaw would have been way more beneficial then what the movie portrayed. A story between them and the engineers and why they made humanity would have been much better utilized in this film. The David from "Prometheus" is completely missing .

The CGI alien viewing was off and seemed non-realistic. I did not care for it. Some things felt rushed. You could see everything coming as a viewer. Nothing was a shock, as you knew or could tell what was happening or going to happen next. Though I thought the movie was OK, I was not thrilled with the story line, the characters, the plot, and how it ended. I'm heart broken. 5/10
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Watched Guardians 2 yesterday and really just enjoyed my popcorn. Felt pretty much the same way about the first one. It was okay and there was so much silliness going on that I felt Leslie Nielson* should have been involved.

*R.I.P.
    Lol me too man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    A story between them and the engineers and why they made humanity would have been much better utilized in this film.
    This is what I assumed Covenant would be about. Reading others' reviews, it doesn't seem to be the case. Which makes me unhappy. I haven't seen Covenant yet, but if every movie is going to essentially "start over" with a new ship with a new crew exploring a new planet, I'm not sure I can get behind that. I'll see how Covenant is and go from there.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    A story between them and the engineers and why they made humanity would have been much better utilized in this film.
    This is what I assumed Covenant would be about. Reading others' reviews, it doesn't seem to be the case. Which makes me unhappy. I haven't seen Covenant yet, but if every movie is going to essentially "start over" with a new ship with a new crew exploring a new planet, I'm not sure I can get behind that. I'll see how Covenant is and go from there.
    I know I was typing "choppy" and not explaining a lot, I just didn't want to spoil anything not stated in trailers. We as viewers had a really good story about David, Shaw, and the engineers and it was summed up in less then 5 minutes with no closure.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

[QUOTE=allasorte;1060825]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I know I was typing "choppy" and not explaining a lot, I just didn't want to spoil anything not stated in trailers. We as viewers had a really good story about David, Shaw, and the engineers and it was summed up in less then 5 minutes with no closure.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed Alien Covenant today. Saw it on a super large screen with MPX, and Dolby Atmos sound. Picture and sound were flawless. I loved the opening scene/set. The size, scope, and stark whiteness was a wonderful compliment to "2001 a Space Oddysey".
    Although following a very similar plot as the original Alien, the different nuances were well thought out. The concepts of humanity, creation, and artificial intelligence were sublime.

I give it 5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I had the time of my life last night. I came home after work and my wife and daughters whisked me off to Boston to attend a performance of my favorite film, Jaws, at Symphony Hall. Seemed strange, until we walked through the doors and I saw that the entire hall was set up with small lounge style seating. This was the second of two live performances of Jaws to be accompanied by the Boston Pops (famed orchestra once headed by John Williams). The original score had been removed from the film, and to my delight would now be played live. It was a brilliant night. I have watched Jaws too many times to count, and yet I was seeing/hearing it for the first time. The live performance was an education on the impact a score can have on film. It was hard not to occasionally look at the orchestra, headed by Keith Lockhart, as I tried to process the blending of live music and film. It was also fun to be surrounded by so many fans of the film, who clapped, laughed, and gasped in all the right places. What a great early present.

10+ out of 10!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That sounds awesome.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A Dog's Purpose: 4.5/5

Great movie, reminded me of Butterfly Effect (although this is reincarnation rather than event ripples) ... A little dark at times, but Rose glossed over the drunk father/dog chained up in the trailer park an entire life parts. And so on. All in all she liked it, and so did it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    So, I had the time of my life last night. I came home after work and my wife and daughters whisked me off to Boston to attend a performance of my favorite film, Jaws, at Symphony Hall. Seemed strange, until we walked through the doors and I saw that the entire hall was set up with small lounge style seating. This was the second of two live performances of Jaws to be accompanied by the Boston Pops (famed orchestra once headed by John Williams). The original score had been removed from the film, and to my delight would now be played live. It was a brilliant night. I have watched Jaws too many times to count, and yet I was seeing/hearing it for the first time. The live performance was an education on the impact a score can have on film. It was hard not to occasionally look at the orchestra, headed by Keith Lockhart, as I tried to process the blending of live music and film. It was also fun to be surrounded by so many fans of the film, who clapped, laughed, and gasped in all the right places. What a great early present.

10+ out of 10!
    That's sounds like a truly memorable night.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That does sound awesome. I really wish more theaters would do stuff like this.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Traveler Talisgirl19 will become famous soon enough Talisgirl19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just watched a Korean zombie movie called Train To Busan. Not to be bossy or anything, but just f'n watch it now and thank me later. WWZ was shyte compared to this. Well, compared to anything really...
    [I]"A fallish whin' was blowin.' Da kine et fine eh hole in yo paints n' blow strayduppah cracka' yo ais!"

<-------------------------------------------------btw, I made that

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Talisgirl19 View Post
    I just watched a Korean zombie movie called Train To Busan. Not to be bossy or anything, but just f'n watch it now and thank me later. WWZ was shyte compared to this. Well, compared to anything really...
    Been saying this here a few times now!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler Talisgirl19 will become famous soon enough Talisgirl19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[/QUOTE]
    Been saying this here a few times now!

SPOILER!!: I cried like a baby too, the end was brutal to my feelz
    [I]"A fallish whin' was blowin.' Da kine et fine eh hole in yo paints n' blow strayduppah cracka' yo ais!"

<-------------------------------------------------btw, I made that

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going to have to check this one out. Been pleasantly surprised with Korean cinema (Oldboy, the Host, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance).
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Train to Busan is one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Country
    Country Flag

I seen Logan last night.... AND THAT is how you do a Superhero movie. Dammm that was amazing. One of my favs and only second to Dark Knight. 9.5/10. The silly campyness that turned me off of Guardians 2... just not there. It was heartwarming, brutal, funny when it needed to be and just a damm find story. I loved it.... I hope to see more like this. My hopes were the darker tone DC was taking would put out more good gritty films like Logan. I sure hope we see more of them that is for sure!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Completely agree! I've been touting that one for months. I'm so glad people are finding it on Netflix.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Big Short

I watched this with my house mates the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Covering the 2008 recession - or rather, the build-up to it - I loved how it focused on this very small group of characters who could actually see it coming. There were a lot of really great performances in this movie, top of the list being Steve Carell. In his first scene, I just thought that his character would simply come across as an angry version of Michael Scott. But he really surprised me. He brought a lot of depth and humanity to the role. I liked how the more he learned about the inevitable disaster, the more you could see the despair on his face.

There were also a few breaks from convention that were somehow very effective. My favourite moment is the movie telling us that a scene is bullshit and didn't actually happen this way in the middle of the actual scene. The filmmakers seemed very keen to put across the actual story, but they also aimed to entertain. A really enjoyable film that balanced those things very well, I thought.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kagemusha (1980). One of Kurosawa's last films, it seems to have gotten a less-than-stellar rep among Kurosawa fans as being dense and opaque. Perhaps that's because the film does come across dense and opaque--at least to non-Japanese audiences. I must admit that it was hard to keep up with which warlord was allying with which warlord this time, as opposed to who was allied with whom the time before. Why this general was attacking that castle when the other general over there was sieging this other castle. Stuff like that.

And previous audiences might have only seen the "international cut" which was about 20 minutes shorter than the Japanese release, cutting many of the transitional scenes that helped tie everything together.

But I really liked it anyway. A second viewing, with the commentary, was extremely illuminating. The person doing the commentary went out of his way to explain all the historical background for each scene (the movie is based on true events), and pretty much for every scene, not only explained what was going on (and WHY), but also how well it comported with actual historical events and where Kurosawa was taking creative liberties. You know the "expert commentary" is really expert when just about every scene is compared to the actual event and all the little differences are noted. ("Here in the movie scene, Kurosawa presents the general's cavalry forces in a frontal attack, where in actuality they approached from a flanking position." Etc.) Plus, it helped explain the motivations of the characters. Japanese audiences probably understood the "why" of most scenes, but to the uninitiated (like me), many initially came across as fairly random. This commentary really helped the film to come alive and I liked it even more the second go round. 4 stars (out of 5).

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Has anyone seen The Uninvited Guest? What a weird movie. It starts off like a typical home invasion horror type film, but then switches into something completely different.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Has anyone seen The Uninvited Guest? What a weird movie. It starts off like a typical home invasion horror type film, but then switches into something completely different.
    No worth watching?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 284 of 441 FirstFirst ... 184 234 274 282 283 284 285 286 294 334 384 ... LastLast