Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 441 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 369 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Yes, I watched it this summer. I enjoyed it. There was something intriguing about it.
    and you recommended it to me, and I enjoyed it too!

now really really need a couple of recommendations to break the watcher's block. I don't know when I watched anything last time - a year ago? eighteen months?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    There was a short discussion about it earlier in one of the movie threads, maybe even this one.
    I will have to go back and check. I'm interested in hearing everybody's thoughts.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So I'm not sure if anybody else does this, it might not make sense to anybody else. I'm a good sleeper, but every once in a while I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes I start a movie to help myself go back to sleep. I usually pick something creepy and scary. I feel it adds to the natural groggyness of my current sleep state.

Anyway, I usually get a cool vibe from the films I watch in the middle of the night. The Invitation fit perfectly into that template. I knew nothing about the film going in. I saw it on Chris Stuckmann's underrated/overlooked films of 2016 list and figured I'd give it a shot. The film really is kind of odd and creepy. You know something is going on, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

Spoiler:
    I actually thought the final shot was really cool. Sure, it's probably unlikely, but I believe the film takes place in Hollywood and it's not crazy to think that Hollywood types would latch on to the next trendy craze.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Watched The Invitation last night. I had been looking forward to it but it left me a little underwhelmed. I don't mind slow films for the most part, but this one was so slow for so long. I liked that
    Spoiler:
    Eden and her husband were so strong and pain-free only because they knew they were going to be free of it soon, and how that made Will question why he was so unable to let his grief go
    . On the other hand, I thought the ending would've been something more unique or weird than
    Spoiler:
    "we invited you all here so we could poison your wine and all die together."

The last shot was cool, and I know it's movie-logic, but I have a hard time believing that
    Spoiler:
    all those people with red lanterns in the distance accepted the beliefs of that wacko cult.
    I agree, the build up is glacial, but it didn't bother me too much. I would have liked a bigger reveal, but at that point I was invested enough not to care too much. If they really stuck the landing, this would have rated really highly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I agree that it was very slow, but I thought it was well done, and
    Spoiler:
    I thought the ending, when all the action finally starts was excellent. It had been building up to it, but it left you questioning if the hosts really were up to something. I agree about the last shot. It was a bit over the top, but it is a movie after all so it didn't bother me.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved The Invitation. I didn't think it was slow, because the unnerving atmosphere and subtle little things happening were more than enough to keep me involved. I'm always able to shut my brain off during movies like this and not try to "figure out" what's really going on, which means that every turn in this film surprised me. I did NOT see it coming that
    Spoiler:
    the weirdo group was a death cult and that the party was a suicide pact. It finally dawned on my about 2/3rds of the way through the final wine-pouring scene, about 10 seconds before the movie revealed itself.

The last shot of the film automatically raised my rating from 4/5 to 4.5 or even 5. Far-fetched? I didn't find it to be. I could easily see that in Hollywood or wherever else you have a bunch of woo-woo believers. I mean, look how many of "those types" think that vaccines are turning their kids into retards. Or line up for an Age of Aquarius Harmonic Convergence. Etc.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I loved The Invitation. I didn't think it was slow, because the unnerving atmosphere and subtle little things happening were more than enough to keep me involved. I'm always able to shut my brain off during movies like this and not try to "figure out" what's really going on, which means that every turn in this film surprised me. I did NOT see it coming that
    Spoiler:
    the weirdo group was a death cult and that the party was a suicide pact. It finally dawned on my about 2/3rds of the way through the final wine-pouring scene, about 10 seconds before the movie revealed itself.
    I get what you're saying, but what did you think was going to happen? I mean, you knew something was bound to happen.

They weren't all just going to start playing Scrabble and then roll credits.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have finally broken my watcher's block; it turned into a watching spree

It all started with rewatching The Babadook. Which is even more superb than I remembered it.

Then came Regression, which was pretty good, and finally Indictment: The McMartin Trial, which, altough made for television, is indubitably one of the best films I've ever seen. Woods is incredible there; so is all the rest of them.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Spoiler:
    I get what you're saying, but what did you think was going to happen? I mean, you knew something was bound to happen.

They weren't all just going to start playing Scrabble and then roll credits.
    Well, snarkiness aside, there were at least 4 things going on in my mind as possibilities. The movie was leading the audience in any of these directions, to better obscure the actual intent of the party.
    Spoiler:

1) It was a religious thing. Like you get invited to a group gathering and halfway through you realize everyone there is a Jehovah's Witness or, this being Hollywood, a Scientologist. The video, the testimonies, the fawning acolytes and true believers "all is pleasure and light" and having found "something" in Mexico or South America or wherever it was and now spreading the word.

2) It was a multi-level marketing scheme. Like you get invited to a group gathering and halfway through you realize everyone there sells Amway. Except, this being a Hollywood, it could be some combo religious whack / New Age crystal healing potion type of deal. The testimonies, the fawning acolytes and true believers "all is pleasure and light" and having found "something" in Mexico or South America or wherever it was that is the true shining path to newfound riches and enlightenment.

3) It was a murder party. The locking of the doors, the mentions of death, the thuggish "I went to prison for homicide" guy no one from the group knew except for the hosts. The reluctance to let Claire leave. The movie was setting it up to be like a weird game of "Murder in the Dark." Was it some old grudge? Unrequited affection from long ago? The movie was subtly creepy and was leading to there being a death (or attempted death) at some point.

4) It was all in the guy's head. The movie definitely tossed this out there very prominently as a possibility. So many scenes could be interpreted as sinister--or completely innocuous with the guy just being suspicious for no reason. When the Asian dude showed up (finally), the whole time you were like "Aha, the Asian dude is missing and can't be reached! They killed him! The guy is right to be suspicious!" And then he shows up ("gee I lost track of time and my phone died and blah blah blah, hey where's the food?") and you figure the guy is jumping at shadows and they're all sane except for he's the crazy one.

But of course you had it all figured out from the start and never thought about any of these. If so, I guess it was boring to sit through, you knowing what was going to happen and all.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I have finally broken my watcher's block; it turned into a watching spree

It all started with rewatching The Babadook. Which is even more superb than I remembered it.

Then came Regression, which was pretty good, and finally Indictment: The McMartin Trial, which, altough made for television, is indubitably one of the best films I've ever seen. Woods is incredible there; so is all the rest of them.
    I hope bears pick up their watching slack. There have been so many great recent films, mainstream and indie alike. I'm still going through many of them for the 2010-2019 decade list thread. Just so much goodness.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Babadook is so good! It almost must be followed with The Orphanage. Bears should check out the Iranian film Under The Shadow which is similar to both of them, especially The Babadook. Have Bears watched Ex Machina or Room yet?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I hope bears pick up their watching slack.
    I don't know what it will eventially come to, because my current non-stop watching is caused by my being so hopelessly tired of the events in the so-called real life, that the only thing I could think about for some kind of relaxation, LOL, instead of sleeping or reading. But I hope things will be looking up, and everything will grow more... normal; movie watching including, since it's such a wonderful and big part of life, and I regrettably missed it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Babadook is so good! It almost must be followed with The Orphanage. Bears should check out the Iranian film Under The Shadow which is similar to both of them, especially The Babadook. Have Bears watched Ex Machina or Room yet?
    oh!! recommendations!!! recommendations!!! bears love

will totally watch Under the Shadow and Ex Machina as soon as can find them; Room left me underwhelmed, but it was in a very unfortunate period in my own life, maybe would be better on rewatch

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, snarkiness aside, there were at least 4 things going on in my mind as possibilities. The movie was leading the audience in any of these directions, to better obscure the actual intent of the party.

But of course you had it all figured out from the start and never thought about any of these. If so, I guess it was boring to sit through, you knowing what was going to happen and all.
    Wow! Dive, I was not expecting that type of response to my comment. I wasn't trying to be snarky at all. I was just trying to be funny. I also wasn't implying that I had it all figured out. Despite the fact I was watching the film at 4 in the morning, I was thinking of multiple possibilities of what might be going on. My point is that all the scenarios that were running through my mind were all bad. Call me morbid, but I automatically thought something bad was going to happen at some point during the night. That's all I was saying. I figured everybody watching the film felt the same way. It is a thriller afterall and the trailer makes the film seem like a horror film. I do understand that not everybody watches trailers though.

Also, I never said it was boring. If you go back and read my initial thoughts on the film, I said I enjoyed the film. It is slow, but I was engaged the whole time.

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you in some way. That was not my intention.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Wow! Dive, I was not expecting that type of response to my comment. I wasn't trying to be snarky at all. I was just trying to be funny. I also wasn't implying that I had it all figured out. Despite the fact I was watching the film at 4 in the morning, I was thinking of multiple possibilities of what might be going on. My point is that all the scenarios that were running through my mind were all bad. Call me morbid, but I automatically thought something bad was going to happen at some point during the night. That's all I was saying. I figured everybody watching the film felt the same way. It is a thriller afterall and the trailer makes the film seem like a horror film. I do understand that not everybody watches trailers though.

Also, I never said it was boring. If you go back and read my initial thoughts on the film, I said I enjoyed the film. It is slow, but I was engaged the whole time.

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you in some way. That was not my intention.
    Nah, we're good. Just busting your balls a little I also knew it was going to be "bad," I just had no clue that the particular "bad" was THAT sort of bad.

I actually never saw any trailers. Never even heard of this film until I saw discussion in this thread a few months ago. So I wasn't expecting a horror film. I went in cold, and like I said, I have the amazing ability to "turn my analytical brain off" when watching a movie. I mean, you can tell me a movie has a twist; I can go into the movie with the plan of figuring out the twist; and within the first 15 minutes, not only will I not be trying to figure out the twist; I'll have completely forgotten the movie had a twist in the first place. Assuming, of course, that it's a well made movie. Of course, if it's a mystery or a whodunnit, yeah, my mind will be tracking the clues, but I'll be damned if I ever figure them out. I kindof like that about myself when it comes to movies. And some books, too. Ever read Tyron's The Other?

Country
    Country Flag

oh! I've just finished reading it

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

20th Century Women was a fantastic movie. There's a lot going on in it. It's a coming of age movie in various ways for different characters. It's an interesting look on gender roles in a family and on upbringing and even generation to generation. It's smart and funny, and hits it's poignant moments with tact and subtlety. The editing and photography are highlights of the film, and there's a lot of interesting choices along the way. Benning is as great as you'd expect. Greta Gerwig is an absolutely gem who so few people have seen because she's stuck strictly to indie flicks. Billy Crudup is an actor I've always liked and always wondered why he never became bigger than he is. His peak was around Almost Famous/Big Fish and he's just been beneath the surface since then. Elle Fanning has a bright future as well. I thought Lucas Jade Zuman showed great promise as a young actor who is just taking his first steps (this was his second movie after Sinister 2) and he carried himself rather well in his scenes with far more experienced actors.

5/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I agree with you about 20th CENTURY WOMEN. It really pulled me into the story-lines.

If anyone here has seen ELLE and is willing to let me know what I missed I would appreciate it. When I walked in today she was sitting at a table and her son was eating something and asked her why her face was bruised. I really enjoyed the movie and would like to know what happened in the very beginning!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Mommie Dearest

very mediocre, but one thing is very curious; have no idea if they intended it this way:
    Spoiler:

ok, the will is read. The children get nothing.
    Son: As usual, mommie has the last word.
    Christina, the Protagonist: Does she? (long pause. Ominously.) Does she?...
    (the end)

"Like hell she does, mwahaha, now I'll go and tell the whole world what a monster she REALLY was, and the last word will be mine!.. MINE!...."

I wonder if they realized this finale undermined the whole message they were apparently trying to get across?
    (and the choice of the actress for daughter, of course)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jean, I'd recommend A Woman Walks Alone at Night.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

yes! I totally forgot about that one, you seem to have told me before; put it on my watchlist now

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I agree with you about 20th CENTURY WOMEN. It really pulled me into the story-lines.

If anyone here has seen ELLE and is willing to let me know what I missed I would appreciate it. When I walked in today she was sitting at a table and her son was eating something and asked her why her face was bruised. I really enjoyed the movie and would like to know what happened in the very beginning!
    Spoiler:
    She was brutally raped in the opening scene by a masked intruder. Rather than call the police, she cleans up, orders food and goes about her business.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Thanks Jerome! That's about what I guessed, but I'm glad you confirmed it. The theater I go to always has 15 to 20 minutes of trailers before every movie, but once in a great while (I can count three times in the last 5 years or so) the movie for some reason starts early. I always end up renting the movie to see what I missed, or as in the case of some, like KILL THE IRISHMAN, I'll buy the DVD.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally saw Florence Foster Jenkins. It wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Streep was good, as usual, as was Simon Helberg as her Florence's meek, mild-mannered pianist. There were some good comedic moments (the potato salad scene had me cracking up), too. All the elements were in place for it to be really great (I was kind of thinking it would be in line with The King's Speech in terms of quality), but they just didn't come together for me. The pacing was a little off and seemed choppy at times (for example, if someone asked me over what period of time the movie took place, I'm not sure I'd have an answer), and I never really felt like the movie was on Florence's "side." Though the point of the film was that she continued to sing despite being oblivious to the fact that she was not good at it, it never felt like any of the characters really embraced her courage and heart. That, on top of a bleak and abrupt ending, kept it from being a great film. I understand why it wasn't nominated for Best Picture and though Streep did give a good performance, I don't see her winning the Oscar this time.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Finally saw Florence Foster Jenkins. It wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Streep was good, as usual, as was Simon Helberg as her Florence's meek, mild-mannered pianist. There were some good comedic moments (the potato salad scene had me cracking up), too. All the elements were in place for it to be really great (I was kind of thinking it would be in line with The King's Speech in terms of quality), but they just didn't come together for me. The pacing was a little off and seemed choppy at times (for example, if someone asked me over what period of time the movie took place, I'm not sure I'd have an answer), and I never really felt like the movie was on Florence's "side." Though the point of the film was that she continued to sing despite being oblivious to the fact that she was not good at it, it never felt like any of the characters really embraced her courage and heart. That, on top of a bleak and abrupt ending, kept it from being a great film. I understand why it wasn't nominated for Best Picture and though Streep did give a good performance, I don't see her winning the Oscar this time.
    This is pretty much what I'm hearing from a lot of people. I have negative -5 interest in seeing the film, so I'll never be able to say for myself whether or not she's worthy or not, but I had a pretty strong feeling that it's another one of those instances where she gets nominated because she is who she is.

I'm still surprised she wasn't nominated for Ricki and the Flash.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I really liked FFJ myself.

I saw La La Land tonight and just so many good things came to mind while I was watching it. A long review really isn't necessary. I loved it!
    (4/4)

On a trivial side note, I've been going to the movies for nearly thirty years now and have never had an emergency during a movie. Well that changed tonight. Apparently someone was smoking somewhere in the building and set the alarm off right when John Legend appeared on screen. Didn't know what the hell was happening. 15 minutes later, we get back inside and situated and the movie starts again and not ten minutes into it a smoke alarm goes off in the movie! Very odd coincidence, would have been even weirder if both alarms happened simultaneously.

Country
    Country Flag

talk about breaking the fourth wall

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I really liked FFJ myself.

I saw La La Land tonight and just so many good things came to mind while I was watching it. A long review really isn't necessary. I loved it!
    (4/4)

On a trivial side note, I've been going to the movies for nearly thirty years now and have never had an emergency during a movie. Well that changed tonight. Apparently someone was smoking somewhere in the building and set the alarm off right when John Legend appeared on screen. Didn't know what the hell was happening. 15 minutes later, we get back inside and situated and the movie starts again and not ten minutes into it a smoke alarm goes off in the movie! Very odd coincidence, would have been even weirder if both alarms happened simultaneously.
    That sucks, but at least it wasn't a real emergency. I would have asked for my money back or for a free ticket to another movie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 441 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 319 369 ... LastLast