Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 264 of 441 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 262 263 264 265 266 274 314 364 ... LastLast
Results 6,576 to 6,600 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Well, there's nothing to rip apart because it was a great movie, but I will highlight a few things that keep it from being the best war film of all-time in my eyes. At least that way you know where I'm coming from.

My biggest complaint, which was also my complaint with American Sniper, is the fact that the secondary characters aren't really fleshed out. Besides Vince Vaughn's character (Vaughn was fantastic by the way) none of the other soldiers really stood out for me. In fact, when a soldier died, I had a hard time remembering who they were. From top to bottom, SPR had numerous characters that all felt well written and real.

Secondly, I thought they may have taken a tad too long to get to the war. I understand they had to set the stage and explain why Private Doss is doing what he's doing and how the other soldiers feel about that. I think they could have done some of that by showing his interactions with his unit when they arrived in Okinawa. Instead, we go from training and then get thrown right into the middle of the shit.
    I disagree with the characters as I loved many of them. I REALLY thought Vince killed it to. Man I spit my pop out when he goes "How long have you been dead private?" haha but I do agree a little with it taking too long to get to the way.
    Could you identify them by name though without looking at IMDB?

Anyway, it seems as though you and I are the only people who have seen the film, and that is a crime. I'm pretty sure we both agree on that.
    We sure do mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I have not seen Hacksaw Ridge. Honestly, I saw the preview and it looks like something that really doesn't interest me. However, since a couple of you guys have talked about it, I will see it, but whenever it comes out of the theaters.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed hacksaw ridge yesterday. Powerful compelling film. I agree the build-up was a bit slow. I also thought the opening (which seemed to be the battle at the end) was unnecessary.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love war films and I like Mel Gibson... but idk, Hacksaw Ridge has just not grabbed me. I'm sure I'll watch it when it's out on DVD, but it's highly unlikely I'll pay to see it in theaters.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Viewed hacksaw ridge yesterday. Powerful compelling film. I agree the build-up was a bit slow. I also thought the opening (which seemed to be the battle at the end) was unnecessary.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    And now for the big question, is it better than Saving Private Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I love war films and I like Mel Gibson... but idk, Hacksaw Ridge has just not grabbed me. I'm sure I'll watch it when it's out on DVD, but it's highly unlikely I'll pay to see it in theaters.
    Really? I'm surprised.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's because Andrew Garfield annoys me lol.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He was really good! Vince v. Was my fav though!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's right, I think I remember you mentioning you didn't like him.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    No.
    I wouldn't put it in my top 10 war movies. Top 20 yes.

Country
    Country Flag

5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    No.
    I wouldn't put it in my top 10 war movies. Top 20 yes.
    I am shocked. So many I have spoken to seem to like to more that you guys.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed "Nocturnal Animals" today.

I love art for arts sake, even though on occasion it needs to be expalined to someone as obtuse as I am.

Opening with a Hyper-Zaftig public art display*, we get a movie with a book inside, but search for life in the story. Are we the participants in some wonderful; as yet to be explained-understood, art exhibit, or are we unwitting fools?

Sorry to say, but I'm unsure.
    Susan (Amy Adams) looks and acts like the soul-less person she has become. Never a real artist, yet educated at the highest level, she hates what she does (as a line in the movie refers to, we all hate what we choose).
    Left alone after her trophy husband, while having an affair, goes on a business trip to close a deal that will retrieve them from financial distress; in a sleep deprived weekend, She reads the yet to be published novel written by her ex-husband.
    The novel-dedicated to "Susan" is perhaps the best part of the movie. Representing the pain and loss Susan has inflicted upon him, she reads the ARC in a sleep deprived state, literally dropping the book during excruciating scenes to return to her empty designer L.A concrete mansion (mausoleum?) Susan begins to correlate the pain of the people in the novel to the pain she has inflicted upon her ex.

Great "Art Movie". I need to digest it.

3.5/6 Beers on The RFSRS (subject to change-if I figure the movie out, I'll make it 4/6, but if I wake up tomorrow and want my $7 back, it goes down to 3/6).

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I saw The Girl on the Train tonight and though it is a faithful adaptation, I think there is too much inner turmoil in the book for it to translate well to film. It probably would have been a more interesting film if I had not read the book first. It felt too long and a bit draggy in places and just didn't stand up compared to the book. I don't think you could have cast the roles any better and the production values were top notch but it lacked the emotional punch of the book. One of my favorite parts was Lisa Kudrow's character saying "Hi, Rachel", that made me chuckle. (2.5/4)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed Manchester by the Sea yesterday. Very tedious. Good acting doesn't make a boring story exciting. I can't believe this movie is a possible Oscar nominee.
    1/6 on the RFSRS. I want my 2.5 hours of life back so I can watch paint dry.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good acting doesn't make a boring story exciting.
    This is the problem I have with a lot of Oscar nominees. So what if the acting is stellar if the story is boring and the plot non-existent?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Viewed Manchester by the Sea yesterday. Very tedious. Good acting doesn't make a boring story exciting. I can't believe this movie is a possible Oscar nominee.
    I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea but I absolutely loved You Can Count on Me (easy 5/5 stars for me). Have you seen that? I'm wondering if Manchester is truly tedious, or if our taste in Lonergan's style might just be completely different.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea but I absolutely loved You Can Count on Me (easy 5/5 stars for me). Have you seen that? I'm wondering if Manchester is truly tedious, or if our taste in Lonergan's style might just be completely different.

It doesn't matter to me what Lonergan's "style" is. It's boring.
    One can only tolerate so much of the "Eastern Seaboard grumpy fisherman prone to violence, with a drinking problem caused by a traumatic event that we all should consider and watch painfully for hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours, hours and hours and hours....."

Hopefully you get my point. If I want tedium, I'll look in the mirror for 137 minutes.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oscar nominee? It's the frontrunner to win Best Picture by many accounts right now.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh man, I really want to see it. Was hoping it would open nearby me this weekend. Now you've got me second guessing going to see it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Arrival tonight... CANNOT WAIT!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Webstar don't read until after you see the movie:

Spoiler:
    You won't like it.

Country
    Country Flag

What!!?? LOVED IT. Thought provoking and well done. Much how I think it would go in real life. Ending was superb.... 9/10 for me

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Webstar don't read until after you see the movie:

Spoiler:
    You won't like it.
    I didn't like it. Certain things bothered me. Such as Amy Adams on a time frame to figure certain things out and she has NO help. It is all on her. The government gives her no one to help her. No other bright minds out there for the most epic thing in human history?! Besides flawed characters or lack there of, I felt it dragged, lacked a good story, and in a sense nothing happened. I enjoyed the look of the aliens and their unique communication system , but I almost fell asleep on this movie. I was disappointed. 4/10.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    This is the problem I have with a lot of Oscar nominees. So what if the acting is stellar if the story is boring and the plot non-existent?
    Plot is overrated. All about character, which is where stellar acting comes in. Not saying I don't love a good plot, but if I was presented with two choices: a great plot with okay characters and minimal plot and great characters, I'm choosing the later. My favourite movies are where the plot is so small you can barely see it, like a Utopian Libertarian government lol. One of the reasons I loved Mad Max: Fury Road so much.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Plot is overrated. All about character, which is where stellar acting comes in. Not saying I don't love a good plot, but if I was presented with two choices: a great plot with okay characters and minimal plot and great characters, I'm choosing the later. My favourite movies are where the plot is so small you can barely see it, like a Utopian Libertarian government lol. One of the reasons I loved Mad Max: Fury Road so much.
    But what about both? I think if a movie is going to be the best it really needs both. And yes you can have stellar acting, but if there's no plot or horrible plot, or bad filmmaking, then I think that detracts from the acting a bit. And should those actors be nominated? Maybe, but is it really a worthy win if the movie isn't that great?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just Viewed The Eyes of my Mother
    It's available via VOD on Directv and other services.

This is the type of movie that gets under your skin. Shot in Black and White in an uncertain time period (is it today, or 30 years ago?) and at some sort of farm in a remote area; the movie tells the story of a female child whose mother is murdered by a stranger. The father returns home to discover the murder, and for reasons unclear, imprisons and tortures the intruder in the barn. Years later the father dies and the child/young woman is left alone with the murderer.

I hesitate to say more, but strongly recommend you take the time to see the movie.

6/6 Beers on the RFSRS (one beer added for the 79 minute brevity of the uncomfortable images).
    Off-putting, and bleak; it makes you squirm.

Disaparaging remark about Manchester by the Sea

+ Reply to Thread
Page 264 of 441 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 262 263 264 265 266 274 314 364 ... LastLast