Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 196 of 441 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 246 296 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The Descendants was extremely forgettable... It's not without merit but, I have absolutely no desire to visit it again.
    Totally agree with you. I watched it when it was getting all that Oscar buzz and was pretty underwhelmed. Just another movie with George Clooney playing George Clooney.
    Interesting. We don't normally disagree on things, but we are on totally different sides on this one. Clooney in no way is playing Clooney in The Descendants. In fact, it's the most un-Clooney performance he's ever given. His character in that film has no confidence. He's wounded and unsure and heartbroken. It's a great vulnerable performance by Clooney. I thought it was a very sold film, I'm not saying it was amazing, but I wouldn't say it was your normal Clooney performance.

Normal Clooney is Ocean's 11. There's no way you can compare his character in Descendants to that character.
    Good, someone agrees with me lol. I thought I was taking crazy pills. Alexander Payne has a knack for getting almost typecast actors to play the opposite of their typecast, Nicholson in About Schmidt, Clooney in The Descendants and Dern in Nebraska...a case can even be made for Broderick in Election. It's one of the reasons I love Payne's films so much. His movies are just so human to me, and so beautifully filmed. He's top five in the directors that came from his generation, a generation with some damn good filmmakers in it.
    Meh. Clooney playing against his own type cast doesn't necessarily make his performance good or great. Just different. I've noticed an inclination toward performances where expectations are subverted, but I've never subscribed to that. His performance is serviceable in a film that never achieves the poignancy it's aiming for.

Like I said, not without merit, but not a film that warrants a second thought.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You're right, it doesn't necessarily make it good or great but he's working outside his comfort zone. For an actor who has played a certain brand of character for a majority of their career to challenge their own screen persona is something to behold, I think. It doesn't always pan out, of course, but when it does it can be magic, like Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love or Liam Neeson in Taken...or Wayne Brady on Chappelle's Show haha.

I love this shot in the descendants of Clooney's face dropping behind the hedge. The way it's framed, his tenative expression, it just seems so boyish.

HAHAHA
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

An actor playing against type was what drew me to Filth, I must admit. James McAvoy has played a lot of posh "pretty boy"/geek-type roles (even when he's been playing Charles-fucking-Xavier, he still fits the "pretty boy" type, at least in First Class). Watching a film where he pretty much starts out as an unlikeable **** before slowly being revealed as a man becoming more and more insane certainly made me interested in seeing how he would handle a challenge like that. What made the film one of my favourites of last year though was just how fantastic his performance was in its own right.

I am curious about The Descendants. I remember watching About Schmidt years ago, and just found it too depressing to find it funny. Might have to give it another go, especially since these days I love comedies that are depressing as fuck.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Election a long time ago. It might be time to revisit it I suppose.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of the funniest movies ever.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finally watched Stephen King's Bad Driver, that I had DVR'd when it originally aired on Lifetime. I actually thought they did a good job on it, and it was pretty graphic for a TV movie...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Whiplash - 9.5

What would you say if I told you that the 2014 film with the most action-packed, fast-paced scenes in it is a film about a jazz drummer? I know, I wouldn’t believe it either, but that’s exactly what Whiplash successfully accomplishes. It’s one of my favorite films of the year and I found myself truly surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience.

Reading Whiplash’s plot certainly doesn’t stand out as a film that would catch my interest, or the interest of most movie goers. I’m not a fan of jazz music. I don’t dislike it, I’m just indifferent towards the genre. I also don’t have any particular interest in musicians. I respect what they do and the talent it takes to make music, it’s just not my thing. It would have been very easy to pass on Whiplash, to brush it off as a boring film about music. This would have been a huge mistake and it proves that sometimes you have to take a chance on a film even if the subject matter isn’t something you are particularly interested in.

Whiplash tells the story of Andrew, played by Miles Teller, who plays a jazz drummer that attends a highly competitive musical school (think Juilliard) in New York City. One day while practicing his drums, he’s overheard by a professor named Terence Fletcher, played by J.K. Simmons, who is looking to recruit musicians for his jazz band that competes in tournaments around the country. Little does Andrew know that Fletcher isn’t your normal music conductor, he’s a mad maestro looking to put his subjects through a musical boot camp.

J.K. Simmons has made a career of being a dependable character actor. If you don’t know him by name, you would more than likely recognize him from films like Juno and Spider-Man, or from the Farmers Insurance commercials. It’s great to see Simmons take center stage in Whiplash. He’s a force of nature that steals every scene and a lock for an Oscar nomination.

His character most closely resembles R. Lee Ermey’s performance in Full Metal Jacket. Except instead of preparing young soldiers for the horrors of war, Fletcher is preparing musicians for the pursuit of perfection. He’s a mentally, verbally and sometimes physically abusive person. Often berating his students with witty barbs. The main target of his lashings is Andrew, who unlike some of the others students, doesn’t quit. Fletcher’s actions toward Andrew only makes him work harder. He literally gives everything he has - blood, sweat and tears.

Simmons’ juicy role is sure to overshadow Teller’s performance. He’s a star in the making and has proven his acting chops in Whiplash. Teller was great in The Spectacular Now, but his talents were wasted in the young adult adaptation Divergent. Teller’s drive and dedication as an actor mimics that of his character to become a great musician. While preparing for the role, Teller practiced the drums four hours a day, seven days a week for two months.

Teller doesn’t have the typical look of a movie star. Even at such a young age, the scars on his face (from a childhood car accident) already characterize him as ruggedly handsome. Teller brings life to the character of Andrew and does a great job of making him seem likable and relatable, but driven and determined at the same time. He really is two different people. When he’s not drumming, he’s quiet and reserved, shy around girls and content with going to see a film with his father. When he’s on the drums, look out. He’s a man possessed, ready to take down anything in his path and block out everything that will keep him from reaching his goal as the greatest drummer that ever lived. This includes breaking up with his girlfriend in order to focus on the drums.

Andrew’s dedication to his craft begs the question, what is the cost of perfection? This is one of the main themes of the film. At one point, Fletcher states, “There are no two words in the English language more harmful than ‘good job.’” In his mind, there’s nothing more pure than striving for perfection. He believes that everybody should set out for greatness in whatever they do, but it’s getting harder and harder to do that in a society that is satisfied with mediocrity.

The highlight of Whiplash is an intense, frenzied climax that will literally have you on the edge of your seat. That’s not just a movie review cliché line. My butt was almost completely off the seat and my foot was tapping so hard I thought I was going to drill a hole through the floor. The whole scene is fantastic and it has to be seen in order to truly appreciate its greatness. The directing and the acting are perfect. And the editing, oh, god the editing. If Whiplash doesn’t get nominated for best editing, there’s a problem. There must be 150 cuts alone in that final scene. Extreme close-ups of the drums and symbols are mixed with extreme close-ups of Andrew as he spastically beats on his kit, all cut to the beat. It creates a kinetic, energetic pace that I can’t ever remember seeing in a film before, and I’m not sure I’ll see it again for a long time.

Whiplash is the kind of film that needs to be seen by everybody. It features two of the best performances of the year by two actors on top of their game. One by an actor just starting his career, and the other by an actor who has paid his dues as a supporting player. Their volatile chemistry threatens to leap from the screen. They’re like a ticking time bomb that you can’t take your eyes off of - or your ears.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Whiplash really was a marvel. So goddamn good. I really enjoyed it but that final ten minutes and esecially the final twenty seconds....there is so much story in their faces.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Great review, Mike. I hope to get to Whiplash sometime soon.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great review, Mike. I really don't have any desire to see Whiplash, but you've managed to at least make me curious.

After reading your review, I'm getting that the film has a kind of a Black Swan vibe, where it's not so much about ballet/drumming, but the pursuit of perfection and the mental toll it takes. Is that fairly accurate? Because I never thought I'd like Black Swan, and it ended up being one of my favorite films of the year.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Good call, Rick. Black Swan is exactly what comes to mind when I think of Whiplash.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't say Whiplash is about perfection as much about one man's desire to be the best and another man's desire to bring it out in him. It's one of the most remarkable films in yeas.

The Double: A complete trip of a movie. The movies influences range from Hitchock, Polanski and lynch. There is a very dreamlike quality to this film, as if it takes place in a world nestled in the cracks of our own. The performances are spot on, especially Eisenberg whose two polar opposites sharing the screen makes for some very unique, rapid, back and forth dialogue. The atmosphere of the movie kind of reminds me of Wes Anderson if he were to make his films menacing instead of storybook-like. How much you laugh during this movie will really depend on how much of the dark humour you pick up on and this is where I found very strong resemblence to Polanski's The Tenant, where sequences and images that are creepy and terrifying can also be sadistically hilarious. Some of the funniest things in the film are incredibly cruel. The central setting for the film, a dank office building is where the Dostoevsky is really seen. It's an unforgiving, cold, identity less place considering you need your ID on you at all times. What the office does, and who the Colonel is and what they do what they do is only really inferred in subject or in a way you have to piece it all together. Wasikowska is brilliant as she always is, her modest beauty and frail features really help her create a character like Hannah, whose periodic strength of mind rings clear and her miseries seem to have left her weathered and half digested. This is not a film for everyone. It's weird. It's dark. It's totally surreal. It's one of the most originally photographed films in a long time, and it's odd angles, zooms, usage of lighting and shadows and sporadic splashes of colour really make the world come to life, which helps make these half human characters seem fully human. The execution of the doppleganger is perfection. 5/5

Upstream Colour: What can I say about this film? It's total stream of consciousness, seemingly unglued from time and space. There are many ways to look at the movie and interpret it. There is no real overt plot, merely a general direction the scenes move in. The photography is wonderful and the performances are good and at times intentionally wooden. The movie seems to be begging to be figured out as if it's leaving a trail of breadcrumbs but there's no real reason to follow them. The movie seems to exist only in the moment, never taking time to rehash or foreshadow. It just takes you from one scene to the next, one conversation to the next, without any real idea of what conversations are happening in one place. This is one of those films that really difficult to review at all since it replies entirely on experience to explain. 4/5

Foxcatcher: A well acted film based on a true story. Outside of a few shots it's not particularily anything special to look at (though the previous two films on the same day spoiled me) and I wish the camera was in focus more often. The make up effects in the film are extraordinary. Steve Carrell is barely reconisable, not just because of the nose but what the did to his forehead and his cheeks and his mouth. Cauliflower ears stand right if you've seen them before and the job done on Tatum and Ruffalo is very realisitc. The wrestling sequences are very well done and do a good job of showing the kind of dedication and full body strength it takes to be a wrestler, and the time and energy it takes to be a great wrestlers (a great sequence involves losing over ten pounds in less than two hours). With the performances we get out of two actors who haven't gotten to really flex their dramatic muscles really help carry the story along, I just wish there was more for my eyes to see. A definitely victim of being an ugly good movie which is never as good as a beautiful good movie. The opening scenes, maybe the first five minutes was one of the strongest parts of the film as we see Mike Schultz 'glamorous' life after winning an Olympic Gold Medal. 3/5

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

How's Steve Carrell in Foxcatcher

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

He was good but not nomination worthy. Tatum was very good.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I hope you guys enjoy Whiplash.

It shares some common themes with Black Swan, but that's about it. The tone of the film is completely different than Black Swan. It's way more of a comedy and doesn't take the psychological turn that Black Swan does.

Matt, I'm glad you wrote a review on The Double. I saw you mention it on FB, I'm looking forward to it, especially after watching Enemy. Speaking of Enemy, you guys should check that one out too. It's such a mind fuck.

I'm looking forward to seeing Foxcatcher, I'm assuming you viewed the film "by other means."

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw it in theatres. 10 am showing baby, 7 bucks.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw it in theatres. 10 am showing baby, 7 bucks.
    Son of a bitch.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's the best part of having a multiplex near by. It has 24 screens and around Oscar time they're good with getting a lot of the nominees (they re-released Gravity last year for this reason, so I got to see it in 3D). I will go see Whiplash again if they bring it back...can't believe it only showed for one damn week. I love the 7 dollar a.m. showings. With any luck they will also get The Babadook as I'd love to see it on the big screen. Between Jan/February I'll see as many movies as possible in theatres. Last year this time I caught: American Hustle, Gravity, Her, Philomena. Missed Nebraska though, it didn't play long. Hoping to see twice that many this year. With any luck the showtimes of two films will match and be a good enough combined length me and my friend can sneak into a second movie before his kids are off school haha.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Went to see "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" today with my nephews. Awesome film!!! Peter Jackson, really knows his way around large scale battles!! It was easily the best of "The Hobbit" films and is a "must see", if you enjoy this genre!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's the best part of having a multiplex near by. It has 24 screens and around Oscar time they're good with getting a lot of the nominees (they re-released Gravity last year for this reason, so I got to see it in 3D). I will go see Whiplash again if they bring it back...can't believe it only showed for one damn week. I love the 7 dollar a.m. showings. With any luck they will also get The Babadook as I'd love to see it on the big screen. Between Jan/February I'll see as many movies as possible in theatres. Last year this time I caught: American Hustle, Gravity, Her, Philomena. Missed Nebraska though, it didn't play long. Hoping to see twice that many this year. With any luck the showtimes of two films will match and be a good enough combined length me and my friend can sneak into a second movie before his kids are off school haha.
    My theater is only 3 minutes away and it's a big one. Unfortunately, they only carry big budget films. Even though they added 3 more screens a few years ago and called it their "Indie Wing", they rarely show any Indies.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My theatre has been fixed and flipped so much the past couple of years lol. It was AMC from opening (2002) to 2012, then Empire theatres bought it and flipped and sold it to some firm who prompty flipped it to Landmark theatres who have again fixed it up haha. AMC/Empire were dedicated to showing independent films and have done a great job with it, especially this time of year. I can only hope Landmark who just bought the theatre in the spring will be the same way. We're reaping the rewards of all this flipping...crazy new soda machines with like 60 varieties, 4 Imax screens now, top of the line 3D projectors...now I can drink my whiskey in eight flavours of diet coke!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Guest.

I gotta say... this new guy (I have never seen him before) Dan Stevens... is amazing. What a great movie. It may be of a B nature (no wide release that I know of at this writing) but shouldn't be. Absolutely kept me and my wife on the edge of our seat till the end. What an interesting caracter. A solid 7.5 out of 10 for me.

PS: If you have not seen Predetermination or CHOSEN... make them a part of your holiday watch fest. Some of my favs the last few weeks for sure
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw The Interview. Very silly and amusing movie. As a fan of Franco/Rogen type of humor I enjoyed it. Nothing earth-shattering.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Like most people, I've been really busy with the Holidays and haven't had the chance to write any real reviews for some of the films I've seen recently. So here are some quick thoughts on films like The Babadook, Enemy, Birdman, Into the Woods, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Owning Mahowny and Non-Stop.

Click here for my recent movie round-up: Quick Flicks

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mike! You changed the layout of your site! I can't handle change!

EDIT: Just noticed that it's a Tumblr page.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 196 of 441 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 246 296 ... LastLast