Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 441 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick, I can't remember, but were you one of the peoples that LOVED Melancholia as well?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Your review will be the tie breaker on whether or not I'll watch the movie, Jean.

No pressure.
    halfway through, and enjoying it immensely. Immensely. Even if they blow the other half (which I doubt), it will still be worth watching. If you liked The Tenant, Barton Fink, and/or Berberian Sound Studio, you'll like this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Mattrick, I can't remember, but were you one of the peoples that LOVED Melancholia as well?
    which reminds me... I have to do another go at Melancholia (it would be a fourth...)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Please do Jean. I really want you to see the end. It's so intense.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I promise to try again. For you.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I've downloaded the movie, by the way. Will watch it tonight.
    Prepare to love it...its absolutely sublime! I think it is one of the greatest movies ever made.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Shannon I have not seen Melancholia. Now I have to watch Synecdoche New York again...I watch the last fifteen mins once a month, but I havent watched the whole thing in sometime.

Country
    Country Flag

Synecdohe, New York

What a wonderful film.

Unlike Mattrick, I don't think it's one of the greatest ever made - I couldn't help feeling it was somehow flawed; on the other hand, it may be only a matter of personal opinion, and what seems like flaws to me may not to other people.

Namely: it is too explicitly intelligent; at times it relies on concepts and ideas more than on cinematography; I think I can agree with the reviewer who said, "It seems more like an illustration of his script than a full-fledged movie"; the turn from black comedy to bleak tragedy was not very natural; too many things were spelled out that I believe should be left untold.

None of what I said in the previous paragraph really subtracts from the obvious fact that the film is superb. I will watch it many times, and, hopefully, write something, as usual, infinitely long; so far, only one thing: DD!!!! Watch it NOW!!!

No, one more thing: THANK YOU MATTRICK!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Found it on Netflix earlier, so I can - and will - watch it tonight. Give me one hour to finish up this fucking fucker of a fucking report, and I'll get cracking!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yuck.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Welp, I guess that settles it lol.

Matt/Heather - is it on instant play?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know...I own the DVD like every other Charlie Kaufman movie lol.

Jean, Id like to know if your opinion varies at all on a second watch. I find more small things to love about it each time I watch it. I can see the point about it just brining a script to film to a point, since it was his directorial debut. It's one of the greatest movies because of the script, since he is debatably the best screenwriter ever, and all the ideas it as...he finds a way to make a screenplay into literature, and, of course, Kaufmanns preoccupation with the human mind is something I am drawn to. My friend said after it was released that Charlie Kaufmann was done, that Synecdoche was such a full and definitive film...what else could he have to say?

Country
    Country Flag

: nods :

I also agree about the last ten minutes. And the very ending is one of the most powerful in the history of cinema.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only seen Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkavich. Besides SNY, what else would you recommend?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

: nods :

I also agree about the last ten minutes. And the very ending is one of the most powerful in the history of cinema.
    Definitely...its like the end of dream.

Fernando...Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, starring Rockwell, Clooney and Barrymore, directed by Clooney. I haven't had the chance to see Human Nature yet but heard good things. Adaptation is...well, odd, trippy, mind fucking but completely awesome.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm not sure Feev, I rented the DVD ages ago. I'd also recommend Adaptation, its been forever since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it. Maybe I should give this one another watch too.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Adaptation was nuts! I loved it. We watched it in my Film Adaptation class after reading The Orchid Thief (what the film's based on), and that made it even better, seeing how much craziness they added.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Synecdohe, New York

Wow. When I started watching this film, I was sure I was going to like this movie - the narrative seemed a little random at first, going from one moment to the next as Shannon pointed out. Rather like life itself, in that regard. There was a lot that was just plain bizarre about it. But the longer the film went on, the more that randomness began to have its own coherence, until it became a storyabout, as Mattrick pointed out, all about life itself, in so many aspects of it - loneliness, love, missed opportunities, art, reality, all these many things, but mainly life, because it is all those things. I also liked how it reminded me of a Polanski film at times, specifically with many of the characters not really being human beings, unable to connect to our character on any real level due to lacking humanity altogether. I'm sure Jean could explain why much better than I could, but it was a quality I really liked. By the time it finished, I didn't like this movie. I loved it. For first time viewing, 9/10. I'm sure even that high rating will grow on subsequent re-watches and I'm able to appreciate it more.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jesus Christ, I hate you people, lol!

I was so hopeful in this line:

"By the time it finished, I didn't like this movie ..."

and then ...

"... I loved it."

Grrrrrrr!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

We're all different. It is interesting how we go from imperfect state to imperfect state. No matter how quickly you recognize that human beings develop slowly, you'll go on slowly developing. It's amusing, at times, to experience failure. Self reflection reveals irony after irony. We're quite entertaining.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I also liked how it reminded me of a Polanski film at times, specifically with many of the characters not really being human beings, unable to connect to our character on any real level due to lacking humanity altogether. I'm sure Jean could explain why much better than I could, but it was a quality I really liked.
    Two more important qualities re it reminding of a Polanski film: first, that you know from the very start that the protagonist (for lack of a better word) is bound to lose, just because he is alive, that is, by definition of a living soul in the world being organized as it is; second, the to-whom-the-bell-tolls quality of the black humor: while watching the movie, every time you hear your own nervous laugh, don't ask who is the butt of the joke - it's you.

I wish the latter was more consistent in SNY, though. My main problem with that film is how self-important it gets somewhere in the middle; it's the plague of many an arthouse movie. It becomes kinda preaching; aware that it has an important message and determined to get it across. If I ever rated such films, I would give it a 7 out of ten - but it would be a 7 in a league that is itself placed very high in my universe; in the same league with The Tenant, Withnail & I, and Barton Fink.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's funny. Self-importance is itself one of the themes, I think. We see Caden define the message of his work, then repeatedly abandon and re-define that as his life and work go on.

It's rather difficult to transcend self-consciousness, as I'm sure Charlie Kaufman (who had already accrued a particular arthouse reputation) was aware.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 05-13-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: biography

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Knight Returns 9/10

This movie is about as close to perfect as you can get. For simplicities sake both parts are being counted as one movie. This is the Batman movie I've always wanted to see. The comic book has influenced every single portrayal of Batman since it came out in 1986. And you can see why in the movie. A dark and gritty Batman in a town gone to hell. I hesitate to talk that much about it because I have no wish to ruin it, let me sum it up this way. My favorite Batman movie. Period, no contest. The cast is perfect, the soundtrack is prefect, and the animation is prefect. If you are a Batman fan I highly recommend this, you won't be disappointed.
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The movie is great, but I really, really didn't like Peter Weller's voice as Batman. It's so deadpan and lacking any real depth or emotion. The animation is fantastic though.

The Dark Knight is still by far the best Batman film. It will be a while before that is matched or surpassed.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Your review will be the tie breaker on whether or not I'll watch the movie, Jean.

No pressure.
    halfway through, and enjoying it immensely. Immensely. Even if they blow the other half (which I doubt), it will still be worth watching. If you liked The Tenant, Barton Fink, and/or Berberian Sound Studio, you'll like this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    which reminds me... I have to do another go at Melancholia (it would be a fourth...)
    No, you really don't.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hellboy: The Director's Cut

watching this cut makes a lot more sense than the theatrical cut

+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 441 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 ... LastLast