Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 248 of 441 FirstFirst ... 148 198 238 246 247 248 249 250 258 298 348 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice: 3.444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444445 (which, in turn, makes it 3.5, which in turn, makes it a 4, but BARELY)

Notes:

Spoiler:
    - It didn't have to be two and a half hours long. For me, the first two-thirds were bland, and mostly unnecessary. That being said, the last third/half hour/forty-five minutes --whenever the B/S fight started, until the end-- was excellent.
    - Man, was this movie too dark for anyone else? Not dark in tone, but dark in color. I remember seeing scenes from the trailer and thinking, "See, I knew it was too dark, this scene is MUCH brighter in the trailer." It felt like I watched a cam copy that was too dark. Dark dark dark, too dark.
    - So, Batman REALLY doesn't have a problem killing/shooting people/exploding vehicles/airjumping the Batmobile into the back of another vehicle WHERE HE SEES PEOPLE ARE?
    - I feel like Lois Lane was so naked that we didn't have to see any nipple to call it nudity, lol.
    - Those Justice League cameos were unnecessarily and unNEEDingly shoehorned in in the worst way possible. Video files on a computer? Come on ... And that Aquaman one sucked. Oh, and the Cyborg one sucked too.
    - Future Flash was interesting, but I felt there was something a little off about it.
    - SO glad that Doomsday developed his boney appearance. When he first came out and was cave troll smooth, I was incredibly disappointed.
    - When Doomsday started bursting electricity, I had the same feeling in the pit of my stomach as when I saw what they bastards did to Deadpool in Wolverine Origins.
    - I am an unabashed lover of Ben Affleck. Great actor, even better director. The guy can almost (looking at you, Gigli) do no wrong. With that preface, I thought he was fucking fantastic as Batman.
    - I am also an unabashed hater of Jesse Eisenberg. The Social Network is one of my favorite movies, and he was damn good as Zuckerberg, but I hate him in everything else. Including this. He fucking sucked. His Lex was 100% annoying.
    - I really like how a lot of the scenes from the trailers were of a completely different context when seen in the movie. I think they did this on purpose, and it worked.
    - Wonder Woman is a badass. She did more damage to Doomsday than anyone else.
    - Lasso/Kryptonite gas bomb/Kryptonite spear through the heart was a great ending.

It all comes down to the movie length and how bloated and self-indulgent the first two thirds were. Could have been a solid four out of five for me, but it barely (BARELY) squeeked by thanks to the final act.
    Spoiler:
    I can concede you some of those point. It certainly wasn't a perfect movie, but I still loved it. I'm wondering if you had a bad projection, as I was at two different theaters and neither seemed too dark, at least not in the way you described. You're right about the pacing though, it felt off. I personally wouldn't call it bloated, as I like a long movie, but spots seemed needlessly slow while other spots felt rushed. Mostly what it felt like, was that it was a perfectly good 3 hour move that the studio said no to. So they had to cut a bunch out and it totally messed with the pacing. Personality / appearance changes from the comics don't bother me at all. Especially with the Doomsday thing. They may have called that Doomsday, but it wasn't really Doomsday. It was just some monster Lex created.

Batman definitely kills a bunch of people though. It doesn't really bother me that much though since this movie is heavily inspired by Frank Miller's version of Batman, who is ruthless. There's even a scene towards the end of the movie that basically pulls the dialog right off of a panel of the the comic. Affleck also has a line at the end of the movie that leads me to believe he will be changing his ways a bit in the future, following Superman's example.

Hmm that spoiler tag button doesn't work right. Hopefully no one saw that before I had a chance to fix it. Anways I've said it elsewhere I'm gonna say it here. This may be the best Batman / Bruce Wayne we've gotten yet. Ben Affleck kills it.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Baskin is a fucked up Turkish horror/fantasy film about five cops that happen upon a portal to hell while investigating a call. This one is pretty wild and will remain with the viewer long after seeing it. (3/4)

Baskin Trailer

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Totally LOVED the BVS movie... A solid 8.5/10 for me. I think when we get the R rated directors cut that is coming... it will likely feel like a better movie for the ones that felt it was not that good.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Turbo Kid

When I heard about this film a few months back, I must admit, I grew really curious to watch it. Everything I heard and read about it made it sound like it could be a lot of fun, although I was initially reluctant to truly find out if such a low-budget film could live up to its promise of a great love letter to 80s cult movies. Last week, I was able to get it and a couple of blu rays real cheap, so I thought I might as well give it a go. (Not least because the blu-ray edition is apparently gorier than the DVD.)

When I saw the blu-ray menu come up in the style of an old 80s VHS trailer, I knew before the film had even started that I had made the right choice. This film is just an amazing tribute to so many 80s cult classics, not just to films but even to a few video games, too. "Mad Max" instantly springs to mind, but there's also the ultra-violent gorefests of Paul Verhoeven's movies, too.

What really impressed me though is that the film, while it'll make you laugh at the old 80s cliches and tropes it uses, never feels anything less than affectionate towards its inspirations, and you always feel like you're laughing with the filmmakers rather than at them. Everything from the look, the synthesised music, even the outrageous gore, has clearly been made with a lot of love. Even the story has real heart to it, as you see a beautiful friendship develop between "the Kid" and crazy-yet-lovable Apple. It's the kind of story that's been done a lot, but it really adds something to the movie, especially in contrast to the incredibly over-the-top violence throughout.

I really did love this film so much, certainly a lot more than I expected to. When I wasn't laughing, I had a stupid grin on my face watching it, and I've still got that stupid grin now. Frankly, that just doesn't happen with a lot of films these days. Oh, I'm not saying I haven't watched many great movies lately, but it's been a while since I've watched one that was filled with as much fun and joy as this film had. 5/5
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Rewatched Wolf of Wall Street...fucking great.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Turbo Kid

When I heard about this film a few months back, I must admit, I grew really curious to watch it. Everything I heard and read about it made it sound like it could be a lot of fun, although I was initially reluctant to truly find out if such a low-budget film could live up to its promise of a great love letter to 80s cult movies. Last week, I was able to get it and a couple of blu rays real cheap, so I thought I might as well give it a go. (Not least because the blu-ray edition is apparently gorier than the DVD.)

When I saw the blu-ray menu come up in the style of an old 80s VHS trailer, I knew before the film had even started that I had made the right choice. This film is just an amazing tribute to so many 80s cult classics, not just to films but even to a few video games, too. "Mad Max" instantly springs to mind, but there's also the ultra-violent gorefests of Paul Verhoeven's movies, too.

What really impressed me though is that the film, while it'll make you laugh at the old 80s cliches and tropes it uses, never feels anything less than affectionate towards its inspirations, and you always feel like you're laughing with the filmmakers rather than at them. Everything from the look, the synthesised music, even the outrageous gore, has clearly been made with a lot of love. Even the story has real heart to it, as you see a beautiful friendship develop between "the Kid" and crazy-yet-lovable Apple. It's the kind of story that's been done a lot, but it really adds something to the movie, especially in contrast to the incredibly over-the-top violence throughout.

I really did love this film so much, certainly a lot more than I expected to. When I wasn't laughing, I had a stupid grin on my face watching it, and I've still got that stupid grin now. Frankly, that just doesn't happen with a lot of films these days. Oh, I'm not saying I haven't watched many great movies lately, but it's been a while since I've watched one that was filled with as much fun and joy as this film had. 5/5
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Turbo Kid

Great review, James! I'm not sure how this one slipped by me, but I will keep my eyes open for it now. Very interesting.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Turbo Kid

Great review, James! I'm not sure how this one slipped by me, but I will keep my eyes open for it now. Very interesting.
    Thanks, Mike. To be honest, I'm not surprised it did, as I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for a blog I follow on rare horror movies. (Not that I would classify it as a horror, but fucking hell, is it gory!) It got such a promising review that I grew really curious about it, and I have to admit, it was even better than expected. Definitely one to watch if you're looking for pure 80s nostalgia mixed with buckets of OTT gore.

- Melike

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

FYI. This is streaming on Netflix...I watched it today and enjoyed it.

Turbo Kid

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Turbo Kid

Thanks, Mike. To be honest, I'm not surprised it did, as I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for a blog I follow on rare horror movies. (Not that I would classify it as a horror, but fucking hell, is it gory!) It got such a promising review that I grew really curious about it, and I have to admit, it was even better than expected. Definitely one to watch if you're looking for pure 80s nostalgia mixed with buckets of OTT gore.
    80s movies and gory movies are both right up my alley I had never heard of this one either but I'm definitely going to give it a watch now.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to see all the Turbo Kid love! Great movie. Apple really stole the movie for me.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like I'm going to have to watch this one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Glad to see all the Turbo Kid love! Great movie. Apple really stole the movie for me.
    Agreed. Not gonna lie, was kinda worried she'd end up being annoying, but she definitely grows on ya real quickly. Especially after she gets her gnome stick. Still can't quite believe how surprisingly sweet the movie ends up being with the Kid and Apple.

Also, it's so fucking awesome to see cult legend Michael Ironside play a villain once again. He's just so great at it, and he hasn't lost his touch.

- Melike

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed "Everybody Wants Some" today. It was a great flashback to ~1980 (I was 20 then). Most everything was nailed as far as music, clothing, props, and mannerisms.
    That being said, Boring!
    Hard to suspend disbelief in a movie that asks you to believe what happened likely occurred. One simply did not go to a disco, a country western bar, and a punk bar in a 48 hour period. You attached to one, the other two were anathema.

3/6 on the RFSRS

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got done watching Turbo Kid and loved it. Thanks for recommending it. I also had a grin on my face most of the movie. Some great nostalgia there. I used to love the gore in my 20s but I literally could not watch most of those parts. Oh, and I want to marry Apple.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just got done watching Turbo Kid and loved it. Thanks for recommending it. I also had a grin on my face most of the movie. Some great nostalgia there. I used to love the gore in my 20s but I literally could not watch most of those parts. Oh, and I want to marry Apple.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, the gore is extreme at times, and while I enjoy it, I know it won't be to everyone's tastes. I was seriously impressed with how well it went with the plot and style of the film, considering it seems heavily modelled on not just films like Mad Max, but tons of 80s kids movies where the "kid" is played by someone in their late 20s/early 30s. And yes, Apple is awesome. So fucking adorable.

I've already watched it a 2nd time. Think I might watch it a 3rd this weekend.

- Melike

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I swear James must be getting commission for every time somebody watches that movie.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I swear James must be getting commission for every time somebody watches that movie.
    I don't get commission for people who watch Turbo Kid, Mike. You're thinking of Quadrophenia.

But seriously, it's always nice when a review you type up does bring a little more attention to a film you really enjoyed that's not as widely known as other movies.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

But seriously, it's always nice when a review you type up does bring a little more attention to a film you really enjoyed that's not as widely known as other movies.
    Yup. That's why I love this thread in particular. We're all movie snobs in our own way, but then we post in here to elevate our collective snobbery and become a higher being.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone here recommended Withnail & I once, years ago. Got excited about it, hated it.

So ... I dont like that person.

Lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yup. That's why I love this thread in particular. We're all movie snobs in our own way, but then we post in here to elevate our collective snobbery and become a higher being.
    I'm fine with that. 8)

I saw Demolition this weekend and, I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. Some people are going to hate this film, but I really loved how they portrayed a guy who was grieving in a more than unique way. Also, it helps that I love Gyllenhaal and he really turns in another strong performance here.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jungle Book (2016): Four out of Five

Great story, amazing CGI (Shere Khan and King Louie especially), very likeable characters. Rose wasn't as into it as I had hoped she would be. She liked it well enough, but I think she was getting sleepy (went to a 7:30pm showtime after a long day). And a special shoutout to ...

Spoiler:
    Kaa. Everything about that scene was near-perfect. I just wish she was in the movie for longer than five minutes.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Withnail and I.

Rewatched last three xmen movies...still awesome. Rewatched Birdman and Boyhood and they held up. Rewatched The Graduate and still great.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Midnight Special is fantastic. See it without learning much about it. Shannon, Edgarton, Dunst, Driver...all you need to know to really let this film carry you along. 5/5

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been dying to see it, but I don't think it's going to be opening up anywhere near me.

I've enjoyed both of the Jeff Nichols films I've seen Mud and Take Shelter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 248 of 441 FirstFirst ... 148 198 238 246 247 248 249 250 258 298 348 ... LastLast