Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 348 of 441 FirstFirst ... 248 298 338 346 347 348 349 350 358 398 ... LastLast
Results 8,676 to 8,700 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Along the Path of the Beam Starkraven7 is on a distinguished road Starkraven7's Avatar

I watched Blackkklansman last night. I'm pretty sure I've missed most of the other Spike Lee movies so this was my first real experience and I'd give it 7/10 for me. After I got past the cringey feeling of hearing racial and ethnic slurs thrown around freely as story development, I found myself rooting for the main characters and nervously biting my nails wondering if they'd come out ok. The real KKK footage added at the end sort of threw me but I'm pretty sure that was the point. I grew up near Janesville, WI in the early 90's where it made national news when Geraldo was hit in the face by the KKK during an interview. It amazes me that we are still seeing this kind of crazy, shitty behavior even now. I enjoyed this movie and thought it might be worth suggesting it to others.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking I'll be doing a double feature on Sunday of Midsommar and the latest in Ghibli Fest, Whisper of the Heart
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw Extract, a 2009 Mike Judge film starring Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, and Kristen Wiig, with fun smaller roles filled by David Koechner (Jesus, is his character irritating) and Gene Simmons, and another small role not as funly filled by Ben Affleck (I like Affleck; I just don't think he was properly cast here). A slightly irregular movie, not iconic like Office Space, but an interesting story of funny incidents and their consequences. Good stuff.

It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Midsommar

Bizarre. Surreal. Horrific. Fascinating. You can saddle Midsommar with a never ending stream of adjectives, but not a single one can truly capture the artistry of this sun drenched nightmare and the imminent sense of doom hidden behind devilish smiles.

As many of you know, Midsommar is Ari Aster's sophomore film, a follow up to his breakout horror hit Hereditary. Whereas Hereditary dealt with malevolent forces that crept at night, here he puts horrors on display in broad daylight. Don't go in expecting a jump-scare galore, this film takes its time uncoiling its tendrils and I suspect it will try the patience of some.

I don't want to say too much more as its probably best to know as little as possible going into it. Suffice to say that it is a superbly acted, psychedelic, deeply disturbing (some scenes are not for the faint of heart) twisted story which dares to toy with the notion that one person's nightmare might be another's fairy tale.

Ari Aster has now cemented himself as a directorial powerhouse. Can't wait to see what horrors he'll fill my nightmares with next.

8.5/10

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Midsommar

Bizarre. Surreal. Horrific. Fascinating. You can saddle Midsommar with a never ending stream of adjectives, but not a single one can truly capture the artistry of this sun drenched nightmare and the imminent sense of doom hidden behind devilish smiles.

As many of you know, Midsommar is Ari Aster's sophomore film, a follow up to his breakout horror hit Hereditary. Whereas Hereditary dealt with malevolent forces that crept at night, here he puts horrors on display in broad daylight. Don't go in expecting a jump-scare galore, this film takes its time uncoiling its tendrils and I suspect it will try the patience of some.

I don't want to say too much more as its probably best to know as little as possible going into it. Suffice to say that it is a superbly acted, psychedelic, deeply disturbing (some scenes are not for the faint of heart) twisted story which dares to toy with the notion that one person's nightmare might be another's fairy tale.

Ari Aster has now cemented himself as a directorial powerhouse. Can't wait to see what horrors he'll fill my nightmares with next.

8.5/10
    ITs funny... here the guys seem to like it. It only got a C+ Cinescore and the couple I know seen it said that they have seen it done before and it was just.. MEH
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have an article about Midsommar up later today, about emotional abuse and gender stereotypes.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Midsommar

8.5/10
    ITs funny... here the guys seem to like it. It only got a C+ Cinescore and the couple I know seen it said that they have seen it done before and it was just.. MEH
    Yeah, it's definitely not for everybody. It's a slow burner and the film is laden with a lot of psychological subtext. Very few violent/climatic counterweights, although when they do happen they are startling and impossible to look away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'll have an article about Midsommar up later today, about emotional abuse and gender stereotypes.
    I wanted to delve a little more into that in my review but it was going to be difficult for me to do it and not get spoilery. Looking forward to reading it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to delve a little more into that in my review but it was going to be difficult for me to do it and not get spoilery. Looking forward to reading it.

Here you go!

https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...motional-abuse

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Child's Play:

A weak attempt to revive the franchise. An editing mess, with multiple story lines that are underdeveloped. Not funny, and zero memorable zinger one-liners from Chucky. The only cool part is the modernization of "Buddi" so that he can control electronic devices around him. Sort of an evil Google assistant, or Alexa.

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Child's Play:

A weak attempt to revive the franchise. An editing mess, with multiple story lines that are underdeveloped. Not funny, and zero memorable zinger one-liners from Chucky. The only cool part is the modernization of "Buddi" so that he can control electronic devices around him. Sort of an evil Google assistant, or Alexa.

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS
    I HAVE TO ASK.. you went to see this and are avoiding Spider-man? Spiderman is SO much fun man. A real gem and the best one ever made....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Here you go!

https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...motional-abuse
    Nice. I'll read it later today.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Child's Play:

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS
    I HAVE TO ASK.. you went to see this and are avoiding Spider-man? Spiderman is SO much fun man. A real gem and the best one ever made....

Correct. I have no desire to see any Spider Man movie. My next movie to see is Midsommer.

Country
    Country Flag

Child's Play:

3/6 Beers on the RFSRS

Correct. I have no desire to see any Spider Man movie. My next movie to see is Midsommer.
    OH man... you have to. IT IS SO FUNNY. A down right comedy.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you burnt out on Spiderman movies or the MCU in general?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you burnt out on Spiderman movies or the MCU in general?
    All of it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw Child's Play today as well, Jerome, and I really liked it. I wasn't very confident once I heard they were re-making it, but I thought it was a cool twist. A very interesting allegory for nature vs. nurture in terms of raising children, plus great performances and score by Bear McCreary. It also does the unexpected by trying to make the viewer feel sorry for Chucky (and succeeds). Pacing could've been a little quicker and the tone more intense, but overall I really enjoyed it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    The best way to watch Midsommar is like Heather said, to go in knowing as little as possible. I was able to successfully not watch a trailer for the film and I only knew a brief synopsis. All I knew was that it was Ari Aster's follow-up to Hereditary and that it starred Florence Pugh. That's all I needed.

That's how I got into basically every film. I don't want to know anything. I knew this movie had a cult thing. About it. I find it's so rewarding to watch any film like that. It all goes back to Midnight in Paris for me. I only watched it because it was nominated for Best Picture and didn't even know the plot and I'd never watched a Woody Allen movie. If I'd known the magical ride I was about to take, it wouldn't be such a special film to me.

I didn't know who Florence Pugh was, but after 20 minutes minutes I was like 'oh shit, that's the girl who played Paige'. Didn't see it right away because she looks very different in this. She's a solid young actress and thought she killed it in both Midsommar and Fighting With My Family.

I saw the old anime film Whisper of the Heart right before Midsommar and I had no idea what it was other than a Studio Ghibli film (before Ghibli Fest I'd only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away). It's was a wonderful film. It was an extremely simple story for an anime film, which tend to venture more into the fantasy/sci-fi realm, but it was a simple, down-to-earth, coming of age story I found to be really charming. I kept expecting there to be some kind of fantastical element and it never came, which I enjoyed. It's such a simple story it didn't even need to be animated. You could have just as easily filmed it with actors and the only thing that would be different is the aesthetics...but that's a big reason why I liked it so much. Animation is so often used to explore the imagination and contort and/or go beyond reality, that seeing a simple little animated film about love and growing up is really refreshing.

4/5

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Matt have you seen Howl's Moving Castle or Kiki's Delivery Service? Those are two of my favorites. Also while this isn't a Studio Ghibli film, I also highly recommend Song of the Sea. It has some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Matt have you seen Howl's Moving Castle or Kiki's Delivery Service? Those are two of my favorites. Also while this isn't a Studio Ghibli film, I also highly recommend Song of the Sea. It has some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen.
    Song of the Sea is a gorgeous film. The whole family loved it, on many different levels.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Howl's Moving Castle was the first Ghibli film to play in my theatre. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Spirited Away or Whisper of the Heart. Kiki's Delivery Service is playing at the end of the month here.

Your Name is still tops for Anime films for me though. Might be my top animated movie period. It's definitely in contention with a few Pixar films.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I saw Child's Play today as well, Jerome, and I really liked it. I wasn't very confident once I heard they were re-making it, but I thought it was a cool twist. A very interesting allegory for nature vs. nurture in terms of raising children, plus great performances and score by Bear McCreary. It also does the unexpected by trying to make the viewer feel sorry for Chucky (and succeeds). Pacing could've been a little quicker and the tone more intense, but overall I really enjoyed it.
    I'm not gonna lie. I went in wanting to hate it, but was surprised I didn't. Nowhere near the other films, and I had a lot of nitpicks (Underutilizing Mark Hamill for example), but for the most part I felt entertained. Especially the scene where Andy wakes up in the middle of the night, and Chucky starts singing to him

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still have the Buddi song stuck in my head!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Howl's Moving Castle was the first Ghibli film to play in my theatre. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Spirited Away or Whisper of the Heart. Kiki's Delivery Service is playing at the end of the month here.

Your Name is still tops for Anime films for me though. Might be my top animated movie period. It's definitely in contention with a few Pixar films.
    I'm sensing a Best Animated Film of All Time tournament in our future lol.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Midsommer:

Z ysy incoherent gyi. Undefined undefined tug pji undefined undefined hallucinogenic i tvt comprehend undefined undefined. Lsd, mushrooms, day

1/6 AND 5/6 Beers on the RFSRS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sensing a Best Animated Film of All Time tournament in our future lol.
    That'll just make me sad when Fantastic Planet and Anomalisa get 2 votes combined and they're out in the first round lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 348 of 441 FirstFirst ... 248 298 338 346 347 348 349 350 358 398 ... LastLast