Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 441 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 373 423 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,075 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Eighth Grade:

I did 8th grade six times. Once, by myself, and the other five times via my five children. Yes it's awkward and only 1% of early teens probably enjoyed it. The movie hits all of the sore spots I recall, and a few I had hoped to forget.
    BTAIM, it was boring, predictable, maudlin, and sappy (I think they are one and the same). The ~90 minute film lasted longer than what I remember (and had hoped to forget) of 8th grade.

Spoiler:
    Very uncomfortable that the sympathetic single dad/father always was shirtless when he knocked on-entered the teens room. Yes, it's bedtime, but even a dummy like me knew to never (unless poolside in Hawaii) embarrass my teen daughter(s) by being topless.

3/6 beers on the RFSRS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The original JP is definitely not ridiculous, it's one of the best sci-fi novels ever written and securely in the pantheon of all-time greatest novels.

Except The Lost World is a better book than Jurassic Park.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Good Time (Possible minor spoilers) - I hope this isn't a case of people talking this movie up so much, but I was incredibly underwhelmed by Good Time. The visuals felt forced. Whose apartment has all those colorful flourescent light? Pattison was good, but his character was pretty thin. He's a screw up who loves his brother, and is desperate in almost every scene. And I get that's the point of the movie, but I felt all the side characters and their stories to be so much more interesting. I'd rather see an entire film about his brother in jail/programs and finding some semblance of piece for the first time. The backstory about the guy with the LSD was the best part of the movie, and that would've made a more interesting movie. Jennifer Jason Lee's role in the film too was interesting...she's a woman dating a man who is much younger (though exact ages aren't said) and still lives with her mother, whom she has a tumultuous relationship with, and I was wondering how she got into that position, being an obvious screw up herself, but not necessarily in a criminal sense. And what about that security guard...how did he afford such a nice place with expensive booze on a security guard budget? Was he a criminal with a day job? Was he shacked up with a rich woman, or a rich man? All characters and situations I found to be more interesting than Connie. Add that to the fact the visuals were forced and made the world feel inauthentic. I know that bright, colourful sets, especially in flourescents are really popular right now (I blame Drive), but it was so overdone in Good Time. Lastly, the score was far too bombastic at parts. The techno sound didn't do it for me in this movie. It was so loud at times it was drowning out speech. Much like the visuals, it just distracted me throughout. Not that the music itself is necessarily bad, but the mixing and the style itself to worked against the movie to me.

I get why people like Good Time, but to me it was an overstylized, uninteresting slog for much of the movie. I liked the last third, and the first bit with leading up to the robbery. The middle of the movie though didn't make much an impact.

3/5

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The original JP is definitely not ridiculous, it's one of the best sci-fi novels ever written and securely in the pantheon of all-time greatest novels.

Except The Lost World is a better book than Jurassic Park.
    I did not think so personally... much preferred the first one.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BlackkKlansman:

Spike Lee nails this film that looks at a true incident that happened in Colorado Springs in the late 1970's (Lee moved the film to the early 70's to add a bit of flair). Filmed in such a way as to reflect on current times and politicians, the movie works-in fact, it's a bit chilling how far we haven't come in almost 50 years. Although a bit long, it is perfectly wrapped up by a coda featuring film from Charlottesville 2017 that most people (myself included) have never seen.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, so I want to preface this by saying that Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, bar none. So, I took the family to see The Meg last night. I didn't expect too much, but what I got was pretty damn good genre faire.

What I really enjoyed were the many, many, many easter eggs relating to Jaws. One really couldn't call them homages, so much as direct ripoffs, and there were a lot of them. I laughed and laughed with each successive scene, shot, etc. Clearly they were treading toward an area that might get them sued. Even my kids, both of whom love Jaws were able to get so many of the eggs. So, a 7/10 from me, mainly because of all the Jaws allusions.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    OK, so I want to preface this by saying that Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, bar none. So, I took the family to see The Meg last night. I didn't expect too much, but what I got was pretty damn good genre faire.

What I really enjoyed were the many, many, many easter eggs relating to Jaws. One really couldn't call them homages, so much as direct ripoffs, and there were a lot of them. I laughed and laughed with each successive scene, shot, etc. Clearly they were treading toward an area that might get them sued. Even my kids, both of whom love Jaws were able to get so many of the eggs. So, a 7/10 from me, mainly because of all the Jaws allusions.
    One of my biggest regrets (I am a theme park junkie I should say...) was to never get the chance to do the JAWS ride at Universal. My first time there it was closed... and was JUST closed a few weeks prior
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That happened to me with the Jurassic Park ride (it was closed when I went there, but now it's closed permanently as they revamp for a Jurassic World ride).

Also, looking forward to seeing The Meg!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I can honestly tell you that you didn't miss much. It was fun in a slow paced way but not amazing. I liked the ride because it was slower, provided decent shade, and you had the chance to get a sprinkling of water on you.

Youtube of ride:

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

One of my biggest regrets (I am a theme park junkie I should say...) was to never get the chance to do the JAWS ride at Universal. My first time there it was closed... and was JUST closed a few weeks prior

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That happened to me with the Jurassic Park ride (it was closed when I went there, but now it's closed permanently as they revamp for a Jurassic World ride).

Not in Orlando.. not till 9/13/18!! YOU GOT TIME!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I can honestly tell you that you didn't miss much. It was fun in a slow paced way but not amazing. I liked the ride because it was slower, provided decent shade, and you had the chance to get a sprinkling of water on you.

Youtube of ride:

Spoiler:

Agreed. Underwhelming unless maybe you saw it as a kid I guess.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

Youtube of ride:

Spoiler:

Agreed. Underwhelming unless maybe you saw it as a kid I guess.
    Yeah so is the ET ride but I love the nostalgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not in Orlando.. not till 9/13/18!! YOU GOT TIME!
    Yeah, I just meant when I was there a few years ago. But I don't see me getting down there in the next month. Haha.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't give my thoughts on The Meg (Possible minor spoilers, but you should be safe)

I never thought a film about a 75 foot shark could be boring. I mean, the concept is rife with fun possibilities. The size of the shark wasn't even a factor in the movie, at all. It essentially rams things a lot if it can't swallow it whole. The characters are confusing, especially the Rainn Wilson character, who I think we were supposed to hate, but he wasn't really that bad of a person. Statham's character should've had a good fold when it came to the last rescue he did in the films intro sequence, but it's kind of wrapped up really easy. They put a guy there who is angry at him for that rescue, but the tension is basically a couple comments, a brief argument, and then it's resolved. A couple of minor script adjustments could of actually made this an actual conflict (of which this movie has none). Basically all the characters like or respect each other. The two sources of conflict in the movie (the two characters I mentioned above) either fail as conflict or it doesn't really impact the story. There isn't even conflict with Statham's character outside the first like 30 minutes, then it's forgotten. The only true conflict was with the shark, and as I said, it's basically just ramming things and doesn't do anything to make it a special super-shark. Okay, actual spoilers here, I guess,
    Spoiler:
    Once the meg is loose, we see The Meg itself destroyed 3 boats and killed everyone, but we just see the aftermath. Then for the rest of the movie, the Meg fails at destroying any boats and only manage to kill anyone if they fall into the water. Where's the shlock? Why isn't this shark doing anything interesting or, lord help the filmmakers, something FUN? We paid to see a movie about a giant shark, and the shark is boring. The closest this movie got to schlock was having those two news choppers crash into each other, but that just felt like a copout to me because it was one less thing for the meg to do.
    In terms of actual shark action, the deaths are boring, basically all the exact same thing, and the movie is totally bloodless. Worst part is this movie is so toothless at taking a remote risk or having any fun that some stupid little dog which swam off a boat in the trailer...let's just say it made it back to the boat in the worst way possible.

What's frustrating about The Meg is that this movie was free to be schlocky and have fun with itself. It had a competent cast and a charismatic, veteran lead. And the cast and how they deliver certain lines was about the only bit of this movie that made it not a total misfire...except whoever played the black character. He was the absolute worst. I bet his name was Cliched Stereotype because he was a loud, cowardly, black man who can't swim and DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS! The biggest issue The Meg had was that it took itself just seriously enough it wasn't funny, but not seriously enough to be straightforward film. It was as if a 90's monster movie was sanitized and marketed to China. The production design of this film was fine. I liked the underwater sets and submarines.

2/5

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw The Mummy.

I'm not huge on monster movies, but sometimes they look intriguing (obviously I like horror) and I'll check them out. I also like Tom Cruise (good actor and good in action movies), so I thought they probably put some effort into making this not suck, so I gave it a shot.

At first it seemed like someone forced a rollercoaster/popcorn action movie script onto a mummy script, but I realized that that didn't have to be a bad thing, so I kept watching. But some of Cruise's hokey reactions to life-threatening situations made it clear that my "Cruise = not suck" theory needed work, and man, when they got to the meeting with Jekyll...I had to bail. I appreciate them casting Russell Crowe, I really do, but I just couldn't continue.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw Goodbye Christopher Robin.

This is about the writer of Winnie The Pooh and his son (the inspiration for Christopher Robin). That's pretty much all you need to know about it; either this interests you (and you should watch) or it doesn't (and there would be no point). Well acted, nice enough movie, etc.

Conceptually it reminds me of The Man Who Invented Christmas, which was about Dickens' process writing A Christmas Carol. Sort of a true story, but probably embellished/dramatized a bit, but which I enjoyed 20 times more than GCR (nothing against GCR; I just love ACC).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    But some of Cruise's hokey reactions to life-threatening situations made it clear that my "Cruise = not suck" theory needed work...
    The last time he didn’t suck (in general, life-threatened or not) was in Tropic Thunder. Before that, I don’t know, some time before Vanilla Sky? I hear Edge of Tomorrow is great, though.

Country
    Country Flag

But some of Cruise's hokey reactions to life-threatening situations made it clear that my "Cruise = not suck" theory needed work...
    The last time he didn’t suck (in general, life-threatened or not) was in Tropic Thunder. Before that, I don’t know, some time before Vanilla Sky? I hear Edge of Tomorrow is great, though.
    Mission impossible in threatens now = he DEFINITELY doesn’t suck. Lol

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

Mission impossible in threatens now = he DEFINITELY doesn’t suck. Lol

Oh right. Forgot about that one. I’m gonna watch it I think. Haven’t heard one bad thing said about it so far.

Country
    Country Flag

I recently saw The Mummy.

I'm not huge on monster movies, but sometimes they look intriguing (obviously I like horror) and I'll check them out. I also like Tom Cruise (good actor and good in action movies), so I thought they probably put some effort into making this not suck, so I gave it a shot.

At first it seemed like someone forced a rollercoaster/popcorn action movie script onto a mummy script, but I realized that that didn't have to be a bad thing, so I kept watching. But some of Cruise's hokey reactions to life-threatening situations made it clear that my "Cruise = not suck" theory needed work, and man, when they got to the meeting with Jekyll...I had to bail. I appreciate them casting Russell Crowe, I really do, but I just couldn't continue.
    I enjoyed The Mummy more than I thought I would, though definitely less than the 1999 version. There's a ton of articles about how Tom Cruise had a heavy hand in many aspects of production, which seems to be one of the reason's for it not being as good as it could've and should've been.

It also didn't help that The Mummy was meant to kick of their "Dark Universe," which was putting the cart way before the horse.

I recently saw Goodbye Christopher Robin.

This is about the writer of Winnie The Pooh and his son (the inspiration for Christopher Robin). That's pretty much all you need to know about it; either this interests you (and you should watch) or it doesn't (and there would be no point). Well acted, nice enough movie, etc.
    I've had this in my queue for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to it. I did see Christopher Robin last week, though, which was good. It caught me off guard because it had a little more of a depressing edge to it (though necessary, you could say, with how they portrayed the character of Christopher Robin), but uplifting and joyful as it went on.

He was very good in Edge of Tomorrow. I know Cruise is a punching bag because of his personal life and beliefs, but I don't really have a problem with his acting.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If nothing else, you have to respect Cruise for his dedication to the craft. This cat is out there performing airplane stunts over 200 times just to get the right cut when he could easily send his stunt doubles to do the death-defying dirty work. That's dedication.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    If nothing else, you have to respect Cruise for his dedication to the craft. This cat is out there performing airplane stunts over 200 times just to get the right cut when he could easily send his stunt doubles to do the death-defying dirty work. That's dedication.
    WELL SAID.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

He was very good in Edge of Tomorrow. I know Cruise is a punching bag because of his personal life and beliefs, but I don't really have a problem with his acting.
    I’ll check it out, thanks.

Here’s my thing with Tom Cruise. I was just as surprised as the next movie lover about his departure from sanity— jumping on couches, Scientology, his arrogance, etc. —but none of that is any of my business, and, although it did turn me off back when it was happening, that isn’t the reason I boycotted his movies (God that sounds so snobby!). What you said above about how he had a heavy hand in production is exactly the thing that disinterests me in watching his movies. You want to produce/direct/whatever then Godspeed, man. I hope you succeed because why not. If you suck at it and you continue using your influence as a celebrity to inject yourself behind the scenes, why the hell would I waste my time and money when I already know it’s gonna suck? So it’s mostly impersonal. Admittedly I do have some resentment toward the arrogance. All that said, I’m looking forward to watching Mission Impossible and now Edge of Tomorrow as well.

My Mood
    Chatty

Default Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Fair point. I didn’t know that about him. The guy’s definitely got serious acting skills. Some of his movies are all time favorites for me because of his role in it (as an actor).

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair point. I didn’t know that about him. The guy’s definitely got serious acting skills. Some of his movies are all time favorites for me because of his role in it (as an actor).
    Personally, I was even more impressed by the extraordinary hours he put in to learn to fly a helicopter, just so he could do that crazy chase scene. I still can't believe they let him do that. Just mount four cameras and let him fly. He's crazy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 441 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 373 423 ... LastLast