Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 355 of 441 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 353 354 355 356 357 365 405 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,875 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

PS:
    I watched for the song that was talked about....didn’t catch it and would like to know more.

The song in question is "Rock and Roll Part 2" by convicted pedophile Gary Glitter. The controversy isn't so much the song (It is a famous crowd pleaser), but the fact that Glitter is likely to receive royalties for the song while he is serving a 16 year sentence.

Article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...litter-1245803

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I saw Joker last Friday and I too have mixed feelings. Still sorting everything out in my mind, but right now it's hovering at around a 6.5, maybe a 7/10 for me. I'll try and post my complete thoughts this week...
    Wow! I was not expecting that. Do you think this is one of those instances where you hyped it up too much and it just couldn't live up to it for you?
    I don't think so... it's just a very suffocating, cynical film. Phoenix's performance is definitely a stand out, but the film might be too nihilistic for its own good. Maybe I need to watch it once more to give it a proper analysis.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We do have a separate Joker thread, let's take the actual discussion there, spoilers and all!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

PS:
    I watched for the song that was talked about....didn’t catch it and would like to know more.

The song in question is "Rock and Roll Part 2" by convicted pedophile Gary Glitter. The controversy isn't so much the song (It is a famous crowd pleaser), but the fact that Glitter is likely to receive royalties for the song while he is serving a 16 year sentence.

Article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...litter-1245803
    So, as I recalled, Glitter was convicted as a pedophile, so I assume the key scene shows the effects of, Joker as a child of abuse like, Glitter wasconvicted for committing to children. What the article fails to pinpoint is exactly where, Glitter was convicted and jailed. It's important because I believe that as a result of the Son of Sam law he is prohibited from profiting after being convicted as a felon in the U.S. The same may not be the case in the UK I don't know. If he was convicted in the U.S. and subject to the "Son of Sam law" the uproar has no teeth really other than perhaps being an unfortunate element being contained in the film in poor taste. A situation not in the least above the U.S. Media. However if the UK has no similar law to the U'S' then the article and media has a point, though I don't really give a crap. He's been locked up and is paying dearly in prison for his crimes. Victims can and should be able to sue him for any profits he should realize from the film. Which perhaps still renders the media uproar just the media profiting from his crimes!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    We do have a separate Joker thread, let's take the actual discussion there, spoilers and all!
    Nooo! I can't do spoiler talk yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think the Joker (along with other Batman characters) is a pretty malleable character, open to different interpretations; for me it's never been a case of which is better, because most Jokers over the years have been pretty great in their own way.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cold Eyes (Korea; 2013)

Wow! Where to start? The movie opens, dropping you right in the middle of a cat-and-mouse, hard-boiled scenario. Who's the guy? Why is this girl following him? And why does it seem someone is following her? The movie doesn't waste any time with explanation; just puts you in the action and takes you along for the ride.

And the first 10 minutes sold me. Turns out the girl is vying for a position on an elite police surveillance and tracking team. Her amazing skills at observation and memory make her a natural, but of course there is a bit of hazing and having to pay her dues. The team quickly finds themselves surveilling an elusive criminal gang masterminded by a fellow the police team have nicknamed "Shadow."

As I was watching, I started to wonder if Johnny To suddenly became a Korean director. This had all the hallmarks of a Johnnie To movie! And I fucking love Johnnie To! Hell yeah! The quick cuts and stylized camera sweeps and zooms; the action-without-plot-exposition; the "camaraderie of the team," the quirky little fun bits amongst the chaos and violence (the team members all have animal code names; our girl is "Piglet."). Cold Eyes is not some lame second-rate Johnnie To wannabe, it fucking nailed the homage or whatever. And added a pulse-pounding score that really accentuates the edge-of-your seat tension.

I was solidly at a 4.5 for this, deducting a bit for some coincidences late in the film and a surprising case of the stupids from our elite team members, but then, in the coda--the "Shadow" case being solved; our "Piglet" having graduated to "Reindeer"; she's tracking the new suspect... and it's...Simon Yam! Simon! Fucking! Yam! How awesomely cool is that!

5 fucking stars! Hell yeaah!

(Ha Ha. Turns out Cold Eyes is a sortof remake of the Johnnie To movie Eye in the Sky. I knew something must have been going on. I've actually seen Eye in the Sky and rated it 3.5 stars. It's saying something that a Korean movie can "out-Johnnie To" Johnnie To!)

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ad Astra: meandering, existential, visually beautiful, and ultimately, not satisfying. My wife's comment was, "at least it had Brad." 6/10

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Ad Astra: meandering, existential, visually beautiful, and ultimately, not satisfying. My wife's comment was, "at least it had Brad." 6/10
    Yeah, that's pretty spot on.

I kind of felt the same way after seeing First Man last year.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just saw Brazil.

This was an odd film, which was to be expected for something from Terry Gilliam. I can’t say I enjoyed it as much as his others, but in the end I don’t think I wasted my time.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Brazil is one of Gilliam's very best. The sheer inventiveness on screen is staggering.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Brazil struck me as a fever-dream version of 1984, featuring more hallucination, daydreams, optimism, Christmas lights, duct work, documentation, shared desks, and plastic surgery.

It seems like it may be a criticism of modern society (our reliance on bureaucratic authority and fondness for beauty and consumerism), but I hope this isn't what Gilliam was going for; while that type of film is usually welcomed as being insightful and revolutionary, nothing could be more common and dull (and therefore a vast waste of Gilliam's time). Of course, if that was what he was going for, that might explain why Brazil, despite still being a singular Gilliamesque film visually, seemed to lack the vital pulse of Gilliam films such as Time Bandits and The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Brazil struck me as a fever-dream version of 1984..
    You took the words right outta my mouth. Seriously, I was going to use those exact words lol.

Yes, it's very much an indictment on the absurdities of bureaucracy and our over reliance on technology. Notice everything looks like its on the cusp of breaking down.

Additionally, notice how the ducts blatantly run through every facet of everyday life - bedrooms, restaurants, offices - a nod to the overbearing, suffocating presence of the Ministry.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Saw Joker this past weekend. I'll head off to that thread, but just wanted to say that Joaquin Phoenix was seriously terrifying in that role.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Saw Joker this past weekend. I'll head off to that thread, but just wanted to say that Joaquin Phoenix was seriously terrifying in that role.
    Agreed. The film was fantastic, but the first thing that came to my mind after was that all the controversy surrounding the film had to have been the result of a PR stunt. As someone who is works in the field of Public Relations and Marketing, I think it was brilliant.

The film wasn't nearly as violent as people made it out to be. I've seen more violence in an episode of NCIS. I know that wasn't the only part drawing controversy, but it seemed to be the focal point.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, after seeing it I was also surprised about all the controversy and wondered if it was deliberate. If it wasn't I think they probably just drew a bunch more people to the film. I didn't really consider it to be violent at all compared to a lot of other films out there now.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

John Wick kills people with a fucking pencil to the face, but no one bats an eye. People just like indulge their sensationalist tendencies because it's a grossly popular film and they know they'll get lots of internet clicks.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Agreed. The film was fantastic, but the first thing that came to my mind after was that all the controversy surrounding the film had to have been the result of a PR stunt. As someone who is works in the field of Public Relations and Marketing, I think it was brilliant.

The film wasn't nearly as violent as people made it out to be. I've seen more violence in an episode of NCIS. I know that wasn't the only part drawing controversy, but it seemed to be the focal point.
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had more brutal violence. The violence really underwhelmed me after an the talk of the brutal violence in Joker. I'm just glad that all the left-wing fear mongering helped contribute to Joker being a big success.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt, I coulda sworn you said you weren't going to watch Joker?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think violence itself was what was causing the main controversy with Joker, but that the film appears to justify violence.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I don't think violence itself was what was causing the main controversy with Joker, but that the film appears to justify violence.
    I don't think it does though. I think the other aspect of the film that was getting a lot of attention was the mental health themes.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I said I wasn't excited about it. I wasn't going to see it because the DCEU doesn't interest me. It's the ridiculous controversy that sprouted up last month that made me go see it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I said I wasn't excited about it. I wasn't going to see it because the DCEU doesn't interest me. It's the ridiculous controversy that sprouted up last month that made me go see it.
    It's hardly a DC movie.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's hardly a DC movie.

Obviously. But I wasn't planning on giving WB money for a DC property after their trainwrecks. They can thank the people who got triggered for my 13 bucks.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's hardly a DC movie.

Obviously. But I wasn't planning on giving WB money for a DC property after their trainwrecks. They can thank the people who got triggered for my 13 bucks.
    Then your missing out mate. That’s one of the best comic based movies I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 355 of 441 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 353 354 355 356 357 365 405 ... LastLast