2018 DT.Org Fundraiser-The Last Hurrah!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 308 of 318 FirstFirst ... 208 258 298 306 307 308 309 310 ... LastLast
Results 7,676 to 7,700 of 7945

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

  1. #7676
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night. It wasn't absolutely abysmal, but it was pretty bad. Terrible script, jarring editing, tonally erratic. Not to mention paper-thin characters. There were a good handful of times where I could see the obvious "lifting" of certain scenes from other space movies. Take away the few, paltry scenes on Earth and you'd never know it was a Cloverfield movie. A prime case of a pre-existing script being poorly retrofitted to fit in the Cloverfield universe (which I guess it now becoming a thing).
    I'm with you, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I like the term retrofitted that you used. I'm not sure if it's something you came up with or if it's what Hollywood is using for this method of filmmaking, but it's perfect.

    The retrofitting of the screenplay wasn't my biggest issue. In fact, I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane and that film did the same thing. The screenplay was originally meant for a stand-alone film called The Shelter. They sprinkled in some Cloverfield stuff and BAM! We have a sequel (prequel whatever). My issue with Paradox is it only exists to give the filmmakers carte blanche to make as many Cloverfield films without ever having to worry about continuity from here on out. The single line of heavy-handed exposition with the guy talking on the news explains it all when he says it could change the past and the future in multiple dimensions.

    Now they can take any dusty screenplay off of the shelf and slap the Cloverfield name on it and anything that doesn't seem to fit the filmmakers can say,"Different dimensions, bro."

    A perfect example of this is the other Cloverfield film that is set to come out later this year. The setting - World War II. The Defense rests.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  2. #7677
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    YANKEE STADIUM!!!!!
    Posts
    27,067
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 is so damn good. I saw it twice in the theaters and would go see it again if it were still playing. Total blasphemy to say but I like it better than the first Blade Runner.
    The Evil Empire!!


    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy" - Josey Wales

    My collection thread:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

  3. #7678
    Raised to Give Up Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monk's Restaurant
    Posts
    7,069
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm with you, it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I like the term retrofitted that you used. I'm not sure if it's something you came up with or if it's what Hollywood is using for this method of filmmaking, but it's perfect.

    The retrofitting of the screenplay wasn't my biggest issue. In fact, I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane and that film did the same thing. The screenplay was originally meant for a stand-alone film called The Shelter. They sprinkled in some Cloverfield stuff and BAM! We have a sequel (prequel whatever). My issue with Paradox is it only exists to give the filmmakers carte blanche to make as many Cloverfield films without ever having to worry about continuity from here on out. The single line of heavy-handed exposition with the guy talking on the news explains it all when he says it could change the past and the future in multiple dimensions.

    Now they can take any dusty screenplay off of the shelf and slap the Cloverfield name on it and anything that doesn't seem to fit the filmmakers can say,"Different dimensions, bro."

    A perfect example of this is the other Cloverfield film that is set to come out later this year. The setting - World War II. The Defense rests.
    I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. It was a great movie (characters, pacing, suspense, all around) in its own right. Paradox just about failed on all those points.

    And speaking of the new film coming out int the Cloverfield "universe," I find it interesting that Paramount will be releasing that one in theaters. I know they dumped Paradox to make it instantly profitable, but it kind of smells of them not having much faith in it to release it in theaters.
    Reilly: "Hey, George, the ocean called. They're running out of shrimp."

    George: "Oh, yeah, Reilly? Well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

  4. #7679
    Breaker Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy has much to be proud of Tommy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 is so damn good. I saw it twice in the theaters and would go see it again if it were still playing. Total blasphemy to say but I like it better than the first Blade Runner.

  5. #7680
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    THE 15:17 TO PARIS - 6.75 out of 10
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  6. #7681
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    WINCHESTER - 8 out of 10 (Despite annoyances from the theater [bright emergency lights on the first 7 minutes of the movie], and some too talkative patrons, I still really liked it)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  7. #7682
    The Terror Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,985

    Default

    Oh, that's good to hear. I want to see it but saw it was getting some bad reviews.

  8. #7683
    Raised to Give Up Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monk's Restaurant
    Posts
    7,069
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    It definitely wasn't as good as I was hoping. There was so much they could've done with Sarah and the house but the finished product was more of the generic ghost/haunting stories we've seen before. It was entertaining overall, but I was a little disappointed in the wasted potential.
    Reilly: "Hey, George, the ocean called. They're running out of shrimp."

    George: "Oh, yeah, Reilly? Well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

  9. #7684
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    SAMSON - 2 out of 10. Here I was expecting an epic movie about TV sets and cell phones. Imagine my disappointment.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  10. #7685
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    BLACK PANTHER E-MAX - 5 out of 10. Dull and predictable.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  11. #7686
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    BLACK PANTHER E-MAX - 5 out of 10. Dull and predictable.
    It's 3 points better than Samson? No way. Black Panther was such a well-made film. You're in the minority on this one.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  12. #7687
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    BLACK PANTHER E-MAX - 5 out of 10. Dull and predictable.
    It's 3 points better than Samson? No way. Black Panther was such a well-made film. You're in the minority on this one.
    That's most likely true, and it's why I prefer seeing movies in the dark (no pun intended) knowing the least amount of information about them as possible, so I don't find myself prejudging them. Of course, being the hypocrite that I am, I refuse to see two of the movies on the nominated BEST PICTURE list, but I'll probably not watch the Oscars this year anyway, for the first time in many years, because I want to be entertained, not preached to.

    As far as BLACK PANTHER - and for the previous X-MEN APOCALYPSE, I found them to be my least favorite of the Marvel franchise movies, and I am a big fan of them! They were one cliche after another that I've seen time and time again. Hero is almost defeated, hero comes back, big fight with bad guy at the end, "No Way" will I or we help you, "We're staying out of THIS fight" until they pop up at the last moment to save the day. Think of something different you guys!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  13. #7688
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    37,968
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The Female Brain: Several laugh out loud moments, but too predictable and sappy. 3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

  14. #7689
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    ANNIHILATION - 8.5 out of 10, and I'll probably buy the soundtrack.

    I never heard of THE FEMALE BRAIN - the movie, I mean. I must check this out.
    Is MOM AND DAD worth renting? I see it is out on DVD now.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  15. #7690
    The Terror Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    ANNIHILATION - 8.5 out of 10, and I'll probably buy the soundtrack.
    Have you read the book? How does it compare?

  16. #7691
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post

    That's most likely true, and it's why I prefer seeing movies in the dark (no pun intended) knowing the least amount of information about them as possible, so I don't find myself prejudging them. Of course, being the hypocrite that I am, I refuse to see two of the movies on the nominated BEST PICTURE list, but I'll probably not watch the Oscars this year anyway, for the first time in many years, because I want to be entertained, not preached to.
    That doesn't mean you can't still enter our 2018 Oscar Contest! Visit the thread in this very forum!

    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    As far as BLACK PANTHER - and for the previous X-MEN APOCALYPSE, I found them to be my least favorite of the Marvel franchise movies, and I am a big fan of them! They were one cliche after another that I've seen time and time again. Hero is almost defeated, hero comes back, big fight with bad guy at the end, "No Way" will I or we help you, "We're staying out of THIS fight" until they pop up at the last moment to save the day. Think of something different you guys!
    You're not wrong, but all films have that. Also, it's not like anyone thought he was dead anyways considering he shows up in the trailer for Infinity War, the trailer of which should have played before Black Panther.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  17. #7692
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    37,968
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Game Night. 5/6 beers on the RFSRS. Damn near perfect. The concept has been done before but they pulled no punches on this one (No crappy PG-13 editing).
    Very dark, but laughs galore. Loved it!

  18. #7693
    Raised to Give Up Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monk's Restaurant
    Posts
    7,069
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Was it raunchy? I haven't seen a good comedy in a long time that doesn't rely on raunchy, gross-out humor and language for its laughs.
    Reilly: "Hey, George, the ocean called. They're running out of shrimp."

    George: "Oh, yeah, Reilly? Well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

  19. #7694
    Breaker ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan is a splendid one to behold ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I never heard of ANNIHILATION until I saw the movie, so have not read the book.

    I"m hoping to see GAME NIGHT tomorrow

    I think I'm too lazy to enter a contest

    Spoiler:
    There is a figure in ANNIHILATION that very closely resembles a figure on the cover artwork of FINGERPRINTS ON THE SKY, the Harlan Ellison bibliography recently released by Sub Press. I wonder if there is a connection.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  20. #7695
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    37,968
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Was it raunchy? I haven't seen a good comedy in a long time that doesn't rely on raunchy, gross-out humor and language for its laughs.
    It wasn't raunchy, but it was very graphic in other ways.

  21. #7696
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I just got back from Annihilation and I loved it.

    It's another one of those films that is certainly going to divide people. It's not meant for mainstream audiences and I could hear a lot of murmuring as the credits rolled. I don't blame people. Many of them forked over their hard earned cash thinking they were getting an action film in the vein of Aliens. Annihilation is not that.

    I was very good about staying away from everything with this film. I barely saw a trailer and I read almost nothing. I just got back from the theater, but I'm going to take a stab at a theory I have, much like I did with Mother. I haven't read any theories or anything like that, so I could be way off.

    Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

    At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

    When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

    Adam and Eve.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  22. #7697
    Raised to Give Up Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monk's Restaurant
    Posts
    7,069
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Just got back from the AMC Best Picture Showcase. 10 hours later and I'm alive! Today was:

    Phantom Thread: Liked it better than I thought, though way too long. Good performances and costume design in a twisted love story that definitely took a route I didn't see coming. And also made me really want mushrooms.

    Lady Bird: Great performances from Metcalf and Ronan. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, especially if you went to Catholic school. Pacing was a little rushy which didn't really let you linger on any scene/emotional beat too long. A little disappointed this one wasn't better (not that it was bad) considering the hype, but the mother-daughter relationship portrayed is totally spot-on.

    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: Fantastic performances all around--Rockwell and McDormand have got to be locks for the acting categories. A great story with character-driven twists and turns. Great pacing and combination of plot and character, and completely engaging throughout. I think I could've watched for another hour and been okay with that.

    The Shape of Water: Beautiful art design and effects (not sure if the Creature was practical or CGI, but it was fantastic either way). Loved the performances, especially from Hawkins and Shannon (and supporting roles from Spencer and Jenkins). Overall, not as emotionally affecting as I was hoping, but had me glued to the screen the entire time).

    So far the only BP noms I haven't seen are Call Me By Your Name (not playing anywhere near me, and no DVD release any time soon) and Darkest Hour (DVD 2/27!). Right now my ranking is (best to least):

    1. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. The Post
    4. Dunkirk (this is the one that I feel will move around for me. Great on the technical aspects, exciting, great practical effects, but characterization was a little on the hallow side)
    5. Lady Bird
    6. Get Out
    7. Phantom Thread

    I haven't really hated any that I've seen, but all of them have me feeling a little frustrated. They ALL have the parts to be amazing, but each has something that keeps it from living up to its full potential, in my opinion. Someone on Twitter mentioned this year being a particularly hard crop of movies to connect to emotionally, which I feel as well. I still think Molly's Game, had it been nominated, would be my pick for BP. I enjoyed that one the most.

    I think I only saw two of the BP noms last year so Oscar night wasn't as fun. I'm making up for lost time this year.
    Reilly: "Hey, George, the ocean called. They're running out of shrimp."

    George: "Oh, yeah, Reilly? Well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

  23. #7698
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Heather, and anyone else who has read the books, I haven't read them, but I've read that a lot of people are saying the film is very different than the books.

    It sounds like they left a lot out, but the spirit of the source material is still there. Hopefully that doesn't keep you from enjoying the film.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  24. #7699
    Demon of the Prim DoctorZaius is a jewel in the rough DoctorZaius is a jewel in the rough DoctorZaius is a jewel in the rough

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,384
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    A busy couple of weeks with school vacation:

    Black Panther - loved it. Bought into the whole world building. I love it when I am presented with a world that I don't feel I have seen before. One of the best Marvel movies. 9/10

    The Foreigner - a serious Jackie Chan romp. Predictable, but entertaining. Always fun to see Pierce Brosnan chewing up scenery. 7.5/10

    Early Man - saw this one with the kids. Not as good as anything in the Wallace and Gromit canon, but some real fun. 7.5/10

    The Shape of Water - Loved every minute of this. Del Toro is a visual genius. Can't wait to see how it does at the upcoming Academy Awards. 9.5/10

    Three Bill Boards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri - Loved every minute of this one as well. I had avoided it because of what I perceived to be a dark story line (remember, I have daughters). I was pleasantly surprised with the moments of levity. The Academy Awards got more interesting now that I have seen two truly great movies. My one drawback with this one is that it is a bit too cliche a times. 9/10
    WANTED:
    Drawing of the Three #255
    Gunslinger #255
    Charlie the Choo Choo - #255
    Colorado Kid #33 - I have Miller #33, looking to match with the other two

  25. #7700
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    5,981
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Just got back from the AMC Best Picture Showcase. 10 hours later and I'm alive! Today was:

    Phantom Thread: Liked it better than I thought, though way too long. Good performances and costume design in a twisted love story that definitely took a route I didn't see coming. And also made me really want mushrooms.

    Lady Bird: Great performances from Metcalf and Ronan. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, especially if you went to Catholic school. Pacing was a little rushy which didn't really let you linger on any scene/emotional beat too long. A little disappointed this one wasn't better (not that it was bad) considering the hype, but the mother-daughter relationship portrayed is totally spot-on.

    Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: Fantastic performances all around--Rockwell and McDormand have got to be locks for the acting categories. A great story with character-driven twists and turns. Great pacing and combination of plot and character, and completely engaging throughout. I think I could've watched for another hour and been okay with that.

    The Shape of Water: Beautiful art design and effects (not sure if the Creature was practical or CGI, but it was fantastic either way). Loved the performances, especially from Hawkins and Shannon (and supporting roles from Spencer and Jenkins). Overall, not as emotionally affecting as I was hoping, but had me glued to the screen the entire time).

    So far the only BP noms I haven't seen are Call Me By Your Name (not playing anywhere near me, and no DVD release any time soon) and Darkest Hour (DVD 2/27!). Right now my ranking is (best to least):

    1. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. The Post
    4. Dunkirk (this is the one that I feel will move around for me. Great on the technical aspects, exciting, great practical effects, but characterization was a little on the hallow side)
    5. Lady Bird
    6. Get Out
    7. Phantom Thread

    I haven't really hated any that I've seen, but all of them have me feeling a little frustrated. They ALL have the parts to be amazing, but each has something that keeps it from living up to its full potential, in my opinion. Someone on Twitter mentioned this year being a particularly hard crop of movies to connect to emotionally, which I feel as well. I still think Molly's Game, had it been nominated, would be my pick for BP. I enjoyed that one the most.

    I think I only saw two of the BP noms last year so Oscar night wasn't as fun. I'm making up for lost time this year.
    I'm glad you got to see some of the films nominated this year, Ricky. There are certainly some good ones. I still need to see Lady Bird and Darkest Hour. I won't be seeing Phantom Thread anytime soon.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 308 of 318 FirstFirst ... 208 258 298 306 307 308 309 310 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts