Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 441 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful review, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Jean - Even though you didn't like it, I'm glad you gave Memento a shot.

One of the film's main themes is the subjectivity of memory , and how therefore it is in itself ambiguous; the ‘truth' of it is up to you. You finish the film and start questioning yourself, your memories, your truths. Nothing in this film is as it seems, and yet paradoxically, everything is as it seems.
    Quite. I prefer the way it was done in Charme discret de la bourgeosie and quite a few other European films, but I buy it anyway. That's what that pull/push scene told me (actually, more effectively than the rest of the film. I like such things to be done by cinematic means.)

Lenny uses photographs, scribbled notes, and tattoos to remember who he is, where he is, and what he is doing. As you can imagine, this is an open invitation to paranoia, distrust, and betrayal - among other things. Both the backwards approach to this film and the dry backgrounds are used to elevate the atmospheric tone of the film, and to highlight Lenny's own turmoil. By the end of the film, after we learn of the characters orbiting Lenny's world and what their motivations are, we try to decipher exactly who was the victim and who was the villain, who was the manipulator and who was being manipulated. That is one of the film's greatest strengths.
    I don't see why, not really. I am not too keen on the "decipher" part. Somehow it doesn't feel worth giving it the whole two hours. I mean, to me the movie is longer than it is, and the atmospheric tone you refer to feels much overused. I think it could make a perfect short, though.

You don't like Nolan's extreme close ups, but I think it's a great way to really get a feel for the characters and what they're brooding over, told through subtle facial expressions.
    I didn't say I didn't like them. I didn't like the fact that there was little but. I find all this rather meager, if you see what I mean, - idea, backgrounds, close ups and all. Like it is hinting at something that could be great, but wasn't, either because the author consciously chose his movie to be aesthetically dissatisfying (which I hope), or because he didn't know how to make it richer without losing his main point.

Also, his quick cut editing is something of a signature move - something to keep in mind should you decide to pursue more of his films.
    This is a big fat OOPS for me. There's little that ruins a movie for bears as successfully as quick cut editing...

If you wish to see more of his films, I suggest you tackle The Prestige next. This film is to me, Nolan's best film on a strictly narrative level. And he weaves many of the themes and techniques that he has learned throughout his years as a film maker in this film and he does so effortlessly. Give it a shot.
    I will, as soon as I can. I am very interested. I will also watch Memento a second time, now that I know what you see there.

ETA: downloading The Prestige right now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've yet to watch Memento, Jean. Actually, I haven't watched any of Nolan's films apart from Inception and of course his Batman movies, which are, along with the recent Scott Pilgrim movie (but for completely different reasons, of course), two of the best comic book adaptations around. You can't far wrong with those two, especially The Dark Knight.

And if you don't like quick cut editing, I'd hate to think what you'd make of Edgar Wright! Have you seen any of his movies, Jean? Because I can't imagine you'd like his trademark style of quick cuts and regular zoom ins much (even if, I must admit, those are the reasons why he's one of my favourite directors)!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I will also watch Memento a second time, now that I know what you see there.
    Excellent. I'm sure bear has come across several films during his lifetime that he disliked upon initial viewing, only to find his opinion changing radically after a second or third viewing, yes ? Who knows, Memento could turn out to be such a film. It happened to me with No Country For Old Men - couldn't stand it during my first viewing, watched it for a second time a few months later and it is now one of my all time favorite films

Good man

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I've yet to watch Memento, Jean. Actually, I haven't watched any of Nolan's films apart from Inception and of course his Batman movies...
    I think you'll like Memento. It's a sort of thematic cousin to Inception, albeit much more self contained, and on a much less smaller scale. Watch The Prestige too, a great film about obsession and two indelible 'magicians' using any means and methods necessary to achieve their goals.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'll definitely have to check out both, but first, I'm gonna have to track down This Is England. Can't believe I haven't seen it yet, from all the really good reviews I've heard, but they're showing a 4 part mini-series set a few years later as done by the same director next week on channel 4, so that's a film I've really been looking out for recently. Heard of it, feev?

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely, I think I have it on my netflix queue too, just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Let me know what you think of it when you watch it !

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jean, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Memento that much. I hope you like it more upon subsequent viewings.

And my recommendation for you would be to check out Following. I honestly think you would enjoy that one
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I, too, think jean would enjoy Following more than Memento.

But i have to say that I think Nolan's best is easily Inception. It works as a blockbuster and an art film. It's crazy.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, are there any spoilers in your review? It's kind of lengthy, so I didn't read it assuming it contained plot details and your thoughts about them.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    <...>
    And if you don't like quick cut editing, I'd hate to think what you'd make of Edgar Wright! Have you seen any of his movies, Jean? Because I can't imagine you'd like his trademark style of quick cuts and regular zoom ins much (even if, I must admit, those are the reasons why he's one of my favourite directors)!
    No, I can't imagine it either. I am very mistrustful of technical tricks in movies. I mean, I understand when they are used for emphasis, of for any other artistic purpose, but for the whole movie? I get tired and annoyed; and I totally can't see the point of this experimenting with my eyesight.

I will also watch Memento a second time, now that I know what you see there.
    Excellent. I'm sure bear has come across several films during his lifetime that he disliked upon initial viewing, only to find his opinion changing radically after a second or third viewing, yes ? Who knows, Memento could turn out to be such a film. It happened to me with No Country For Old Men - couldn't stand it during my first viewing, watched it for a second time a few months later and it is now one of my all time favorite films

Good man
    Bears sure have come across films they disliked upon initial viewing; most often, next viewings didn't change much, but sometimes they did. I can only hope it may happen with both Memento (I feel there's some hope) and No Country for Old Men (I doubt there is. I fell asleep the first time. But I might try again one day.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Jean, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Memento that much. I hope you like it more upon subsequent viewings.

And my recommendation for you would be to check out Following. I honestly think you would enjoy that one
    Downloading it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Jean, are there any spoilers in your review? It's kind of lengthy, so I didn't read it assuming it contained plot details and your thoughts about them.
    I am not sure about spoilers. I think the only thing I may have spoiled is widely known. I generally am not sure an art film can be spoiled; but then again, I never fully understood the fear of spoilers, in books or movies. Anyway, I am sure I didn't give away any plot details.

Now bears will be watching The Prestige.

Country
    Country Flag

Have just finished watching.

It is marvelous.

It is very far from ever making my top 100, but it is still very, very good. Even though the intrigue is rather idiotic, and I could really truly do without

Spoiler:
    the twin brothers twist

which trivializes what otherwise could be a good story; and the talk before the finale is hideous, tasteless.

I also wish there was some humor involved. Black, macabre, any - I can't sit through a second movie around (the first being Memento) without anything reminding of humor. If it is Nolan's another characteristic note, a third deadly serious movie will be a disappointment.

The camera going around the characters when they talk - again, with the talking heads at awkward angles - is exactly as irritating as it was in Memento; thank God he didn't overuse it here.

Also, I don't think viewers' intellect should ever be wasted on deciphering the plot. It could be put to a better use should the director have something intelligent to tell us.

All the rest is nearly perfect. Except what I've just mentioned, it is subtle, slick, beautifully colored, very well acted, delicious to watch. I didn't want it to end - which is to say a lot, because with Memento I couldn't wait for it to end and only feared it never would. I will definitely watch The Prestige again in the future, as well as any other Nolan available.

Thank you friends, it has been a pleasure.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I could really truly do without

Spoiler:
    the twin brothers twist
    That was actually one of my favorite bits. Remember early in the film, Angier says

Spoiler:
    that there is no way it could be something as simple as twins ? You take this for granted and your mind races to find alternate reasons, most often involving some extravagant , magical plot device. Then at the end, you find out it really was a twin after all That was a nice touch, I think.

I also wish there was some humor involved. Black, macabre, any - I can't sit through a second movie around (the first being Memento) without anything reminding of humor. If it is Nolan's another characteristic note, a third deadly serious movie will be a disappointment.
    Nolan's films are often serious, with only bits and pieces of humor trickled throughout.

Also, I don't think viewers' intellect should ever be wasted on deciphering the plot. It could be put to a better use should the director have something intelligent to tell us.
    I agree to an extent, however I don't think there is too much deciphering that needs to be done here since most , if not all of the occurrences within the film are explained in the end. With a couple of exceptions, the film is pretty straight forward.

All the rest is nearly perfect. Except what I've just mentioned, it is subtle, slick, beautifully colored, very well acted, delicious to watch. I didn't want it to end - which is to say a lot, because with Memento I couldn't wait for it to end and only feared it never would. I will definitely watch The Prestige again in the future, as well as any other Nolan available.

Thank you friends, it has been a pleasure.
    Glad you liked it, Jean.

Abracadabra

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree to an extent, however I don't think there is too much deciphering that needs to be done here since most , if not all of the occurrences within the film are explained in the end. With a couple of exceptions, the film is pretty straight forward.
    Yes, it is, and I don't much like that. It felt so final and unsatisfying.
    And don't overlook Jean's comment about having something intelligent to tell us.
    ...it is subtle, slick, beautifully colored, very well acted, delicious to watch. I didn't want it to end...
    Oh, I do agree with all of that. Very far from ever making my top 100, either, but it is still a very good film.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Final, maybe. Unsatisfying, no.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Jean, have you seen any of the movies Charlie Kauffman has written? They are all amongst my favourites.

Not Another Teen Movie - For a spoof movie (especially with how bad they have been...well, since this one) this one is simply ingenious. They seamlessly blended 20 years worth of teen movies into one coherant plot. The casting for certains roles was genius and there are so many tiny things you could miss that are funny in itself.

9/10

Role Models - I was expecting this movie to be decent but it was actually better than I thought it would be. A lot of good laughs and while the movie was pretty formulaic, the laughs along the way made up for the weaker plot.

9/10

The Dark Knight - Just the greatest comic book movie and will probably hold that title for a long time. It's such a well made movie and the performances are great. Good directors like Bryan Singer are able to get good performances out of their comic book movies...great directors like Christopher Nolan can do so much more.

10/10

Next up: Syrianna, Red Dawn, Michael Clayton and A Serious Man
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Hey Jean, have you seen any of the movies Charlie Kauffman has written? They are all amongst my favourites.
    This.

Also, i'm curious to see what you thought of A Serious Man.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Seymour - this is probably a stupid question, but have you heard of PTA's new film The Master ?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    This.
    Have either of you guys seen Synecdoche, New York? And what'd you think of it?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Seymour - this is probably a stupid question, but have you heard of PTA's new film The Master ?
    Would this be a film about a pyschotic, fun loving bastard who likes to take over the world every so often? (Thumbs up if you get the reference, btw.)

Spoiler:

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean the one about a cult leader in the 50's with Philip Seymour Hoffman attached to star? Nope.

And Heather, I've seen Synecdoche twice. The first time I was intrigued but puzzled. The second time I cried. I think it's a beautiful film.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

This.

Also, i'm curious to see what you thought of A Serious Man.
    I haven't watched it yet. Haven't had the oppourtunity...been watching movies with other people lately...going to see The American and Machete tomorrow.

And I watched Synecdoche by my friends demands with him a few weeks ago. Between being stoned and tired....I was lost at parts which often doesn't happen with me. I bought it two days later to watch again but currently my dad has borrowed it. Eternal Sunshine though, one of the only maybe...ten movies, I can watch over and over gain, no matter the mood.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

And Heather, I've seen Synecdoche twice. The first time I was intrigued but puzzled. The second time I cried. I think it's a beautiful film.
    Thanks! I'll be getting to that one very soon after hearing that.

and DD

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thought you'd appreciate that, Heather!

Right then, the last film I watched: Quadrophenia.

Fucking hell. I don't know if I've seen another film like this one. Set during the 1960s and focusing on the mod community and their ongoing violent and dangerous rivalry with the rockers, the film tells the story of Jimmy, a young lad who's described by his dad as "never knowing whether he's coming or going", and that's really the key element that makes this film work. It's all about that part of your life where you're way past childhood but not ready to become an adult, a time where you don't really know what to do with your life or what you should be aiming for, or even whether or not you should care about those things in the slightest.

Bear in mind though that this is not a coming of age story - far from it. In the beginning it seems that Jimmy is happy with his life - going out with his mates, taking drugs, dancing to good music and trying to go out with the girl he fancies Steph. Even during his dull, boring job at the post office, he's happy as long as he gets enough money for the weekend and have fun with all his mod mates, especially when the lot of them head on down to Brighton one bank holiday to have some fun, get pissed and fight off some rockers.

But as the film goes on, it's clear that Jimmy is feeling more and more isolated from everyone else, even his own friends, and this feeling of isolation is shared with the audience. He wants to belong with a group, but at the same time he wants to stand out from the crowd, and as time goes on Jimmy continues on a downward spiral of depression and total indecision, resulting in an ending that's not only ambiguous but also unforgettable.

I think the thing I like most about this film is that it's not sentimental, there's no real "message" behind it, not even something as simple as "never take drugs". In this film it's not the drugs that are the problem, but just being young, stupid, and the choice between trying to rebel or trying to conform. I don't think I've ever watched a film that's ever managed to capture the craziness of all these things so well before, until now anyway. It's kinda hard to review it really because of that strength: it's not exactly the kind of film with a straightforward plot where it's easy to explain what's so great about it, just that it draws you in and makes you feel exactly what the main character's feeling, whether he's being rational or not, and that's definitely a hell of a great strength in my opinion.

Of course, no review of this film shouldn't be written without a mention of the brilliant soundtrack, especially considering this film is loosely based on a Who album of the same name, not to mention that it was executive produced by the group. With a soundtrack that captures the feeling of how fucked up being young actually is as much as the film does, it really makes me want to dig through my dad's cd collection and play that album right now.

In short, this film could be one of my favourite British/Rock n Roll movies yet. 10/10

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

No, not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Jean, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
    So am I!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 441 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 ... LastLast