+ Reply to Thread
Page 328 of 328 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 326 327 328
Results 8,176 to 8,181 of 8181

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Great Pumpkin Believer Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For some reason referring to
    Spoiler:
    a kid getting decapitated
    as a "pleasant surprise" made me laugh. I know what you meant, though.

Did you understand the ending right away? I had to do some Googling before it all clicked. Looking back, the clues and hints were really well planted.

Linus:
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Sisters Brothers":

Beautifully shot scenes of Oregon and California (although movie was filmed in Spain and Romania), this tale set in 1851 about two hit men pursuing someone who has a formula to help extract gold, moves very methodically (slow).

3.5 beers on the RFSRS

The Shining Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    For some reason referring to
    Spoiler:
    a kid getting decapitated
    as a "pleasant surprise" made me laugh. I know what you meant, though.

Did you understand the ending right away? I had to do some Googling before it all clicked. Looking back, the clues and hints were really well planted.
    It does sound kind of sick doesn't it
    Spoiler:

But based on the trailer I thought the film was going to focus on the daughter. Reminded me of when I saw Scream in theaters and I thought Drew Barrymore was going to be the main star and she's killed off in the opening scene. I was not expecting that at all.
    Come Play With Us
    Forever
    And Ever
    And Ever

Great Pumpkin Believer Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Spoiler:
    But based on the trailer I thought the film was going to focus on the daughter.
    Me too!
    Spoiler:
    I thought she was going to be the main character and end up having some kind of special abilities or something.

Linus:
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    All that said, I do prefer The Thin Red Line to Saving Private Ryan as a World War 2 film, and both couldn't be more opposite in appearance and tone.
    Still?! I thought all the Saving Private Ryan love meant that you had come around. To me, Ryan is a superior film to Line in every way possible. To be fair, I have a promise to Feev to rewatch the film. The rewatch will hopefully give me a better appreciation for the film, but it will never replace Saving Private Ryan for me. It holds a special place in my heart.

One of the more underrated aspects of the film is the sound. My favorite part is when Private Mellish bites it. You an literally hear the sweat falling from the Nazi's head onto Mellish's coat. Just so awesome. Another cool part is to look back at all the cameos years later.

Paul Giamatti, Ted Danson, Nathan Fillion, Bryan Cranston.

The sound design is incredible. It's a marvel from a production stand point for sure. There are also cameos by Denis Farina, Leland Orser, and Ryan Hurst (who's playing a villain in this season of The Walking Dead). I didn't know Cranston was in it...that's how long it's been since I've seen it.

But yeah, I still enjoy The Thin Red Line more. While Saving Private Ryan shows the horrors of war in plain view, The Thin Red Line really shows how the horrors of war affect the people fighting the war. There is no noble goal in TTRL like in SPR, and all the death is seemingless needless and in service of selfish, career goals. The acting in The Thin Red Line is better, especially from Nolte and Koteas. And the cinematography is stunning in how it allows the horrors of war to be on display while still depicting the lush, beautiful landscape it's being fought in. Saving Private Ryan is still an excellent film. But The Thin Red Line is just that much better.

The backstory behind the film is brilliant too. Evidently the original cut of the film was between 5-6 hours long, and the way Mallick edited down the film totally changed it. The book it's based off has Adrian Brody's character as the main character, but he's a side character as he chose to focus on Caviziel's character instead to trim the run-time down. Mickey Rourke apparently filmed quite a lot and he's totally cut from the final film. I would love to see the original cut, or a fully-extended version that's between 4-5 hours.

You me and Feev should group watch that one day...and Apocalypse Now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You guys, I finally watched Hereditary. What a good film. It seriously creeped me out which isn't an easy thing to do. I really hate how most horror films these days rely soley on jump scares which have no lasting effect. This one did it right. It was filled with so much tension, which I find to be far scarier. I also really loved how they put something scary into the shot without focusing on it, and just left it there for you to discover. Also that shock early on, I totally did not see that coming so that was a really pleasant surprise. Did anyone else get a Shining vibe from this film? The close up's of peoples faces all distraught, the tracking shots through the hallways of the house, even the music was reminiscent of it to me. Definitely a very effective horror film, and I really do hope they continue to make more films like this in the future.
    I'm so happy you liked it! I was on the fence as to whether or not you would like it or not. I totally agree with The Shining vibe. The film did have some fantastic composition and cinematography.

My main quibble, and it really is small, was at the party.
    Spoiler:
    Showing the young lady chopping up peanuts for the cake was a little too obvious. For a film that treats the viewer very intelligently, I thought they were being a little too transparent there.
    Other than that, it's close to perfect.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

Country
    Country Flag

Did you see they're releasing a director's cut where the girl is chopping almonds instead of peanuts?

Linus:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 328 of 328 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 326 327 328