+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 330 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,225 of 8230

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

  1. #8201
    Servant of Gan allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,625
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:


    I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.


    3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).
    Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

  2. #8202
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,197
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:


    I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.


    3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).
    Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    That's a good one too. It kind of flew under the radar.

    At first I was legit going to use that line without thinking, but now I'm going to say pun intended.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  3. #8203
    Servant of Gan allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,625
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:


    I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.


    3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).
    Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    That's a good one too. It kind of flew under the radar.

    At first I was legit going to use that line without thinking, but now I'm going to say pun intended.
    Agreed. Crimson Tide is probably the best, but Black Sea is second for me. Really surprised with it because of the acting, drama, atmosphere, and how they persevere through it all.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

  4. #8204
    Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin has a spectacular aura about Earl of Popkin has a spectacular aura about Earl of Popkin has a spectacular aura about Earl of Popkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    106
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:


    I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.


    3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).
    Crimson Tide is my personal favorite.
    I actually like Black Sea with Jude Law
    Is it too hacky to mention Red October? Is one of my all time faves. Crimson Tide is so great too. Incredible cast.

  5. #8205
    Servant of Gan allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,625
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I forgot about Red October. OK. Top 3 then
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

  6. #8206
    Can Toi DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,982
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Halloween ( 2018 )

    Like many here, I adore the original Halloween. I haven't watched many of the others, but mostly because I haven't felt the urge to. I've seen 2, and that was ok. It was advertised as "More of the Night HE came home!", which basically translated as "More of the same, but with added gore following recent slashers." I've also seen 4, which was a respectable effort, and Rob Zombie's remake, which was less so. But I was super excited about this year's one, ever since Jamie Lee Curtis's tweet over a year ago.

    My expectations were really high with this one. But honestly, this film didn't match them - it exceeded them. Frankly, I was incredibly impressed. Yes, it was inspired a lot by the original film, but it avoided being an easy copy of it. Laurie's character in particular was especially fantastic. One problem with two was because it was set on the same night, there was no room for development with Laurie's character, and when Michael came after her, we got a repeat of the incredibly tense final moments of the original film, but this time, at a hospital. The problem with trying to follow the success of the original film too closely is that there are inevitably going to be unfavorable comparisons as a result.

    So I love that Laurie was a lot more badass in this one. Like Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, it's a very different portrayal, but it's also one that makes a lot of sense. Adjusting the mythology so that one key piece of Halloween mythology from 2 onwards has been thrown out was definitely an improvement.

    I also love how scary Michael is once more. I like how a key theme with this movie is that so many are trying so hard to make Michael seem human, but he's anything but. You can't rationalize what he is. He might not be a supernatural monster (maybe), but he's nothing like the rest of us. I like that, once again, Michael is a force of nature.

    Overall, Halloween was a great followup to the original film, and my favorite one of the many sequels and remakes out there. Nothing will ever beat the original, but this new take was definitely strong.


    I help where I can.
    I will not fight!


    You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

  7. #8207
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    27,448
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm really surprised I haven't seen more people talk about Bad Times at the El Royale. I feel like this one is falling under the radar. I think it's one of the more fresh, stylish films of the year with a kickass cast and a breakout performance from Cynthia Erivo. The film is directed by Drew Goddard, who directed the fantastic Cabin in the Woods. If you didn't know any better you would think El Royale was directed by Tarantino or the Coen brothers.

    Check it out in theaters if you can, if not, don't miss it when it comes out for rent.
    It received tepid reviews, and at 2 hours and 21 minutes, (3 hours with previews) I just haven't been compelled to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hunter Killer:


    I'm a sucker for submarine movies, so I'll admit that up front. This movie requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, not only in the plot, but in the political climate depicted. Half way through the movie, a deus a machina drops in and really is a bit far fetched.


    3.5 Beers on the RFSRS (half a beer added because I like sub flicks).

    I want to see both films, but I suppose I'll have to wait for the DVD. Not in a position to visit a theater these days!!!

    Sure would like it if I had some really nice guy shipping great films right to my door that I could then just stick into the ol' DVD player and view away!!! Right, RF????? lol J/K lol

  8. #8208
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,672
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    mid90s:


    Certainly a movie made with personal love and passion. The soundtrack (mostly obscure but popular tracks from the time-guided and aided by some original stuff from Trent Reznor) is tres cool.

    Plot: Skimpy early teen boy constantly having his ass kicked by older brother, ignored by his (possibly hooker) mom, finds identity hanging with a skateboard group. Being the youngest "apprentice" he succeeds in finding a small identity for himself. Sappy ending actually dropped .5 beers off of my rating, but movie was brief and thus never really dragged.



    3.5 beers on the RFSRS

  9. #8209
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,197
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Halloween ( 2018 )

    Like many here, I adore the original Halloween. I haven't watched many of the others, but mostly because I haven't felt the urge to. I've seen 2, and that was ok. It was advertised as "More of the Night HE came home!", which basically translated as "More of the same, but with added gore following recent slashers." I've also seen 4, which was a respectable effort, and Rob Zombie's remake, which was less so. But I was super excited about this year's one, ever since Jamie Lee Curtis's tweet over a year ago.

    My expectations were really high with this one. But honestly, this film didn't match them - it exceeded them. Frankly, I was incredibly impressed. Yes, it was inspired a lot by the original film, but it avoided being an easy copy of it. Laurie's character in particular was especially fantastic. One problem with two was because it was set on the same night, there was no room for development with Laurie's character, and when Michael came after her, we got a repeat of the incredibly tense final moments of the original film, but this time, at a hospital. The problem with trying to follow the success of the original film too closely is that there are inevitably going to be unfavorable comparisons as a result.

    So I love that Laurie was a lot more badass in this one. Like Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, it's a very different portrayal, but it's also one that makes a lot of sense. Adjusting the mythology so that one key piece of Halloween mythology from 2 onwards has been thrown out was definitely an improvement.

    I also love how scary Michael is once more. I like how a key theme with this movie is that so many are trying so hard to make Michael seem human, but he's anything but. You can't rationalize what he is. He might not be a supernatural monster (maybe), but he's nothing like the rest of us. I like that, once again, Michael is a force of nature.

    Overall, Halloween was a great followup to the original film, and my favorite one of the many sequels and remakes out there. Nothing will ever beat the original, but this new take was definitely strong.
    I didn't quite love it as much as you did, but I agree with you on some of the things they got right. Especially making Michael scary again by making him completely unpredictable was very important to me. The scene where he
    Spoiler:
    kills the kid in the car
    was one of those, "Oh shit, he's not fucking around!" moments.

    I also agree with you, it's probably the best Halloween film since the original. Not necessarily hard to do, but still.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  10. #8210
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,672
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Bohemian Rhapsody:


    Viewed in IMAX with Dolby Atmos sound.


    Enjoyable biopic that fudges with timelines and facts, but still is compelling. Sound is fantastic, and ending the movie with the full Queen performance (~20-24 minutes) at the Live Aid concert is a stroke of genius, as is using Mercury's voice for songs throughout the movie (Rami Malek lip synced).


    4.5 beers on the RFSRS

  11. #8211
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,076
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I finally got around to seeing Halloween. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Green's direction was magnificent. Some gorgeous shots in there and some creative ones too. I would've preferred if the story were a little bit more Laurie centric. It wasn't that I minded it also focusing on her daughter and her grand-daughter, but there were scenes with other characters which kind of took me out of it, especially ones with short-lived people. I'll give more thoughts in my review that I'll have up in a day or two.



    4/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  12. #8212
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    11,662
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

    Overload. WOW. Not at all what I expected from the previews! Loved every min of it and hope to see it become a franchise. The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan. Oh my was it ever Intense. 9/10 and maybe even a 9.5/10. Go see this


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  13. #8213
    Servant of Gan Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,755
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody:


    Viewed in IMAX with Dolby Atmos sound.


    Enjoyable biopic that fudges with timelines and facts, but still is compelling. Sound is fantastic, and ending the movie with the full Queen performance (~20-24 minutes) at the Live Aid concert is a stroke of genius, as is using Mercury's voice for songs throughout the movie (Rami Malek lip synced).


    4.5 beers on the RFSRS
    Seeing it tonight! Glad to hear they used Freddieís voice.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  14. #8214
    Servant of Gan Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,755
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I thought Halloween was good. I think what I liked the most was how simple they kept it. Felt like an old horror movie, even a little grindhouse at times. Music and sound effects were great.

    Spoiler:
    Favorite part was when Michael appeared from behind the gate after killing the granddaughterís friend (who he hung on the gate by his lower jaw). The treatment to the original score there was awesome.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  15. #8215
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,672
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    A Private War:


    Tells the tale of famous war correspondent Marie Colvin (of eye patch fame), as portrayed by Rosamund Pike. Addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, but most of all addicted to telling the stories of of how war impacts civilians-primarily woman and children. This passion/addiction results in Colvin experiencing PTSD, and ultimately costs her her life. A very compelling biopic.



    5/6 Beers on the RFSRS

  16. #8216
    Floating Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Derry, ME
    Posts
    7,272
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I finally got around to seeing Halloween. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Green's direction was magnificent. Some gorgeous shots in there and some creative ones too. I would've preferred if the story were a little bit more Laurie centric. It wasn't that I minded it also focusing on her daughter and her grand-daughter, but there were scenes with other characters which kind of took me out of it, especially ones with short-lived people.
    Agree with everything you said, Matt. I would've preferred to just get rid of the "new group of teenagers being hunted by Michael" angle as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Overload. WOW. Not at all what I expected from the previews! Loved every min of it and hope to see it become a franchise. The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan. Oh my was it ever Intense. 9/10 and maybe even a 9.5/10. Go see this
    That good, huh? The trailers haven't done anything for me. Maybe it'll be a DVD rental.
    "You'll float, too!"

  17. #8217
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,076
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Overlord: Both more and less than what I was expecting. I was expecting there to be more of a 'zombie' feel to it, but there wasn't. There was a strong WWII feel to it though, and the characters were just developed enough and acted just well enough to really support the material. The opening sequence was really well done. The cast of relative newcomers impressed me quite a bit here. I'm mixed on what to give it. I appreciate the fact the film had a more deliberate pace than I was expecting and that it allowed time for the characters to make their mark, but I was also hoping for something more over-the-top than Overlord ended up being. A case of not quite getting what I wanted, but still enjoying what I got.

    4/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  18. #8218
    Don't. Get. Married. Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    7,537
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Yesterday was "Watch Movies All Day" Day

    Christopher Robin - 4 out of 5
    Adam Sandler: 100 Percent Fresh - 3 out of 5
    Against The Night - 1 out of 5
    Blackkklansman - 4 out of 5
    Edge Of Fear - 2 out of 5
    Nun - 2 out of 5
    Searching - 5 out of 5

  19. #8219
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    11,662
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Overlord: Both more and less than what I was expecting. I was expecting there to be more of a 'zombie' feel to it, but there wasn't. There was a strong WWII feel to it though, and the characters were just developed enough and acted just well enough to really support the material. The opening sequence was really well done. The cast of relative newcomers impressed me quite a bit here. I'm mixed on what to give it. I appreciate the fact the film had a more deliberate pace than I was expecting and that it allowed time for the characters to make their mark, but I was also hoping for something more over-the-top than Overlord ended up being. A case of not quite getting what I wanted, but still enjoying what I got.

    4/5
    What about that plane scene in the start though?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  20. #8220
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,197
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.
    That's some big talk right there.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  21. #8221
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,076
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.
    That's some big talk right there.

    Having seen Saving Private Ryan in theatres just last month, the opening of Overlord is solid, but definitely not the best I've seen.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  22. #8222
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    11,662
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Has anyone watched Bird Box yet? Comes out today on Netflix no?

    EDIT: I see that is fro the AFI release and December for us common folk!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  23. #8223
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,197
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.
    That's some big talk right there.
    The opening doesn't quite match Saving Private Ryan, but boy is it freaking close!

    I absolutely had a blast with Overlord. Like Matt, I was expecting more of a "zombie" (horror) film after watching the trailer. I was actually happy Overlord was more of an actual WWII film than anything else.

    I have a soft spot for films that take a tried-and-true genre and put a twist to it. Another great recent example of this is the film Bone Tomahawk. Ironically, Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell and Overlord stars his son Wyatt Russell. Anyway, this is the kind of film we need more of. Take a genre that has worked a million times, but shake it up a little bit.

    It's unfortunate that Overlord did so poorly at the box office. I could have seen this turned into a franchise. I honestly can't figure out mainstream audiences. The studio served up a trailer that should have had them coming out to the theater in droves.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  24. #8224
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    11,662
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The first WW2 scene in the theatre was WOW. Itís the best War scene I have ever seen including the start of Saving Private Ryan.
    That's some big talk right there.
    The opening doesn't quite match Saving Private Ryan, but boy is it freaking close!

    I absolutely had a blast with Overlord. Like Matt, I was expecting more of a "zombie" (horror) film after watching the trailer. I was actually happy Overlord was more of an actual WWII film than anything else.

    I have a soft spot for films that take a tried-and-true genre and put a twist to it. Another great recent example of this is the film Bone Tomahawk. Ironically, Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell and Overlord stars his son Wyatt Russell. Anyway, this is the kind of film we need more of. Take a genre that has worked a million times, but shake it up a little bit.

    It's unfortunate that Overlord did so poorly at the box office. I could have seen this turned into a franchise. I honestly can't figure out mainstream audiences. The studio served up a trailer that should have had them coming out to the theater in droves.
    I had smoked a joint (which I NEVER do but since it is legal... you only live once right?) so for me that was one of the most intense war scenes I have ever seen. I LOVED IT. I also was really hoping for a franchise here. It could have been done so well. This and Upgrade are the best underrated movies most will not see all year...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  25. #8225
    Floating Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Derry, ME
    Posts
    7,272
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Speaking of underperforming movies...what about Suspiria? That was gone from my theater in a week. I didn't expect it to be a huge box office draw, but only a week in theaters? That surprised me.
    "You'll float, too!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 330 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts